C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need advice - What to watch on 2002 C32 AMG with 70k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice - What to watch on 2002 C32 AMG with 70k

Hi,

I am in the market for a C32 2002 with 70k on it. I am new to MB and would like to know what I should be aware of on this particular model/year/era ? What is expensive and can break ou easily ? I have no idea who was the previous owner but the car is sold by MB dealer.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
if you shop around you can find good deals with low miles just up to you on how much your budget is... buying from a dealer will be more. if you can find one with warranty that will be the best thing there are a couple of people selling thier c32 here with low miles.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trekman
if you shop around you can find good deals with low miles just up to you on how much your budget is... buying from a dealer will be more. if you can find one with warranty that will be the best thing there are a couple of people selling thier c32 here with low miles.

Hi,

I am in Canada, so the market if way more smaller that in US... There is 2 C32 for sale in my whole province.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by mz3bo
Hi,

I am in Canada, so the market if way more smaller that in US... There is 2 C32 for sale in my whole province.
Road Trip!

Come to So. Cal. for a vaction and drive home in your new C32. You should be able to find 2 at every dealer in Orange County.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Road Trip!

Come to So. Cal. for a vaction and drive home in your new C32. You should be able to find 2 at every dealer in Orange County.
at one available in my garage!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by psk145
at one available in my garage!!
Hey mz3bo, see I told you so. Just think, you can enjoy the beaches in Orange County for a day or two and drive back in a pampered, low-miles C32.

Forget Canada. Spend your hard earned dollars (Canadian or US) down our way.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW911
Hey mz3bo, see I told you so. Just think, you can enjoy the beaches in Orange County for a day or two and drive back in a pampered, low-miles C32.

Forget Canada. Spend your hard earned dollars (Canadian or US) down our way.
Sorry folks,

Must stay here in canada... Any advise ?? What about that "jerk" I am reading about ???
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Must stay here in canada... Any advise ?? What about that "jerk" I am reading about ???
Don't worry.. he's banned for two weeks
Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by 360_iti
Don't worry.. he's banned for two weeks

mz3bo, What's the problem? Never got those "issues" cleared up with our Homeland Security Dept.?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
mz3bo, to summarize the potential problems, search the forum on the following list:
Whining sound - supercharger
Coolant leaks - intercooler, also search in relation to old radiator (Valeo) vs new (Behr)
Transmission jerk - software (my case), or could be caused by various problems. Anyone else wants to add ?
Extended warranty is a must if you don't have any stashed cash.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I think the only problem you're going to have is the same with all Mercedes' - there is a potential for you to be driving the down the road and all parts of the car will sequentially fall away, leaving you flying down the road with the steering wheel in your hand ala Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Seriously, if you're not going to mod the car, just make sure you have a good warranty. The list of thing that will go wrong with this car is just too long to list, but search for some posts by me and you will see many of them.

This is the most unreliable, component-crappy (radiator, intercooler pump, tranny ecu, windows, seat heaters, suspension parts, blah blah blah) I have ever owned, and I've owned some real ****. It's been in the shop once a month or more since I got it about a year ago.

That said, there is literally no other car that turns me on like this one for styling and power, and still meets my needs (4 door that I can autox and road race). Awesome car, horrible quality of componentry - I think the base engine and tranny are very strong, but a lot of compromises were made in other areas. My mods for this year will consist of replacing those compromises with quality Ford parts (j/k I know that pump is the basically the same, I'm going with the Johnson marine pump I think).
Old 08-08-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bif powell
I think the only problem you're going to have is the same with all Mercedes' - there is a potential for you to be driving the down the road and all parts of the car will sequentially fall away, leaving you flying down the road with the steering wheel in your hand ala Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Seriously, if you're not going to mod the car, just make sure you have a good warranty. The list of thing that will go wrong with this car is just too long to list, but search for some posts by me and you will see many of them.

This is the most unreliable, component-crappy (radiator, intercooler pump, tranny ecu, windows, seat heaters, suspension parts, blah blah blah) I have ever owned, and I've owned some real ****. It's been in the shop once a month or more since I got it about a year ago.

That said, there is literally no other car that turns me on like this one for styling and power, and still meets my needs (4 door that I can autox and road race). Awesome car, horrible quality of componentry - I think the base engine and tranny are very strong, but a lot of compromises were made in other areas. My mods for this year will consist of replacing those compromises with quality Ford parts (j/k I know that pump is the basically the same, I'm going with the Johnson marine pump I think).
Thanks BifPowell,

I will seek for additional informations but I am a little more afraid that what I was before...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Thanks BifPowell,

I will seek for additional informations but I am a little more afraid that what I was before...
Well, to be fair ALL cars will have problems - not long ago someone posted on here that they were glad to only have the problems I previously listed since they came from an Audi - luck of the draw in many cases I suspect. I think the most important factor is the MB dealers and in my area they are really horrible. The local Porsche dealer has a GREAT rep (Carousel Porsche/Audi) so maybe I should get into an RS/S4, but I just don't have the personal connection to those like I do AMGs - childhood dream and all that stuff.

Good luck in any case!