C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

1FASTC32's Cheep Intercooler Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
they sell it by the gallon, you will use about half a gallon
Old 07-09-2006, 03:08 PM

2012 GL550
If the intercooler pump isn't working properly and doesn't seem to be working most of the time, is it bad to drive the car? It's overall sluggish feeling and not as responsive probably from high IAT, but its very obvious sometimes when I'm on the freeway when the S/C is completely shut off and pushing down on the pedal doesn't have much response. I'm waiting for the new pump to arrive and I just wanted to make sure its not bad for the car or for the S/C if I keep driving it. I understand the shutoff is to prevent the S/C from burning up.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bnz616
If the intercooler pump isn't working properly and doesn't seem to be working most of the time, is it bad to drive the car? It's overall sluggish feeling and not as responsive probably from high IAT, but its very obvious sometimes when I'm on the freeway when the S/C is completely shut off and pushing down on the pedal doesn't have much response. I'm waiting for the new pump to arrive and I just wanted to make sure its not bad for the car or for the S/C if I keep driving it. I understand the shutoff is to prevent the S/C from burning up.

no, the supercharger shutoff is to save you from blowing up your engine....

it won't hurt anything to run it right now, just take it easy until you get the new pump...
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
no, the supercharger shutoff is to save you from blowing up your engine....

it won't hurt anything to run it right now, just take it easy until you get the new pump...
Uh, friendly disagreement.

Your S/C is shutting off because it is overheating...reaching max temp before protective shutoff. This can't be good for the longevity of the S/C. I would say, drive like a granny, and replace as soon as possible.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:32 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Vomit
Uh, friendly disagreement.

Your S/C is shutting off because it is overheating...reaching max temp before protective shutoff. This can't be good for the longevity of the S/C. I would say, drive like a granny, and replace as soon as possible.
incorrect, the supercharger is shutting down because the AIT sensor is reading too high a temperature coming into the engine...it is to protect the engine against detonation...the supercharger is just a mechanical device that compresses the air, it stays at those high temperatures all the time...the intercooler is what cools the air after it has been through the supercharger...

i do agree with taking it easy though...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 AM

2012 GL550
incorrect, the supercharger is shutting down because the AIT sensor is reading too high a temperature coming into the engine...it is to protect the engine against detonation...the supercharger is just a mechanical device that compresses the air, it stays at those high temperatures all the time...the intercooler is what cools the air after it has been through the supercharger...

So the air that comes out of the supercharger is always very hot? I think I should read up on how the system works when I get some time.

I'm assuming the IC pump not working properly could be potentially more harmful to the engine than to the S/C? =\
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
SPONSOR

So the air that comes out of the supercharger is always very hot? I think I should read up on how the system works when I get some time.

I'm assuming the IC pump not working properly could be potentially more harmful to the engine than to the S/C? =\
yes, as long as the supercharger is engaged...

and you are correct, the potential hazard is to the engine, not the supercharger...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal

I hate being wrong. So what cools the S/C?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 PM
SPONSOR

I hate being wrong. So what cools the S/C?
nothing, the intercooler cools the air coming out of the supercharger...the supercharger doesn't need to be cooled (except maybe the bearings cooled and lubricated by the engine oil, if you want to get technical), just the air coming out of it...
Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
I think my IC pump is going out, is it possible for the pump to be intermittent. When I start the car and run for a minute and turn off I can hear the pump running after I turn the car off.

My symptom is highway driving and SC not engaging and the lawnmower affect. This is after sitting in heavy highway traffic.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 AM

2002 c32 /////amg
Originally Posted by chyates
I think my IC pump is going out, is it possible for the pump to be intermittent. When I start the car and run for a minute and turn off I can hear the pump running after I turn the car off.

My symptom is highway driving and SC not engaging and the lawnmower affect. This is after sitting in heavy highway traffic.
mine would do the same thing, i took it in, they told me that its GOING out. so im guessing it can be intermittent. mine would go out at higher speeds (65+) and when on hot days.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 AM

2012 GL550
Just got my new pump from Diversified products, Bosch part number 0 392 022 002. As for the cutting of the wires and connecting, does it matter which wire goes on which male post? I notice the posts are pretty small.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
look at it closely you will see a positive and a negative
Old 07-15-2006, 05:20 AM

2002 c32 /////amg
Just got my new pump from Diversified products, Bosch part number 0 392 022 002. As for the cutting of the wires and connecting, does it matter which wire goes on which male post? I notice the posts are pretty small.

Thanks.
if i remember right the wire colors on the car are red and brown, red being the positive. just match that up with the pump. it has a +/- etched by the connection on the pump. its important that you dont mix it up. good luck.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 PM

2006 E55
Thanks again guys this post saved me big $$$$. Damn near cover the cost of my H&R coilovers!!!

FYI the connector I used to connect the new pump was an old bosch connector from a spare wiring harness. I soldered it into the stock wiring harness. Factory looking and watertight. This will make future pump swaps easier.

Last edited by C32madness; 07-29-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Not an AMG :(
I'm getting ready to change mine (got it for $61 on e-bay . Did you disconnect the ground on your battery before you changed yours - or does it really matter?
Thanks to everyone for a great write up on the topic!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by C32madness
Thanks again guys this post saved me big $$$$. Damn near cover the cost of my H&R coilovers!!!

FYI the connector I used to connect the new pump was an old bosch connector from a spare wiring harness. I soldered it into the stock wiring harness. Factory looking and watertight. This will make future pump swaps easier.
I thought about trying to obtain the plug for the new pump, but decided the hassle was not worth it. Where did you get the plug from?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 PM

2006 E55
I thought about trying to obtain the plug for the new pump, but decided the hassle was not worth it. Where did you get the plug from?
Old spare harness. The plug type is a standard bosch type. It is the same as fuel injectors (but the wires are to small to use one of those) you can use an old injector as a sample.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
1FASTC32 -

Thanks for sharing the Lightning pump install. Followed your instructions to the letter. Always pleasant to perform a task and enjoy instant results. I'll get to Irwindale and make some baseline runs, pronto. Let the mods begin...

P.S. Is there another AMG in your future?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by John Goodlad
1FASTC32 -

Thanks for sharing the Lightning pump install. Followed your instructions to the letter. Always pleasant to perform a task and enjoy instant results. I'll get to Irwindale and make some baseline runs, pronto. Let the mods begin...

P.S. Is there another AMG in your future?
OK, since everyone is asking...here is the scoop on why i am selling my car.

i am selling the car for 3 reasons:

1. i need something bigger, so i am buying my dad's diesel suburban because i can pay cash for it and it still gets 20mpg...

2. i need to free up some money to fix my evo8, i blew-up the motor and ecu, it is going to be expensive...don't ask how i did it, i still am not sure how it happened, the shop is looking at it.

3. i am contemplating getting an E55 or something with the words Renntech and twin-turbo....
Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i just bought my pump.. .my car is really in need of it.

I will install this week-end.

This will be my last engine work on the car. From this now on, only cosmetic things to prep for sale.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:16 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Gents, any pictures of the Ford pump you can post or an ebay link to ensure a correct purchase?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
i just bought my pump.. .my car is really in need of it.

I will install this week-end.

This will be my last engine work on the car. From this now on, only cosmetic things to prep for sale.
finally is on....

I paid a local mechanic $60 to install and I tipped him $15.

It took like 2 hours total..

very easy.

car runs normal now.. and I have not felt constant power of this car for a long time..

after a few runs, I was grinning more than my E55.

i'm thinking of keeping it..

there is a bit of hesitation still.. but I think its due to the "no resonator"...

i'm putting it back.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:03 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by TopGun32
finally is on....

I paid a local mechanic $60 to install and I tipped him $15.

It took like 2 hours total..

very easy.

car runs normal now.. and I have not felt constant power of this car for a long time..

after a few runs, I was grinning more than my E55.

i'm thinking of keeping it..

there is a bit of hesitation still.. but I think its due to the "no resonator"...

i'm putting it back.
if i had the money to buy an E55, i would not hesitate to sell the C32...
Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if i had the money to buy an E55, i would not hesitate to sell the C32...
now that I have both..

the c32 feels so much more nimble.. and light...

the E55 is so much smoother and powerful, but believe it or not.. coming from a pulley C32 and E55 is not a GIANT difference.. in terms of speed.

E55 is by far faster vs stock C32, but with a nice C32 Stage 2 set up, you will be not far away.

I needed the space for the my 2 little boys and the E is perfect.

I thinking of buying a used Acura or Honda to beat around, but I'm tempted to keep the C32 for 2 more years and pay it off.

I do also have an SUV for the wife and kids.. .so its tough choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1FASTC32's Cheep Intercooler Pump Replacement