Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's a Phenolic Spacers?

What is it usefor?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
lowers your intake temperature by putting a little insulation between your intake and super-charger IINM. Helps with IAT and general heat-issues which this car has a lot of.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

where can i buy it?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by timh718
where can i buy it?
www.evosport.com
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
It is a great "mod" for the every day driver car and the price is very reasonable on it. If you don't do the install yourself, labor is what will bite ya...although that's with most any mechanic work I suppose.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
It is a great "mod" for the every day driver car and the price is very reasonable on it. If you don't do the install yourself, labor is what will bite ya...although that's with most any mechanic work I suppose.
Has anyone ever done a before and after dyno with a phenolic spacer?

For a normally aspirated car, say My 91 Mustang before the blower, it did nothing at the track.

IE 14.3 before and 14.3 after.

Had to remove it with the blower as I use awhipple charger that mounts to the intake.

Just curious?

See yeah
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

For a normally aspirated car, say My 91 Mustang before the blower, it did nothing at the track.

Had to remove it with the blower as I use awhipple charger that mounts to the intake.

Just curious?

See yeah
I haven't seen dyno numbers before, but someone around here posted their temps before and after and it was fairly significant. I am assuming it was based on an IAT guage or something.
For our cars heatsoak is a HUGE issue....especially for those of us living down south in the hot humid air year round. You don't gain any hp, just able to use more of what you have for a longer time before heat soak (stop and go traffic) sets in.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious?

See yeah

phenolic spacers are not about HP gain, they are about consistency...it is one way to cut down on heat soak so that you don't lose HP...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
phenolic spacers are not about HP gain, they are about consistency...it is one way to cut down on heat soak so that you don't lose HP...
Okay guys, I agree that the phenolic spacer will cut down on intial heat soak, by the simple fact that it is an insulator.

My point/question is what good does it do after the car heats up, ie the heads, block, intercooler, and blower all reaching operating temperature.

I could see that it would take a little longer for all these items to heat up. But once they do, what would the spacer accomplish?

Could someone please explain this to me

See yeah
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
It is supposed to run at a constant lower temp. In other words, it will always be 100+ deg cooler than without it. It's not just going to keep getting hotter and hotter. Thermostat, radiator, intercooler, etc. all being the same as stock, overall temps will be lower throughout with the spacer.
Make sense? I feel like I'm trying to explain how to tie shoes.lol Simple yet difficult to put into words.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Almost a Member!

i see,~~
i should get one then!
it's hot in HK~
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
It is supposed to run at a constant lower temp. In other words, it will always be 100+ deg cooler than without it. It's not just going to keep getting hotter and hotter. Thermostat, radiator, intercooler, etc. all being the same as stock, overall temps will be lower throughout with the spacer.
Make sense? I feel like I'm trying to explain how to tie shoes.lol Simple yet difficult to put into words.
My question remains, What can it do besides slow the rate of warm up?

The engine/head will reach approximately 200 degrees, assuming a 192 thermostat, and that no liquid heat transfer is perfect.

The blower, working off of PV=NRT, will reach approximately 250 degrees when it is under boost. Heat is the by-product of any blower compressing air. This assumes that it is a 70-degree day.

So what is the spacer going to accomplish? Will it block heat to the head? Or cool the blower?

By the way, be careful if you still want to use a spacer as you now have another potential path for turbulence if the ports are not perfect, if they don't line up perfect, and if the additional gasket does not fits well.

Another note: NO race group uses phenolic spacers, ie CARt Nascar, F1, NHRA, etc, etc. If they really worked, don't you think that they would be in these cars

Some people use them in drag racing simply to change their power band, ie shift it up because of the additional plenum volume.

Oh well good luck, and save your money

See yeah
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 AM

2006 E55
Read posts 27 and 34 this will show you the benefits of phenolic spacers.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...?t=3458&page=3
Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 AM
SPONSOR

My question remains, What can it do besides slow the rate of warm up?

The engine/head will reach approximately 200 degrees, assuming a 192 thermostat, and that no liquid heat transfer is perfect.

The blower, working off of PV=NRT, will reach approximately 250 degrees when it is under boost. Heat is the by-product of any blower compressing air. This assumes that it is a 70-degree day.

So what is the spacer going to accomplish? Will it block heat to the head? Or cool the blower?
here is the one peice of the puzzle that you are missing...the spacer is made of a material that prevents heat transfer...

so instead of the 200 degree heat that you are quoting above, the intake plenums will stay at say 140 degrees(or whatever the temperature of the air is coming out of the intercooler, purely theoretical of course, this is subject to many variables but you get the idea)...therefore it is not heating up the air as much coming out of the intercooler before it enters the head...

make sense?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
The phenolic spacers are great for doing back-to-back runs in hot weather.

However, I think that they could have made them a little better. I don't know about yours, but my spacer didn't cover the outer most bolt on each side. There is one spot on each side where the intake plenums and the intake valves don't touch. I asked MB to look at them when they put the heads back on and if he thought that the design was horrible or if they could cause any issues later on, to please remove them.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
The phenolic spacers are great for doing back-to-back runs in hot weather.

However, I think that they could have made them a little better. I don't know about yours, but my spacer didn't cover the outer most bolt on each side. There is one spot on each side where the intake plenums and the intake valves don't touch. I asked MB to look at them when they put the heads back on and if he thought that the design was horrible or if they could cause any issues later on, to please remove them.
yup, agreed on the design...but as long as they seal properly, there should not be an issue...i was concerned as well when i first put them on, but i have had them on there for almost 20,000miles with no issues.

i am going to check everything out again when i pull it all apart as well...

on a side note, i just got a bigger custom intercooler reservoir to help deal with the heat soak issue....it is going on tomorrow and i am going to the track tomorrow night to see how it works...