C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I did not know that about myself...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I did not know that about myself...

Well Growing up its been nothing but Chevy. I have always been a spitting image of my father, and now, I must blaze my own trail, for I am no longer a GM sheep. I never sat in, drove, or really ever admired a MB, until my wife uncle, who is a MB NUUUTT, slowly fed me little bit by little bit.
I own a 96 Impala SS, and now selling that sucker, and getting a C32 . I love the elegance of the car, and its sheer speed. I never realized how poorly American cars were made. I just didn’t think about things like gaps, and material, and short cuts. Now doing a comparison, what a piece of crap. I still love my fat over weight deer, but I want that C32 more than anything.
So I went out searching for them and found a few local. Test driving them was great. The first one I have a few questions about. This one has 50k miles on it, warranty till 08, every opt possible, 2 tone seats, command, voice control. BUT.. The dealer is driving the damn car. It has about an inch of brake dust on it, and subway napkins stuffed between the seats. I don’t want to see that when I go to check out a 30k dollar car. So the dealer is asking 30,329 for it. Is this any good? I feel like it should be around 28-29. But that might be cause I could tell its been driven hard.

The second one I am considering is 36k miles, it’s a 03, and warranty till 2010, looks clean smells clean drives great. But none of the previous options. Like command and such. What do you guys think of my dingy impression of the first one? And what would be considered a good deal. Thanks Everyone. Great forum, or I should say community.

Regards,
Corey
Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Welcome and good luck with the search.

I personally would go for the 2nd between those 2, based on what you have described. Looks better, drives better, smells better = sounds better to me.

Options such as 2 tone seats, comand and voice control are not that important to me. Plus, I'd be skeptical of a car that is shown to a prospective buyer in a dirty and messy condition. At the very least, you would think that a conscientious seller would clean it on the surface before showing it. Doesn't the guy care at all about making a good sale and possibly making a happy customer?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
hahah corey, welcome to the MB-nuts.

my friend has a 01 impala and he drove my c class and he said..."why the did I get the pala"
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Skip the 50k mile one, I'd pay no more than $25k for it. Subway napkins between the seats.. classic....

I'd take the second car, it's tough to be picky on color/options when it comes to second hand cars. You could always retrofit the comand NAV yourself.

The '03 comes with the projector-style BiXenon lamps too - much prettier in my opinion.

Maybe $32k-34k for the '03?

and yes.. C32s are quite a ride for the money these days.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 AM

C32
Get the 2nd one. You'll be happy to have a car that's Starmarked. That extended warranty will be put to good use.

You'll also be happy to have a 2003 over a 2002. Everything I've read mentions that the 2k2 had a few bugs that were worked out in the 2k3 model.

If you paid anything under $32k for the 2003 one, that would be a good deal. Mine had 39k miles on it and is Starmarked and I paid $31,700.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
With a few exceptions, American cars are still lagging way behind modern standards -- particularly GM. They survive as a result of the loyalty and patriotism of Americans (even if the cars a made in Canada and Mexico!). The work fine and all the pieces are there; but the end product is still crude.

My first car was a Buick Skyhawk (1983) and from there I went with a Mitsubishi; and other than a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I have not owned an American product (unless you count an Acura MDX which is designed and built in the US. My last three cars were Audi - Audi - Benz.

I'd consider a Mustang, a GTO and maybe a CTS-V.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I would focus on the first one for the following reasons:

1. It has the options you want. These are either impossible or very expensive to add later.
2. There is something to be said for seeing the car in its natural state (brake dust, papers, etc.). FYI, the brake dust is meaningless, as these cars put off a ton. As far as Subway napkins go, I would be far more concerned if I saw Tommy's Burger wrappers. What I am getting at is that these are all little cleanup items which you should use to haggle price, not dismiss the car. Also, did you ever consider the possibility that the dealer is purposely keeping the car dirty so nobody buys it and he gets to drive it more?
3. The price is too high. You should be able to pick this car up for $28K, which is probably just about what the dealer is willing to sell it for.

Good luck, and welcome!

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Talking wow...

Wow!! What a ton of reply through the middle of the night. Yea I really like the fact that the second one is an 03. And I like the service length. But I did want the options on the other one. So...... The crazy guy at the first auto shop was asking 32k flat for the car, but said that he could take it down to 30,329. Well I want it for 28k. How do I go about doing this? I know it’s going to be an epic battle back and forth about what it has, and what he paid, and what he can get with someone else... ( Just bought an 02 land rover disco 2 for my wife) So I am familiar with this damn game, I just don’t know how to beat it yet. So if anyone has had this pissing match with a salesman, what did you do or say, that shut his azz up? Well that so much guys for all your comments and direction. Theses are really, really nice cars.

Regards,
Corey
Old 05-22-2006, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by Sounder
Well Growing up its been nothing but Chevy. I have always been a spitting image of my father, and now, I must blaze my own trail, for I am no longer a GM sheep. I never sat in, drove, or really ever admired a MB, until my wife uncle, who is a MB NUUUTT, slowly fed me little bit by little bit.
I own a 96 Impala SS, and now selling that sucker, and getting a C32 . I love the elegance of the car, and its sheer speed. I never realized how poorly American cars were made. I just didn’t think about things like gaps, and material, and short cuts. Now doing a comparison, what a piece of crap. I still love my fat over weight deer, but I want that C32 more than anything.
So I went out searching for them and found a few local. Test driving them was great. The first one I have a few questions about. This one has 50k miles on it, warranty till 08, every opt possible, 2 tone seats, command, voice control. BUT.. The dealer is driving the damn car. It has about an inch of brake dust on it, and subway napkins stuffed between the seats. I don’t want to see that when I go to check out a 30k dollar car. So the dealer is asking 30,329 for it. Is this any good? I feel like it should be around 28-29. But that might be cause I could tell its been driven hard.

The second one I am considering is 36k miles, it’s a 03, and warranty till 2010, looks clean smells clean drives great. But none of the previous options. Like command and such. What do you guys think of my dingy impression of the first one? And what would be considered a good deal. Thanks Everyone. Great forum, or I should say community.

Regards,
Corey
Haha, welcome to the MB NUTTTS community! Now you know why Europeans feel American's can't build cars. They're so used to European standards (in short, superior standards) that whenever they test-drive an American car, they always say the same things about the "fat" junkers.....

I quote Richard Hammond on the BBC show "Top Gear" when testing the Corvette. "These plastics, where are they getting these cheap plastics from? It seems to be in every single American car....."

You're now in a special place amongst friends. The REAL car enthusiasts. Mwahahahahaha

For the C32, I would say, do some more research until you find a better one. I, personally, would not go for that first one. The second one sounds better, but try waiting some more and keep looking for one with those same specs but with the options you want. It's good to do your research and find the PERFECT C32 and feel great when you get it, than settling for one that wasn't up to your expectations. Be patient, and you'll find her! When you do, PICS time.

Last edited by TA-9FF; 05-22-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Wow!! What a ton of reply through the middle of the night. Yea I really like the fact that the second one is an 03. And I like the service length. But I did want the options on the other one. So...... The crazy guy at the first auto shop was asking 32k flat for the car, but said that he could take it down to 30,329. Well I want it for 28k. How do I go about doing this? I know it’s going to be an epic battle back and forth about what it has, and what he paid, and what he can get with someone else... ( Just bought an 02 land rover disco 2 for my wife) So I am familiar with this damn game, I just don’t know how to beat it yet. So if anyone has had this pissing match with a salesman, what did you do or say, that shut his azz up? Well that so much guys for all your comments and direction. Theses are really, really nice cars.

Regards,
Corey
Print some ads off of autotrader and argue that cars sell for 10-15% below asking price. This should get you down into the mid-high $20K range. Offer him $25K, telling him that it has way more miles than you wanted. He will laugh and counter. Then laugh, and you counter. Don't be fooled by the "such and such used to be asking $xxxxxx for this car," but we will give you a special deal at $xxxxxxxxx.

This car is not the Mona Lisa, it is a product of which there are thousands. If the salesman takes offense at your lowball offer and doesn't want to negotiate any more (which I really doubt), then the deal was not meant to be and you will need to look elsewhere.

As a point of reference, I bought my C32 in February 2004. It had 29K miles, and has no options, other than premium sound. Dealer was asking $37,500, and I paid $34,500. My first offer was $31,000. The dealer laughed, rolled his eyes, etc., and then countered at $36K. I offered $32K. He offered $35.5. I started to walk out of the dealership. He offered $35K. I countered at $33K. He said $34.5K, take it or leave it, and I took it.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:17 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Your wifes uncle has done a good thing for you, bringing you out of the dark ages, and into the light. Wichever one you buy, you should let him be the first to drive it, besides you, in appreciation for his kindness. American made/built/ and desighned cars are flawed when they are new. A good german car is new for most of it's life.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
I quote Richard Hammond on the BBC show "Top Gear" when testing the Corvette. "These plastics, where are they getting these cheap plastics from? It seems to be in every single American car....."
Old 05-22-2006, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I personally would rather have the lower mileage car. Ask yourself this....can you live without these option? How about low balling both guys. Give low ball offers to both sellers. maybe one will work out.
just an example. Back in late 2002 when I bought my ML430 the dealership wanted $32K for it. It had about 30K miles. I figured the ML (at that time)was only worth about $25-$26K. I tried low balling him.....dealer said he couldn't go that low. I said he would need to get close to that number. he spit out $28K after talking to some mystery man. I said fine. Mainly because I really wanted the truck at the time.

So the point of that story was the dealer originally wanted $32K but easily gave up $4K to get this truck off the lot. You should be able to get the same!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I personally would rather have the lower mileage car. Ask yourself this....can you live without these option? How about low balling both guys. Give low ball offers to both sellers. maybe one will work out.
just an example. Back in late 2002 when I bought my ML430 the dealership wanted $32K for it. It had about 30K miles. I figured the ML (at that time)was only worth about $25-$26K. I tried low balling him.....dealer said he couldn't go that low. I said he would need to get close to that number. he spit out $28K after talking to some mystery man. I said fine. Mainly because I really wanted the truck at the time.

So the point of that story was the dealer originally wanted $32K but easily gave up $4K to get this truck off the lot. You should be able to get the same!
I agree with this approach, but keep in mind the "softness" of some cars in the market. An ML in the early years was very soft. They would fetch low trade in, and dealers would sell them cheap. An AMG holds a better price, much Unlike my rapidly depreciating C 240. The market is flooded with common c's, driving their price down.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM

you know...

Originally Posted by JDM
Your wifes uncle has done a good thing for you, bringing you out of the dark ages, and into the light. Wichever one you buy, you should let him be the first to drive it, besides you, in appreciation for his kindness. American made/built/ and desighned cars are flawed when they are new. A good german car is new for most of it's life.
Well, I have thought about that. I am too much of a baby, so when I do get "her", him and I are going out for a "night on the town" so to speak, and after a while, I would not have a problem in letting him stretch her legs out a bit. But!! To keep the sensation rolling after I drive it off the lot, I need to keep driving it for a while.

on another note... seriously I cant even think the same as I use to about american autos, much less even look at the darn things. Now, they seem so pudgy, bland, fake, slow, cheap and un sporty. and the ones that are sporty...see plastic comment above. I know the vett is light, and thats part of the speed equation, but could we maybe use some carbon fiber or something????
My uncle in law was trying to get me to look at an ML in Feb when I bought the Rover, I wish I did. The rover has so many quarks about it. Nice to look at, amazing off roading, but there are 5-7 things I would say definatly need addressing for it to warrent such a 45K dollar msrp tag. In all, im going to keep the Rover, Sell the Impala, BUY MY AMG, and start tinkering with my 78 camaro. Like putting a stroker in. Make it a fun satday car. My wife says why do I need all of them? Cause I got all the ball busting power with this old car, and have comfort and speed with my amg, and I get to go anywhere else that the other 2 can not with the Rover. It all make perfect sence.

I havnt lowballed either of them yet. So far my game plan is to get them hooked on the sale knowing that I am serious in purchasing one. Today I went to the lot to check out the car again, and it was not there, the salesman is driving the damn thing around. I hate that!! DONT DRIVE MY CAR!! So I didnt get to take it out again, or look it over more, but I did make a finance inqury. I was thinking that, instead of paying for it all up front to maybe finance 10k of it and pay for the rest. So I was thinking in showing up with 15k after I get the qualification, and saying that I can only buy the car if they come down to 26K, and pull out some autotrader on him, and some other quotes from around town, and then wait for him to dig out of that hole, and maybe he shoots to 29.5 or something nice, and say I have 15 in cash for the DP, and the rest is financed, we can make a deal here and now, and sell this car to me for 28, nothing more. and leave if thats something he cant do. On the down side I might walk away without the car, but at least I can keep looking for one better, and if he takes it, then great, I just bought the car I really want for the price I am willing to pay.

All done...thats a lot of typing.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 AM

vin run...

Can someone run a Vin for me?? Anyone have one of those unlimited deals from carfax. I thought that I had one, but I cant figure out if I do, and how to re use it again.

thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Can someone run a Vin for me?? Anyone have one of those unlimited deals from carfax. I thought that I had one, but I cant figure out if I do, and how to re use it again.

thanks.
If you don't get a reply to this soon, post it over in the Off-topic forum and someone should get it for you
Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
JDM

2011 C300
definately KEEP the hot rod, I'll admit my weakness for american muscle. Good to have a 4x in the mix too, but again, your uncle in law was on the right track steering you away from the rover, seems to me those have become a mix of other manufacturers parts,..but I guess they all are starting to do some of that. A good thing is though, that I believe the rover has alot of BMW in it. Trans and so on. In my opinion, I'd decide on the car you want, then point blank the dealer by offering him $1500 profit on the car to sell it now. Dont worry about the price. You know you can buy the car regardless, and 1500 is fair profit. You may end up spending less than you thought. Focus on the profit margine. If he says no, he'll tell you what kind of profit they wanted on the car. If he says yes, make him show you the stock card wich shows their cost, thus proving the 1500$ deal. Buy the car. If he gets all squirrly, find another car. Takes all the guess work out of it.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Unhappy

shait.
I found one that has nav, 25k miles, black on black, looked good, and 28k was the asking. I flipped for it, but its gone. Someone else beat me to the good deal.

so need for vin check.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
2 cents...

shait.
I found one that has nav, 25k miles, black on black, looked good, and 28k was the asking. I flipped for it, but its gone. Someone else beat me to the good deal.

so need for vin check.
Dude, when you find a good deal and you're willing to spend $25K+ to buy the damn car, then just spend the $25 or so it takes to get the Carfax immediately instead of waiting for someone on this forum...

In other circumstances it might make sense but here it seems like you missed out on a good deal...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 AM

Cool

I understand that. Yes I did miss out on that deal. I think I bought one tonight. It sitting in my drive way. I have everything done, financing, deatailing...etc. But tonight we took it out for a run, and it seems that the car is hesitating around 60-80 mph. Like cruising at 80mph and then stomping on it, tick, toc tick toc, nothing! It might get to 90 something, but not what I expected. Then I went to pass a car, and it xploded!!! Seriously, it was fast. So why does it tank?? I can here the revs, and feel the supercharger, but its like all the power is going out the window. Are there any related problems that show this symptom?

Regards,
Corey

Last edited by Sounder; 05-24-2006 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-25-2006, 04:07 AM

Talking nenenebooboo..I got a C!!

Let me recap today... Bought the c32, got 3k off what they were asking, added a full cover warrenty till 100k or 4 yrs. Got reemed on tax, but wthc. I told them that before the deal goes down I want to drive there g55 wagon. He pulled the keys out of his desk, and said have a fun afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That engine is absolutly amazing!!!!!!! Hands down I would take that over almost anything, just short of a nasa rocket. Cause I would love to be the only cat on the block able to go to the moon.

We turned so many heads, and you shold have seen the faces of all the people when we pulled into cornetts hand car wash. 50$ later it was gleeeeeming. They didnt even know that we were going to get her cleaned. When we got back he was so impressed with the detail ( we told him we did it ourselves) He wants us to start washing all his cars on a monthly bassis. They flip about 30-40 cars a month, and My buddy that was with me is looking for some work. So now he is going to be cleaning a ton of cars for 50$ a car, 200-220 cars on the lot. ever month or 2 in that interval. What a score!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I understand that. Yes I did miss out on that deal. I think I bought one tonight. It sitting in my drive way. I have everything done, financing, deatailing...etc. But tonight we took it out for a run, and it seems that the car is hesitating around 60-80 mph. Like cruising at 80mph and then stomping on it, tick, toc tick toc, nothing! It might get to 90 something, but not what I expected. Then I went to pass a car, and it xploded!!! Seriously, it was fast. So why does it tank?? I can here the revs, and feel the supercharger, but its like all the power is going out the window. Are there any related problems that show this symptom?

Regards,
Corey
Sounds exactly like the intercooler pump to me. When the S/C shuts down, the car is a dog.