C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

1FASTC32's Cheep Intercooler Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TopGun32
now that I have both..

the c32 feels so much more nimble.. and light...

the E55 is so much smoother and powerful, but believe it or not.. coming from a pulley C32 and E55 is not a GIANT difference.. in terms of speed.

E55 is by far faster vs stock C32, but with a nice C32 Stage 2 set up, you will be not far away.

I needed the space for the my 2 little boys and the E is perfect.

I thinking of buying a used Acura or Honda to beat around, but I'm tempted to keep the C32 for 2 more years and pay it off.

I do also have an SUV for the wife and kids.. .so its tough choice.
good feedback on both...i feel you on the size, there are days that i wish the C32 was bigger, and they are days that i am glad that its not...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:18 PM

there is a bit of hesitation still.. but I think its due to the "no resonator"...

i'm putting it back.

Make sure to let us know if you see an improvement in that after replacing the resonator. I have a reso-replacement pipe ready to install, but I'm not in a hurry and your experience will be a help.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by m3_eater
Make sure to let us know if you see an improvement in that after replacing the resonator. I have a reso-replacement pipe ready to install, but I'm not in a hurry and your experience will be a help.
will do.

I have plugs, and wires, a new IC pump and my transmission was replaced 1 year ago...(due to the shifting jerk)

I reset my car atleast once a week.. so i'm thinking its the lack of resonator "a bit more back end pressure"

I know the resonator is not much, but I think it does make a small difference.
its only felt under 2900 rpms.. when the kompressor is not on.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altima
Why isn't this stickied?

Best thread ever.

I am the least handy person of all time. I had no confidence in myself when I started to fix this, but it was a *snap*. Simple, easy, effective. Just the way it should be. I was able to fix my pump this weekend, with the help of my girlfriend (p.s. She's one of those girls who's into Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan... i.e... not a mechanice). Anyway, this is a simple fix, and there's 0.00% reason to go to the dealer for this. EVERYONE, DO THIS NOW!!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by drallafi
Best thread ever.

I am the least handy person of all time. I had no confidence in myself when I started to fix this, but it was a *snap*. Simple, easy, effective. Just the way it should be. I was able to fix my pump this weekend, with the help of my girlfriend (p.s. She's one of those girls who's into Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan... i.e... not a mechanice). Anyway, this is a simple fix, and there's 0.00% reason to go to the dealer for this. EVERYONE, DO THIS NOW!!
Dopey question. When you take off the old pump, do you lose coolant? When you put the new pump on, do you do anything to refill the system or prime the new pump?

PS: Ford Racing is offering $10 off ($89) for the pump right now. I've ordered one for the eventual failure.http://www.buyfordracing.com

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 01-03-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
there is a bit of hesitation still.. but I think its due to the "no resonator"...

i'm putting it back.
In know it's off topic but, I noticed my "jerk" is almost completely gone after removing the resonator. WooHoo!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Dopey question. When you take off the old pump, do you lose coolant? When you put the new pump on, do you do anything to refill the system or prime the new pump?

PS: Ford Racing is offering $10 off ($89) for the pump right now. I've ordered one for the eventual failure.http://www.buyfordracing.com
yes, you will loose coolant...if you are not going to run a product like water wetter with straight distilled water, then go buy the mercedes specific coolant so you don't corrode your intercooler...refill it until the level stops going down after you have everything back together...i had to do this 3 or 4 times myself...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM

MB C32 AMG
Ya, you'll loose coolant. You can clamp the hose but why not put fresh coolant.. oh and don't forget coolant 50/50 Big difference after replacing the pump
Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by john89011
Ya, you'll loose coolant. You can clamp the hose but why not put fresh coolant.. oh and don't forget coolant 50/50 Big difference after replacing the pump
Hey, maybe install a T-fitting and use the pump as a quick-coolant change device!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Hey, maybe install a T-fitting and use the pump as a quick-coolant change device!
I like where this is going.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Gents, any pictures of the Ford pump you can post or an ebay link to ensure a correct purchase?
http://www.key-ideas.com/DG_AirtoWaterICPump.htm

the bigger one is bosch from lightning
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 AM

C32 AMG
Exchanging i/c pump over the weekend

I'm planning to replace my i/c pump this weekend.
Does anybody know what kind of coolant I have to buy?
Or it has to be from MB?
Thanx in advance.
Jack
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jacek9478
Or it has to be from MB?
Thanx in advance.
Jack
I would buy it from MB, or a top notch brand that SPECIFICALLY states that it meets MB standards. I would not touch one of the "universal" coolants that claim to work in all systems.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Or it has to be from MB?
Thanx in advance.
Jack
Or you could just catch the coolant that might be lost in a container and use that to refill. Or you can buy a $15 gallon of coolant at MB and use maybe a tenth of it.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM

C32 AMG
Last minute advise please

I hope this will be last question.
R there any triks or problems I could encounter playing w/ replacemant?
I will be on very tight schedule to do it, so I'd like to be prepared for any suprises. I will have only 3 hrs to do it. It is one of those deals either it is this weekend or next opportunity in a month or so.
Any input greatly appriciated.
Jack
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I will be on very tight schedule to do it, so I'd like to be prepared for any suprises. I will have only 3 hrs to do it. It is one of those deals either it is this weekend or next opportunity in a month or so.
Jack

Make sure you have all of the tools needed and some liquid electrical tape if you are using the ford pump.

If you are using the Ford pump and don't want to cut your harness, then you will need about 6 inches of wire and some ends / crimper, so you can tie into the mb harness. I chose to go this route, so the next owner of the car would have their choice as to which pump they wanted to install.

I would also have a large container handy to catch the old fluid.

Other than that, it will be a piece of cake.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 AM

C32 AMG
Thank you Jerry!
Tools and parts are no problem, all I'm concerned is the time involved.
I'm not a mechanic but I happened to be part owner of Truck repair shop, so I have tools and space ( if we are not too busy ). I have to squize btw trucks and do it quick, during my Sons Saturday school ( 9-1:30).
Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM

Hey jacek, your sig has me curious: how exactly did a dealer smash your Grand Prix while you were away on a test drive?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
SPONSOR

Jack
personally, i would wait then...it is not that hard a job, but if for some reason you run into a problem and need to go get something and have a hard time finding it, then it blows your time window out of the water...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:01 PM

C32 AMG
I took C32 home for 2 days( dealer is located aprox. 50 miles from my home)
so I left GP at their lot. When I came back (was going to keep my GP) Salesman had a very strange look on his face when i told him to give me back my car. (no contract yet). Poor Guy had a "heart attack". Called the owner and from Him I found out what happend. Since the GP was in their lot they had somebody interested in buying. So he send one of mechanics to fill it up b4 test drive. He only made it out of lot to the street when had close encounter w/ Suburban.
It was about 2 months of negotiation b4 I signed a contract (of course enjoing C32 all the time). I think I got pretty good deal out of it.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:17 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
Replaced my faulty pump today. Job v easy thanks to great advice and pics here. Opened up the old one to see why it had failed at 29,000 miles. Brushes worn out!! One brush about twice as worn as the other. From its orientation, it was the top one worn out. Turned my attention to the bearings. Bearing at the pump end of motor had a load of slack/wobble in it. I'm not a betting man, but I reckon this pump should be installed vertically. Had a look on the merc parts 'fiche at the dealer. In their pics the pump sits vertically!! I am going to go back to this and see if there is room for vertical mounting, but to be honest it probably ended up horizontally because there isn't room.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by gaz
Replaced my faulty pump today. Job v easy thanks to great advice and pics here. Opened up the old one to see why it had failed at 29,000 miles. Brushes worn out!! One brush about twice as worn as the other. From its orientation, it was the top one worn out. Turned my attention to the bearings. Bearing at the pump end of motor had a load of slack/wobble in it. I'm not a betting man, but I reckon this pump should be installed vertically. Had a look on the merc parts 'fiche at the dealer. In their pics the pump sits vertically!! I am going to go back to this and see if there is room for vertical mounting, but to be honest it probably ended up horizontally because there isn't room.

Thanks again guys!!
interesting info...i think there is room for it to sit vertically, but it is easier to place it horizontally because of the way that the hoses are routed...just my .02
Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
1Fast:

I'm having trouble cobbling together the wiring (matching the Lightening plug). I can't find a female plug at Radio Shack that is narrow enough to use on the two posts (they're about 1/16 inch wide and 1/16 inch apart). Am I missing something?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:40 PM
SPONSOR

1Fast:

I'm having trouble cobbling together the wiring (matching the Lightening plug). I can't find a female plug at Radio Shack that is narrow enough to use on the two posts (they're about 1/16 inch wide and 1/16 inch apart). Am I missing something?
no you are not missing anything...i used a couple of regular female connectors and cut them in half with wire cutters and crimped them down so they would stay in place once they were connected to the pump (i used the kind that have the plastic sheath on the outside to prevent the two from making contact...then faced the open/cut off part toward the outside of the pump)

if this is not making any sense, just PM me your number and i can call and explain in a little more detail or try to send some pics...
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
1Fast:

I had this same problem. I ended up just soldering the wires to the posts inside the plug. Its not pretty, but worked great. I have had no problems for about 2 months. I am quite sure there are female plugs that fit. I just couldnt find any at the time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1FASTC32's Cheep Intercooler Pump Replacement