C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Another resonator delete believer! $50.00 is all it took in 30 minutes. The humming sound is slightly deeper when cruising at 65-80 mph but quite acceptable. More importantly, the car feels more responsive. On my way home tonight along I-680 in the Bay area, I took it from 75 mph to 140 mph in about 9 secs. Awesome.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really consider the removal of the resonator a mod. It's a no brainer. The car just sounds soooo much better. Cost me $90. It took 30 minutes to remove the resonator and install a SS filler. I had it removed at Lou's Exhaust in Boston!! Great Shop and Nice people!!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I've read all about this resonator delete and have heard many sound clips. I decided to do it a week ago and after listening to the large sound file posted above, I'm convinced something isn't right with mine. I need to have someone jump in my car and do a drive by so I can hear if from the outside, but from what I can tell driving with the windows down, it sounds like a freakin ricer! Between 2-4k rpm under hard acceleration it sounds (to me) exactly like a coffee can exhaust on a civic. It is a much higher pitch ricer sound vs. the deeper, throatier sound I was hoping for. All I had done was the resonator delete. Initially I canted the cats removed but the guy at the shop said they couldnt do anything with the cats or it would jack up the computer. Does anyone else notice the same sound or is everyone else getting a deeper exhaust note? To me my car sounds more like a crotch rocket than a muscle car. I'm thinking of taking it back to the shop and having the guy put it on the lift again so I can take a look for myself on whats what under there...
BTW this thing does feel like it lost allot on the low end. I know several people say it does nothing to your bottom end, but I swear this thing is a pig now unless on the throttle hard in the higher rpm range.
Input appreciated!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Try the so-called throttle-reset.

Insert Key and turn to 'on' (not quite to start the car)
Floor the gas pedal as hard as you can for 5 seconds
With the pedal still floored, turn off the key
Wait 2 minutes (or don't, I've had mixed results with not waiting, so sometimes I do just to see if I can tell a difference - I can)
Start the car and see if the throttle is more responsive and if that doesn't fix the bogging we all get in this car after the goofy throttle has adapted.

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I've read all about this resonator delete and have heard many sound clips. I decided to do it a week ago and after listening to the large sound file posted above, I'm convinced something isn't right with mine. I need to have someone jump in my car and do a drive by so I can hear if from the outside, but from what I can tell driving with the windows down, it sounds like a freakin ricer! Between 2-4k rpm under hard acceleration it sounds (to me) exactly like a coffee can exhaust on a civic. It is a much higher pitch ricer sound vs. the deeper, throatier sound I was hoping for. All I had done was the resonator delete. Initially I canted the cats removed but the guy at the shop said they couldnt do anything with the cats or it would jack up the computer. Does anyone else notice the same sound or is everyone else getting a deeper exhaust note? To me my car sounds more like a crotch rocket than a muscle car. I'm thinking of taking it back to the shop and having the guy put it on the lift again so I can take a look for myself on whats what under there...
BTW this thing does feel like it lost allot on the low end. I know several people say it does nothing to your bottom end, but I swear this thing is a pig now unless on the throttle hard in the higher rpm range.
Input appreciated!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Tried that after I drove the car home from the shop. Didn't make much of a difference (compaired to the first time I ever reset it) so I figured I'd give it a week or 2 too "learn" and remap things. Still a rice covered turd below 4k rpm.

Originally Posted by Bif powell
Try the so-called throttle-reset.

Insert Key and turn to 'on' (not quite to start the car)
Floor the gas pedal as hard as you can for 5 seconds
With the pedal still floored, turn off the key
Wait 2 minutes (or don't, I've had mixed results with not waiting, so sometimes I do just to see if I can tell a difference - I can)
Start the car and see if the throttle is more responsive and if that doesn't fix the bogging we all get in this car after the goofy throttle has adapted.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have the same issues about torque under 2k...

I feel the resonator removal actually helps on top, but when the kompressor is disengaged under 3k, it actually hurts

Remember our cars have a split personality.

under 2900 its a C320

over 2900 its a C320 with ROIDS...

the theory that the resonator will gain Hp and torque is correct for turbo or kompressor, but that is IF the kompressor would "all the time"

With a NA engine, most of the time it would loose torque, but it will gain HP on top.

I'm thinking of putting it back.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Tried that after I drove the car home from the shop. Didn't make much of a difference <SNIP> Still a rice covered turd below 4k rpm.
Originally Posted by TopGun32
i have the same issues about torque under 2k...

<SNIP>
I'm thinking of putting it back.

One thing that may be relevant, is that neither of you have software installed (i.e. Powerchip) that will take advantage of the slightly increased flow/reduced back-pressure. I say MAY be relevant, because I really don't know - but I am really interested in both of your experiences as I have the reso-delete pipe ready to go on myself.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I deleted the resonator when I was otherwise 100% bone stock. I didn't notice and power decrease or increase anywhere. The only thing that I did notice was the dramatically improved tone.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I am 100% stock as well at this point. At this point I'm debating whether I want to throw money into a stage 2 with all the bells and whistles or dump the car and jump up to a Kleeman 55 or stock 65 AMG.
Regardless, I'm taking the car back to the shop that did my work tomorrow on my lunch break and will see if they removed too much/not enough, etc. Am I crazy or did I read somewhere there was more than 1 resonator? I know there is more than 1 Cat, so I may be getting them confused...
Also, at lunch I kept it on "manual" shifting and it's night and day vs. full auto. Keeping the R's up this thing runs like a raped ape....but then again that was true before removing the resonator.
I still don't understand why my exhaust note is so high pitched and "rattly" sounding. Hopefully will know more tomorrow I guess.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
There isn't any way to remove too much or too little of the resonator. You'd know if you had an exhaust leak.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM

2012 E63, 2016 1299
Originally Posted by pointman
thanks for the link.

anyone know what a 'supercharger muffler' is, and how to remove it?

the video in that link makes reference to it.
is there such a thing?

I know I have had turbo cars in the past that had such devices.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM

2012 E63, 2016 1299
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/163504-supercharger-silencer-want-more-sound.html