C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does the C32 have limited slip differential?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Does the C32 have limited slip differential?

Is it true that the C32 has an "open" differential? If so, I have to confess that I'm disappointed. It does not seem likely, though, given the way the power seems to be put down. I would think 350HP in the rain, with an open differential (even with ESP off) would be a wheel-spinning mess.

Not to be bitter (b/c I love the C32), but here are my disappointments:

1. Open diff. (if true of course).

2. Lame emergency brake pedal.

3. Bland steering wheel -- should have been an AMG upgrade.

4. Suspension too high (esp. in front).
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Is it true that the C32 has an "open" differential? If so, I have to confess that I'm disappointed. It does not seem likely, though, given the way the power seems to be put down. I would think 350HP in the rain, with an open differential (even with ESP off) would be a wheel-spinning mess.

Not to be bitter (b/c I love the C32), but here are my disappointments:

1. Open diff. (if true of course).

2. Lame emergency brake pedal.

3. Bland steering wheel -- should have been an AMG upgrade.

4. Suspension too high (esp. in front).
Yes. The C32 has an open diff. It doesn't take much effort to get one rear wheel to burn up while the other stays put. This is a major beef of mine, as well, since I autocross.

I actually don't mind the parking brake being a pedal instead of hand-operated. It's not like you need to e-brake in order to initiate a drift. That can be done with your right foot and a little skill

I can see what you're saying about the lack of interior appointments that set it apart from the standard model. The only "AMG" that is visible from the front seats is on the gauge cluster. (Can't see the one behind your head on the seatback) It would have been nice to have a few more sporty touches.

At first I was completely blown away by the fact that the C32 seemes to sit much higher than the C230. Heck..it doesn't just seem to...it does sit much higher. But after having driven them back-to-back on many occasions it's clear that the AMG guys didn't have their head in the sand. The C32 does handle much, much better. If looks are more important than performance, however, this can be a disappointment.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The LSD problem has been solved. Use the handy "Search" button with the term "Quaife LSD".

The ride height problem has also been solved (see: RENNtech, PSS9, H&R, others).
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 PM

02 C32 Amg - Green Filters, Less Resonator, Also 2003 BMW E46 M3 19" CSL wheels some exterior mods.
i wish it had LSD.......
Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
The LSD problem has been solved. Use the handy "Search" button with the term "Quaife LSD".

The ride height problem has also been solved (see: RENNtech, PSS9, H&R, others).
Oh I'm sure all my complaints are solveable. I'm just bummed out that I have to do it!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM

C32
Oh I'm sure all my complaints are solveable. I'm just bummed out that I have to do it!
Yah...that's the whole point. The car should have come with LSD - just like any good performance-oriented car should.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
how much am I looking at to install LSD I live in the bay area and I dont know anyone here who know how to do this?

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Trekman
how much am I looking at to install LSD I live in the bay area and I dont know anyone here who know how to do this?
I have not been able to find the Quaife list price, but I 'm assuming it is about $1,400 for the part. I think I saw a labor estimate of 7 hours (really???) so that's another $500.

I'm not seriously considering it at this point.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
I have not been able to find the Quaife list price, but I 'm assuming it is about $1,400 for the part. I think I saw a labor estimate of 7 hours (really???) so that's another $500.

I'm not seriously considering it at this point.

increasing grip will somewhat nullify need for lsd. try the R compounds 1st.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by AWDman
increasing grip will somewhat nullify need for lsd. try the R compounds 1st.
Good advice, at least until he turns up the wick. Fifth Ring, why not? too much $$? It's the best mod I've ever bought, for any car. The C32 should've came with one, for sure.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
Good advice, at least until he turns up the wick. Fifth Ring, why not? too much $$? It's the best mod I've ever bought, for any car. The C32 should've came with one, for sure.
It's all about priorities. For the price of an installed LSD, I could have springs/shocks and better tires. And that's not even considering all the possible expenditures I could make on my wife's TT or on my boat. And then, of course, I need to account for my wife's investments in home remodeling! Price is always an object.

PS: What "wick" are you suggesting that I turn up? If there's one thing I don't foresee doing it's bumping the HP. I did that on my last car, but it was a $450 chip that added 60HP. To match that in the C32, I'd be spending 10X that! 350HP is good enough for now.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:01 PM

It's all about priorities. For the price of an installed LSD, I could have springs/shocks and better tires. And that's not even considering all the possible expenditures I could make on my wife's TT or on my boat. And then, of course, I need to account for my wife's investments in home remodeling! Price is always an object.

PS: What "wick" are you suggesting that I turn up? If there's one thing I don't foresee doing it's bumping the HP. I did that on my last car, but it was a $450 chip that added 60HP. To match that in the C32, I'd be spending 10X that! 350HP is good enough for now.

Looks to me like you have your head on straight. Most people here are interested in bumping output first, then sorting the handling. There always has to be a cost-benefit analysis going on when modding, and for the average MB enthusiast that translates to "I just wanna go faster cheap". I respect your approach!