C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Should I do it? C32 > C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I personally don't have any experience w/ extended warranty... but logically speaking, if the problem is not found prior to the warranty becomes active, the warranty should cover... but for you, these problems may not be covered by any warranty since they occured before the warranty started.

Having said that...
If you're not happy w/ your car as is, then either fix it or sell it... If you know evosport could fix it plus add stage 1 (which would make more less on par w/ stock C55) for $3K and this would make you happy again w/ the car, then do it. Otherwise, I'd rather spend $10K.

The bottom line, just measure the cost vs. your feeling.... pick the one that you like.

BTW, if you ever consider purchasing a C55, PM me... I have one that I'm thinking of selling.... CA car (NorCal), black/black, loaded, mint condition, <20K miles (still under warranty). And as Ling said.... C55 never gives any problems
Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by TemeculaC32
My concern there would be does the extra stress put on the engine equal more problems?

Any additional thoughts appreciated.

Ralf
Both the C32 and C55 AMG motors seem to be bulletproof, so the additional stress is trivial.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by zoink
If you know evosport could fix it plus add stage 1 (which would make more less on par w/ stock C55) for $3K and this would make you happy again w/ the car, then do it. Otherwise, I'd rather spend $10K.
A stage 1 c32 is not on par with a C55, it is significantly quicker. A pulley alone makes it quicker. A stage 1 c32 will be on par with a C55 with intake/ECU/headers.

Last edited by jgsx; 03-16-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Still considering the trade up. I did make a typing error on the quote above. The repair should have been $500 (did not hit shift on the $ key). This was for THREE diagnostic charges, 2 at a MB dealership, one at a local MB repair shop here in Temecula.

The issue with the car is unusual. At highway speeds, the car will slightly and briefly seem to "lurch" forward. Then, it will have absolutley NO power. You can stand on the pedal and it will not gain speed or shift down. Really seems to bog down. This also happens when rolling to a red light then stepping on the gas if the light changes before a stop.

The MB dealers claimed no problem found or could not duplicate. The local shop claimed the air temp sensor was bad. Replaced at $106 with no effect on the problem. They originally said the Air MASS Sensor was bad but then said the car dos not have one(?).

MB in Escondito also said the car does not have a AMS. MB in Lauguna Nigal says it does.

This is the motivation for changing out the car. The C63 would be great but not reachable with other obligations. The C55 would be about a $10K additional cost. Modding the C32 would be $3K at EvoSport including diagnostic on the issue above (stage 1). My concern there would be does the extra stress put on the engine equal more problems?

Ralf
There's also nothing wrong with saying you want a new car. A guy on the AMG forum *****ed relentlessly that his SL65 had squeaky brakes. And then he posts that he sold it and got a Porsche GT 3. So, basically, he wanted a Porsche GT 3 and he had to make himself feel right about dumping a nearly new AMG at a tremendous loss. Meanwhile, a bunch of us wasted our good time trying to help him solve his squeaky brake issue, and to otherwise help him keep the issue in perspective.

Hey, it's great to get new stuff. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Still considering the trade up. I did make a typing error on the quote above. The repair should have been $500 (did not hit shift on the $ key). This was for THREE diagnostic charges, 2 at a MB dealership, one at a local MB repair shop here in Temecula.

The issue with the car is unusual. At highway speeds, the car will slightly and briefly seem to "lurch" forward. Then, it will have absolutley NO power. You can stand on the pedal and it will not gain speed or shift down. Really seems to bog down. This also happens when rolling to a red light then stepping on the gas if the light changes before a stop.

The MB dealers claimed no problem found or could not duplicate. The local shop claimed the air temp sensor was bad. Replaced at $106 with no effect on the problem. They originally said the Air MASS Sensor was bad but then said the car dos not have one(?).

MB in Escondito also said the car does not have a AMS. MB in Lauguna Nigal says it does.

This is the motivation for changing out the car. The C63 would be great but not reachable with other obligations. The C55 would be about a $10K additional cost. Modding the C32 would be $3K at EvoSport including diagnostic on the issue above (stage 1). My concern there would be does the extra stress put on the engine equal more problems?

Ralf
Have you had your intercooler checked? This sounds like an intercooler problem to me..
Old 03-17-2007, 01:44 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

Ralf
that = the intercooler pump problem.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 AM

White C
Wait for the C63's. . . c32 and c55 is 2 similar. . .
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
At highway speeds, the car will slightly and briefly seem to "lurch" forward. Then, it will have absolutley NO power. ...

Ralf
Intercooler pump problem - the "lurch" is a result of S/C clutch disengaging when is should not under normal circumstances, due to high air intake temperature. Since the load on the engine decreases sharply at that point, you feel the jerk/push. The lack of power at that point further proves this theory.

Another reason for having sluggish engine response and lack of downshifting is faulty throttle pedal sensor.

Last edited by gkstar; 03-17-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 PM

2003 AMG C32
Originally Posted by gkstar
Intercooler pump problem - the "lurch" is a result of S/C clutch disengaging when is should not under normal circumstances, due to high air intake temperature. Since the load on the engine decreases sharply at that point, you feel the jerk/push. The lack of power at that point further proves this theory.

Another reason for having sluggish engine response and lack of downshifting is faulty throttle pedal sensor.
Is this a complicated and/or pricey repair? Thanks for the information.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Originally Posted by jgsx
A stage 1 c32 is not on par with a C55, it is significantly quicker. A pulley alone makes it quicker. A stage 1 c32 will be on par with a C55 with intake/ECU/headers.
agreed. i have 2 buddies w/c55's that have ecu's and filters, i have a pretty much stock c32, and a friend w/a stage 1 c32. from a 0-100 the stage 1 c32 is almost always at least 2 cars ahead of the c55's and 3-4 ahead of me.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Is this a complicated and/or pricey repair? Thanks for the information.
it's a fairly cheap repair. just replace the cooler pump and refill the coolant.

it's the part labeled M44.
Attached Thumbnails Should I do it? C32 &gt; C55-intercooler.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

a Black
so I've changed my mind....kind of

I posted a few weeks ago, "don't get the C55 over the C32". Well, to my surprise my wife bought me a 05 C55 with 10k miles. The $ did not impact my decision it was a gift; and I had no idea she would do it. Thus, I had both a 02 C32 OEM and an 05 C55 OEM at my disposal.

C55 is better: lineal acceleration, handling, fit and finish, front end looks, sound, ride quality, options, interior, and top end acceleration.

C32 is better: sleeper and supercharger grunt....mod'able???

I really have to tell you, I love the C55. It just feels tighter, stronger, faster, smoother, quieter and everything else-er. In fact, I was surprised how much I enjoy driving it more then my C32 (which was a great car!). Now the C55 was/is 3 years newer, so some things just come with a newer car (fit and finish, options, interior).

The real question, do I think the C55 is worth $15k+ more? It depends on your money...if $15k is an issue or causes payments...no; the C32 is great. But, if you can do it cash with no worries...the C55 is, in all aspects a better car. IMO
Old 03-27-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I completely agree. 100% stock vs stock, the C55 is superior in just about every category. Congrats on the facelift.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by C55Vegas
C55 is better: lineal acceleration, handling, fit and finish, front end looks, sound, ride quality, options, interior, and top end acceleration.

C32 is better: sleeper and supercharger grunt....mod'able???

I really have to tell you, I love the C55. It just feels tighter, stronger, faster, smoother, quieter and everything else-er. But, if you can do it cash with no worries...the C55 is, in all aspects a better car. IMO
Harsh words to post on a C32/C55 forum.

You compared a 3 year old C32 with a lesser options package to a nearly new C55.

PS: C32 = Mod'able.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:51 PM

a Black
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Harsh words to post on a C32/C55 forum.

You compared a 3 year old C32 with a lesser options package to a nearly new C55.

PS: C32 = Mod'able.
Sometimes the truth hurts. (No doubt MB-USA agrees with all of my statements and actually attempted to improve all of these areas in making the C55). But no doubt "time" takes its toll...as I stated in the blurb.

To tell you the truth, I did not ever think I would be writing this. But if you drive them back to back, at length, not just 5 min off the lot, this is the story. Again IMO
Old 03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by C55Vegas
Sometimes the truth hurts. (No doubt MB-USA agrees with all of my statements and actually attempted to improve all of these areas in making the C55). But no doubt "time" takes its toll...as I stated in the blurb.

To tell you the truth, I did not ever think I would be writing this. But if you drive them back to back, at length, not just 5 min off the lot, this is the story. Again IMO
I don't disagree with your conclusions, just that you're comparing a 3 year old car to a new car. If both were new, and optioned out the same, the C55 would win on sound quality and handling (although the difference would be undiscernible to most drivers, and different tires would have a greater impact).

With the $15,000 price difference (or actually 1/3 of it) the C32 could be spruced up nicely.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I don't disagree with your conclusions, just that you're comparing a 3 year old car to a new car. If both were new, and optioned out the same, the C55 would win on sound quality and handling (although the difference would be undiscernible to most drivers, and different tires would have a greater impact).

With the $15,000 price difference (or actually 1/3 of it) the C32 could be spruced up nicely.
I agree with you too Fifth. But, stock vs stock, the C55 wins, even if they were both brand new. Modded vs Modded . . . The C32 wins by a landslide.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Modded versus modded the C32 wins? Not too sure about that.

How modded is "modded"?

The fastest C55 I've seen on here to date is DragonAMG's Kleemann SC'ed running 11.997 at 3k feet elevation. I have yet to see a modded C32 match that.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3

How modded is "modded"?

The fastest C55 I've seen on here to date is DragonAMG's Kleemann SC'ed running 11.997 at 3k feet elevation. I have yet to see a modded C32 match that.
Yes, a blown C55 will beat a modded C32. But a blown 55 isn't something that I'd want. It's totally obvious that it is modded and it costs a fortune. There will be warranty issues. A modded C32 interior is also way better than the plane jane C55 interior as well. A C32 with a couple parts will beat a C55 with ecu/headers/intake. You're right though, a well blown C55 is quicker.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter

How modded is "modded"?
That is the question. Otherwise, how about this turbo and S/C C32 :

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1447/article.html

500HP + 490 ft lbs

I read here that the (price) issue with a modded C55 is that it goes in the E55 territory, so many would just jump on an E55 instead.

Last edited by gkstar; 03-27-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

How modded is "modded"?

with $25k worth of mods.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Yeah, I take that back. It looks like a C32 with 25k in mods will beat a C55 with 25k in mods. =)
Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C32 and C55 Comparisons

I drove both C32 and C55 for a while, and nobody is denying the C55 has a few improvements here and there, but overall I would say both cars are 90% similar. I would rather spend 15 to 20 grand to get a car that is a HUGE improvement: more powerful, much faster, more options, and at least have a new shape, new design, new technology, etc...

Here are some points on the two cars:
========================
- Both C32 and C55 have an average 0-60 time of 5.0 seconds.
- C32 has an average 1/4 mile time of 13.7-13.8 seconds while C55 is 13.8-13.95 seconds.
- For twisties, most track results show C55 about one second faster (although there was a couple of tests where C32 had a slight lead).
- C32 can be modded to 430 hp for about $6,000 dollars (with bolt-on mods) while $6,000 dollars will only get you 390 hp on a C55.
- C55 has a 15% stiffer suspension, so the ride provides less luxury and more performance. Depending on the driver this can be a plus or a minus. Some people prefer the more luxury ride vs the stiffer more aggressive ride and vise versa.
- Both the C32 and C55 offer the SAME options: Navigation, Xenon, heated seats, head-lamp washing system, etc...

To summarize, the two cars (in stock form) perform at the same level, have the same chasis, same shape, same seating space, same safety features, and both cars offer the SAME options. Sure they drive a LITTLE differently, but overall, they are more similar than different. That's how car manufacturers get you, they change minor things here and there to convince you to upgrade...

Now if Mercedes would've made the C55 with 400+ hp (that is 50 horsepower increase over C32) and offered more options, such as, Parktronic, Active/Dynamic/Ventilated Seats, and all the other goodies, then YES I would go for the C55 upgrade. But the two cars are just more similar than different, which doesn't justify the extra 15-20k especially when the new C63 is right around the corner. Now that would really be worth the upgrade...

Please note that I love the C55 and I think it is overall (stock vs stock) the better car, but I just don't think it is different enough to be worth the upgrade. But if you didn't have a C32 and were thinking about owning a C-Class AMG, and want to keep the car stock, then C55 all the way.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 03-28-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM

GT3
Not sure where you saw 13.9's for C55's??? I ran my C55 and it went 13.3@106 bone stock. That was with a horrible 60' too(2.1). The car is bone stock with everything in the car, spare tire, and almost full tank of gas. I love my C55, just don't love the depreciation. If you are buying new make sure you don't over pay. MB has alot of hidden money in there cars and a fully loaded 06 C55 should be able to be bought for around 53k. Just my .02
Old 03-30-2007, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Edmunds Testing

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
Not sure where you saw 13.9's for C55's??? I ran my C55 and it went 13.3@106 bone stock. That was with a horrible 60' too(2.1). The car is bone stock with everything in the car, spare tire, and almost full tank of gas. I love my C55, just don't love the depreciation. If you are buying new make sure you don't over pay. MB has alot of hidden money in there cars and a fully loaded 06 C55 should be able to be bought for around 53k. Just my .02
Looks like you have one SUPER HEALTHY C55 if you ran 13.3 seconds bone stock. When I ran my friend's C55, I got 14.05 seconds, and in the same night, on the same track, I ran 13.84 in my C32 also when it was bone stock (Temp 84 F and 1,000 elevation).

Anyways, I got the numbers above from edmunds independent testing. Here is the direct quote from the article.

At the track, the C55 turned in slightly slower times than the C32 we tested a couple years ago. The raw numbers came in at 5.6 seconds for the 0-60 dash and 13.95 for the quarter. Still quick, but one would rightfully expect that the V8 would be a few tenths quicker, not slower. As we have stated before, there are many variables that come into play when testing a car for acceleration — the track surface, weather conditions (cool air is better than warm) and driver differences. Putting all that power to the ground is tricky, as it's so easy (with the traction control switched off) to make the rear Pirellis go up in smoke. If we chose to take say, eight runs, we're sure that the times would have come down, but we feel that three runs are easier on the car and better represent "real world" numbers. But let's not split hairs; this is one fast car any way you look at it.

Here is the link to the full article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=103424

I agree with you about the depreciation rates of brand new Mercedes. But you can use it to your advantage by buying one year or maybe two years used car. Take for example, S65 which costs almost 200k brand new. If you wait a couple of years (15 to 20k miles), you can buy one for 80k...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I do it? C32 > C55