C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

335i a threat to C55 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 K AMG 03/2002
I love cars, expecially fast ones.
I love my C32, got that instead of an ///M3 because I just think it's the sensible option for everyday use (i.e. you don't have to rev to 7900rpm to find those 343hp ///M3 has) since I don't live on a track (where ///M3 E46 can take any C32 upgraded or not, sorry but it's true, C32 on the track is doomed by the auto 'box and its steering while ///M3 was born on the Nurburgring........)
Audis: fast, classy and usually reliable. Fancied a current S4 but got the C32 because after testing drive both I thought it had kind of a better balance (that V8 from Audi is superb but makes the car a little too heavy in the front...it feels while you are cornering though AWD torsen is superb).
So I got the C32 though there are cars which are better in some areas and worse in others.
I think it's just a matter of personal taste, isn't it?
Ciao!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
who cares? 335 is ugly as hell. and don't even mention the interior

what you all should care about is the next generation C amg vs. E92 M3. we all know AMG has something special up their sleeves: 6.3 V8.

335i should be compared with the next gen. c class. we are in the middle of HP war and i'm sure MB will pull something outta their *** to match 335.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Coherent? That's somewhat questionable, babbling about how "overpriced" the Audi is without taking into consideration that Audi's have traditionally been on the more expensive side and that the "RS" models are VERY rare and exclusive, and come with one of the most advanced AWD systems on the planet, allowing you to drive it all year round in any weather.

Not only can it outdrag all of the cars you've mentioned in dry conditions, but it can repeat such results in the rain and the snow, that's worth at least 5 or 6k to me right there. Combine that with its relative exclusivity and you've got a deal.

On a track it beats up all of its direct competition and takes their lunch money. It has a beautiful interior and a well engineered powerplant, and is likely more reliable than its BMW and Merc competitors.

Back to the 335i, its not an M model, its just a standard Beemer. The fact that its as fast as cars that stickered for 11k more and, when "slightly" tuned it will rip their doors off speaks volumes about how serious the performance game is getting.

Honestly think next time before you go off half-c0cked about cars you know very little about. You might drive fast, but your brain seems a tad laggy.
yes but traditionally they used to outperform the competition by a large margin also thereby justifying its high price (i.e. B5 RS4 avant). Now, they do not, so they are overpriced.

i think you're the one with the laggy brain.

you wanna try again?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Now this has been enjoyable.

We should have a highlighted section for threads like this.

E

Old 09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Wow, you should really read something.

Originally Posted by IdriveFast
yes but traditionally they used to outperform the competition by a large margin also thereby justifying its high price (i.e. B5 RS4 avant). Now, they do not, so they are overpriced.

i think you're the one with the laggy brain.

you wanna try again?
First of all, if cars were priced solely relative to how their performance compared to other cars, than Ferrari F430's would be cheaper than Z06's. That was a completely ignorant comment and failed to address anything I said in my first post.

Traditionally they used to?? This is the SECOND generation of RS4 ever released! Not much of a tradition chief.

Not to mention the new one's engine outperforms the old one's by 40 hp and does so without the aid of turbo's. Its Direct Injection 4.2 liter engine makes 100hp/liter out of an NA package, which in and of itself is a performance benchmark. Specific output of a C55 is 67.03 hp/liter just for reference.

What do you mean by "Large Margin" anyway? Who was the competition for the old RS4? Be specific.

Also, how can you possibly say "Now they do not" when the competition isn't even out?? The C63 hasn't been released yet, only rumors abound, and the next-gen M3 is said to have 20 ponies LESS than the RS4 and is going to be priced in a very similar manner according to all sources.

You wanna try again?

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 09-13-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 PM

C32 K AMG 03/2002
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Traditionally they used to?? This is the SECOND generation of RS4 ever released! Not much of a tradition chief.

Not to mention the new one's engine outperforms the old one's by 40 hp and does so without the aid of turbo's. Its Direct Injection 4.2 liter engine makes 100hp/liter out of an NA package, which in and of itself is a performance benchmark. Specific output of a C55 is 67.03 hp/liter just for reference.

What do you mean by "Large Margin" anyway? Who was the competition for the old RS4? Be specific.

Also, how can you possibly say "Now they do not" when the competition isn't even out?? The C63 hasn't been released yet, only rumors abound, and the next-gen M3 is said to have 20 ponies LESS than the RS4 and is going to be priced in a very similar manner according to all sources.

You wanna try again?
///M3 E92 is going to swallow both current RS4 and future C63 for good.
BMW's move to V8 for 3 series is going to become a legend
Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn.. I think I should pulled the trigger on the 335i and wait on the mods. However I can easily mod the E to get into high 11's and I need the additional space.

These numbers mirror the C32 and you can get a manual transmission. 50/50 weight and the exterior look perfectly good to me.

================================================== =======

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...i_dyno_revised/

Dynoed a different 335 again.

few weeks ago, we got a surprise visit from the new BMW 335i coupe, one of the hottest cars of the year. We’d been quivering in anticipation for the 335i not because it’s a 3-series--although that pedigree doesn’t hurt--but because the mind-meltingly fast two-door offers BMW’s first turbocharged gasoline engine ever to be sold in the States.

With this in mind, we just had to take the new coupe to the dyno and see exactly how much power its twin-turbo powerplant puts to the ground. The results? 275 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels--more than we expected. Rated by the Bimmer boys at 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, it was pretty clear to us that the Bavarian masterpiece was a little underrated from the factory.

In the weeks since we first published the results of that test, we’ve heard some criticism of our conclusion that the 335i makes "closer to 350 hp" than the reported 300. We arrived at that verdict after some quick calculations, but since a chassis dyno only reports how many horses make it to the wheels, it’s admittedly a hard number to verify. We did four runs with that particular car, and the actual peaks were 276, 280, 280, and 283 horsepower. We published the lowest number to be sure there was no claim that we were exaggerating the engine’s output.

But what if this was a one-time fluke? What if that first 335i was a particularly strong example? Or--gasp--a ringer! The answer to that question appeared in the form of another 335i (this time painted space gray metallic) that BMW dropped off last week. Again, without hesitation, we grabbed the keys and headed for the dyno shop.

2007 BMW 335i Coupe Rear Corner
On the way, we were pleased to find intact the awesome midrange torque and incredible straight-six soundtrack. Reacquainting ourselves with the gauges, we noticed that, as with the original tester, the oil temperature stabilized at 240 degrees Fahrenheit while cruising in sixth gear at 80 mph. Lesser engines would melt at those temperatures!

Temperature? Wait! A quick look at the outside temperature display showed that it was only 78 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The last time we put a 335i on the rollers, it was 92. Everybody knows that engines make more power when they get cooler air--and that turbocharged engines are particularly susceptible to heat soak. We stopped worrying and started getting excited. This one might do even better.

We strapped the 335i down, started it up, and did three runs back to back to back. The results were very consistent, showing peaks of 285 hp, then 282 hp, and, finally, 287 hp. This 335i was even stronger at the top end than the last one, but not as strong in the midrange. Peak torque was stable through all three runs at about 285 lb-ft.

After the final run, we decided to grab audio of the 335i running from first gear through fourth. We expected to have the hairs on the back of our neck stand up at the sound of the 3.0-liter engine at full throat, but what we didn’t expect, of course, was a peak hp number nudging the 300-hp mark. That’s right--shortly after the shift into fourth, this second 335i peaked briefly at 299.93 hp.

Looking closely at the chart, there’s a likely explanation for that outrageous number. No, it wasn’t additional torque from a rough shift--the peak occurred too long after the gear change. Like most turbocharged cars, the computer allows a momentary spike of boost before stabilizing it at a prescribed level. We lucked out, as that spike happened right at the engine’s inherent power peak, so we got a little nudge in the final number. Whether the dyno numbers ultimately translate into 300 hp, 350 hp, or 327.543-to-the-fifth-power-hp, the results speak for themselves: this is one very powerful engine.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by jgsx
So what? Add pulley (raise the boost) and an ecu on the C32 and there are huge gains there too. the magic of forced induction

Exactly. At the end of the day, stock vs stock= C32/C55/M3 > 335i.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:04 PM

C32 K AMG 03/2002
this upcoming beast sounds truly menacing........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zon72ScdhRw
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 PM

gl450
Resale values

One thing for sure, the 335i will not take the depreciation hit that the C55s have taken. Go look at the list on autotrader. Some private sale 06s going for under $40K with low miles. Auctions now have the 2005 C55 at $30-$33/ wholesale with 10-15K miles. 50% hit within 2 years, crazy!!!!!!!!!!

I am in process of selling mine, at this point my dealer would do a trade in for $35K, might take him up on it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:16 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
Exactly. At the end of the day, stock vs stock= C32/C55/M3 > 335i.
that sums it up.

gonna wait till they put that engine in the E60 5-series. It's gonna be the best bang for the buck luxury sport sedan. The luxury of the 5 and the sportyness of a willing turbo engine. That may be my next car...or a used e55.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:20 PM

gl450
Hot

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...7990032-1.html
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Its beautiful! Bangle must have been on vacation when they signed off on that design.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:26 PM

2005 S4
wow that looks awesome! I really want one of these 335i's
Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can't wait to see my friend's 335i dropped on KW's and Volk wheels.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:31 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Can't wait to see my friend's 335i dropped on KW's and Volk wheels.

which Volks? TE37 or CE28?

my dad's friend's kid's going to get a 335i as well later on in the year to avoid the early production cars.

for all those thinking about 335i...words of advice: do not buy the first half of the year model of the first year car. My 2000 328Ci was an early car from October 99...it was simply with problems within the first year.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-13-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW

my dad's friend's kid's going to get a 335i as well later on in the year to avoid the early production cars.

for all those thinking about 335i...words of advice: do not buy the first half of the year model of the first year car. My 2000 328Ci was an early car from October 99...it was simply with problems within the first year.
I'm not sure what wheels but I believe they're going to be mesh design similar to the LM's. I'm guessing VS-XX?

No biggie about the problems. We're good friends with two BMW techs down here. That's why I was kind of hesitant to venture away from BMW at first. It's nice having someone you trust working on your car.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I'm not sure what wheels but I believe they're going to be mesh design similar to the LM's. I'm guessing VS-XX?

No biggie about the problems. We're good friends with two BMW techs down here. That's why I was kind of hesitant to venture away from BMW at first. It's nice having someone you trust working on your car.
yea, that's the Work VS-XX.

definitely nice that someone you trust is working on the car.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
dyet the RS4 is also only a few tenths faster than the m3, like the c55 is, and its in an entirely different league than the m3/c32/c55??
if you guys wanna magazine race then you can refer to car and driver
I don't get it, by comparing tenths, aren't you magazine racing? And the basis of your argument seems to be that they are comparable because they are a few tenths apart in straight line performance. There is a lot more to it than straight line performance and clearly you don't understand that. Stock vs stock vs stock, the RS4 is faster straight line and on a track, handles better, brakes better, is AWD, better quality of materials, better fit and finish, etc.

The V8 M3 and C63 will likely be closer or even better than the RS4 and we don't know the pricing of these yet. If they come out being as good as the RS4 and cost less, then you are correct that the RS4 is overpriced but we'll have to wait and see. At the moment the RS4 is a better car and therefore it is not unreasonable for it to cost more.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Steve L, you are right on the money with your post. That sums everything up about the B7 RS4 nicely.

In fact, amongst the rubbish, there have been a lot of intelligent posts.

On the matter of Audi being a glorified VW, clap clap. That is an odd thing to say when the current Audi and VW models have next to nothing to do with each other and many other car makers are owned by the same companies. It would be ridiculous to call an AMG a glorified Chrysler for instance.

AMG is not inherently superior to other official tuners, but it is just different. I for one find it hard make a case for which is better. To be very broad, M makes the sportiest engines, Audi's go best in adverse conditions while AMG makes cars with straightline speed that is hard to match. Of course, there are many other factors, a few being the respective image of the vehicles, options available and personal preference.

From the C32/55 to the M3 to the S/RS4 and even the new breed like the 335i, there is very little between them. Just be happy to drive what you have chosen and give credit where it's due to those who have made a different choice.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yea, that's the Work VS-XX.

Argh, I can't remember what model of Volks but I know he said Volks. It could be the GT-U's but it has a similar pattern to the old Volk III's.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM

2003 C32 AMG BLACK
the next m3 looks really nice...

that new M3 looks really promising, if my career doesn't get any better in the next 2-3 years, I might pick one up.... otherwise it'll be cls63 all the way. :-)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 PM

Audi S4 Avant and BMW X5 4.4
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
That would still be your VW-driving self.

I know my AMG is superior and "what not"

PS:

and:

lol...."superior" in what? certainly not in a straight line......and certainly not in handling nor braking...LOL. But if you say so.......here's a

just for you

PS. Have fun in your superior "Glorified Chrysler"

Last edited by EvilllEmpirE; 09-13-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
On the matter of Audi being a glorified VW, clap clap. That is an odd thing to say when the current Audi and VW models have next to nothing to do with each other and many other car makers are owned by the same companies. It would be ridiculous to call an AMG a glorified Chrysler for instance.
"Glorified Chrysler".......LMAO!!! thats the best thing i've heard yet VW also own Lambo......so i guess we must start calling a Gallardo or Murcielago an Overpriced VW then? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight........... .................................

Oh...don't mind "Idrivefast"....some are just too ignorant for their own good

Last edited by EvilllEmpirE; 09-13-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 PM

Volk LE-37s would be perfectly hawttt on a White 335CI

Frank........i think you should get the 335Ci!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 335i a threat to C55 ?