C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Local MB dealer won't sell a warranty extension on ANY AMG car....Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Local MB dealer won't sell a warranty extension on ANY AMG car....Normal?

Considering buy a C32 privately (currently still under CPO warranty) so I called my local dealer to ask how much to extend the warranty. The response was that even if you buy the car from them CPO, they do not sell extensions/replacement warranties once that CPO warranty runs out on any AMG vehicle...

Am I missing something, or have they just found that even they can't make money on these because the parts are so expensive?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
You could try an aftermarket company like Car Solutions. I think I got the platnium coverage to 100,000 miles for like $2k.

Not a bad deal when most things that do go bad on the C32 are up there in cost. (seat heater = $1k...rear sun shade = $900...transmission..$200-$10,000...leaking bushings...$1k...intercooler...$1k )

Anyway, the car solution folks are great, probably because they are related w/ an airline credit union and do not want to lose that lucrative account.

They paid up $1700 to fix the dashboard and fuel pump on my E430 five days after I bought my car. (Cost of actual coverage was $1500.00 and they did not drop me!)
Old 08-25-2006, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by BentleyJava
Considering buy a C32 privately (currently still under CPO warranty) so I called my local dealer to ask how much to extend the warranty. The response was that even if you buy the car from them CPO, they do not sell extensions/replacement warranties once that CPO warranty runs out on any AMG vehicle...

Am I missing something, or have they just found that even they can't make money on these because the parts are so expensive?

MB dealers will only sell you an extended warranty if you buy the car from them.

I am the third owner of my car. The first owner traded it in off a lease, the second owner bought it CPO and bought an extened warranty to 100k miles. The warranty transferred to me when I bought it private sale since the warranty was already paid for to 100k miles.

How many miles is the CPO warranty good til? When it gets close to the end by a warranty from an aftermarket company.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I always thought CPO already had the 100k mile warranty?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The Starmark (CPO) warranty extends the new-car warranty by one year, or 100,000 miles. That's almost always one year in practical term, thus the extended Starmark warranties for another year or two. These extended warranties must be purchased at the time you buy the Starmark car. AMGs are certainly eligible.

A similar extended warranty (another three years /100k) can be purchased with a new Mercedes (including AMG).
Old 08-25-2006, 04:37 PM

The seller told me that the warranty is good until Nov of this year. The car only has 37k miles.

Does this not add up? A little confused...

Do all CPO cars bought from MB have the coverage until 100k?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I always thought CPO already had the 100k mile warranty?
usually most CPO do, but not all. I've seen on some of the high mileage, but newer used W211 or W203 that doesn't have CPO on them.

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Well we were trying to look for extended warranty on a low mileage CLK55, and at least in my experience...a lot of the online sites would not quote for AMG...

It was quite simple...Select your model: there is a drop down list of MB's line up...and at the very end there is an option: ANY AMG. If you select that and ask for a quote, it says SORRY we do not offer extended warranty on these vehicles!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BentleyJava
The seller told me that the warranty is good until Nov of this year. The car only has 37k miles.

Does this not add up? A little confused...

Do all CPO cars bought from MB have the coverage until 100k?

Thanks!
The Starmark warranty is for one more year than the new-car warranty or 100k miles, whichever comes first. That will normally be the time, not mileage. The optional extended warranties (that you can buy when you buy the CPO car from the dealer) add one or two more years. But even with the max time of seven years (4 years on factory warranty plus 1 year on Starmark base warranty plus two years extended), time normally runs out before 100k.

Let's say this were a 2002 model, delivered in November 2001 and resold by the dealer as a Starmark (CPO) car in 2004. The factory warranty would have run until 11/2005 (48 months), at which point the Starmark warranty would cut in until 11/2006. Had the second purchaser done so when the car was bought as a Starmark, he could have paid for the Starmark warranty to run until either 11/2007 or 11/2008. But if he didn't, and it sounds like he didn't, you can't do it after the fact. That is true for any Mercedes, not just AMG.

The fact that third-party warranty companies won't sell for AMG is a separate issue.

Last edited by whoover; 08-26-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Almost a Member!

I found this out two weeks ago when I brought my car in for service (CEL). The finance manager told me the warranty companys don't want to warranty AMG vehicles because they are viewed as "RACE" cars!! I've always been able to buy an extended warranty for my other vehicles (Ford, VW) in the past. Why wouldn't Mercedes offer an extended warranty for their "Premier" vehicles. Sorry but I spent serious money on this car and I can't purchase an extended warranty for $2k. Come on!! Thats ridiculous. This is just another reason why I think this will be my last Mercedes.

Oh but wait.. It gets better.. The finance manager says he can sell me an extended warranty if I trade in my C32 for a C55!! Sorry but you can go screw!! So I'm going to open a savings account and put some money aside for repairs. If I don't use the funds in the account, I'm going to buy another BRAND!!

Sorry for the rant but this really ticked me off.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Well we were trying to look for extended warranty on a low mileage CLK55, and at least in my experience...a lot of the online sites would not quote for AMG...

It was quite simple...Select your model: there is a drop down list of MB's line up...and at the very end there is an option: ANY AMG. If you select that and ask for a quote, it says SORRY we do not offer extended warranty on these vehicles!

You can buy a bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100K miles for any MB AMG / BMW M / Audi S for under $2k all day long.

Read my post above... 2nd one down. There's a link to company that I've used for 2 vehicles, including my current "race-car" (LOL) AMG.

Mercedes Benz dealers are idiots. They do everything they can to lose customers. Most dealers would be ecstatic to take $2,000 of your money and provide you an extended warranty. But only MB stealerships are too good for that.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Once again, any Mercedes dealer will sell you a Mercedes extended warranty at the time you buy a new or CPO (Starmark) car. This includes AMG, although the price is higher for all AMG or 12-cylinder cars.

MBUSA does not sell extended warranties after the intial purchase. This is like health insurance; they assume that when the car is new or freshly-CPOed the risk of a hidden "preexisting condition" is minimal. That risk obviously goes up when someone comes looking for a warranty later on.

At this time, you're in the hands of third-party warranty companies. Some of them have no-AMG rules. But Mercedes does not discriminate against AMGs, except to charge a little higher premium.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
WOW! Took my C32 CPO in today for 'minor issues' like a rear window shade that does not work, breaks seem to rubble under medium pressure stops, squeaks from the front end and a squeaky drivers seat and they tell me most of this is NOT covered under the CPO warranty. I have maybe 500 miles on the car and looked at the SA and said your kidding right? Just a little pissed that their sales guy tells me its just similar to a factory warranty for one year or 12000 miles and I get this song and dance on my first visit? Not to impressed so far with the 'service' from MB. Turns out the SA says 'sales' will cover the cost of these repairs?

What's the REAL deal with a CPO warranty? I get the impression that its a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Look at the checklist for a CPO. Looks like the took 1 minute to check off all the boxes saying everything is cool with this car and just threw the car back on the lot and sell it to some poor mis-guided sucker! Let the buyer beware....even with a CPO Mercedes bought from a MB dealer.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The whole extended warranty business has left DaimlerChrysler with a bad taste in their mouth, and a big black eye to show the public. Due to quality issues caused by the sharp pencil boys (accountants) and suppliers, most notably Siemens, the company suffered huge losses on warranty work, and extended warranties that were priced based on loss data from cars sold in the late eighties. Mercedes then began to do everything possible to refuse selling an extended warranty. Things like over pricing the warranty, selling CPO warranties with severly limited time and mileage, and not allowing warranties to be purchased on cars that the factory gave incentives to dealers, prior to purchase by a consumer.

When Mercedes cars had free maintenence, some dealers used that workshop visit to find warranty repairs, that might have gone unoticed by the owner, to increase the workshops' volume. This killed free maintenence, and the factory began requiring workshops to get permission prior to making some repairs.

Some dealers take CPO certification seriously. I saw a technician spend 40 minutes testing each tick box on the form at one dealer. I saw perfectly good looking cars get rejected for what seemed to me to be minor body repairs. (Minor yes, inexpensive, no.)

Mercedes, like other car makers, uses CPO to extend the warranty as a sales tool for creampuff vehicles. They exclude troublesome cars as well as rentals, which in m "BenzSpeak" are called "alt trans" (alternative transportation.) Dealers pay a fee to get a CPO designation, and DC uses the money to advertise the CPO program, and pay for warranty work on those cars.

There are meaningful differences between the CPO warranty and the new car warranty, but for serious drive train work, you are covered.

A CPO warranty is generally one year or 12,000 miles, BUT the warranty stops at 100,000 total vehicle miles. If you buy a CPO car with 99,600 miles, your warranty is good for 400 miles.

California buyers of aftermarket warranties need to be careful. California law restricts car warranty sales to ONLY new car dealers. (Yes, the fox is watching the chickens.)
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM

2002 C32
So my dealer's quite happy to quote me for an extended warranty after the MB one has run out, it's from Western General and would be $3.3K for an additional 4 years/40K miles. I can PM you the details if you're interested.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Expat
So my dealer's quite happy to quote me for an extended warranty after the MB one has run out, it's from Western General and would be $3.3K for an additional 4 years/40K miles. I can PM you the details if you're interested.
Expat, Please PM me with those details.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Gone but not forgotten C36
bump for some good info
Old 05-02-2007, 05:33 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I'll say it once, I'll say it again.....

http://www.autoservicewarranty.com/

Last edited by Magician; 05-02-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Magician
I'll say it once, I'll say it again.....

http://www.autoservicewarranty.com/
OK, so I finally got someone to quote coverage for a C32 in California. $0 deductable, for 48 months, is $1797. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Now, how is this company at paying for the work? Any history of them denying work? I can't find any list of excluded items from their coverage, but every company has them.

Any feedback is welcome.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by whoover
MBUSA does not sell extended warranties after the intial purchase. This is like health insurance; they assume that when the car is new or freshly-CPOed the risk of a hidden "preexisting condition" is minimal. That risk obviously goes up when someone comes looking for a warranty later on.
there's this but applies to original owners only. see below cut and paste
link here. http://www.mbusa.com/care/warranty.do
XXXXXXXXXXX
Frequently Asked Questions
How long am I eligible to purchase extended coverage?Original owners may purchase extended coverage at any time during the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. A surcharge applies for vehicles having accrued more than either 12,000 total miles or 12 months from vehicle's delivery date.1

Who will honor my Extended Limited Warranty?Your Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty is honored at all of the more than 300 Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealerships nationwide. All warranty work will be done using Genuine Mercedes-Benz Parts.

Will I be asked to pay a deductible or file claim forms?Absolutely not. Unlike many other extended warranty programs, the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty will never ask you to file claim forms or pay any additional fees for warranty-covered service, repairs, or parts. It's effortless.

Can I transfer the extended warranty coverage?If you sell your Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty-covered Mercedes-Benz vehicle to a private party, its new owner may continue the coverage.2

What if I have other warranty questionsYour Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer is trained to answer any questions about the Extended Limited Warranty program. And as a Mercedes-Benz customer, you're never farther than a free phone call
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Hm, so I can still extend my MB Starmark? I bought it CPO + 1 extra year, and it expires 12/09. When I bought the car, there was the option of buying two extra years, expiring on 12/10. Can I still buy that extra year (I am still under original factory warranty, not extended) ?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
jgsx the ability to purchase the extend warranty applies to MY 05 on.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM

2005 Renntech C class
Does AAA offer extended warranty?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

FWIW I bought my c55 from an MB dealer CPO got the 1yr extended and had the option of doing 2yrs also for more $$ so sounds like BS to me. I have a pamphlet on it in fact that came with the car. Maybe because it's older and a 32 and out of the original warranty???
Old 05-15-2007, 01:41 AM

2005 C55
Extended Warranty

I bought my 05 C55 new and purchased a 100k MBZ factory warranty for 2K. No problems with the other than the resale value sucks the big one. Hoping the factory extended warranty might make it worth a little more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Local MB dealer won't sell a warranty extension on ANY AMG car....Normal?