C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

resonators and cats.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resonators and cats.

hi, i have a question for you guys,,

if i delete the cats and the resonator from my c32 do i gain any power?

for you who deleted the resonator... easyies way to do it?

... hope you guys understand my bad eng. im from sweden.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
I'm not and expert here, but I believe you will gain no power from removing the resonator. If you do it would be like 1-3hp tops. If you remove the cats you should gain some good power something like 25hp, but I don't know swedens law on removing them. I'm just guessing hear though so don't take my word as fact.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:14 PM

... ok thx for the info..

in sweden its illegal to drive without cats....

..oh 25hp is much... is there anyone who have done it?

pics and tips are welcome
Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I wouldn't do it myself. Take it a local muffler shop and let them do it for you.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 AM

02' C32 AMG
Removed the resonator and gutted the 2nd cats from the exhaust manifold. Slight drone at 2500 RPM. Exhaust sound still within limits. Noticable power gains in higher Gears. No check Engine Light since the second cats are placed behind the O2 Sensors. I really doubt it is more than 5-10 RWHP

Last edited by cobraq8; 09-19-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
When I took mine to the local muffler shop to get the resonator removed I asked about getting the cats removed. He looked and said my rear cats were already removed and it looked to him like there were some other "parts" removed from the exhaust. He wasn't exactly sure what the AMG was supposed to look like from the factory, and I had never been under the car and have no idea what the previous owner had done to my car. Anyway, I wanted him to remove the 2 front cats then, but he said he couldn't do that without me adding some new sensors for the computer. I knew the word a minute ago...having a brain fart on what it was he said was needed. Anyway, I didn't want to jack with the computer at this point, so he just removed what he could and made it pretty much free flowing from the front cats back.
I feel no real difference though at times I "think" its lost some on the low end and gained on top rpm range. Most likely all in my head. It does sound different. I dont like the sound below 3k...too ricey. Above 3k though it sounds great! In the end it was worth the $80 to get it done. I would think this and intake/green filters would be a decent gain. More in, more out...
Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
what about replacing the first two cats with some higher flowing ones? Does anyone know thw cell count for our stock cats?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by p rossi
what about replacing the first two cats with some higher flowing ones? Does anyone know thw cell count for our stock cats?
I believe I read in this forum they are 400 cell counts (4X400). Some guy replaced his with just 2 100 cell counts cats (2X100). Search the forum and you will see his post.
I believe silverbullet did loss some low end torque but made more high end power. I added the whole Kleemann package( header & high flow cat, & boost kit) to my 2005 C230 Kompressor and loss some low end torque. The loss was do to the high flow cat. I miss that 0-60, so i understand where silverbullet is coming from.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by pugguy2001
I believe I read in this forum they are 400 cell counts (4X400). Some guy replaced his with just 2 100 cell counts cats (2X100). Search the forum and you will see his post.
I believe silverbullet did loss some low end torque but made more high end power. I added the whole Kleemann package( header & high flow cat, & boost kit) to my 2005 C230 Kompressor and loss some low end torque. The loss was do to the high flow cat. I miss that 0-60, so i understand where silverbullet is coming from.
The front cats are "free flowing", but I have no clue what the cell count was. It was whatever I could run w/o needing to worry about the computer freakin out. Resonator and cats replaced is worth it on sound alone though. I wish I had access to a closer dyno so I could run before and after just to see exactly what it did/didnt do. Seat-o-da-pants dyno gives mixed results.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
The front cats are "free flowing", but I have no clue what the cell count was. It was whatever I could run w/o needing to worry about the computer freakin out. Resonator and cats replaced is worth it on sound alone though. I wish I had access to a closer dyno so I could run before and after just to see exactly what it did/didnt do. Seat-o-da-pants dyno gives mixed results.
I recently had a dyno after the kleemann header and high flow cat was installed and it was over 20hp and 20 torque increase. I wish I had done a dyno before the Kleemann stuff was added. Like you said the butt dyno only knows what it thinks it feels. The dyno machine can tell you the facts. Either way I was told the torque band was going to move from 1750- 2250 with this set up, but it quickly makes up for it, because the car just flows. it wants to just go and go. There is no restrictions anymore.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by p rossi
Does anyone know thw cell count for our stock cats?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I just called the guy that did my exhaust work for a little more info. He said he replaced my front cats with a Magnaflow 9415 on either side. I am stopping by this afternoon for a few other things and will find out the cell count of those then. He said I could just run straight pipe if I was to add "SIMS" to prevent all the warning lights from going off. That was the word I was trying to think of yesterday...
The 2 Magnaflows plus labor was $220 out the door. The resonator delete and rear small cat removal was $80.
This was from Top Gun Muffler in Biloxi, MS. Great guys!!