C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Campaign

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
C32 Campaign

My car has about 2 months/8k miles left on the warranty so I'm really hammering on my dealer for the things they were blaming on winter tires, bad roads, etc...

When I brought it in today for:

*Intermittent power availability/abrupt power cut-off at high rpms
*Corrosion on rear, passenger roof-line (1 inch X 1 inch patch)
*1500 rpm torque converter dissengagement (AGAIN!!! - they didn't load the new software in last time when they cleared the adaptation to get rid of it)
*Vibration at 40-50mph when cold
*Moon-roof seal leaky/sticking to roof on operation
*Wandering mirrors
*Oil leaking from electrical connections

I asked them to check the MAP and inter-cooler pump for codes and replace the MAP even if it was OK - goes out enough, why not? Replacing the radiator with the suggested replacement, even though my glycol test turned out OK.

When I checked in he goes "you have an open campaign for 'Air Injection Pump Relay'" and he said that could definitely be the cause of my intermittent power issues. Any feedback or experience with this thing is welcome. I also thought maybe it could be the fuel-pump?...

More when I get the car back. With the warranty almost up, it's sort of a bitter-sweet deal. Bitter in that stuff will start to cost money now if it breaks, but sweet in that, I'm getting ready for mods and anything that breaks I will then be more willing to replace on my own with a more robust or higher performance part than MB would replace it with under warranty.

Suspension, then Kleemann ECU and pulley kit.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
i say sell it or trade it in. personally I wouldn't deal with any MB's after the warranty expires.

my 04 is now at 37,800K and the check engine light decided to come up, not too long after I had a new fuel pump which left me stranded. That piece of kraut is really starting to fall apart.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i agree...

i'm seriously thinking of getting something else within one year.

I know there are many people that have their c32's over 100k miles, but the price to own will start becoming a draw back.

I'm seriously going to consider the new 335i coupe as my daily driver. Eventhough initially the power won't be there, it will eventually see some mods.

Here are my top picks
used E55k (50k+)
new 335 (45k+)
new C55/C63 (55k+ not sure when released)
IS coupe or sedan with V8 (rumors to be released next year)
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by ultraseven
my 04 is now at 37,800K
Well with 37 million miles I can see why

In all seriousness, I went into this knowing that it would be a service nightmare and I'm going to be doing all the service myself once the warranty is up. In the next couple years, this will basically just slowly morph into a weekend-only racer and I'm sure at some point I'll end up replacing just about component in the car at one point or another.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Just for fun I thought I would list the stuff I have had fixed since I bought the car 6 months ago.. Before me there were 3 full pages of repairs.. UG!

Thrust arms - replaced
Sway bar bushings - replaced
Motor mounts - replaced
Electronic seat module - replaced (they say that the seat tracks are worn which caused the seat module to short out and will cost $1100 to replace and not covered by extended warranty, i said replace the seat module and forget it)
Air conditioning module in console came loose? Fixed
Tranny seal - replaced (I think the torque converter or the software is still screwed up)

Current problems:
Heated seat drivers side just went out.
Passengers side mirror doesn't turn down/work when backing up now

Known previous issues - I have the replacement radiator so I assume that was already fixed. The rear screen was replaced. Water pump too..

Bif.. make sure you dont already have the new radiator.. I though i would need my replaced but i already have the new one.. I believe its called Tumic or something..

I am at 92k miles now.. overall I am pretty happy with the car still.. Was going to keep it well past 100k miles.. we will see what happens.. I already have the bug to buy a new car.. lol.. I really like the new CLS.. From the pics I have seen the new C class may look fairly similar.. except for the flaired fenders..
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bif powell
When I checked in he goes "you have an open campaign for 'Air Injection Pump Relay'" and he said that could definitely be the cause of my intermittent power issues. Any feedback or experience with this thing is welcome. I also thought maybe it could be the fuel-pump?...
I'm not an expert, but the Air Injection system is emissions equipment, and from what I've been told, the Air Pump only comes on for about 10 seconds when the car is started (and the engine is ambient temperature). So, I don't think there's any way your issues can be related to the air pump or relay; I'm getting my air pump relay replaced via the same "campaign" next week.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by amgmark
Just for fun I thought I would list the stuff I have had fixed since I bought the car 6 months ago.. Before me there were 3 full pages of repairs.. UG!

Thrust arms - replaced
Sway bar bushings - replaced
Motor mounts - replaced
Electronic seat module - replaced (they say that the seat tracks are worn which caused the seat module to short out and will cost $1100 to replace and not covered by extended warranty, i said replace the seat module and forget it)
Air conditioning module in console came loose? Fixed
Tranny seal - replaced (I think the torque converter or the software is still screwed up)

Current problems:
Heated seat drivers side just went out.
Passengers side mirror doesn't turn down/work when backing up now

Known previous issues - I have the replacement radiator so I assume that was already fixed. The rear screen was replaced. Water pump too..

Bif.. make sure you dont already have the new radiator.. I though i would need my replaced but i already have the new one.. I believe its called Tumic or something..

I am at 92k miles now.. overall I am pretty happy with the car still.. Was going to keep it well past 100k miles.. we will see what happens.. I already have the bug to buy a new car.. lol.. I really like the new CLS.. From the pics I have seen the new C class may look fairly similar.. except for the flaired fenders..
Why did you have to replace your motor mounts?

Also, "Electronic seat module - replaced (they say that the seat tracks are worn which caused the seat module to short out and will cost $1100 to replace and not covered by extended warranty, i said replace the seat module and forget it)"

---I find it odd this was not replaced under warranty!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by wawy
Why did you have to replace your motor mounts?
They said the motor mounts had collapsed.

Originally Posted by wawy
Also, "Electronic seat module - replaced (they say that the seat tracks are worn which caused the seat module to short out and will cost $1100 to replace and not covered by extended warranty, i said replace the seat module and forget it)"

---I find it odd this was not replaced under warranty
I too found this odd. They said the tracks were worn from use.. so it's not faulty equipment. Also it's not electrical, the tracks have a groove in them from the seat going back and forth too much..??
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

C32
Originally Posted by amgmark
They said the motor mounts had collapsed.

I too found this odd. They said the tracks were worn from use.. so it's not faulty equipment. Also it's not electrical, the tracks have a groove in them from the seat going back and forth too much..??
what the hell? was it supposed to be a rocking chair?

that is one seriously odd argument against replacing the whole module.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM

2002 c32
This campaign - 'Air Injection Pump Relay' - according to the tech I did a ride-along with today said this was just reprogramming the ECU in some way.

Also, he seemed to indicate that suggesting the MAP could get fouled by oily filters was insane and that everyone (or just me I suppose) was getting MAF and MAP mixed up, but I swear I've seen discussions about the MAP getting screwed up by filters, but maybe it's just that it goes out in general.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
I just opened a letter from MB about this campaign.
The Campagn # 2006-030011
"MB has deteemined that the software for the engine control unit need to be upgraded to correct a potential malfunction that could render the secondary air injection pump relay ionperable ...."

This effects 2002-2006 AMG SLK, C, E, CL, S, CLS, SL and G.
Also 2005-2006 SLR.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
got that letter to, and I just had that secondary pump replaced and I'm gonna bring my reciped so they can refund me my money.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
recieved the notice today, also

The note says, it is an ECU software upgrade and they replace the air pump relay.

On cars with a MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor), oil from a K/N filter can get on
the hot wire sensor and goof up the response of the meter. This used to happen on Mustangs.

If the MB has only the MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) sensor, then there is
no issue with the filter.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:09 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by m444
The note says, it is an ECU software upgrade and they replace the air pump relay.

On cars with a MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor), oil from a K/N filter can get on
the hot wire sensor and goof up the response of the meter. This used to happen on Mustangs.

If the MB has only the MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) sensor, then there is
no issue with the filter.
Why would a MAP failure of some kind cause a loss of power?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
The ECU (computer) controls operation of the engine. The programing only works properly, when the sensors, which tell the system, what the current conditions
are, work properly.

If you were suddenly blind, while driving down the freeway, what would happen? What course of action would your programing cause you to do? It's the same issue with the sensors in your car. If they are working properly, then the programing will make sense. If one goes silent or is in error, the result will not be
correct (which can mean lost power).
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by m444
The ECU (computer) controls operation of the engine. The programing only works properly, when the sensors, which tell the system, what the current conditions
are, work properly.

If you were suddenly blind, while driving down the freeway, what would happen? What course of action would your programing cause you to do? It's the same issue with the sensors in your car. If they are working properly, then the programing will make sense. If one goes silent or is in error, the result will not be
correct (which can mean lost power).
I'm down with all that, but specifically what's going on? - the MAP is failing completely and so the ECU is just more conservative in the boost it lets in or is it capable of shutting down the supercharger in much the same way it would be shut-down for getting too hot?...etc...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:03 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
Most automotive ECUs are programmed to go into a 'limp home' mode, when it goes blind (a sensor goes bad). This means conservative programming and limited power output.