C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 or M3 SMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Vic, great and informative comparison! (I love your driveway btw )
+1

holy crap... is that your driveway??? I thought it was some fancy 5 star resort or something!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
I was in your same boat two years ago.

I needed the 4 doors so I went for the C32.

The 02's are a bit outdated but with a few mods you'll refresh its look.

Also, check for insurance quotes on both cars.
How does the 02 differ from the 03 or 04?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Vic, great and informative comparison! (I love your driveway btw )

I saw that the OP had made the post on e46 and it's funny how the opinions/comments weren't as objective as they are here on mbworld.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=468611

(I've linked it to them as well.)
hahaha...pretty much what I've expected. Most of the people who are on our board has usually had a BMW M or non-M of some sort while the kids on e46fanatic only knows about 1 car and think it's the king of all car.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by itsmeek
stay away from audis. they are problematic, expensive to fix, and in my opinion- expensive vw's. i do have to admit my b5 s4's were animals but i would never ever buy another.
B6 S4 is a different animal than your B5. The 2.7T turbo was buggy while the 4.2 V8 is solid. And the VW comment is ridiculous when applied to anything other than the A3.

As if our cars are cheap to fix.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I guess the only major difference between the 02s and the 03s/04s is the bixenon option. The car just looks really outdated with the frosted headlights. It was my first mod and still one of my favorites.

I should've said C32s compared to the +05 W203 models. I updated the lights all around the car: bixenons (+$500 after selling mine), clear fogs (+$35 after selling mine), clear blinkers (~$30-$40 I think), +05 taillights ($240 and I haven't sold my old ones yet) along with the OEM sport grill (~$100).

In conclusion, for under $1K you can have any 02-04 C32 and make it look like the latest 2007 C Class, except for the interior and the warranty of course.

Last edited by ///AMG4EVER; 05-03-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
M3 or C32 This a really hard choice, i had the same choice about a year or so ago when i got my car. I cant say that i dont like my car, the C32 is an amazing car, so is the M3 but for my reasons the C32 fit my life style a little better, and its more of a sleeper and i like that. ppl really dont know about C32 and look like all the other C's but can really perform. So when u choose ur car just see what fits ur life style. if u want a more sporty looking car then the M3 works, but if u want more of a sleeper (and not get too many cops on ur ***) then the C32 is ur car. good luck on the choice and let us know what u choose.

Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
I guess the only major difference between the 02s and the 03s/04s is the bixenon option. The car just looks really outdated with the frosted headlights. It was my first mod and still one of my favorites.

I should've said C32s compared to the +05 W203 models. I updated the lights all around the car: bixenons (+$500 after selling mine), clear fogs (+$35 after selling mine), clear blinkers (~$30-$40 I think), +05 taillights ($240 and I haven't sold my old ones yet) along with the OEM sport grill (~$100).

In conclusion, for under $1K you can have any 02-04 C32 and make it look like the latest 2007 C Class, except for the interior and the warranty of course.
03 C32 have a better trani, and better shift vs the 02 C32, so i have been told, and they have a better gear down ratio. u can read all about it on the amg lounged web page

Last edited by Harry Madan; 05-03-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
now THIS is why I hate e46fanatics:

C32 and C55 is just a waste of money. I would rather get a 330Ci and a corolla than C55.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=468611&page=3

keep in mind, that the people talking the most **** aren't the M3 owners, but rather the idiots with POS 325's or 6 year old 330's.

while there are quite a few cool people on e46, it seems to be a bunch of stupid *** high school kids whose parents bought them a used 6 year old BMW that was a POS to begin with and yet they think that BMW >>> all.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
'03 -- Change from frosted xenons to clear xenons and the heater panel is a little different (buttons in the '02 are red and blue v. black with a red and blue triangle on the '03). Also, the famous AMG plaque was added to the top of the supercharger with the builder's signature , I think. I don't believe the '02s have this. My 9/01 build '02 doesn't anyway.

'04 -- Metal sport pedals.

Oh yes, and at some point, the first aid kit was moved from the rear parcel shelf to the trunk. I think that's about the extent of the differences. In other words, not much.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM

now THIS is why I hate e46fanatics:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=468611&page=3

keep in mind, that the people talking the most **** aren't the M3 owners, but rather the idiots with POS 325's or 6 year old 330's.

while there are quite a few cool people on e46, it seems to be a bunch of stupid *** high school kids whose parents bought them a used 6 year old BMW that was a POS to begin with and yet they think that BMW >>> all.
Yeah it does suck that the people talking the most shiet are the kids/persons with the 325 323 what not. But that also doesnt mean that they dont know what there talking about. But...... Thanks for all your help on the other forums. You really made it alost easier on me. When i do pick up the M maybe one day ill meet you at a meet. Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I saw..the post on e46 and it's funny how the opinions/comments weren't as objective as they are here on mbworld...
Interesting how some of the E46 guys seem to get a little hot under the collar while bashing the C32. We all tend to have some feelings toward (or against) a particular marque, but the vitriol spouted on that thread is a bit much. One doesn’t read the same disdain towards BMW here. That several of those owners present themselves as if their colonoscopy is a daily procedure will not be a factor in this diatribe. Not talking 'bout you, nlpamg…

I certainly have respect for the M3, because they are fine machines. They perform well, and provide a tactile driving experience to a higher threshold than AMG. Their motors, suspensions, and brakes are tuned and well sorted for the OTC enthusiasts. Can they be improved upon? Of course, and to that end there are several excellent aftermarket concerns that cater to the hardcore gentleman. When I see what the guys in BMWCCA do in comparison to MBCA, it’s a different mindset altogether.

The C32 is a fine car. It will rip easy 13s without breathing hard, and generates more than enough grunt whenever the need to get after it should arise. Its motor is fine. Spanked many an unsuspecting motorist, and has earned more than a modicum of respect from the shanetoast “sr” (sanctioned!) crowd. The problems that afflict the entire W203 line are, more often than not, easily rectified. Because the C32 is tuned more towards comfortable touring, it is clearly not as capable at limits of adhesion….I’m still working on that, though.

My AMG never fails to put a smile on my face when I open the garage door in the morning.

Last edited by splinter; 05-04-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by splinter
Interesting how some of the E46 guys seem to get a little hot under the collar while bashing the C32. We all tend to have some feelings toward (or against) a particular marque, but the vitriol spouted on that thread is a bit much. One doesn’t read the same disdain towards BMW here. That several of those owners present themselves as if their colonoscopy is a daily procedure will not be a factor in this diatribe. Not talking 'bout you, nlpamg…

I certainly have respect for the M3, because they are fine machines. They perform well, and provide a tactile driving experience to a higher threshold than AMG. Their motors, suspensions, and brakes are tuned and well sorted for the OTC enthusiasts. Can they be improved upon? Of course, and to that end there are several excellent aftermarket concerns that cater to the hardcore gentleman. When I see what the guys in BMWCCA do in comparison to MBCA, it’s a different mindset altogether.

The C32 is a fine car. It will rip easy 13s without breathing hard, and generates more than enough grunt whenever the need to get after it should arise. Its motor is fine. Spanked many an unsuspecting motorist, and has earned more than a modicum of respect from the shanetoast “sr” (sanctioned!) crowd. The problems that afflict the entire W203 line are, more often than not, easily rectified. Because the C32 is tuned more towards comfortable touring, it is clearly not as capable at limits of adhesion….I’m still working on that, though.

My AMG never fails to put a smile on my face when I open the garage door in the morning.
agreed

i'm pretty neutral when it comes to brands. next up Audi OT, but I love the new S5. it's what a coupe should look like compare to the E92 and the w209. nothing against the E92 and the W209 tho.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Also remember the 02s have the CF (or CF look) pillars... The top center air vent was also changed.

The amg engine plaque is really cool I must admit. I don't have it either...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by shanetoast
Those are the two cars im looking at right now. Saturday i will have one. What do you guys think i should go with. Both have 43k miles on them M3 is a 02 and the C32 is an 03. Any feedback would be great Thanks.
FWIW, I traded in my 2003 M3 SMG for my 2002 C32. M3 was nice car overall, very sporty. But, I absolutely hated the SMG transmission and found the lack of low-end torque and high-revving engine to be annoying. The M3 suspension was also VERY stiff and made even short stints to the store painful. Don't get me wrong, a lot of my complaints are subjective as the M3 is a very popular car that many people love.

For me, I needed a sedan with a back seat large enough for my 3 kids. I also wanted a car that could be driven hard if so desired without loosing performance.

Here is a fantastic article that compares the C32, M3 and Audi S4. It sums up the differences perfectly.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rmance_sedans/

Let us know what you pick!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Here is a fantastic article that compares the C32, M3 and Audi S4. It sums up the differences perfectly.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rmance_sedans/

Let us know what you pick!!![/QUOTE]

The above article says it all What it descibes about the BMW is why I now drive the C32. Yes as I siad originally, I beleive the M is quicker on the track, however for the other 99.9% of the time you drive her, she is the clear winner. Go AMG and you won't be disapointed.

See yeah