C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Main Engine Computer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main Engine Computer

Here's my wonderful story.

I took my C32 to the stealership yesterday to get the windshield replaced and to have them take a look at the check engine light. I thought I was having trouble with the intercooler.

After doing the relay "campaign" I guess they had to flash the main engine computer. They got about 1/3 of the way done and it wouldn't go any further. Now the car can't start and they say I need a new main engine computer $2K. They're saying the engine was throwing off error codes for the main computer.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? They were thinking that I had flashed the computer with performance enhancing software. I got the car second hand, but I'm pretty sure there's no performance enhancing software.

I asked if this would solve the check engine light issue and they said for sure it would. How do they know? It still seems to me there could be an intercooler issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
maybe they just fried your main engine computer and are now handing you a burning bag of dog turd with a note that says, "here, you pay for this..."

i'd go on a killing spree if they didn't have some very detailed explanations, etc. why that happened (other than blaming it on you, the victim), and a highly accommodative attitude to boot.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
thats BS they fried your computer when they flashed it tell them to fix it
Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed!!!!! that is total BS!!!!! please do not bend over and take that from the dealership!!!! i hope that you will jump all over them for this...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 AM

You know it seemed like BS to me too. That's why I thought I'd run it by you guys to see what you thought.

They said it was throwing off main computer error codes, so I told them I want to see it. I told them they fried the computer when re-flashing it. I told them to prove they didn't fry it.

What bothers me the most is the check engine light was the only symptom of the supposed main computer problem. That doesn't make sense. I think I would have seen more definite issues if the main computer was faulty. I need more help, anything you guys can offer to help me get to the bottom of this would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Happy Ending - Fingers Crossed

Guess what. I just received a call from the shop foreman at the stealership. He was working on my car for 3 hours this morning and was on the phone with Mercedes. They figured out the software they flashed created a bug in the main computer. This was after my phone call and email complaining they fried my ECU.

They went back to a previous version of the software and magically the car is back to working order. The check engine light is off, they're putting everything back together, they're going to wash it and I should have it back at lunch time (West Coast).

So, the faulty computer isn't so faulty. They ran into a problem and couldn't solve it so they said the computer was bad and that I needed to purchase a new one. UnF'ing believable.

You guys saved me, I probably wouldn't have complained if it wasn't for you. If you're ever in the bay area, drinks are on me! Trekman is, so if you want to p/m me I'd like to get together and check out your ride. I think I may have seen you getting on to 880 once - unless there's yet another silver C32 in the SF Bay Area.

Peace to all and to all a good night!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Last one - per Trekman's advice I did go out and buy an OBDII scanner. I let the dealer know I scanned the car before bringing it in to them and there were no main engine computer error codes. I'm not so dumb as I look - LOL
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by childzplay
Guess what. I just received a call from the shop foreman at the stealership. He was working on my car for 3 hours this morning and was on the phone with Mercedes. They figured out the software they flashed created a bug in the main computer. This was after my phone call and email complaining they fried my ECU.

They went back to a previous version of the software and magically the car is back to working order. The check engine light is off, they're putting everything back together, they're going to wash it and I should have it back at lunch time (West Coast).

So, the faulty computer isn't so faulty. They ran into a problem and couldn't solve it so they said the computer was bad and that I needed to purchase a new one. UnF'ing believable.

You guys saved me, I probably wouldn't have complained if it wasn't for you.

If you're ever in the bay area, drinks are on me! Trekman is, so if you want to p/m me I'd like to get together and check out your ride. I think I may have seen you getting on to 880 once - unless there's yet another silver C32 in the SF Bay Area.

Peace to all and to all a good night!

Great that it got fixed man
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Many dealers I have dealt with do not plug in a regulated power supply to the battery when flashing the ME module. During the flashing process, the fan runs at high speed causing the battery to drain quickly. Flashing the ME module can take 15 minutes. The voltage has to stay constant. If the voltage dips or spikes, it can cause havoc when flashing modules. I am sure this is what happened and lucky they could recover the module. Either way, it would not have been your fault and you should not have been held responsible if it did not work out.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by sunman
Many dealers I have dealt with do not plug in a regulated power supply to the battery when flashing the ME module. During the flashing process, the fan runs at high speed causing the battery to drain quickly. Flashing the ME module can take 15 minutes. The voltage has to stay constant. If the voltage dips or spikes, it can cause havoc when flashing modules. I am sure this is what happened and lucky they could recover the module. Either way, it would not have been your fault and you should not have been held responsible if it did not work out.
sunman knows his stuff
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
good job! what dealership did you go to if you dont mind me asking you? I have one close to me but they charge 20% more than the other dealership thats 20 min away from me
Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 PM

I agree, Sunman defnitely knows his stuff!

Trekman, I went to Beshoff's in San Jose. The reason I went there was because they were by far the lowest to replace my windshield. Best Buy cracked my windshield when I got Sirius installed.

Mercedes of Pleasanton wanted $1300+ to replace the windshield. Fremont wanted $1100, Smythe wanted $800, and Beshoff did it for a little under $700. Luckily Best Buy's insurance provider paid for it.

While I was there I got my fuel filter replaced. $279 for that + installation. I feel a bit a$$ raped on that one, but oh well.

I got my car back today and it runs like a champ! It's nice to have the performance back, it was sadly missed.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

fuel filter costs $30...doing it yourself=priceless
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
fuel filter costs $30...doing it yourself=priceless
and not being a$$ raped=uber priceless
Old 12-06-2006, 07:52 PM

One way or another - I'm so sick of stealerships. That's my own lazy fault for not doing my own fuel filter. I've always done them on past cars. I should have asked what the price was.