C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Question for those who have taken their cars in for service campaign 2006-030011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Ok.. I have the wiggling problem too.. I have been feeling it when creeping up on a light. Basically when slowing down for a light.. or when getting ready to take off..

Get this.. I just had my tranny rebuilt on Friday.. the car was gone for a week while getting the service campaign and the rebuilt tranny. Today, Sunday I get home from shopping with the wife, put the car in Park and it keeps going forward, reverse keeps going forward... put back in park and turned off car with ebrake on.. now the car won't start cause it thinks its in gear I guess.. wtf.. back to the dealer yet again.. UG..

I tried the reset and it did not help the wiggling problem. I also seem to have loss of power at times.. usually when needed of course..

good thing this happened when i got home.. if this would have happened at the mall there would be some serious hell to pay..

Last edited by amgmark; 05-21-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
the car is on its way back to the dealer.. Flatbed is on the way
Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I was checking on my car today and I do feel a slight shaking on start up. but after warm up its ok.

my question is when is the secondary air pump soupose to run?

i just check it on cold start and that thing didnt turn on? maybe this is why we have the shaking. i know before that thing starts when the car is cold.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG Maserati Coupe GT
I am also lossing S/C

Did a 2 hours of freeway driving. All the way, I got no S/C power at all. It felt just like C320 (I drove a C320 before so I knew), no power going uphill, no power during overtake. As soon as I got off freeway, and stopped at a stop sign, then put my foot down, power was back on.

My conclusion from today is, S/C is OK when pulling from standing still (0-60 no problem). When you need to down shift, like on overtaking on freeway or going uphill, the S/C, most of the time, won't kick in.

The rough engine happens in both cold and hot, and when brake is also lightly applied.

I am going into the dealer tomorrow, asking them to pull out the codes again. (Still no "check engine" light on)

Last edited by dchao; 05-22-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 PM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by dchao
Did a 2 hours of freeway driving. All the way, I got no S/C power at all. It felt just like C320 (I drove a C320 before so I knew), no power going uphill, no power during overtake. As soon as I got off freeway, and stopped at a stop sign, then put my foot down, power was back on.

My conclusion from today is, S/C is OK when pulling from standing still (0-60 no problem). When you need to down shift, like on overtaking on freeway or going uphill, the S/C, most of the time, won't kick in.

The rough engine happens in both cold and hot, and when brake is also lightly applied.

I am going into the dealer tomorrow, asking them to pull out the codes again. (Still no "check engine" light on)

Same conclusion here about the S/C shut-off. did a little research and it seems like it could be a number of things:
Secondary air injection Pump -- this has to do with emissions so I'm not sure how it could cause the S/C to shut-off. my error code indicates I have a dead Secondary Air pump.
or
I/C pump
or
Fuel Pump
or
Air pump
Taking the car this week to the dealership for a diagnostic report on the S/C shut-off.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM

2003 C32 AMG
'03 - C32 - Rough Idle, s/c not kicking in, tranny shake

Add me to the list of people with loss of power from the service recall.

I was having the rough idle problem. Engine sounded like a diesel at times. Took it in, and they told me the engine mounts were worn - on a car with 33,000 miles! They replaced the mounts and things seemed OK.

Then I noticed the tranny thunking - what I mean is that when I put the car on reverse and then on Drive, the car shakes. This made me nervous since I've had a new tranny put in a while ago. At that time, the problem was that radiator coolant had gotten into the tranny, it was slipping and they had to replace it.

Plus the rough idle was back - sound like a clattering noise. So I took it in, and also had them do the recall. They said they couldn't recreate the rough idle or the tranny thunking.

Now, I still have the tranny thunking, the rough idle is still there, but now I have the loss of power. Like others have said, it seems like a C320 at times, and then has the rocket effect at other times.

THIS SUCKS!

Time to Call the dealer again, before my warranty runs out in a few months!

Nav
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by BLK_HALO
my error code indicates I have a dead Secondary Air pump.
or
I/C pump
or
Fuel Pump
or
Air pump
My code from the last dealer read out was "Intake Air Temp too high", which is making a lot of sense, since if the IAT is too high, this will shut off the S/C. Any failure of the pumps you mentioned could have caused the overheating.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My code from the last dealer read out was "Intake Air Temp too high", which is making a lot of sense, since if the IAT is too high, this will shut off the S/C. Any failure of the pumps you mentioned could have caused the overheating.
Sounds like the S/C clutch is not engaging due to the IAT temps. A common problem on the W211 E55 from what I read in that forum. I don't think the E55's have a recall for the pumps though.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:18 AM

C63, SLK55
I read somewhere in the forum that a dead secondary air injection pump could cause the S/C to shut off. I believe it was a post by trekman. But from what I understand, the function of the sec air injection pump has nothing to do with S/C and everything to do with emissions. That’s the only thing the dealer told me I need to replace and they quoted me $1200, but I'm not sure that this will fix my power loss issue. and I don't think I will dish $1200 on an emissions part, I'm planing to replace it my self since it seems to be a simple job I can easily do myself.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:36 AM

2012 GL550
Originally Posted by Trekman
I was checking on my car today and I do feel a slight shaking on start up. but after warm up its ok.

my question is when is the secondary air pump soupose to run?
I'm wondering the same, does this pump also turn on when the car stopped for a short period of time?...for example at a stoplight or just once initially on cold start? Some pump used to come on a lot when I was waiting at a light, it comes on less now and it seems (I'm not sure though) like when the shaking is happening and I hear a pump go off, it smooths out...hmm. *shrug*

Yeah it's getting quite annoying. I wish they would reprogram the ECU to the old settings/configurations. Your lost of power sounds like symptoms of the IC pump failing, any idea if your IC pump is running properly? Seems like from other posts on the topic, the IAT would be high if the pump wasn't working properly and cause the SC to "turn itself off" so that it wouldn't burn up.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

secondary pump is different it is located on the passenger side right behind the head light. Intercooler pump is on the driver side in front of the front tire. remove the plastic and you will see the pump.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
secondary pump is different it is located on the passenger side right behind the head light. Intercooler pump is on the driver side in front of the front tire. remove the plastic and you will see the pump.
Intercooler pump is on the passenger side, not the driver side.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I remember checking it before intercooler pump is behind the front driver side fog lap.... I have replaced the secondary air pump myself and its on the passenger side
Old 05-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Almost a Member!

I remember checking it before intercooler pump is behind the front driver side fog lap.... I have replaced the secondary air pump myself and its on the passenger side
Trekman, you are correct, the foreman at the dealer showed me where the secondary air pump was and it was on the passenger side behind the radiator. It will switch on when you start the car in the morning when the engine is cold and pump air into the catalyst converter.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

after the recall I dont hear that thing turn on like before.... and that thing is new I tested it the other day it ran ok. can you ask your sevice guy what the programing did to the secondary air pump. and I will ask mine and see what answer we get.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Almost a Member!

after the recall I dont hear that thing turn on like before.... and that thing is new I tested it the other day it ran ok. can you ask your sevice guy what the programing did to the secondary air pump. and I will ask mine and see what answer we get.
The foreman did tell me the ECU update has changed the on/off timer for the secondary air injection pump. Because I kept pushing him to admit that the ECU update has also made my I/C pump inoperative (since I'm out of warranty).

I am going to pickup my car today. They replaced the IC pump already and told me the car was fixed, they tested the pump and it was open circuit (dead). I still can't figure out how a service campaign on secondary air injection pump could have caused the IC pump to fail. But it could just be a co-instance. But BNZ616 is also having the same problem after the same campaign
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The foreman did tell me the ECU update has changed the on/off timer for the secondary air injection pump. Because I kept pushing him to admit that the ECU update has also made my I/C pump inoperative (since I'm out of warranty).
:

what dealer did you take your car to?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The pump runs at different times. In had one go bad and when I cleared the code the car would run for hours with no check engine light. Then all of a sudden on the freeway the light would come on. You would think it would come on right away if the pump runs on start up?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Can anyone give an update on this? My car is still in the shop and probably will be until tomorrow or Monday. I have the vibration and loss of power too.. Anyone that has had this fixed know what the problem was caused by?

dchao, trekman, nchakra.. anyone get this resolved??? I want to call the dealer asap and make sure this gets fixed while my car is there.. Its already been there two weeks and I don't want to get the car back only to realize the problem is still there and have to take it back..
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgmark
Can anyone give an update on this? My car is still in the shop and probably will be until tomorrow or Monday. I have the vibration and loss of power too.. Anyone that has had this fixed know what the problem was caused by?

dchao, trekman, nchakra.. anyone get this resolved??? I want to call the dealer asap and make sure this gets fixed while my car is there.. Its already been there two weeks and I don't want to get the car back only to realize the problem is still there and have to take it back..
My car has a slight shake when cold but when warm its ok. I did replace my sparkplugs, fuel filter, spark plug wires, and oil a week ago and my car is a lot smoother since then and no problems. DChao might have more insight on this.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Trekman,

SF Mercedes on Folsom. They are expesive, but usually very responsive.

Where do you get yours done?

My loss of power was due to the dead - IC PUMP (no supprises there)

They also replaced the lower control arm bushings.

The linkage for AC vent stepper motor is broken, but I haven't fixed that yet. I can hear the low level whining noise from the motor everytime I switch on/off the car, but it will stop after about 1min. It doesn't bother me that much.

Last edited by dchao; 05-26-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB of walnut creek they are ok I guess.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by amgmark
I tried the reset and it did not help the wiggling problem. I also seem to have loss of power at times.. usually when needed of course..
Ok.. so I was doing the ecu reset wrong.. I wasn't turning the key to the right position.. this seems to have made a big difference. The SC was only turning on like 50% of the time.. after the ecu reset.. it was coming on everytime I floored it.. Will need to drive more to see if the vibration is gone..
Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I talked to a MB tech today about this, he told me that they had some complain about cars having rough Idle during start up. he said he has seen this and its because of the 10% Ethanol blend that US started using on all gas. if your car is shaking on start up then it might be because of the 10% ethanol that is added on fuel. if your car is still doing it after warm up then something is wrong.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I talked to a MB tech today about this, he told me that they had some complain about cars having rough Idle during start up. he said he has seen this and its because of the 10% Ethanol blend that US started using on all gas. if your car is shaking on start up then it might be because of the 10% ethanol that is added on fuel. if your car is still doing it after warm up then something is wrong.
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. Our standard w203 (any varient) was not designed to run on ethanol. Ethanol is a corrosive and running it in our engines would void our warranties. This site might shed some light on ethanol...http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/flextech.shtml

Flex fuel cars were designed to handle Ethanol. Here in California, we phased out MTBE's several years ago but I have never heard of MTBE's being replaced with ethanol. The referrences I found from the U.S. EPA were to "oxyganators" in the fuel. I can't imagine the government slipping something into our fuel that would void every manufacturer's warranty without our knowledge (he said with toungue firmly planted in cheek).

Why doesn't my car shake if I'm supposedly using ethanol? Mine does not shake because I have not had the recall done.

I would venture a guess that the MB tech was pulling that excuse from his butt to cover that said butt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have taken their cars in for service campaign 2006-030011