C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What would you move up to if the C55/C32 became to small for you ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Black
Originally Posted by Vomit
How 'bout a 03-06 twin turbo V12 S600. Can be had in the 50K or even high 40K range now. Little Renntech mod, and you have a super lux sedan that just happens to run an 11 second 1/4 mile.

No doubt, I thought the same way. $50k+ for an 03. Then you have to be looking at 50k miles. Plus it is an 03 (4 yours old now). Finally, it in not an AMG. I like my hand built engine with components that the MB does not have. I feel better with 700hp and 800tq in an AMG.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
It would be hard to say which is fuglier, the CTS or the 300. But on paper, they make a lot of expensive cars look kind of stupid.

Have you seen the Dodge Charger? That thing is a joke. I cannot believe that Chrysler could not make ONE understated, conservative looking car employing the amazing hardware in that platform.

I thought the Magnum (wagon) was OK when it came out, but since the 300 and Charger came out, the Magnum is starting to look pretty good! Next is the Challenger. It's look better but weigh 5,000 lbs.

Personally, I like a car that can handle, and as quick as these mooses are, they are HEAVY.
I actually considered the Magnum for my wife but ended up getting her a BMW x3..

Yes, the dodge charger is about the ugliest car I have ever seen. WTF were they thinking? They should have made the car a coupe or at least offered a coupe.. Also, it just seems so freaking huge.. I have only seen like one that actually looked decent but it had new wheels and other mods..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
I actually considered the Magnum for my wife but ended up getting her a BMW x3..

Yes, the dodge charger is about the ugliest car I have ever seen. WTF were they thinking? They should have made the car a coupe or at least offered a coupe.. Also, it just seems so freaking huge.. I have only seen like one that actually looked decent but it had new wheels and other mods..
I'll bet BMW never thought they'd have X3 customers cross-shopping with a Magnum! I was actually cross-shopping the C32, S4 (which makes sense), the Mini Cooper S and the Mazda RX8! They're all 4 seater driver's cars, but you would not think of them as being in the same class.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 PM

05 C55 AMG, Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 04
Originally Posted by shahedC
Not really, ... did you know that VW owns Audi? That's he was calling the Audi cars a "pimped out" VW...

.. so there!

By that logic, how do you feel about a Lamborghini ? Or a Bentley ? Or how about a Bugatti ? Does the Bugatti Veyron resemble a VW too ?

Guess who owns these brands ?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Keep in mind... If you goto something larger than the C55 you are dramatically going to suffer handling capabilities. For example, if you get the 4000lb E55 with the longer wheel base etc...it's going to drive like a boat and never be as nimble or fun to drive as your C55. Yes, the straight line acceleration will be better but that is it! Handling will go down the tubes and in my mind that is a deal breaker on these big sedans that weigh too much.

I love being able to toss my C55 around all over the place and have it handle like a gem. You will never have that same feeling in an M5, E55, CLS55, RS6, etc, etc, etc...

Good Luck!

Very valid point, and I have certainly thought that about, but I just don't think I get enough of a chance in normal traffic here to make this a big issue.
As you are from Chicago I am sure you are familiar with the busy streets we have here.

I like the accelaration but I just don't have the open roads often enough to reallythrow it into the corners.

I wish I had the money and time for a membership at the Autobahn Race Track country club in Joliet...now that would be the perfect venue for the car !!
Old 07-23-2006, 06:53 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
If you are wanting to stay with Mercedes-Benz you should go for the e55 although heavier it might me as enjoyable and personally it looks even more like a beast than the c55. If you want to stay in the German car ranks obviously there is BMW, AUDI and VW. VW has that Phaeton but ive heard little about it and doubt its power. BMW how about an M5. The M6 is slightly bigger than the c55 im pretty sure, but just looks longer and has same minimal back room. The s6, s8, rs6 are also good cars, even though i think they are a little overpriced by about 5k or so. For the winters and summers you have in Chicago i would reccomend a car that has many capibilaties and good handling bc your road conditions are always changing (windy city too ha). Therefore a quattro looks very nice. With audi, although people here don't like them you are getting a AWD that is very reliable and almost cant be beaten. If safety is a big issue, go to the Testimonial forum and look at the E55 that was crashed into very reliable in that way. Overall if you want that get up and go thats (heres the key) SEEMINGLY like you c55 because it is lightweight, go with the M5/6. The m6 does even look half bad in my opinion DONT KILL ME. If you want good interior and a very good ride and stability with some good get up and go definetly go for Audis S6/8 rs6 hell maybe even the rs4. If you want great interior luxury with the equal amount of speed go for the E55. Its all a matter of whats more important to you. For me, I would go for the Rs6 or S8. E55 next. M6 close to second.
Good luck with all the choices you need to make!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:26 AM

everything and anything
I recently had similar problems as well. After test driving BMW and Mercedes (wanted to stay in the german family). I liked the bmw 550i, 750i, e500 and s550. The Audi's i didnt bother with....I have an suv as well so theres no need for quattro. I was very impressed with the Bmw 550i. It has plenty of room, plenty of power and the price isnt too bad. If you wanted to stay Mercedes then stay with the new E550. It will be here in 2 weeks or so. The other reason I chose Bmw was of its warranty and full maintenance program (wear and tear items). Audi and Mercedes have stop providing the programs. Mercedes in 2005 and Audi in 2006.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 PM

I'm waiting for the Challenger in a big way. I've been a Dodge Boy since childhood and always wanted a classic Challenger. My brother has a numbers-matching, Dodge Demon 340 Six-Pack. It's an original Grand Spaulding GSS car too! I'd love to come back into the fold after years in German cars. The C32 would become the daily driver

Thing is, I'm worried that they are going to screw the pooch on the Challenger the way they did on the Charger, especially since it's based on the same chassis. The Charger concept a few years back was awesome (see below) - but too much was lost in the translation to the street.

If they make the Challenger look like this: with 450+ HP, weigh not much more than 3200lbs, and no intrusive DSC, I'm IN.

It would be hard to say which is fuglier, the CTS or the 300. But on paper, they make a lot of expensive cars look kind of stupid.

Have you seen the Dodge Charger? That thing is a joke. I cannot believe that Chrysler could not make ONE understated, conservative looking car employing the amazing hardware in that platform.

I thought the Magnum (wagon) was OK when it came out, but since the 300 and Charger came out, the Magnum is starting to look pretty good! Next is the Challenger. It's look better but weigh 5,000 lbs.

Personally, I like a car that can handle, and as quick as these mooses are, they are HEAVY.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by marc32
I recently had similar problems as well. After test driving BMW and Mercedes (wanted to stay in the german family). I liked the bmw 550i, 750i, e500 and s550. The Audi's i didnt bother with....I have an suv as well so theres no need for quattro. I was very impressed with the Bmw 550i. It has plenty of room, plenty of power and the price isnt too bad. If you wanted to stay Mercedes then stay with the new E550. It will be here in 2 weeks or so. The other reason I chose Bmw was of its warranty and full maintenance program (wear and tear items). Audi and Mercedes have stop providing the programs. Mercedes in 2005 and Audi in 2006.

Thanks for the info Marc, I had thought about the BMW 5 series but was worried the gain in space may not be that much vs. the C class..is the space working for you ?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I'll bet BMW never thought they'd have X3 customers cross-shopping with a Magnum! I was actually cross-shopping the C32, S4 (which makes sense), the Mini Cooper S and the Mazda RX8! They're all 4 seater driver's cars, but you would not think of them as being in the same class.
Haha.. True true.. I went in looking at something for my wife to carry the kids in. We were looking at a 330 wagon.. but even though the X3 was about 10k more, the lease on the x3 was about 100 a month less..

Originally Posted by m3_eater
Thing is, I'm worried that they are going to screw the pooch on the Challenger the way they did on the Charger, especially since it's based on the same chassis. The Charger concept a few years back was awesome (see below) - but too much was lost in the translation to the street.
Man, what happened from concept to final product on the Charger.. they really screwed that up IMO.. Yes, if the challenger looks like those pics it could be a big seller. It looks pretty sweet to me..
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
If they make the Challenger look like this: with 450+ HP, weigh not much more than 3200lbs, and no intrusive DSC, I'm IN.
Sorry but I think you might need to be thinking more along the lines of 4,000lbs. Nobody seems to care about weight anymore. They just make the engine bigger.

It will be nice, though, if we get another ponycar war.

My "dream car" would be a remake of the Cougar, based on the Mustang, with fully independent suspension, 350HP V8, and an interior worthy of a German luxury car. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury has NOTHING to compete with all the high-end coupes from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes, and they could make a fantastic car for under $50,000.

The Cougar name still has some value, despite the awkward Probe-clone they sold a few years ago. Again, the weakness will be the dealerships, which are still geared to sell land yachts to senior citizens. I'm not sure why Ford even keeps the Lincoln/Mercury brand around. They have so little to offer at this point.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
... I'm not sure why Ford even keeps the Lincoln/Mercury brand around. They have so little to offer at this point.
Well, they do sell Lincoln Town Cars for use by "limo" drivers and undercover cops... and there's some woman on TV who seems to be very happy driving a Mercury Milan for some weird reason...
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
Im getting an S6 in a week or so, ile let you all know how it turns out because thats been a car of discussion, looking forward to that quattro for the german winters
Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Before drop my deposit for a new S350, I will wait for the 2007 Lexus LS to compare. I used to hate the LS current model's front end ; but it seems the new LS will have a similar front end design like the GS....so I might change my mind.

The available Mark Levinson® audio system will now have Surround Sound with 19 speakers and a hard-disk audio server built in to hold 4,000 of your favorite songs.

more details:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusLS460/

Last edited by cntlaw; 07-27-2006 at 04:28 AM.