C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Correct Aftermarket Offset (TECH)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
C32 Correct Aftermarket Offset (TECH)

Hello, I currently have 19x8.5 front with 35mm offset, and 19x9.5 rear with 38mm offset wheels in hand which are to be going on my C32 mercedes. Now, the front rim doesnt fit unless I have at least a 7mm spacer. Being that noone makes a 7mm spacer, (only make 5mm and 10mm) would it be better to swap the rim with a 32mm offset wheel and use a 10mm spacer, or get a 37mm offset and use a 5mm spacer???

Also, once you have the answer to that question, what should I change the offset of the rear (currently have 38mm) so it will work best with the front wheels.

**I am trying to get the ratio as close to stock as possible front/rear combo**
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dealt with this on a set of wheels that i bought when i first purchased my C32...i would sell them and buy a set of wheels with the correct offset

that is what i did and would never run spacers on a street car with the lug bolt setup like mercedes has...it is just too unstable with this setup

i used to work at a tire shop and of the vehicles with spacers i saw a lot of damaged wheels, hubs and cars come in with people complaining that the wheels had either fallen off the car or that they would not stay tight or that they were having vibration problems while driving the car...

just my .02
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although a larger offset number than usual, these offsets should work fine with the front strut tube and clear the rear inside carpet. I will also assume that you will run 235/265's. Is your clearance problem with the brake caliper in front? If so, this is not directly an offset issue but a back space issue with the design of the spokes. The typical offset numbers for an 8.5" front is 30 to 32mm. The typical offset numbers for a 9.5" rear is 32 to 36mm. However, these offset numbers alone will not guarentee clearance from the brake caliper. Many wheels that fit the standard C class cars do not work on the C32 even though they are the same size and offset. This has to do with the larger larger diameter rotor and attachment of the caliper. RENNtech wheels work perfect!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i dealt with this on a set of wheels that i bought when i first purchased my C32...i would sell them and buy a set of wheels with the correct offset

that is what i did and would never run spacers on a street car with the lug bolt setup like mercedes has...it is just too unstable with this setup

i used to work at a tire shop and of the vehicles with spacers i saw a lot of damaged wheels, hubs and cars come in with people complaining that the wheels had either fallen off the car or that they would not stay tight or that they were having vibration problems while driving the car...

just my .02
Wheels falling off the car becaue of a spacer? Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes I am going to be running 235/265's...Me and a friend of mine calculated it, and the front offset has to be a 35mm with the 8-10mm spacer (hub centric of course), and the rear would be best to go with a 32-35mm so it can bring the wheel out a bit more and not have any inner carpet rubbing issues. As it looks now, the rear wont have any problem, but id rather make it closer in width to the front. What do you think?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM

A proper hubcentric spacer like those from H&R should not cause a wheel to ever fall off. Just remember you need longer wheel bolts equal in extra size to the spacer additional thickness.

Your 35mm offset wheel with a 8-10mm spacer will produce an effective offset of 27 - 25mm for a front 8.5" wheel. In my opinion, this will stick the wheel and tire out too far to the outside and you will cut your front tires on the fender lip if you don't roll it. You never indicated if your fitment problem is with the spoke/caliper clearance or the fender. FYI, an 8" width wheel preferred offset is around 28mm. This would put the wheel at approximately the same outside clearance as a 30-32mm 8.5" wheel.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by smgC32
A proper hubcentric spacer like those from H&R should not cause a wheel to ever fall off. Just remember you need longer wheel bolts equal in extra size to the spacer additional thickness.

Your 35mm offset wheel with a 8-10mm spacer will produce an effective offset of 27 - 25mm for a front 8.5" wheel. In my opinion, this will stick the wheel and tire out too far to the outside and you will cut your front tires on the fender lip if you don't roll it. You never indicated if your fitment problem is with the spoke/caliper clearance or the fender. FYI, an 8" width wheel preferred offset is around 28mm. This would put the wheel at approximately the same outside clearance as a 30-32mm 8.5" wheel.

Thanks so much for the input. We mounted the 38mm offset 9.5" rear with a 273/30/19 tire, and it fits PERFECTLY. The front we mounted a 235/35/19 on the 35mm offset 8.5" wheel with a 7.25mm spacer and it is even with the fender and will not cut it. So technically my front offset is now a 28mm.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 AM

I am assuming that your ride height is stock: 15" from center line of wheel to fender lip? Again, why the spacer? To clear the brake caliper?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by smgC32
I am assuming that your ride height is stock: 15" from center line of wheel to fender lip? Again, why the spacer? To clear the brake caliper?
Yes, I needed at least 6.35mm to clear the caliper, so im going to get the 10mm spacer and machine it down to a 7.25mm (just to have a bit more clearance).