AMG Style IV Alloys - Colour Match ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC250d AMG Line
AMG Style IV Alloys - Colour Match ??

Guys,

Two months after getting my car , my wife (honest) scored an alloy on a kerb. The wheels not too bad, its taken the paint off at the edge of the rim and a 1/2" mark on one spoke, but its not gouged the alloy

Does anyone know of any paint that is a close colour match to the original finish? Even if it's from another manufacturer, I can get a touch up pen set.

MB wanted to do all four wheels, as they stated they couldn't guarantee a match. I don't need all four wheels done, as they're in good condition.

Any ideas anyone

Thanks

Alan McLean
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Never found any body to match with paint alone.

Have your wheels definitely got the original finish? If not then this won't apply, but if they are original it will.

IIRC the paint is lazer finished and it's this that gives it the "not only painted" sheen. An article in Mercedes Enthusiast magazine suggested only Pristine Alloy Wheels can replicate the exact finish, and do so for MBUK. I can't be sure but I seem to recall they were near Milton Keynes or Northampton.

Googled it and come up with http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

I can't guarantee this is the same business, nor that they will finish it as you want, but I would suggest it's definitely worth a call.

There don't appear to be any Pristine agents in Scotland so it's maybe best deal direct.

Let me know how you get on as I'd be interested in the results.

HTH
Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 PM

AMG Grocery Getter
i got one of my wheel refinished at one of the shops local in toronto so i am sure it can be done
Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Do you have those paintless dent removal place in the UK as well? Often times they do alloy rim repair as well. It's pretty cheap here, about 50-75 USD per rim.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Yeah, paintless dents, and minor chip/scratch removal franchisees are prolific - but they can't match the colour from what I've read and heard. They just say "You'll never know mate" and they just use a tub marked "silver" pretty much. I learnt the hard way.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 PM

GLC250d AMG Line
Thanks for the link HTH.

I found someone in Glasgow who believes they can improve the appearance. The dealer is Auto Image - http://www.autoimage-online.co.uk/alloys.htm . He can't guarantee an exact match, but it will be a big improvement.

If you look at their website they show AMG alloys. The Style IV ones shown are a lot lighter in colour than mine. The photo looks silver, mine look metallic grey. Don't know if that means they have been painted.

I was planning to get the repair done this weekend, but my run about (Alfa Romeo 156 1.6) is giving me trouble, so I'll be focusing on that. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the repair done.

Thanks

Alan
Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 AM

Sounds like youre have been repainted already - maybe to look like the CL/SL/S65 wheels. Orginal is a very bright silver.

If you're not bother about the original finish, and like what's on there now, ask them to get as close to that as they can.

Good luck.

PS: "HTH" meant "Hope This Helps"
Old 02-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Obsidian E55
Originally Posted by AlanMcLean

I found someone in Glasgow who believes they can improve the appearance. The dealer is Auto Image - http://www.autoimage-online.co.uk/alloys.htm . He can't guarantee an exact match, but it will be a big improvement.

If you look at their website they show AMG alloys. The Style IV ones shown are a lot lighter in colour than mine. The photo looks silver, mine look metallic grey. Don't know if that means they have been painted.

I was planning to get the repair done this weekend, but my run about (Alfa Romeo 156 1.6) is giving me trouble, so I'll be focusing on that. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the repair done.

Thanks

Alan
Thanks for the link HTH...........

lol lol +++
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Yeah, paintless dents, and minor chip/scratch removal franchisees are prolific - but they can't match the colour from what I've read and heard. They just say "You'll never know mate" and they just use a tub marked "silver" pretty much. I learnt the hard way.
Usually, if your rims have the regular "silver" alloy paint finish, those places can match it up pretty good. My friend (Fleebee with an E55 wagon), had his rim repaired by one of those guys at the dealership here in Boston. It came out really good.

However, sounds like the OP's rims are painted in a different color so he'll probably have to go pay some pros a visit. I just had my rims straightened and the lips repolished and clear coated. I was happy with the outcome when they spin my wheels on the RoadFroce to show me how straight my wheels are now.