C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

S281 vs C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 and 2009 Audi S5
S281 vs C32

Just had one of the most evenly matched roll-on sprints I've ever had. I assume it was the standard model and not the SC. He probably had a mod or two, mine is dead stock and has never been dynoed. I was at half a tank of gas and solo while he had a kid as a passenger, maybe 150lbs. or so.

Have any of you had runs with the 281? We were locked in side by side on a long stretch of road and absolutely nose to nose, though I got the feeling I would've slowly started to pull beyond 110 or so. I never looked at the speedo but gauged it on how long we were on wot. There were no other cars around and there was a slight grade.

I could really hear the whine from his blower. In fact that's practically all I heard.

When we came to a light I gave a big thumbs up and locked eyes with the passenger, a big smile on my face.

I got this cold stare of fear, loathing and insecurity and then they turned away to stare straight ahead.

Must have been a bit upset that my luxury sedan with its mild-mannered looks kept up with his flared, bespoilered all white with white wheels look-at-me-mobile.

In looking at their specs, at least for 2005, they're a bit down on power compared to the C32. I thought it was going to kick my ***. Makes me proud of the numbers this car produces. Some day I'll make it a handler too, but for now, I'll take the straights.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:39 PM

97 e420
Originally Posted by ralleyone
Just had one of the most evenly matched roll-on sprints I've ever had. I assume it was the standard model and not the SC. He probably had a mod or two, mine is dead stock and has never been dynoed. I was at half a tank of gas and solo while he had a kid as a passenger, maybe 150lbs. or so.

Have any of you had runs with the 281? We were locked in side by side on a long stretch of road and absolutely nose to nose, though I got the feeling I would've slowly started to pull beyond 110 or so. I never looked at the speedo but gauged it on how long we were on wot. There were no other cars around and there was a slight grade.

I could really hear the whine from his blower. In fact that's practically all I heard.

When we came to a light I gave a big thumbs up and locked eyes with the passenger, a big smile on my face.

I got this cold stare of fear, loathing and insecurity and then they turned away to stare straight ahead.

Must have been a bit upset that my luxury sedan with its mild-mannered looks kept up with his flared, bespoilered all white with white wheels look-at-me-mobile.

In looking at their specs, at least for 2005, they're a bit down on power compared to the C32. I thought it was going to kick my ***. Makes me proud of the numbers this car produces. Some day I'll make it a handler too, but for now, I'll take the straights.
whats an s281?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 PM

97 e420
oh is it the saleen mustang?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
That's a good story man!
Just before x-mas, I saw some dude doing donuts in the VA hospital parking lot with what looked to be a riced mustang. I went over to him and talked to him and he had the S281 SC. he said he had about 400hp so I didn't challenge him! That car was loud as hell though!
You must have raced the regular S281 (makes about 20hp less than the C32) - interesting that you heard a blower whine though - you sure it wasn't yours??!!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG

My neighbor has a yellow S281 with an exhaust and intake. I raced him from a roll a pulled AT LEAST a car or two...It was the non-supercharged one. I don't know the exact hp or tq numbers on those cars, but i think he said (and this was 6 or so months ago, so my memory isnt the greatest) the hp is somewhere between 340 and 350 or so.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM

SLK32

Ok, let me get this straight. You are sure that it was the "standard model not the SC" but you could really hear the whine of his blower?

Am I missing something here?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

C320
Yea... there is no blower on a standard S281.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by 430
Ok, let me get this straight. You are sure that it was the "standard model not the SC" but you could really hear the whine of his blower?

Am I missing something here?
my thoughts exactly.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Duh. I don't follow the mustangs much and just assumed all of the saleen's were blown. I thought the SC was simply a sport designation with a better blower setup.

Now that brings a smile to my face. If that has 400HP then I am just happy that I stayed with him. No wonder he was pissed.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

C320
More than likely you were racing a standard S281 or he wasn't trying. The standard S281 has 335hp while the SC model has 465.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM

We've already established it was an S281SC because of the supercharger whine, which was incredibly loud.

He was definitely giving it what he had unless he was able to perfectly modulate the throttle to stay dead even up beyond 100 mph. He then chose not to show me who was faster. On a short run I could believe it, but for such a long run, do you really think he just didn't want to give it all he had?

No, I think having an extra passenger made a big difference. Perhaps the guys were bigger and heavier than I thought.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM

2006 CLS55
I made the change from an 01 Saleen, and they aren't exactly set up for racing in a straight line, more of a track car. Depending on the year, the HP will range from 360+(SC), but they are easy/cheap as hell to mod!! I put twin turbos, forged block, heads, cams, tranny,rear end, fuel system,ect... for $12k. I love my C32 but I miss the looks you get in the Saleen
Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
When I was searching for a GT500, one of the Ford dealerships wanted me to get the "extreme" version of the S281 instead!

At least we are sure that it wasn't that version. I got a huge tutorial of the performance of that thing...and I doubt Iany C32/55 can hang with that!

Unfortunately, they would have had to order it so I couldn't test drive that beast.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:45 PM

06 C55
Have you guys looked at the curb weight on those things? I was looking at the new Shelby and it was within a Big Gulp of being four thousand pounds. The C32 is only 3300 pounds.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:00 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by viper501
Have you guys looked at the curb weight on those things? I was looking at the new Shelby and it was within a Big Gulp of being four thousand pounds. The C32 is only 3300 pounds.
correction... 3580 lbs.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
The S281 is A LOT lighter than the GT500. The Shelby uses an iron block truck engine! I think the Saleen is about 200-300lbs lighter.

Also, the C32/55 are kinda porky also.