C55 exhaust project on my c32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
C55 exhaust project on my c32

I am in the process of adding a C55 exhaust to my C32. (Thanks jywang )

I have a few options and I thought I would put it out here to the forum.

1. Replace the existing spare tire holder pan with one from a c55.. or
2. Remove the spare pan altogether

I don't have a spare and don't plan on ever having one. The space is basically wasted except for my jack and patch kit??

So far I have the C55 exhaust up to the resonator, which will be cut off.. picked up another exhaust holder to mount the right side. I also have a C55 rear bumper which raises another question.. Should I just cut my C32 bumper or use the C55 bumper that needs to be repainted..

The way I see it I have two options.. The cheap way or more $$..

Cheap way, no C55 spare pan and cut existing bumper, which is basically identical except for the right exhaust tip cut out.

More costly, C55 pan and C55 bumper repainted about $800 more for parts and paint and labor.

I found another thread with this mod as well and listed it below. This was basically my inspiration. It seems pretty unique..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...xhaust+install

I will add pics when the project is completed. I will also try to add a parts list in case anyone else is interested.. I still need to get heat shields, the parts guy couldn't find them in the computer.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 AM

2017 C43 Sedan
This raises the question: Does having 4 exhaust tips (with two on each side) increase air flow or help performance? I notice that both mufflers on the C55 converge into a single 3" exhaust pipe underneath the spare tire well, rather than having two separate pipes running all the way up to the cats...

I've wanted to dump the stock exhaust on my C55 for a while and try to fit an Eisenmann exhaust (2 tips only, both on left side) that is originally made for the CLK500.. I like the sound, but I worry that having only 2 tips vs 4 that the car may not perform as well..

If only Eisenmann would make an exhaust to fit the C55
Old 06-15-2006, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i think the tips are just for style, 1 or 2 or 3 as long as ur exhaust inlet is ur c55 size i guess its cool, as for a "single-side exhaust" like the c32, members have done custom dual exhaust, for example lorinser exhaust are dual, weltmeiser, see how thsoe are created, I think the weltmeiser one is just like a extension lol from one to the other side.

the idea of havnt 2 seperate exhausts from the cats...that sounds interesting..maybe that would do some performance upgrade.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wonder why people actually do this. What a waste of time/money/effort. You aren't going to be any cooler looking like a want a be c55, in fact you will look like a try hard. Just keep the two tips, nice and clean. No need to be something that you arent..
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by uownme
I always wonder why people actually do this. What a waste of time/money/effort. You aren't going to be any cooler looking like a want a be c55, in fact you will look like a try hard. Just keep the two tips, nice and clean. No need to be something that you arent..
You know, that's what I thought too, then I saw pictures of a clean c55 rear exhaust on a c32, and WOW, sexy!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
expect to spend about $5000 if you are going to do the C55 exhaust like Wiederman. Unless you've already bought'em for cheap of course. lol

I would get the C55 pan so you would have place to put the jack.

The setup won't make the car sound like the C55. It'll just be a smoother tone. I think the C32 without the resonator sounds better. Also with two muffler designed for a 5.4 liter engine you might have problem with back-pressure (not enough) which you may lose low-end torque. Supercharged engine doesn't get affected much, but it's still gonna have some effect.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-15-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by carnutC55
This raises the question: Does having 4 exhaust tips (with two on each side) increase air flow or help performance? I notice that both mufflers on the C55 converge into a single 3" exhaust pipe underneath the spare tire well, rather than having two separate pipes running all the way up to the cats...

I've wanted to dump the stock exhaust on my C55 for a while and try to fit an Eisenmann exhaust (2 tips only, both on left side) that is originally made for the CLK500.. I like the sound, but I worry that having only 2 tips vs 4 that the car may not perform as well..

If only Eisenmann would make an exhaust to fit the C55
For exhaust from the CLK500 to the C55 you wouldn't gain or lose anything other than changing the sound. The dual exhaust back-pressure is and should be the same as the single exhaust from AMG. The great example would be the 2005 CLK55 coupe vs CLK55 convertible which one has dual and one has single muffler and the horsepower rating didn't change.

You might need to trim or change the bumper tho and if the bumper's not changed you'll have a opening on the right side that doesn't have the exhaust.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Before you commit to any setup using C55 or other parts, visit a good, custom shop and see what they can put together. You'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to put together a quality system that TRULY increases flow.

I have no interest in going from single to double on my C32. It's total volume that matters, not the amount of pipes. I suppose the single pipe setup also saves 20 to 40 lbs.

If I did anything, I'd look at the restrictions in the one-tube setup and consider a custom solution. I wouldn't want a car that is much louder than the stock C32. As strong as it is, the V6 just does not make sweet music.

PS: Ever notice how small the exhaust pipes are on Acuras and Hondas? The squeeze a LOT of horsepower out of small engines, and they do it through tiny exhaust tubing. Maybe they know something that we do not.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by uownme
Wonder no more.. If I wanted a c55 I would just go buy one. I honestly prefer my c32 to the C55. If I wanted to waste my time/money/effort I would buy a C55 and watch it depreciate more than my already depreciated C32..

Trust me dude, I am cool enough. I just want a dual exhaust is that so hard to understand? I will look like a try hard? Maybe in your mind..

I was going to get a dual exhaust anyway along with other mods to the engine, why not stick with factory AMG parts?

Yes I got a great deal form a forum member or I wouldn't have gone this route.

This project will cost me under 1500 bucks even if I go the expensive route. How much is a dual exhaust from Carlsson? about $2500? Lorinser $2200, I could go on but I hope you get the point.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Before you commit to any setup using C55 or other parts, visit a good, custom shop and see what they can put together. You'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to put together a quality system that TRULY increases flow.

I have no interest in going from single to double on my C32. It's total volume that matters, not the amount of pipes. I suppose the single pipe setup also saves 20 to 40 lbs.

If I did anything, I'd look at the restrictions in the one-tube setup and consider a custom solution. I wouldn't want a car that is much louder than the stock C32. As strong as it is, the V6 just does not make sweet music.

PS: Ever notice how small the exhaust pipes are on Acuras and Hondas? The squeeze a LOT of horsepower out of small engines, and they do it through tiny exhaust tubing. Maybe they know something that we do not.
I will be using an excellent custom shop and will listen to any advice they give me along the way..

Every custom/racing Acura or Honda I have seen usually has a new exhaust system over stock.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
I will be using an excellent custom shop and will listen to any advice they give me along the way..

Every custom/racing Acura or Honda I have seen usually has a new exhaust system over stock.
Every custom/racing ANYTHING has a new exhaust system over stock!

I just can't get over the fact that in my wife's MDX, Acura gets 270HP and surprising torque out of an unboosted 3.2 litre V6, and the exhaust system looks like it would fit a riding mower!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Wonder no more.. If I wanted a c55 I would just go buy one. I honestly prefer my c32 to the C55. If I wanted to waste my time/money/effort I would buy a C55 and watch it depreciate more than my already depreciated C32..

Trust me dude, I am cool enough. I just want a dual exhaust is that so hard to understand? I will look like a try hard? Maybe in your mind..

I was going to get a dual exhaust anyway along with other mods to the engine, why not stick with factory AMG parts?

This project will cost me under 1500 bucks even if I go the expensive route. How much is a dual exhaust from Carlsson? about $2500? Lorinser $2200, I could go on but I hope you get the point.
No doubt and modification you do with Benz or AMG parts is going to be smarter than aftermarket. That has always been my preference when possible.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

No doubt and modification you do with Benz or AMG parts is going to be smarter than aftermarket. That has always been my preference when possible. And ignore the troll who thinks it's posing to put dual exhaust on a C32. Every soccer mom SUV has dual exhaust -- are they trying to look like a C55?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Thanks for the kind words Fifth..
Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 PM

2006 C55/400HP HONDA S2000
TO EACH THERE OWN its just crazy to do all that work and have a stock exhaust sytem !!!!!! so whatever makes you happy except lambo doors please!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 PM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by FrankW
The setup won't make the car sound like the C55. It'll just be a smoother tone. I think the C32 without the resonator sounds better. Also with two muffler designed for a 5.4 liter engine you might have problem with back-pressure (not enough) which you may lose low-end torque. Supercharged engine doesn't get affected much, but it's still gonna have some effect.
AGREE!! after i saw this thread the other day, i thought if C55 exhaust can be swapped onto the C32, then does that mean the Eisenmann exhaust for C55 will fit the C32 as well? but then doesn't that mean not enough back pressure?

so now i want to know has anyone tried customize the Eisenman Exhaust for C32 into a quad pipe exhaust? is it a do it or don't do it?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by D_Star
AGREE!! after i saw this thread the other day, i thought if C55 exhaust can be swapped onto the C32, then does that mean the Eisenmann exhaust for C55 will fit the C32 as well? but then doesn't that mean not enough back pressure?

so now i want to know has anyone tried customize the Eisenman Exhaust for C32 into a quad pipe exhaust? is it a do it or don't do it?
customizing is possible. I have friend who got the eisenmann to do quad for his 325Ci for the Hamann GTR rear bumper for quad exhaust. It might take some time to order tho.

cheapest ready made quad for our car right now would be the Weltmeister that I'm using. They retail for around $900. I carry them as well. As far as sounds goes it sounds similar to Supersprint, but whether or not if it's made by supersprint that I'm not sure. The bend/extension looks exactly like the Carlsson quad as well which Carlsson is made by Supersprint.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by PIXC55
TO EACH THERE OWN its just crazy to do all that work and have a stock exhaust sytem !!!!!! so whatever makes you happy except lambo doors please!!!!!
Stock DUAL exhaust.. why is it "crazy"? I would have to do all the same work for any dual exhaust system besides the ones that just have a connector pipe and no muffler..

The only "work" that this will require is a new spare tire pan, heat shield, muffler hanging mount and cutting my bumper for the exhaust tips.. All in a days work..

Don't worry.. no lambo doors.. lol
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
it's not crazy. it just doesn't do anything from a performance stand point. it'll keep everything AMG on the other hand which is a plus if that's what you want.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 AM

Good luck on your project!!! Let me know when your done, I'd love to check it out.

I am in the process of adding a C55 exhaust to my C32. (Thanks jywang )

I have a few options and I thought I would put it out here to the forum.

1. Replace the existing spare tire holder pan with one from a c55.. or
2. Remove the spare pan altogether

I don't have a spare and don't plan on ever having one. The space is basically wasted except for my jack and patch kit??

So far I have the C55 exhaust up to the resonator, which will be cut off.. picked up another exhaust holder to mount the right side. I also have a C55 rear bumper which raises another question.. Should I just cut my C32 bumper or use the C55 bumper that needs to be repainted..

The way I see it I have two options.. The cheap way or more $$..

Cheap way, no C55 spare pan and cut existing bumper, which is basically identical except for the right exhaust tip cut out.

More costly, C55 pan and C55 bumper repainted about $800 more for parts and paint and labor.

I found another thread with this mod as well and listed it below. This was basically my inspiration. It seems pretty unique..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...xhaust+install

I will add pics when the project is completed. I will also try to add a parts list in case anyone else is interested.. I still need to get heat shields, the parts guy couldn't find them in the computer.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Ok.. I am getting a little frustrated.. I have called two MB dealerships and they can't seem to find the C55 muffler heat shields??? They say they aren't listed?? The spare tire tub that I bought has a 209 part number. I guess the spare tub is the same for a CLK55 and a C55.. but they can't find them for a 209 body either? They have them in the computer for a w215.. but no telling if those will fit??

Can anyone help me here? Anyone know if a 215 exhaust is the same as a CLK/C55? Anyone with a parts catalogue that can help?

I might have to go custom on these but I wanted to stay with factory parts and this is all I am missing.. It's now holding up my project!!

Thanks in advance for any help..
Old 07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
alright.. got this figured out.. I crawled under a c55 at the dealer and got the part numbers..

I also just realized that I have a full Brabus suspension. I thought I only had springs but when under my car I saw the shocks are Brabus too.. (Nice suprise) Which leads me to wonder what else was done? I need to get my car dyno'd.. I wonder if someone on this forum owned it before the guy I bought it from?? The guy I bought it from said he didn't do anything to it and claims he didn't know about the Brabus suspension..

Hmm..

Last edited by amgmark; 07-03-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I thought you put the brabus suspension on there yourself, but it's good then you got a $1200 suspension mod for free
Old 07-05-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you will also need to get the muffler hangers to mount them. Also, mercedes uses a special black glue to mount the tub into the car. It's actually a 2 tube epoxy that mixes at the tip. You need a huge gun to pump it.
Attached Thumbnails C55 exhaust project on my c32-020906-135.jpg  
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol...you can glue ppl to death with that thing...LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 exhaust project on my c32