C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
More Update...
The vibration is identify as a drive-shaft problem. Parts is order and waiting... hopefully that will fix the vibration for sure.

Other items were replaced/serive during the last 1 month:
New A/C compressor, New Engine mount (try to ID the vib.), new radiator (defect radiator) and flash tq converter, New batt., Service A with new wipers and brake line flashed.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Took my car in for the new torque converter yesterday, they said it should be ready by sometime today - I got a loaner, so at least it's not the major pain in the *** it's been before (using their shuttle service blows).

I'm going to press harder on the vibration at 40-50 since last time they said it was the front tires causing it (strange since I've taken the car in for this same vibration through 3 completely different sets of tires.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:17 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by DL_AMG
More Update...
The vibration is identify as a drive-shaft problem. Parts is order and waiting... hopefully that will fix the vibration for sure.

New A/C compressor, New Engine mount (try to ID the vib.), new radiator (defect radiator) and flash tq converter, New batt., Service A with new wipers and brake line flashed.
How did they definitively identify this as a drive-shaft problem. Basically I'm wondering if there is something I can look for or have my dealer look for that would eliminate the drive-shaft as the problem?...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bif powell
How did they definitively identify this as a drive-shaft problem. Basically I'm wondering if there is something I can look for or have my dealer look for that would eliminate the drive-shaft as the problem?...
I told the service advisor to quote my word on the paper. “Vibration at highway speed 65 & up, let off accelerator and let speed drop, vibration takes place.”

I replaced all 4 tires just to make sure they can’t blame me for having a old tires or flat spots.

At first, technician can’t duplicate the problem (as usual), so my advisor ask one of the chief technician to test drive with me (he drove). He did feel the vibration when he release the gas and let it cruise from 70mph.

On the invoice paper, they wrote: “ Road tested, found vibration to occur at 50mph and would get worse as speed was increased intermittently. Checked all wheels for correct balance, all ok. Road tested with SDS, checked and monitored all actual values, all ok. Checked all transmission shift adaptations, all ok. Disengaged torque converter as vibration occurred, found no difference with or without. Retorqued front and rear flex discs bolts. Retorqued left and right drive shaft bolts. Retorqued rear differential mounting bolts. Re road tested, found vibration still there. R/R left and right drive axles, retested found still there. Tested on vehicle hoist, found drive shaft out of balance. Drive shaft not in stock, will be ordered per shop foreman, R.S. 7/6/2006. "

Somehow 40-50mph vib still can't duplicate when shop foreman did his test drive by himself. I think this replacement of drive shaft should be able to fix this problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 PM

Merce-rati
More Update...

how much did this run you?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM

2002 c32
Picked up from the latest repair which was a new Torque Converter.

Customer States: car will jerk when pulling away from a stop see previous R.O. for diag. (Has T.A.C. case.) torque converter mech. fault. part ordered when vehicle was under warranty. removed transmission assy. replaced torque converter assy. mil out 46165.

Parts 1 converter, 4, trans fluid, 1 lock pin

also had a rear lightbulb replaced for which they charged me $5.35.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 2011 Audi A4
My car jerks really hard especially in city driving. MB has changed the Torque Converter and it still jerks. I believe my car still has some warranty left over for the transmission. When the traffic light goes green, i gas and the RPM is at approx. 1500 and the car is going no where then all of a sudden the car jerks and makes a "pshhh" sound. Does anyone else experience this? And another thing, my coolant is leaking. Every other day i have to fill up the coolant.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 PM

2002 c32
You should take your car in. These can be indicators of common problems.

Originally Posted by c32_amg_79
My car jerks really hard especially in city driving. MB has changed the Torque Converter and it still jerks. I believe my car still has some warranty left over for the transmission. When the traffic light goes green, i gas and the RPM is at approx. 1500 and the car is going no where then all of a sudden the car jerks and makes a "pshhh" sound. Does anyone else experience this? And another thing, my coolant is leaking. Every other day i have to fill up the coolant.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by eLTURCOamg
how much did this run you?
Free...under warranty. My warranty runs out next month.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Latest update. After replace the entire drive shaft, the vibration still exist. Last week, took the car in again for further checkup. Dealer did ANOTHER Gyrol test and found 200-250mg level and require flush tranny and radiator again?! I just had my radiator replace and flush last month!
Well, after few test drive over the weekend...I still feel the vibration but is way better then before but still vib a little. I'm going to drive a little more and go back to dealer to tell them how to duplicate the vibration. It's wear that once the car is warmup to normal temp, the vib is gone...

and...I'm already out of warranty but dealer can't get away not to fix the vibration problem. but I rather have no problem!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM

2002 c32
Latest update. After replace the entire drive shaft, the vibration still exist. Last week, took the car in again for further checkup. Dealer did ANOTHER Gyrol test and found 200-250mg level and require flush tranny and radiator again?! I just had my radiator replace and flush last month!
Well, after few test drive over the weekend...I still feel the vibration but is way better then before but still vib a little. I'm going to drive a little more and go back to dealer to tell them how to duplicate the vibration. It's wear that once the car is warmup to normal temp, the vib is gone...

and...I'm already out of warranty but dealer can't get away not to fix the vibration problem. but I rather have no problem!
I read on c32life that this vibration while cold was a leaky cv joint - as it heated up, the grease would spread around the the vibration would go away/lessen.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Funny that this thread re-surfaced today, as I am driving a loaner for the 5th time in the last month and a half... all for the same "jerk" problem.

Well, this morning I'm driving around town and the jerk is pretty strong at 1500 rpm. I drove to my dealer and the Tranny Tech jumped in the car with me and we drove for a few minutes. He finally felt what I've been complaining about all this time. He had me leave the car with the SA and he ran to get the other tranny guy to plug in the computer and drive it around.

Several hours later I received a call from the SA saying they found the problem and "it's a bit complicated, I'll give you details tomorrow". When pressed for more info, he only admitted that there was some sort of "oil leak" that has "corrupted the controller". Huh?

I'm looking forward to learning the whole story on this one and, even more, driving a car that doesn't try to snap my neck with some wierd jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear. I'll keep you posted on the final outcome, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM

That's exactly I told dealer and tech found no leak, b4 or after drive shaft replacement. The new drive shaft joint in our car are using rubber type and not those U-joint type which has no grease in it. (that's what the tech told me.) So is that means I have to live with it?
I'm thinking if they can get the Gyrol test at 200-250mg in just 1 month from the last flush, that means they didn't fix the radiator leak to tranny at all...since my last test is also 200-250mg before replacing the radiator.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

That's exactly I told dealer and tech found no leak, b4 or after drive shaft replacement. The new drive shaft joint in our car are using rubber type and not those U-joint type which has no grease in it. (that's what the tech told me.) So is that means I have to live with it?
I'm thinking if they can get the Gyrol test at 200-250mg in just 1 month from the last flush, that means they didn't fix the radiator leak to tranny at all...since my last test is also 200-250mg before replacing the radiator.
Last week, my tranny tech told me the TSB (#p.b.27.55/50a) that I had brought in with the instructions to do the glycol test was out of date. He showed me a newer TSB that narrowed the scope of work to be done. Although I did not actually read this portion, he says that MB no longer wants to replace the torque converter (and other work) if glycol is found in the fluid. They are only supposed to change the fluid. Yikes. MB is putting a band aid on a large, open wound here.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
if that is true then ouch....
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM

That's okay. I will just keep bring my car in and telling them there is a vibration and they have to fix it. Such a pain in the butt...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 AM

Flint Gray E63
Current TSB is P-B-27.55/50f which supercedes P-B-27.55/50e dated March 6, 2006.

Part of the new TSB states:

1. Clear all adaption values.

2. Verify if condition is still present.

3. If condition is still present after clearing all EGS ECU adaption values, perform glycol test.

NOTE: Steps 4 and 5 do NOT apply to AMG Vehicles (203.065, 209.376 and 211.076).

4. If condition is no longer present after clearing all EGS ECU adaption values, replace the EGS ECU with updated software with part number listed in parts information table.

5. If condition reappears after EGS ECU software updates, perform glycol test.

Perform repair based on the test result:

1. Up to 100 mg/liter of glycol contamination do not perform any repair (considered normal due to condensed water and not a leak).

2. As of 100 mg/liter of glycol contamination, replace radiator. Clean and flush the transmission with the torque converter and transmission oil cooler lines. Refer to WIS Document AR27.55-P-0100A.

3. If the condition is still reproducible after the flush routine, replace the torque converter.

Last edited by Moxxon; 08-08-2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Jerk update

Ok, so, I picked up my car last night from MBLN. The SA tried to describe what was done on my car's transmission, but he was correct the day before; it is somewhat complicated.

I will try to paraphrase the invoice as this:
"Found fluid in ETC. Checked function and operation, found vehicle Jerk in between 2-3 gear" (instertion here; that is the first time i've see the dealer find and document a "jerk") "Test w/DAS, checked for codes, no codes found, test drove vehicle w/SDS and monitor torque converter lock-up. Found during engagement of tourque converter, engaging hard causing jerk. Checked trans control module, found trans fluid in ETC connector. Inspect trans connector, found trans fluid leaking internal. Determined fluid in ETC cause of problem. R&R valve body, replaced electrical plate and installed updated pilot bushing in trans. Replaced trans control modual, performed transmission and adaption and torque converter adaption after repairs. Found trans OK at this time........"

The parts list inclueds, amongst other parts, a trans oil filter, trans gasket, seal ring and cleaner.

They want me to drive it for 800-1000 miles to allow the trans to "adopt" to my driving habits.

I may be extra sensitive to the Jerk now, but I'd swear that I might still feel it now and again. But then, I've only put about 20 miles on it since I picked it up.

I hope that this work should keep my tanny going alot longer than it would have gone before this work.

By the way, everything was covered by CPO.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Holy S***!!! It's back...bigger and badder then ever. After all the issues found in my tranny last week, the jerk hit me so hard yesterday, that I thought i had left the driveshaft in the millde of the street. I pulled over and started to roll again. Sure enough, between 2nd and 3rd, as the torque converter locks, BAM!

I was only a block from home , so I went home, shut it down for a moment to unload some crap from the car and planned to run it down to the dealer. You guessed it, the big BAM! subsided. Oh, it still hurts like hell, when it jerks. But I am going on vacation tomorrow, so It'll have to wait till next week. I hope like hell that they replace my converter next time. I already have a new ECU and wiring harness from this episode. Heck, maybe it'll all be new by the time it gets fixed.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Holy S***!!! It's back...bigger and badder then ever. After all the issues found in my tranny last week, the jerk hit me so hard yesterday, that I thought i had left the driveshaft in the millde of the street. I pulled over and started to roll again. Sure enough, between 2nd and 3rd, as the torque converter locks, BAM!

I was only a block from home , so I went home, shut it down for a moment to unload some crap from the car and planned to run it down to the dealer. You guessed it, the big BAM! subsided. Oh, it still hurts like hell, when it jerks. But I am going on vacation tomorrow, so It'll have to wait till next week. I hope like hell that they replace my converter next time. I already have a new ECU and wiring harness from this episode. Heck, maybe it'll all be new by the time it gets fixed.
sounds exactly what i'm going thru. it's not just a jerk, it's a BAM! feels like i got rear-ended. i've just about given up.

Last edited by amgme; 08-16-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I would say it's more like someone reached down and hit the brake really hard at the top of the RPM range - this happens at the 1st to second shift and sometimes up around 75-85 or so and only when I really have my foot in it.

My power-loss is intermittent as well.

Bif
dammit. i have this prob now that the car has stg 2. it only happens intermittently most times on hard accel near top of 1st and 2nd sometimes. after it "cuts" it seems to go away- reapplication of max power will not replicate prob. I did not have this before car went in for the stage 2. it also happens with the esp set to off. (not dyno mode).

searched various threads and didn't find a definitive solution to prob. my tranny is smooth otherwise.

could this simply be a traction/esp issue? i'm still on ps2s have not put on snows yet. plan on calling evosport in a bit see what they say but any interim feedback or info will be welcome.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
The stall RPM of a torque converter, depends on the torque of the engine and weight of the car. If the engine creates more than normal torque, then the stall speed increases.

Normally, the clutch lockup occurs at an RPM just above the stall speed.

If the stall speed occurs above the lockup of the clutch, then you will feel, the clutch engage.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amgme
sounds exactly what i'm going thru. it's not just a jerk, it's a BAM! feels like i got rear-ended. i've just about given up.
And the same thing here. BAM is the best term yet for it.lol When I had my car in for service B a few months ago they looked at it and said something about it "double shifting" in second gear. They did some software update, cleared the adaptive, changed tranny fluid, ordered a torque converter and said they would let me know when it came in. Loooong story short, I had extended warranty but they decided they didn't want to cover the repair (nearly $3,500 for parts + labor) so I am now hoping to settle this outside of court. (Car only has 35K miles) The company (Agape) decided not to cover any AMG models a few months prior to my claim and failed to notify me until after I made the claim of course. They have since given me a full refund (not what I was looking for) and sent me on my way. Now have new coverage from another company but hoping that this isn't considered an "existing problem". Jeez, sorry for the off topic tangent...

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 12-27-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Well, as long as this thread has been revived...Here is my update since August.

Last month I had my car's resonator removed. I know, the resonator has nothing to do with the tranny jerk, but wait. I have noticed, immediately following the resonator delete, that the jerk is now non-existent (almost). I'd guess that 75-80% of the time the transmission shifts, from 2nd to 3rd, are smooth as silk. Hmmm....

Now, how in the hell could a deleted resonator affect the jerk? I'm assuming it's a back pressure thing. Whatever it is, I like it. My car is nearly perfect now, without the BAM! or clunk it used to have.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Black 2002 C32 AMG
My 02 has this same issue and from what I read its only 2002 C32s with this issue. I get it after a normal acceleration to about 3rd gear. Then as I slow down to take a 90 degree turn and the car hits 1500 rpms I get the BAM. Now I HAVE NOTICED IT ALSO AFTER GETTING OFF THE Hwy AND DRIVING REAL SLOW IN A SHOPPING CENTER PARKING LOT NEAR 1500 RPMS. I have heard a a Dealer software upgrade with 2003 C32 software will fix this but my dealer has no clue what I am referring to so I still have the issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment