C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32- Gone Bad and its time dump.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C32- Gone Bad and its time dump.

Right now my C32's kompressor clutch is faulty and I'm having big issues.

They wanted to replace the magnetic clutch assemby since the bearings are going bad and I loose my kompressor every time I drive it. I know its not the IC pump, since I replaced 6 months ago.

The kompressor pulley is making grinding noises and I know that part is easy to fix. But I'm not sure if the clutch needs replacement.

The Stealer Dealer quoted me $1500 to fix the kompressor on top of $690 to diagnose the car.

So yesterday I picked up my car from Penske Motor Cars West Covina and I paid $690 to dianose a faulty kompressor and low battery. But I got a $5 dollar car wash for free and free coffee and donuts.

That has been the most expensive car wash and coffe and donuts in my life.

the only reason I took it in, was for a "check engine light" concern. Which turned out to be my air box not sealed property.

=====================================

By the way I had major issues with my aftermarket ODPS and they are off the car. I won't say what what happended, but definately it was a malfunction. (I told Evosport I would not make an issue about it since I bought the kit used)

I took it back to the tuner and they put together a reasonable offer, but at this point I'm not going to dump any more money in the car.

So I'm back to my stock ODPS and the car is just not as fun as before.

==========================================

The sprint booster must be giving error codes, since they wanted to change my accelerator wires and other items for another $1500.

In all.. they quoted me over $3k to fix 2 items.

I have a bent wheel.. due to a flat tire (I let my sister in law borrow the car and she blew out a rear tire on the freeway.)

I need to replace my fog lens

and my aftermarket wires suck! 2 of them keep coming loose and makes the car very jerky.

I won't even mention all the things bad with the E55, but here are a few...

IC pump, 1st and 2nd jerky shifting, leaking power steering fluid, kompressor chirp and jerk.. TPMS error, rear partronic not working, active seats not working all the time

I'm beginning to see the end to my AMG run. It has been 3 great years but MB needs to step to its reliability and quality.

Its nice to have 2 used AMG's in the garage, but people don't image all the head aches they provide. I now see why people buy Camry's and Accord instead of a MB.

sorry for the frustration gentlemen..
Old 01-20-2007, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Damn man.. that sucks.. When I first got my car I had some problems, but its been over 10k miles since anything big.. just past 101k miles and my warranty just expired.. Hoping for the best as I am planning on going stage 2..

Hope the E treats you better..
Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossfire SRT-6
eh it happens just think of it as u got in an unlucky batch.. aslo if u don't mind me asking did you have the dampened or the solid pulley kit from evosport?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by TopGun32
Right now my C32's kompressor clutch is faulty and I'm having big issues.

They wanted to replace the magnetic clutch assemby since the bearings are going bad and I loose my kompressor every time I drive it. I know its not the IC pump, since I replaced 6 months ago.

The kompressor pulley is making grinding noises and I know that part is easy to fix. But I'm not sure if the clutch needs replacement.

The Stealer Dealer quoted me $1500 to fix the kompressor on top of $690 to diagnose the car.

So yesterday I picked up my car from Penske Motor Cars West Covina and I paid $690 to dianose a faulty kompressor and low battery. But I got a $5 dollar car wash for free and free coffee and donuts.

That has been the most expensive car wash and coffe and donuts in my life.

the only reason I took it in, was for a "check engine light" concern. Which turned out to be my air box not sealed property.

=====================================

By the way I had major issues with my aftermarket ODPS and they are off the car. I won't say what what happended, but definately it was a malfunction. (I told Evosport I would not make an issue about it since I bought the kit used)

I took it back to the tuner and they put together a reasonable offer, but at this point I'm not going to dump any more money in the car.

So I'm back to my stock ODPS and the car is just not as fun as before.

The sprint booster must be giving error codes, since they wanted to change my accelerator wires and other items for another $1500.

In all.. they quoted me over $3k to fix 2 items.

I have a bent wheel.. due to a flat tire (I let my sister in law borrow the car and she blew out a rear tire on the freeway.)

I need to replace my fog lens

and my aftermarket wires suck! 2 of them keep coming loose and makes the car very jerky.

I won't even mention all the things bad with the E55, but here are a few...

IC pump, 1st and 2nd jerky shifting, leaking power steering fluid, kompressor chirp and jerk.. TPMS error, rear partronic not working, active seats not working all the time

I'm beginning to see the end to my AMG run. It has been 3 great years but MB needs to step to its reliability and quality.

Its nice to have 2 used AMG's in the garage, but people don't image all the head aches they provide. I now see why people buy Camry's and Accord instead of a MB.

sorry for the frustration gentlemen..
wow what can i say. the quality issue is a problem for me to! if you look it up you can read a thread i started with warranty work done and guess what its in the shop again for a engine light. i really like more and more the lexus ls-f or is500 and being a toyota you know the quality is there. i like what MB represents but hey my last two lexus's never where in the shop for any warranty issue.............performance is nice but as i am aging quality is better which means more money in the bank.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
First of all I'm really sorry to hear about all these problems your having with your AMGs...

It is not a big secret that MB quality and reliability were down through the last 10 years or so, but I read this article in 2003 stating that MB is realizing the growing problem and was planning to sacrifice 5 billion dollars of profit over 10 years period to step up their product quality and customer satisfaction. I think this is a giant step forward especially when a big company like MB admits publicly that it is willing to take 5 billion dollars of profit and pour it in quality improvement areas of its products! So we should definately see a big improvement in the next few years in AMGs and MB vehicles in general. In the mean time, you MUST keep your vehicle under some kind of warranty, otherwise, it is financial suicide...

Good luck...
Old 01-20-2007, 08:34 PM
SPONSOR

topgun, sorry about the problems....hopefully you get them worked out.

since you are dealing the the front part of the supercharger, would you please get a part number from the dealer for me and send me a PM, i may be able to save you some money on that part...i know people
Old 01-21-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Sorry about the problems on your cars. I hope you get it fixed and running like it should. I guess the last thing I will do is overdrive the supercharger on my C32 motor with the ASP pulley. I want power without the headaches of the kompressor going bad.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:50 AM

2016 C300
that's why i sold my C32 2 months before warranty expires.........i wont keep a MB without factory warranty
Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
+1 - I guess I have been lucky for once.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 AM
SPONSOR

Kompressor problems

hey, just wanted to let you know that i will buy the front part that is damaged off of your old kompressor(pulley and front cover for the supercharger)...i want to see what a damaged one looks like and see what i can do about strengthening the clutch system...let me know if you want to sell it cheap...

thanks,
erick
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 AM

not stock.
crazy.... i would never bay $700 to diagnose..
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by OJwerks
crazy.... i would never bay $700 to diagnose..
i am sure he did not know how much it would cost him...he just put it in the shop for the check engine light...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:17 AM

2k1 c320, 2k5 wrangler, cbr 929
why dont people get one of those scanners from ebay, diagnose it yourself and and replace the parts yourself since most of the problems is due to sensors. mbworld members are very helpful.

MBWorld
btw, (knock on wood) 2k1 c320 no major problem so far with 105k miles
Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 AM

2k1 c320, 2k5 wrangler, cbr 929
also autozone does free check engine light diagnostic; do they do it for MB also?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by bloodyhands
also autozone does free check engine light diagnostic; do they do it for MB also?
yes, they did for anyone with an OBDII port...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:55 AM

MB C32 AMG
Lucky! I paid $2900 for the SC to be replaced due to the noise from the SC clutch and that was with giving them the core otherwise it would have been like $4500
Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
This posting is REQUIRE READING for someone heading down the road of aftermarket modifications. In most cases, you have no problems. But every once in a while, you end up like this. It's a compounding problem because in addition to the initial glitch (which may or may not be the result of the modification), your mods make the car difficult to diagnose since it doesn't match the dealer's expectations.

I'm all for bigger HP, but you need to see the risks. Worst of all is the time and mental energy that get sucked out of you. I lived this with my Audi A6 and that's why I'm keeping my C32 stock. Except for maybe a LSD, and springs. I sold my A6 and moved on. Sometimes you just lose all confidence in the car and it's time to make it someone else's headache.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 01-22-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
TopGun32,

Sorry to here about these problems and hope everything works out. One thing I was wondering is how many miles are on your C32? I would like to find out what the average life expectancy of these superchargers are....
Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by wawy
TopGun32,

Sorry to here about these problems and hope everything works out. One thing I was wondering is how many miles are on your C32? I would like to find out what the average life expectancy of these superchargers are....
Back when I had turbos, the saying was that "Turbos are like light bulbs. Their life span is perpetual, until they fail."

But a supercharger should have a much longer average life. It's basically a big fan.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Back when I had turbos, the saying was that "Turbos are like light bulbs. Their life span is perpetual, until they fail."

But a supercharger should have a much longer average life. It's basically a big fan.
That fan has a max life of 150k miles according to AMG. They say to replace it at that point. The part itself is not THAT expensive... maybe 2k but its the labor that will get most people.

If you want forced induction you have to deal with the cooling issues and the failing "big fans" whichever type of fan it may be.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
I just started getting the grinding noise from what I believe is the clutch on my SC. Is there anything that can be done to correct this, or is the SC starting to fail?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
SPONSOR

my supercharger has been grinding for 20,000miles, still going strong...(crosses fingers)
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM

MB C32 AMG
Originally Posted by chyates
I just started getting the grinding noise from what I believe is the clutch on my SC. Is there anything that can be done to correct this, or is the SC starting to fail?
If you have warranty, replace it! I replaced mine a little over 55.000 miles. The labor won't be bad since it should take no more then 5 hrs (my total for labor was $400) . Also, don't forget to replace your pullies (not all of them) & belt.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

C32
I am out of my SM extended warranty. I have 76K miles and counting. If it just noise, I can live with it.

I was getting some squeaking noise from the pullies, but sprayed some silicone spray on them and haven't had any issues since.

Any idea how much the SC is to replace when it goes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C32- Gone Bad and its time dump.