C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

how many miles after brake sensor lights up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63
how many miles after brake sensor lights up?

hi, just wondering if there is any 'general' number to see how many miles you have left before you hit bare metal when the brake lining sensor is on. i know driving habits vary, but will it be 100 miles, thousand miles, or like 5k miles? i dont want to drive to work one day and my brakes fail.... thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
depend on how hard you use your brakes, i would say every 25000 miles
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 PM

08 E63
i think i wasnt too clear... my 'brake lining indicator - visit workshop' light went on, i was wondering how many more miles can be safely driven before i have 0 (zero) pad material left on my calipers? assuming driving styles vary, i just want to see if i can get a couple hundred or thousand miles safely before changing pads, rotors,... thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C32 AMG, '69 BMW 2002, MC-130H
why????

Just curious why you would want to push it. The pads themselves aren't that unreasonable, but if you screw around and damage the rotors by not changing the pads, the AMG rotors are pricey. To me that's like asking how long you can drive without changing the oil before the engine seizes. It makes no sense. Do your scheduled maintenance ahead of time if anything and you and your car will both be happier
Old 08-18-2006, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
You get at least 500 miles after the sensors touch the rotors before the pads are gone. If you go easy on the brakes, you have about 1000. No emergency -- it's just time to schedule the trip to the shop.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:39 AM

08 E63
thank you for your response... i was just seeing how long i have left since i use the car everday to commute. i was not trying to not replace the brakes, just worried that i would have my brakes fail during commute hours. i know there should be a safety limit for the sensors, but they kept on blinking and reappearing on my dash it makes me paranoid!!! hahaha thanks again!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by whoover
You get at least 500 miles after the sensors touch the rotors before the pads are gone. If you go easy on the brakes, you have about 1000. No emergency -- it's just time to schedule the trip to the shop.
Dead on!

I hit 650 before I made it to the shop.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herkjerk
Just curious why you would want to push it. The pads themselves aren't that unreasonable, but if you screw around and damage the rotors by not changing the pads, the AMG rotors are pricey. To me that's like asking how long you can drive without changing the oil before the engine seizes. It makes no sense. Do your scheduled maintenance ahead of time if anything and you and your car will both be happier

The guy asks for a little help determining how long he has to get to the shop, and you scold him for not spending the money to have it done BEFORE it needs to be. That's really helpful, buddy
Old 08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C32 AMG, '69 BMW 2002, MC-130H
Well...

re-reading my response, I can see how it could be interpretted as being harsh, but from lurking around this board for several months I have come to the impression that a good portion (not all by any means) of the people on this board have very little practical mechanical experience. Based on this assumption, I misinterpretated his original post and didn't want him to make a mistake that could jeapordize his safety or his pocket book. I am a Military Flight Engineer by profession and spent 10 years turning a wrench in the avaiation world prior to my current job and I can tell you from experience that intellect does not always translate into common sense or practical know-how. I spend my days preventing perfectly well-intentioned Academy grads from killing me as well as being corrected by them on things. Based off of this, I was just trying to help the guy out.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:19 PM

08 E63
thank you for the concern. i was trying to see if i should stop driving my car to work until i arrange an appt. to have a brake job either at the stealership or to take it to my friends shop. i commute everyday to work for 60mi total for the day and was trying to figure out if it was still safe to drive for a week.

although not a mechanic by trade, i do know enough about cars both technically and common sense wise to know whats safe to put off and what is not. plus, btw, ive been a member here on this forum since 2002.... i know how to STFF... =) thank you again for the advice. have a wonderful day
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
I thought I was the only 9FF in here!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 PM

i did 1200 miles once.. it was almost metal to metal . some 1 or 2 mm left. after 900-1000 miles it started making noises when i hit the breaks. so i say 800 easly. but MB says you should replace them within 500 miles after light come off.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herkjerk
re-reading my response, I can see how it could be interpretted as being harsh, but from lurking around this board for several months I have come to the impression that a good portion (not all by any means) of the people on this board have very little practical mechanical experience. Based on this assumption, I misinterpretated his original post and didn't want him to make a mistake that could jeapordize his safety or his pocket book. I am a Military Flight Engineer by profession and spent 10 years turning a wrench in the avaiation world prior to my current job and I can tell you from experience that intellect does not always translate into common sense or practical know-how. I spend my days preventing perfectly well-intentioned Academy grads from killing me as well as being corrected by them on things. Based off of this, I was just trying to help the guy out.

I retract my statement - good reasoning on your part. You remind me of my flight instructor from when I got my private ticket. He was a no-nonsense retired military man, and I credit him with my approach to all machines, air or ground