C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Quaife diff. hard to install (instructions)?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Quaife diff. hard to install (instructions)?????

Hey guys i want to install a Quaife diff on my C55, (well GET IT installed ) but there is no one that sells them around me. I can order one and there are a few GOOD places around me to do the install but I get asked by everyone when i ask them if they feel comfortable doing the work, if its just taking the old one out and puting the new one in while using the existing bearings and um shims r they called i think? lol Quaife does NOT have install instructions and i do not have the experience to explain to these places what has to be done. I wish i could show them something just so they have a good idea of what the project calls for and to make sure they are totaly aware of there respon. I mean they have the tools but i want to be 100% sure that they are aware of what needs to be done so later i dont get a story like " you told us it just needed to be droped in but it needs a lot of fine tuning or else your rear end will be eaten up, oh and that will cost another $600 bucks!!" something like that. Any and all help would be appr.!!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Quaife installation and Warranty !!!!

VERY IMPORTANT: if the Quaife differential is installed by any body other than Quaife or an AUTHORIZED Quaife installer, your warranty will be VOIDED.
Best thing about Quaife is the LIFETIME warranty "even when raced" but like I said, you will void the warranty if non-quaife authorized installers touch the differential.
When I did the install at Evosport, I was quoted 11 hours.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 AM

exellent piece of advise ^
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
VERY IMPORTANT: if the Quaife differential is installed by any body other than Quaife or an AUTHORIZED Quaife installer, your warranty will be VOIDED.
Best thing about Quaife is the LIFETIME warranty "even when raced" but like I said, you will void the warranty if non-quaife authorized installers touch the differential.
When I did the install at Evosport, I was quoted 11 hours.
I would not worry about the warranty since they have never had one returned from breakage. Plus, I would like to see it in writing that they would not warranty it if installed by the owner.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
I would not worry about the warranty since they have never had one returned from breakage. Plus, I would like to see it in writing that they would not warranty it if installed by the owner.
Yeah I've never heard about that either. I know of Quaifes that have died on other vehicles and they repaired them no charge.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Yeah, but if it's installed wrong, it is much more likely to fail. Hence the requirement to use an authorized installer. I have not seen the warranty but it probably has a disclaimer that it does not apply if the unit is installed improperly.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:09 PM

06 C55
This is one job that if you DO NOT have the experience or skill to do, do NOT attempt.
There are a lot of little details in doing this job that is CRITICAL to the life of your pinion, ring and spider gears. That includes pinion and ring seating, backlash, pinion depth, new bearings and so on. So take the advise of the other post and pay someone that is PROFICIENT in doing rear end gears.
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Quaife Warranty will be VOIDED !!!!

Quaife has a clause in their warranty that states the warranty is NOT VALID if the differential is not properly installed by an authorized Quaife installer. So even if the differential was installed 100% CORRECTLY but not through an authorized installer, then warranty may still get VOIDED.
I already spoke to Quaife about this before I installed mine, and that's why I decided to get it installed by Evosport (an authorized installer). So, basically I paid a little extra but got the peace of mind that I have LIFETIME warranty on my differential (which is AWSOME by the way).
Also, please note that this is not my opinion, this is a fact. If there is any doubt, please call Quaife America to verify.
I am not against "Do It Yourself" installs or third party installs, but I'm just letting you know some facts to consider in your decision.
As others have stated, I haven't heard of too many Quaife break down, but the installation is fairly complex, and in the end it is up to you to decide.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-28-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Quaife has a clause in their warranty that states the warranty is NOT VALID if the differential is not installed by an authorized Quaife installer. So even if the differential was installed 100% CORRECTLY but not through an authorized installer, then warranty will still get VOIDED.
I already spoke to Quaife about this before I installed mine, and that's why I decided to get it installed by Evosport (an authorized installer). So, basically I paid a little extra but got the peace of mind that I have LIFETIME warranty on my differential (which is AWSOME by the way).
Also, please note that this is not my opinion, this is a fact. If there is any doubt, please call Quaife America to verify.
I am not against "Do It Yourself" installs or third party installs, but I'm just letting you know some facts to consider in your decision.
As others have stated, I haven't heard of too many Quaife break down, but the installation is fairly complex, and in the end it is up to you to decide.
No, it is NOT a fact that they WILL void the warranty like you say. They can if they want to be *****s, but like I said earlier, I know of many damaged quaifes that were repaired and not all of them were installed by authroized installers.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jgsx
No, it is NOT a fact that they WILL void the warranty like you say. They can if they want to be *****s, but like I said earlier, I know of many damaged quaifes that were repaired and not all of them were installed by authroized installers.
You are correct in what you said. Sometimes they do replace it, but also sometimes they may not. When my friend replaced his, they didn't ask any questions. But again, to be on the SAFE side, I think you should go with the authorized installer.
I found it worth it to pay 300 dollars extra (or 200 depending on the area you're in) to get the differential installed by an authorized installer and KEEP the warranty with NO QUESTIONS ASKED than take a chance.
The ultimate decision is up to you, to be on the SAFE side, I say go with an authorized installer unless there aren't any in your area.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-28-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
You are correct in what you said. Sometimes they do replace it, but also sometimes they may not. When my friend replaced his, they didn't ask any questions. But again, to be on the SAFE side, I think you should go with the authorized installer.
I found it worth it to pay 300 dollars extra (or 200 depending on the area you're in) to get the differential installed by an authorized installer and KEEP the warranty with NO QUESTIONS ASKED than take a chance.
The ultimate decision is up to you, to be on the SAFE side, I say go with an authorized installer unless there aren't any in your area.
I agree that you should use a reputable installer on this, hopefully someone that has installed LSDs in Benzs before. This is one of the few common W203 mods that isn't a bolt on.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

HEY guys thanks for all your feedback, it really helps!!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jgsx
I agree that you should use a reputable installer on this, hopefully someone that has installed LSDs in Benzs before. This is one of the few common W203 mods that isn't a bolt on.
I just had a chuckle when I realized that the Quaife now fits into the "common W203 mods" category - just a year ago, it was considered bleeding edge, expensive and risky (I know, being #2 here behind smg32 to have one installed)!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long live the Quiafe! Best mod ever. And a very easy install. Mine took about two hours total once out of the car. Reused factory shims, ring and pinion goes in easy in about 2 minutes. Back lash can be set by any mechanic who has a $150.00 Snap On tool. Why doesn't somebody list the "factory Authorized" repair facilities within this thread. I personally believe that Quaife will stand behind their product if any decent mechanic installs it, especially if a Mercedes dealer installs it.