C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

TSB for intermittently working Left Xenon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
TSB for intermittently working Left Xenon

as the topic says. my left xenon sometimes is dead with "Dipped Beam Check Left Lamp" code...but as i drive on the road, sometimes it turns on by itself.

and vice versa...maybe it is on at the start of the drive but it goes dead while driving

has anyone experience this problem or heard of it before?

took it to MB service took them 2 days to find the problem as inconclusive as it is an intermittent problem not a permanent one...making it even harder to detect
Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
I had this issue b4 and the dealer replaced the Xenon bulb the first time. If I recall correctly though, that didn't fix the flickering or light going out and back and had to bring it back a 2nd time. I believe they replaced the unit behind the bulb, not sure if that's the ballast or not but I still don't think it fixed the issue 100%. I would be more specific if I had my work order but that's in the car and the car is in the shop being repaired.

Oh, but mines was on the passenger side.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
No TSB as far as I know, but I had this on mine. They tinkered with the headlamps and made the problem happen more often. They then replaced the capsule (bulb) and ballast but problem persisted.

Had to negotiate hard as bulbs aren't covered under warranty, but the ballast is - however MB advise you must replace the capsule at same time as the ballast - they met the cost for both in the end.

With all the messing they managed to damage the self-levelling mechanism, which necessitated a new headlamp - problem gone once the new headlamp fitted. Apparently headlamps are covered by the warranty though!!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I have had this problem as well. 1st time I brough it in the said they couldn't find the problem. 2nd time I brought it in they switched the lights left to right and that seemed to work for a while, but the problem came back. 3rd time I took it in they said they found the problem and replaced some electronic control module (the invoice is at work). That seemed to fix the problem for about 2 weeks. 4th time I brought it in they replaced the right side bulb. Problem gone for 3 weeks. Now it is back again. All previous work was covered by warranty, including the bulb. I am going to bring it back for the 5th time under threat of the Lemon Law to see if they really fix the problem. Will keep you posted. (It freaks me out when the lights cut out completely for 5 to 10 seconds at night at high speed on the back roads -- I've taken to driving with my fogs on for security, pisses other drivers off though).

Last edited by Tump43; 03-10-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
No TSB as far as I know, but I had this on mine. They tinkered with the headlamps and made the problem happen more often. They then replaced the capsule (bulb) and ballast but problem persisted.

Had to negotiate hard as bulbs aren't covered under warranty, but the ballast is - however MB advise you must replace the capsule at same time as the ballast - they met the cost for both in the end.

With all the messing they managed to damage the self-levelling mechanism, which necessitated a new headlamp - problem gone once the new headlamp fitted. Apparently headlamps are covered by the warranty though!!
could it be the headlamp that cause the problems instead of the electronics?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SFML320
I had this issue b4 and the dealer replaced the Xenon bulb the first time. If I recall correctly though, that didn't fix the flickering or light going out and back and had to bring it back a 2nd time. I believe they replaced the unit behind the bulb, not sure if that's the ballast or not but I still don't think it fixed the issue 100%. I would be more specific if I had my work order but that's in the car and the car is in the shop being repaired.

Oh, but mines was on the passenger side.
they swapped the bulb from left to right and vice versa...Cleaned and checked all connections but it didn't fix it but it does make it happen less often than it was.
i asked them to check the igniter (ballast) but they said they were fine

they said that the car had "4 sand modules' costing AU$1000 each and they need to find 1 (or more) out of those four thats making the problem
Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 AM

C32 AMG
update

hey guys i found that by restarting the engine fixes the problem

when i start the car and the left xenon isn't working, i'd switch the light and engine off and restart it immediately...it fixes the problem...but having to restart the car everytime the left xenon isn;t working is just annoying

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Yes, restarting the engine fixed it for me too.

It certainly looks like the fault lay with the headlamp unit itself, or was fixed as a by-product of removing the old one and re-fitting the new one.

Given the headlamp wasn't covered by the warranty that part may never have been swapped had it not been for the broken self-levelling mechanism (which I think the dealer's mechanic did swapping bulbs around!).
Old 03-11-2007, 09:39 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Yes, restarting the engine fixed it for me too.

It certainly looks like the fault lay with the headlamp unit itself, or was fixed as a by-product of removing the old one and re-fitting the new one.

Given the headlamp wasn't covered by the warranty that part may never have been swapped had it not been for the broken self-levelling mechanism (which I think the dealer's mechanic did swapping bulbs around!).
headlamp as in the housing of the xenons/signal bulbs entire assembly?

how did you find out if the self levelling mech is broken? i think mine is broken too since they won't go up/down when i turn on the lights
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by AMGV6K
headlamp as in the housing of the xenons/signal bulbs entire assembly?

how did you find out if the self levelling mech is broken? i think mine is broken too since they won't go up/down when i turn on the lights
Yes replaced the whole unit.

I knew the self-levelling had been damaged because after I picked the car up from the dealer (with new capsule and ignitor fitted) the beam was bouncing around when I drove on uneven surfaces - could see it when following other cars quite clearly.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGV6K
as the topic says. my left xenon sometimes is dead with "Dipped Beam Check Left Lamp" code...but as i drive on the road, sometimes it turns on by itself.

and vice versa...maybe it is on at the start of the drive but it goes dead while driving

has anyone experience this problem or heard of it before?

took it to MB service took them 2 days to find the problem as inconclusive as it is an intermittent problem not a permanent one...making it even harder to detect
i had this problem b4 too and - i think it might be the igniter (that is what my dealer replaced)