C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I bought a TCU off of a wrecked '03 and the problem went away. I have put 10k on the car since.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything and anything
Are most the transmission jerks happening on cars that are in stock form or after they have been modified?

I experienced the transmission jerk driving my new car home from the dealer. I took it in the next day to have them take a look and when they connected the diagnostic computer. They discovered a transmission fault code being listed. The dealer proceeded to reset the ECU and to this day I haven't had any problems.

I hope your transmission problem gets fixed it would drive me crazy if it were me!

Since everyone here has had one problem or another. Does anyone have a list on what should be looked into repairs, recalls or replacement? I'm not entirely sure if someone has posted the info as of yet.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by marc32
Are most the transmission jerks happening on cars that are in stock form or after they have been modified?

I experienced the transmission jerk driving my new car home from the dealer. I took it in the next day to have them take a look and when they connected the diagnostic computer. They discovered a transmission fault code being listed. The dealer proceeded to reset the ECU and to this day I haven't had any problems.

I hope your transmission problem gets fixed it would drive me crazy if it were me!

Since everyone here has had one problem or another. Does anyone have a list on what should be looked into repairs, recalls or replacement? I'm not entirely sure if someone has posted the info as of yet.
The jerk comes in on stock 2002 C32's. The problems seems to have been rectified on the 03's.

As to the list of fixes or "TSB's", this is still an active thread started by our own Bif Powell: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/164510-c32-tsbs.html
It is very helpful.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
I'm sorry you guys are having so much trouble.... I just updated my TCU to the 2003 version and it solved all of my problems. Of course, I didn't have the contamination, so that could have a lot to do with it.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
my jerk seems to have gone away. Bob at evosport thinks it may be a TC issue that needed time for adaptation.

just bought a behr radiator. will install and collect some tranny fluid when rad disconnected. plan to have that analysed and take it from there based on results.

wish i had done this sooner somehow was not aware of the gravity of the 02 rad leak and consequences.

found place to do anaylsis for $100.
http://fast-lab.com/fluid.html
is this reasonable? know of cheaper?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
If you're under warranty, ask the dealer to do it for you, and if there's no contamination, then you pay - if there is, well they're going to have to pick up that tab as well. I paid as there was no contamination...YET!

jm

Originally Posted by AWDman
my jerk seems to have gone away. Bob at evosport thinks it may be a TC issue that needed time for adaptation.

just bought a behr radiator. will install and collect some tranny fluid when rad disconnected. plan to have that analysed and take it from there based on results.

wish i had done this sooner somehow was not aware of the gravity of the 02 rad leak and consequences.

found place to do anaylsis for $100.
http://fast-lab.com/fluid.html
is this reasonable? know of cheaper?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM

C32 AMG
Q. Did you guys notice when is the "jerk" happening?
From my experience it always happens lright after i make a turn.
I thought it was trainny holding gear throu the turn and up shifting right after.
I've had my car only few months, and I'm still learning the signs.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/172241-coolant-transmission.html
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I have had mine in the shop 3 times for this very problem. First time they cleared adaptation and said it was fine. Of course the problem came back. Next time I took it in they did some software update and said it was fine. Of course the problem came back. Took it in a 3rd time and said, "give me a new freakin torque converter or tranny". They did the glycol test and said it was fine. Said they couldn't replicate the problem. Never bothered to drop the tranny to "save me money". In the end they fixed nothing, cleared adaptation AGAIN and charged me the diagnostics. Go Mercedes!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 AM

Black 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I have had mine in the shop 3 times for this very problem. First time they cleared adaptation and said it was fine. Of course the problem came back. Next time I took it in they did some software update and said it was fine. Of course the problem came back. Took it in a 3rd time and said, "give me a new freakin torque converter or tranny". They did the glycol test and said it was fine. Said they couldn't replicate the problem. Never bothered to drop the tranny to "save me money". In the end they fixed nothing, cleared adaptation AGAIN and charged me the diagnostics. Go Mercedes!
I am in the same boat as you but haven't been charged for any service since I have an extended warranty. The car learns this 1500 rpm jerk over a few days. I can get rid of it by leaving the battery off over night. It always comes back. It is very exact on happening at 1500 rpm and really bothers me but theres no way to get rid of it for me as of yet.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by alterego
I am in the same boat as you but haven't been charged for any service since I have an extended warranty. The car learns this 1500 rpm jerk over a few days. I can get rid of it by leaving the battery off over night. It always comes back. It is very exact on happening at 1500 rpm and really bothers me but theres no way to get rid of it for me as of yet.
I have warranty as well, but it doesnt matter because the yahoos at the dealership say there is no problem. I'm NOT paying for another diagnostics test when this does it again. The tech will be riding with me and I will make damn sure there is no missunderstanding when I drop it off to get fixed next time.
I have had 2 dealerships from outside my local area look at it, feel it, and say a new torque converter will take care of this issue. They all knew about the problem with these C32s and had replaced a few with great success. I would MUCH rather them do the work, but they are too far away to make it practical.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Can someone please post the P/N of the TCU?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I have warranty as well, but it doesnt matter because the yahoos at the dealership say there is no problem. I'm NOT paying for another diagnostics test when this does it again. The tech will be riding with me and I will make damn sure there is no missunderstanding when I drop it off to get fixed next time.
I have had 2 dealerships from outside my local area look at it, feel it, and say a new torque converter will take care of this issue. They all knew about the problem with these C32s and had replaced a few with great success. I would MUCH rather them do the work, but they are too far away to make it practical.
UPDATE!
So I just got a call from the dealer. They said my car was ready for pickup yesterday but when they took it for one last drive while hooked to the laptop....you guessed it.....that tranny jerk came back! The tech said it was very violent and he couldn't believe there is nothing more obviously wrong with it. So, right now after nearly 3 weeks it looks as though they will be sitting on my car scratching their heads for another freakin week or two. At least it should be done RIGHT this time.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Can someone please post the P/N of the TCU?
There are a NUMBER of part numbers for the TCU's for this car. I have ordered one of part number 0325451232 per advice I have read in previous threads. I'll let you know if it works out.

Regards,
Pete
Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
moorfan,

Part number 032-545-1232 is what I had also... it is the control module itself. Did you buy it? The cheapest I've found so far is $306 (New) plus shipping.

Waiting for a quote on the reflash from the stealer.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
moorfan,

Part number 032-545-1232 is what I had also... it is the control module itself. Did you buy it? The cheapest I've found so far is $306 (New) plus shipping.

Waiting for a quote on the reflash from the stealer.
I have been told that dealer reflashes are usually around $400. Mine told me he wouldn't have any idea how to reflash a unit (dumbass).
I have purchased a used unit for $200 from a salvage parts place in Missouri. It has not yet arrived, but the guy insists that the one he has is the correct part number. We'll see when it gets here.
I had another offer from another place for the same price. I can PM you the listing for the other salvage place tomorrow. Just insist before you pay that it MUST be that part number or you will send it back. Get them to agree and save the email!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Another Update

So, I am now on day 26 (!!) of my car sitting at the dealership for this damn tranny problem. I just got a call and these are the final two parts they will need.

Valve body - part #140 270 0606. The part is $726 + labor and is an exchange part. Trade in the old for a new updated version.

Tranny Control Module - part #032 545 1232. Apparently you can't just update the valve body w/o getting the updated control module along with it.

Warranty will cover the valve body since it is a failed part, but they will NOT cover the control module since it is an "updated" part. Control module is $408, 1 hour labor @ $80. Another dealer quoted me $150 labor.
Either way this whole ordeal leaves me with about a grand out of pocket and this is after my "premium" warranty with $0 deduct covered nearly $4k in other repairs.
All I have to say is THANK GOD for warranties. They try and argue everything you claim, but in the end I paid $2600 for the warranty and will have almost double that out of this one claim. Ouch!

SIDE NOTE: Doesn't MB have a 10 year drive train warranty on all their vehicles? Would the tranny not fall into this category? What exactly IS covered by the 10 year coverage from the factory anyway? I think I need to look into that a bit closer...

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 02-26-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
If you want to save a few $$$, buy the parts not covered on your warranty here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213951

The TCU comes out to $306 plus shipping. That's crazy you have to upgrade the valve body too, many C32s just get their module replace...

Good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
I'm sorry that this happened to you. It is indeed frustrating and will certainly make me reconsider another M-B.

However, my new EGS module arrived today from Missouri. Part number 032 545 1232. I installed it, reset the ECU (30 minutes with disconnected battery) and then drove.
It went about 1/2 mile without a jerk and then boom...check engine light and limp mode. I expected this, so tomorrow it is off to the dealer to see if this module can be integrated (something about SCN version coding?)
I'll keep you posted. My service advisor thinks I am a freak of some kind.

Regards,
Pete

So, I am now on day 26 (!!) of my car sitting at the dealership for this damn tranny problem. I just got a call and these are the final two parts they will need.

Valve body - part #140 270 0606. The part is $726 + labor and is an exchange part. Trade in the old for a new updated version.

Tranny Control Module - part #032 545 1232. Apparently you can't just update the valve body w/o getting the updated control module along with it.

Warranty will cover the valve body since it is a failed part, but they will NOT cover the control module since it is an "updated" part. Control module is $408, 1 hour labor @ $80. Another dealer quoted me $150 labor.
Either way this whole ordeal leaves me with about a grand out of pocket and this is after my "premium" warranty with $0 deduct covered nearly $4k in other repairs.
All I have to say is THANK GOD for warranties. They try and argue everything you claim, but in the end I paid $2600 for the warranty and will have almost double that out of this one claim. Ouch!

SIDE NOTE: Doesn't MB have a 10 year drive train warranty on all their vehicles? Would the tranny not fall into this category? What exactly IS covered by the 10 year coverage from the factory anyway? I think I need to look into that a bit closer...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
If you want to save a few $$$, buy the parts not covered on your warranty here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213951

The TCU comes out to $306 plus shipping. That's crazy you have to upgrade the valve body too, many C32s just get their module replace...

Good luck

If you guys want to fix your jerk, this is the solution and the vendor to use. For $306 you get the tranny control module which has already been programmed for your car. They are VIN specific, so after they code it with your VIN, it can't be returned.

Also, I wouldn't do this unless you have confirmed that you do not the valeo radiator.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
If you guys want to fix your jerk, this is the solution and the vendor to use. For $306 you get the tranny control module which has already been programmed for your car. They are VIN specific, so after they code it with your VIN, it can't be returned.

Also, I wouldn't do this unless you have confirmed that you do not the valeo radiator.
good to know...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Apparently the *updated* valve body requires an *updated* EGS/ETC unit (TCU). However, an original valve body that has nothing wrong with it *can* communicate with an updated TCU. Sort of implies to me that the module is the root cause of the problem (assuming glycol is not your issue).

Anyway, here I sit at my dealer while they try to code my 2003 module with my 2002 VIN. They initally told me that it can't be done, but after talking with the shop foreman he's more optimistic. He's gonna give it another try.

Regards,
Pete

Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

What's the part # of it on that page? Also, is it an easy install?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by moorfan
However, an original valve body that has nothing wrong with it *can* communicate with an updated TCU. Sort of implies to me that the module is the root cause of the problem (assuming glycol is not your issue).

Regards,
Pete
This is exactly what I tried to get straight with my dealer hoping they would say the TCU was faulty or at least the cause of the problem, which would mean my warranty would then cover it. But no, they are saying the valve body is the ONLY bad part and they cannot replace the valve body without the updated TCU.
I'm half tempted to tell the dealer to just keep the car and I'm gonna go buy a freakin Civic... (KIDDING!)
Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
What's the part # of it on that page? Also, is it an easy install?
I listed the part numbers above. [ Tranny Control Module - part #032 545 1232.] The install is charged 1 hr labor, so that means it probably takes 10-15 minutes if you know what you're looking at.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment