Should I do it? C32 > C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I was just referring to certain issues that keep popping up over and over with C32's. I never see any for the C55 though.

Supercharger pump and Valeo radiator are the only C32-specific glitches. Together, they are a $1,000 problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C32 0-60 timing

Originally Posted by --phill--
how was this timed
Sorry for the delayed response. I used G-Tech Pro RR to record those times. It is pretty accurate if done on a flat surface. When my car was stock, I recorded 0-60 times in the 4.9 to 5.0 seconds range except for one time was 4.87. After modification, I used the same device and started getting into the 4.3 and 4.2 range. I actually got those speed with two different G-Tech devices: mine and my friend's. I got 4.261 seconds about three times and 4.225 only one time. Please note though that I don't get these times every time. My average 0-60 time is about 4.4 to 4.5 seconds. And even though I have SL65 rims and Quaife LSD, I still lose traction BADLY...
I'm still working on controling my launch and fixing my traction issues...
Sorry for the discussion...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Supercharger pump and Valeo radiator are the only C32-specific glitches. Together, they are a $1,000 problem.
Is that so? What about all these other threads I see about supercharger issues, transmission jerks and such due to glycol contamination? I doubt those are $1k problems if the car is out of warranty.

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 03-14-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
C55 I like the newer interior.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Almost a Member!

C 32 AMG
Hi,

Here some fakts from a Germany Car Magazins

Mercedes Benz C55 AMG: 0-100km/h(~60mph): 5,0 sec
0-200km/h(~120mph): 18,4 sec

Mercedes Benz C32 AMG: 0-100km/h(~60mph): 5,0 sec
0-200km/h(~120mph): 16,9 sec

{Porsche Carrera 997 4S: 0-100(~60mph): 5,1 sec
0-200(~120mph): 18,2 sec.}

Quelle: AutoMotorSport & Auto Sport
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry for the delayed response. I used G-Tech Pro RR to record those times. It is pretty accurate if done on a flat surface. When my car was stock, I recorded 0-60 times in the 4.9 to 5.0 seconds range except for one time was 4.87. After modification, I used the same device and started getting into the 4.3 and 4.2 range. I actually got those speed with two different G-Tech devices: mine and my friend's. I got 4.261 seconds about three times and 4.225 only one time. Please note though that I don't get these times every time. My average 0-60 time is about 4.4 to 4.5 seconds. And even though I have SL65 rims and Quaife LSD, I still lose traction BADLY...
I'm still working on controling my launch and fixing my traction issues...
Sorry for the discussion...
well i do think either way 4.2 is still too quick for pwr-to-weight perhaps 4.4`ish but which ever way thats a quick time.

have you thought about a racelogic setup ? i know the C class has a push cover near the lower center console it could be fitted in there.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

check out

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control

they do integrated launch control also
Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C32 0-60 times

Originally Posted by --phill--
well i do think either way 4.2 is still too quick for pwr-to-weight perhaps 4.4`ish but which ever way thats a quick time.

have you thought about a racelogic setup ? i know the C class has a push cover near the lower center console it could be fitted in there.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

check out

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control

they do integrated launch control also
Like I said, I don't get the 4.2 seconds every time. In fact, out of maybe 100+ times, I only got that 3 times. I do however average about 4.4 to 4.5 seconds consistently.

I checked out racelogic and it seems like a good product. But it seems very very similar to G-Tech: from what I read and saw, they both measure same exact parameters. I need to read more about their traction control.... the idea is very appealing...
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Like I said, I don't get the 4.2 seconds every time. In fact, out of maybe 100+ times, I only got that 3 times. I do however average about 4.4 to 4.5 seconds consistently.

I checked out racelogic and it seems like a good product. But it seems very very similar to G-Tech: from what I read and saw, they both measure same exact parameters. I need to read more about their traction control.... the idea is very appealing...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read on racelogic's website that it uses GPS signalling to give you the data. G-Tech uses acceleration/weight (g-force) instead. Am I off here?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E53
if they were both V8s.. or V6 SC. I would go with the newer one.

it all depends on what you feel like. A high whining sound of SC or deep muscle car tone of a V8?

they are both Mercedes and both AMGs. you cant go wrong.

I actually like a W202 C43.. haha
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
Why bother if you are happy with the C32? Do you have so many problems you feel a warranty is required. You can buy an extended warranty for your car for a lot less than upgrading to a C55.

If you do want a new car I'd wait just a little longer for the all new C63.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
G-Tech info...

Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read on racelogic's website that it uses GPS signalling to give you the data. G-Tech uses acceleration/weight (g-force) instead. Am I off here?
What I meant is that they both give measurements of same parameters:
0-60
0-100
1/4 mile
100-0 (de-acceleration)
etc...

I don't want to be off topic too much, so I think you should wait for the C63. You'll get a 100 hp extra than C55 plus you get better engine, suspension, handling, electronics, safety, etc...

Now that'd be worth the upgrade.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Is that so? What about all these other threads I see about supercharger issues, transmission jerks and such due to glycol contamination? I doubt those are $1k problems if the car is out of warranty.
glycol contamination or transmission jerk usually = Valeo radiator

only few people replaced the supercharger itself. charger clutch slipping due to age I think it's fairly normal.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
glycol contamination or transmission jerk usually = Valeo radiator

only few people replaced the supercharger itself. charger clutch slipping due to age I think it's fairly normal.
You're correct Frank, however with all of those potential issues with the c32 and someone out of warranty, how much does one expect to pay to replace all of those parts including the transmission?

There is no Valeo radiator, no glycol contamination, no supercharger to worry about or replace after a certain mileage on the C55. At what mileage does Mercedes-Benz recommend replacing the supercharger itself and at what cost? Do you see what I'm getting at?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
not really. he wants to trade in for a 2005 which only has 2 year left on the warranty anyways for $10k+ plus that he as he said already spent $4500 on repair which he didn't mention what it was. If it was one of these issues then he has nothing to worry about. In his case with only 40k miles on a 2003 car is not a whole lot there should be no other problem if he hasn't fixed them already. I would personally hold out for the w204 AMG.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM

guys the racelogic isnt the answerfor 0-60, 0-100 etc..

it is the answer to the over intrusive mercedes ESP system. it enables %percentage slip settings via a dial on the meter and wet,dry settings also a COMPLETE turn off of all esp systems where as the nannying mercedes system is never really turned off.
not only that it has integrated launch control facility if specified which is derived from proper race launch settings.

its not too expensive either.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by jgsx
If you didn't already have the C32, I'd say get the C55 if you plan on remaining stock. The C55 is slightly superior to the C32 in just about every way. It has an updated interior, fresh cluster, better seats, bigger rims, better suspension, better sounding exhaust tone, and has more factory warranty remaining. The C55 is better, but the C32 isn't far behind. The C55 is BARELY quicker than the C32 during a highway pull or from a dead stop. The C55 is quicker on a track run because of the suspension and motor characteristics combined.

But you already have the C32 . . . if you can get an extended warranty on it, I'd keep it. If you can't, I'd upgrade. I wouldn't want a Benz w/o a warranty, especially an AMG since everything is so expensive.

The one area where the C32 really shines is in modification potential. Throw on an $850 ASP pulley and the car will be significantly quicker than a C55. Add an ECU retune or the full stage 2, and the car will have some *****. The mods are pretty stealthy, so I really doubt you'll have warranty issues with the dealer. I've taken my car to two dealers and neither knew my car was modded. If you throw a supercharger on the C55, I wouldn't be suprised if you had warranty problems.

It is also easy to freshen up the C32. I upgraded my cluster, and I like it much better than the one that the C55 has. I also like my entire interior better than C55, minus the seats.
+1 and no brainer! keep and mod the C32!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials

the glycol contamination stems from the valeo radiator which- if caught on time can be prevented. the supercharger issues can be fixed w/a new balancer/pulley- i got mine done for about $200.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If you assume that YOUR car will have EVERY problem that ANY C32 has EVER had, then yes, it will be expensive to own.

But the vast majority of owners have no supercharger issue, most have no transmission issues, and most have no glycol contamination.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not really. he wants to trade in for a 2005 which only has 2 year left on the warranty anyways for $10k+ plus that he as he said already spent $4500 on repair which he didn't mention what it was. If it was one of these issues then he has nothing to worry about. In his case with only 40k miles on a 2003 car is not a whole lot there should be no other problem if he hasn't fixed them already. I would personally hold out for the w204 AMG.
Nothing to worry about.... LOL!! Famous last words.

Most of us have been on this forum long enough to read all of the *****es and complaints about the C32. Not saying the C55 doesn't have its problems but all the problems I ever see with the C55 are little nagging issues that do not render the car inoperable (ie command, radio, and other misc nagging issues). I still don't see where he said he spent $4500 in repairs, not in this thread or his other ones.

Ralf's C32 is out of warranty and, yeah, the replacement C55 might have "only" 2 years left on warranty. When it comes down to it, guess which car I would rather own "out of warranty"? It sure wouldn't be the one with the supercharged motor, or any forced induction AMG motor for that matter. The modding that some of you are suggesting will contribute to even more problems later on. Again that is just my opinion.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32

Most of us have been on this forum long enough to read all of the *****es and complaints about the C32. Not saying the C55 doesn't have its problems but all the problems I ever see with the C55 are little nagging issues that do not render the car inoperable (ie command, radio, and other misc nagging issues). I still don't see where he said he spent $4500 in repairs, not in this thread or his other ones.

Ralf's C32 is out of warranty and, yeah, the replacement C55 might have "only" 2 years left on warranty. When it comes down to it, guess which car I would rather own "out of warranty"? It sure wouldn't be the one with the supercharged motor, or any forced induction AMG motor for that matter. The modding that some of you are suggesting will contribute to even more problems later on. Again that is just my opinion.
Face it guys, the C55 seems to have a worry free drivetrain. The C32 has a couple minor issues, especially on 2002 models. I wouldn't call either unreliable though.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

LoL...ling, all I'm saying is from the way he sounds it doesn't sound like he want to keep any car for a long period of time. going from a 2003 C32 to a 2005 C55 is not a whole lot of improvement for the money he is going to spent for trading the car in. No one's saying the C32 won't have problems, but consider his car's age and mileage and whatever he had fixed for $4500 I would say he is in good shape for another 40k+ miles. This is of course assuming he just had the tranny replaced due to glycol or whatever the funky stuff it was costing him that much. If I were in the same spot as him I would definitely hold out for the W204 AMG may it be a new C55 or C63 whatever they decide to call it.

now, if he really wants a 203 C55 then the 2006 would be a far better choice. There should not be that much difference in price since MB resale has been horrible anyways. lol
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There should not be that much difference in price since MB resale has been horrible anyways. lol
Tell me about it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by shanetoast
Does anyone have pictures of an upgraded cluster in there C32?? If so please share. That was the only reason why i backed out of gettng one because it hurt my eyes. My sister has a c230 i think its an 03 and i just didnt feel the set up inside. So please share.. if i like maybe ill trade my car in and get a c32.
Here, sorry for the poor quality. This was with a shaky hand and a camera phone. This picture doesn't do justice, the cluster looks BEAUTIFUL at night.
Attached Thumbnails Should I do it? C32 > C55-img025.jpg   Should I do it? C32 > C55-img026.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I'll post some better pictures later. I'll use an actual camera.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM

2003 AMG C32
C32 > C55 Update (long)

Originally Posted by TemeculaC32
The biggest motivator to trade up for me is the lack of warranty. Ran out in December, since then about 4500 in the car. As far as the mods go, I agree this is one path but who in SoCal works on these cars? Brabus is way too expensive, the dealerships due not seem to do performance work.
Still considering the trade up. I did make a typing error on the quote above. The repair should have been $500 (did not hit shift on the $ key). This was for THREE diagnostic charges, 2 at a MB dealership, one at a local MB repair shop here in Temecula.

The issue with the car is unusual. At highway speeds, the car will slightly and briefly seem to "lurch" forward. Then, it will have absolutley NO power. You can stand on the pedal and it will not gain speed or shift down. Really seems to bog down. This also happens when rolling to a red light then stepping on the gas if the light changes before a stop.

The MB dealers claimed no problem found or could not duplicate. The local shop claimed the air temp sensor was bad. Replaced at $106 with no effect on the problem. They originally said the Air MASS Sensor was bad but then said the car dos not have one(?).

MB in Escondito also said the car does not have a AMS. MB in Lauguna Nigal says it does.

This is the motivation for changing out the car. The C63 would be great but not reachable with other obligations. The C55 would be about a $10K additional cost. Modding the C32 would be $3K at EvoSport including diagnostic on the issue above (stage 1). My concern there would be does the extra stress put on the engine equal more problems?

Any additional thoughts appreciated.

Ralf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I do it? C32 > C55