C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What would you move up to if the C55/C32 became to small for you ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55 AMG, Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 04
What would you move up to if the C55/C32 became to small for you ?

I am thinking about getting a slightly bigger car,i.e. a little more room for passengers in the back,more trunk space..etc.

I love the C55, it is a blast to drive but I cannot help feeling it is a little tight as a daily driver.I love the AMG power and would still want something that has some speed but is just a little more practical.

It seems the logical decision would be an E55, I hope there may some good deals to be had soon with the E63 arrival.

Also thinking of an Audi A8, S6 or S8, really love the idea of Quattro for the Chicago winter.

Anyone else had similar thoughts ? What would you move to ?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 PM

C70/C350
you are so concerned about your back seat drivers that you would be willing to pay thousands more to make them more comfy????

Unless you are driving people around all the time what makes the C55 seem so small???

Are you running a taxi service?

Now AWD I can understand in Chicago, but trading a Benz for a pimped out Volkswagon??? If it makes you happy.......
Old 07-16-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A
you are so concerned about your back seat drivers that you would be willing to pay thousands more to make them more comfy????

Unless you are driving people around all the time what makes the C55 seem so small???

Now AWD I can understand in Chicago, but trading a Benz for a pimped out Volkswagon??? If it makes you happy.......
Gee, great answer Whats so unrealistic about chitown's question anyway?

Chitown- You have a Jeep for when you want a little more room but if you want a bigger sedan, an E55 would be a great step up not only in size, but in performance and power. There are some pretty good deals out there too.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
E55 is a great choice.

Another good option would be a RS6 (if your not an Audi hater).

Other than those, one might consider an M5.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:10 PM

C70/C350
well, let me ask you this; is there so much more room in an Audi (sedan) or e55 to constitute losing money on selling your c55, having higher insurance rates on an e55 and matn. and does an M5 provide any more room on a harsher ride quality?? Certainly of all those cars the c55 is the least expensive to own and no less fun to drive.

It's simple common sense

Need I mention its a daily driver, so Im sure it gets a few miles and loses the least amount in depreciation value since it is the least expensive of those mentioned. Now if you want better traction a good set of snows and perhaps a LS will provide that for less hassle and less money than trading in for a car that handles worse in bad weather (except the Audi)

None of those cars have so much more room than the c55 that it makes sense upgrading to anything outside a wagon. For me I love the ****pit feel as opposed to driving a steam ship saloon. But if I was fat and it was a tight squeeze to sit in the car I wouldnt have bought it
Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
well, let me ask you this; is there so much more room in an Audi (sedan) or e55 to constitute losing money on selling your c55, having higher insurance rates on an e55 and matn. and does an M5 provide any more room on a harsher ride quality?? Certainly of all those cars the c55 is the least expensive to own and no less fun to drive.

It's simple common sense

Need I mention its a daily driver, so Im sure it gets a few miles and loses the least amount in depreciation value since it is the least expensive of those mentioned. Now if you want better traction a good set of snows and perhaps a LS will provide that for less hassle and less money than trading in for a car that handles worse in bad weather (except the Audi)

None of those cars have so much more room than the c55 that it makes sense upgrading to anything outside a wagon. For me I love the ****pit feel as opposed to driving a steam ship saloon. But if I was fat and it was a tight squeeze to sit in the car I wouldnt have bought it
I'm Asian and the C55 is too small for me.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
My thoughts

C class certainly can be a bit cramped ... are you looking to move to a larger size due to children? Or is it a comfort issue?

I'd look into a used E55 or E63, CLS55 or CLS63. Just remember if you get the CLS its for 4 people only.

Regards,
Old 07-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Everyone has an opinion. Each person is allowed to choose what is best for themselves.

2006 M5
Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 191.5 in. Width: 72.7 in.
Height: 57.8 in. Wheel Base: 113.7 in.
Curb Weight: 4012 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.7 in. Front Shoulder Room: 57.3 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.8 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 57.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 36 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 14 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

2006 E55
Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 190.3 in. Width: 71.3 in.
Height: 57.2 in. Wheel Base: 112.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. Curb Weight: 4087 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 57.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.4 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 56.1 in. Rear Hip Room: 57.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 35.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 15.9 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft.

2006 C55
Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 181.8 in. Width: 68 in.
Height: 55.6 in. Wheel Base: 106.9 in.
Curb Weight: 3540 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.9 in. Front Hip Room: 52 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 53.1 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 54.3 in. Rear Hip Room: 54.4 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 33 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.2 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 12 cu. ft.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/bmw/...117/specs.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/merc...819/specs.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/merc...274/specs.html
Old 07-16-2006, 03:20 PM

C70/C350
A.ML are you Samoan?

http://www.visitsamoa.ws/

jsut the facts jack just the facts

Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
C class certainly can be a bit cramped ... are you looking to move to a larger size due to children? Or is it a comfort issue?

I'd look into a used E55 or E63, CLS55 or CLS63. Just remember if you get the CLS its for 4 people only.

Regards,
One child on the way,but that would be fine in the C55. I may take a look at the CLS,the lines of the car are awesome, but I have heard that it is pretty tight in the back in terms of headroom.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz

You are a real winner.

The W203, while a great car, is still small if you need a car to drive people around. There is nothing like stuffing 3 clients into a C-Class to go to a meeting. The 2 6 footers in the back will be most pleased with your choice of vehicles.

The guy asked a question. If you cant answer it dont post anything. Seems simple right?

As for what car to get, I say that an E55 would be a nice pick but I dont know how much "space" you really need. If you do need to drive your family or your clients around regularly I think a W220 AMG might be more your style (staying in the mb family). An S8 would also work but I dont know your budget. A used 2004 S55 is fairly cheap and a new S8 is going to run you 112k+.

Good luck.

The E55 is a good middle ground but it has only 2 more inches of rear leg room. Its a nice size car for me but I also have an R350 to haul people around when I need to.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 07-16-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:34 PM

It's simple common sense

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Zooropa. You are obviously in love with your C55,it is certainly a great car.Nobody is saying it is not,but there are other nice alternatives out there. Some of us just like to change cars after a year or two,nothing for you to worry about. You keep enjoying the C55 In case you may have missed it, this thread was not started to convince anyone what a great car the C55 is , we already know that.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
A.ML are you Samoan?

http://www.visitsamoa.ws/

jsut the facts jack just the facts

Vietnamese/Chinese.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:15 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
An Audi RS6 would be a good car in Chicago, throw a set of Blizzaks on in the winter and you will have a blast. Depending on mileage your looking at 50-65 thousand. 450 hp V-8 twin-turbo (easy to mod)...........Audis are hardly hopped up VW's, they are very well built German automobiles.
I've owned a few of them when living on the East coast and they were all great cars.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:31 PM

This was the dumbest and most ignorant comment I have heard in my life. Comparing A8 or S6 to a VW???? C'mon!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:37 PM

C70/C350
chitownC55 you seem like a very well balanced indivual who knows what he wants and I am certain you will be happy regardless of what you decide. I wouldn't presume to believe you allow your heart to dictate your financial decisions like I do By the way congrats on the new family!

CynCarvin32, it just seems simple to me that when looking for a car that has more leg room for passengers and better traction in foul weather you should not upgrade to a vehicle that has worse traction (in foul weather) and a hair more leg room but costs 20K more= common sense you see. So much for playful humor

Just a recap in case -

As for the question I believe I did answer it as it referred to consideration of purchasing a more expensive vehicle in hopes of more leg room for rear passengers? and better traction. But perhaps some people weigh the posts of others more heavily and more seriously than I do. I can see some of you have 10000+ posts (what do you do in your spare time?) and I apologize if I infringed on anyones sensibilities as I highly enjoy this site when I am on

So calm down, just calm down, pop some prozac and go hit the road with some coffee in one hand, a smoke and your cell in the other while driving with your knees and your pants around your ankles as all Benz owners should do out of obligation - but only if there is more than one person in the car with you

oh and be sure to drive fast in the slow lane to scare those soggy azzes who drive slow n the fastlane

NOTE TO RADERS: Sarcasm = A verbal/written tone in which it is obvious from context that the speaker means the opposite of what he or she says
Old 07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
[QUOTE=m444]2006 M5
Dimensions

Curb Weight: 4012 lbs.

2006 E55
Dimensions

Curb Weight: 4087 lbs.
Interior
Front Hip Room: 57.2 in.

2006 C55
Dimensions

Curb Weight: 3540 lbs.
Interior
Front Hip Room: 52 in.[QUOTE=m444]

I don't know if I would like to spend all the cash to add 500 pound to my curb weight and the only significant differentiation in dimentions is the front hip room. Wooo..5 inches of butt space for all that $$.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
used E55 or new S6.

couple of you need to face the facts.

The W203 IS a small car period. I couldn't fit myself in the rear with my normal driving position. I have to move the seat up another 1/2-1 inch so I can sit in the back. The W211 is by far much more comfortable to be in.

Right now the W203 is fine with me, but in the future I would definitely want a bigger car.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-16-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Go on a diet! The car obviously fit you when you purchased it. Did it not?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Go on a diet! The car obviously fit you when you purchased it. Did it not?

Zeppelin,

I wish I had the same patience as you when it comes to cars. Obviously you will keep yours for ever and never even think about getting something else.

In my case, I feel like a change in the next 6 months and want a bigger car. This does not mean that I am getting bigger

I am sorry if stating a very obvious fact,i.e. the C55 is a small car offends you but it is the truth. The c-class is in the same class as the Audi A4 or the BMW 3 in terms of size.

So, while I appreciate the humor in your "go on a diet" reply, I think you are completely missing the point.

Last edited by chitownC55; 07-16-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 AM

a Black
S65 baby! That is what I am saving up for in 2008...

Really, I love the C32, with the kids, two under two, it is not great, but not bad either. I left the clk for the c once the second kid came. it is the third car for the kids, but once a month I have one of them in there. Still, it is cumfy. I would keep the c55 and buy a Lexus LX470 or F150 four door. Those are the others I have and I love the combo.

btw...6'2, 220
Old 07-17-2006, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
chitownC55 you seem like a very well balanced indivual who knows what he wants and I am certain you will be happy regardless of what you decide. I wouldn't presume to believe you allow your heart to dictate your financial decisions like I do By the way congrats on the new family!

CynCarvin32, it just seems simple to me that when looking for a car that has more leg room for passengers and better traction in foul weather you should not upgrade to a vehicle that has worse traction (in foul weather) and a hair more leg room but costs 20K more= common sense you see. So much for playful humor

Just a recap in case -

As for the question I believe I did answer it as it referred to consideration of purchasing a more expensive vehicle in hopes of more leg room for rear passengers? and better traction. But perhaps some people weigh the posts of others more heavily and more seriously than I do. I can see some of you have 10000+ posts (what do you do in your spare time?) and I apologize if I infringed on anyones sensibilities as I highly enjoy this site when I am on

So calm down, just calm down, pop some prozac and go hit the road with some coffee in one hand, a smoke and your cell in the other while driving with your knees and your pants around your ankles as all Benz owners should do out of obligation - but only if there is more than one person in the car with you

oh and be sure to drive fast in the slow lane to scare those soggy azzes who drive slow n the fastlane

NOTE TO RADERS: Sarcasm = A verbal/written tone in which it is obvious from context that the speaker means the opposite of what he or she says
Sorry, but if you think your responses fit into the definition of sarcasm, as you posted, I suggest you re-read what you typed...You would think the obvious part of it would have hit one of us (you excluded) by now
Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by chitownC55
I am thinking about getting a slightly bigger car,i.e. a little more room for passengers in the back,more trunk space..etc.

I love the C55, it is a blast to drive but I cannot help feeling it is a little tight as a daily driver.I love the AMG power and would still want something that has some speed but is just a little more practical.

It seems the logical decision would be an E55, I hope there may some good deals to be had soon with the E63 arrival.

Also thinking of an Audi A8, S6 or S8, really love the idea of Quattro for the Chicago winter.

Anyone else had similar thoughts ? What would you move to ?
I'm an Audi lover, but to go up in size, I would favor the A8 or S8. the S6 is nice, but it's only (ha!) 340 HP and no longer in production. There is a new S6 coming out that has a killer 10 cylinder engine (like the M5).
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM

Jeep SRT-8. Dealer offered me one right off the bat for 36K. Awesome launch with the awd. Just add a paxton and you're set!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Why not a ML55?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you move up to if the C55/C32 became to small for you ?