C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Front sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C32; '02 M5; '08 328i (US)
Front sway bar bushings

My '02 C32 has bad creaking from the front suspension when braking hard or going slowly over bump. I just replaced the end links and the noise are somewhat improved. But I can't figure out the correct part number for the sway bar bushing..

According to EPC with my VIN, it says my sway bar is 23mm but with bushing part number indicated it's for 22mm bar... A203 323 16 85, and the part number are replaced by A203 323 22 85 which also indicated it's for 22mm bars...

I also read that lots of C32 owners replaced it with A203 323 25 85 which is for 23mm bars that's also listed as C32 parts under different VIN. My question is, should I go with A203 323 22 85 or A203 323 25 85 which seems to make more sense even though the EPC called for the 22mm ones? Will the 23mm one ruins something if it happened to be wrong? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by M5CLK
My '02 C32 has bad creaking from the front suspension when braking hard or going slowly over bump. I just replaced the end links and the noise are somewhat improved. But I can't figure out the correct part number for the sway bar bushing..

According to EPC with my VIN, it says my sway bar is 23mm but with bushing part number indicated it's for 22mm bar... A203 323 16 85, and the part number are replaced by A203 323 22 85 which also indicated it's for 22mm bars...

I also read that lots of C32 owners replaced it with A203 323 25 85 which is for 23mm bars that's also listed as C32 parts under different VIN. My question is, should I go with A203 323 22 85 or A203 323 25 85 which seems to make more sense even though the EPC called for the 22mm ones? Will the 23mm one ruins something if it happened to be wrong? Thanks!
I wish I had saved the parts receipt from when I changed mine recently so I can give you the number. I do know that I went to my dealer with the VIN and asked them to pull up the proper "rubber bearing" (that's what it is called). I'm sure you know this but the part has been redesigned so that you not only get the rubber bearing that goes on the bar but for each bearing there are two rubber sleeves that protect the grip surface of the bearing from the elements. I believe that the -2585 number is for those new sleeves (going solely from memory here).

So when you ask for the replacement for the two bushings you will get a total of 6 rubber pieces.

Regards,
pete

btw it completely eliminated the squeaking.

Last edited by moorfan; 06-02-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or, you could just pull the front sway bar off, remove the bushings, apply a good coating of white lithium grease(this is what i did) or something that will not deteriorate in the short term, then reinstall the sway bar...should not take you more than 30 min...
Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by moorfan
I wish I had saved the parts receipt from when I changed mine recently so I can give you the number. I do know that I went to my dealer with the VIN and asked them to pull up the proper "rubber bearing" (that's what it is called). I'm sure you know this but the part has been redesigned so that you not only get the rubber bearing that goes on the bar but for each bearing there are two rubber sleeves that protect the grip surface of the bearing from the elements. I believe that the -2585 number is for those new sleeves (going solely from memory here).

So when you ask for the replacement for the two bushings you will get a total of 6 rubber pieces.

Regards,
pete

btw it completely eliminated the squeaking.

Hey,
I found the receipt for the parts. The replacement rubber bearing (commonly referred to as the sway/stabilizer bar bushing) is part number 2033232585.

The rubber sleeves that are part of the redesigned bushing are part number 2033270090 (you need four of those, two for each stabilizer bar bushing).

Each stabilizer bar bushing has a groove on either side of it, and each sleeve has a lip that fits into the groove on the bushing. Two sleeves per bushing. You must disconnect the stabilizer bar from the link rods so that you can slide the sleeves on, then you stretch the lip of the sleeve over the bushing BEFORE putting the "U" shaped holder back on that bolts the stabilizer bar to the front axle carrier.

Regards,
Pete
Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys.. Looking at the EPC, I was wondering what the heck the 2033270090 'boot' was until now haha, thanks! I think that's a rather strange fix if you ask me..
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
or, you could just pull the front sway bar off, remove the bushings, apply a good coating of white lithium grease(this is what i did) or something that will not deteriorate in the short term, then reinstall the sway bar...should not take you more than 30 min...
where does one purchase this grease? I needa do this to my car..
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by M5CLK
Thanks for the info guys.. Looking at the EPC, I was wondering what the heck the 2033270090 'boot' was until now haha, thanks! I think that's a rather strange fix if you ask me..
Well, not to doubt what 1FAST talked about, but grease on the rubber bearing can possibly do two things: one, it can attract grime, and two, it can deteriorate the bushing leading to excessive play or a loss of stabilization from the stabilizer bar.

At least this is what MB says, and my service and maintenance DVD specifically says NOT to grease the rubber bushing due to the possibility of breakdown of the rubber.

Regards,
Pete

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Wait.. Are you saying the the original bushings weren't greased??? I always thought that all sway bar bushings are greased? At least that's the case with my previous/current other cars...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by moorfan
Well, not to doubt what 1FAST talked about, but grease on the rubber bearing can possibly do two things: one, it can attract grime, and two, it can deteriorate the bushing leading to excessive play or a loss of stabilization from the stabilizer bar.

At least this is what MB says, and my service and maintenance DVD specifically says NOT to grease the rubber bushing due to the possibility of breakdown of the rubber.

Regards,
Pete
i agree with you pete...i was thinking more about a temporary fix to get rid of the squeaking, guess i should have clarified that when i posted...

i wish that we could get some polyurethane bushings for the sway bars...rubber is just worthless in my opinion
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
i agree with you pete...i was thinking more about a temporary fix to get rid of the squeaking, guess i should have clarified that when i posted...

i wish that we could get some polyurethane bushings for the sway bars...rubber is just worthless in my opinion
H&R sways come with polyurethane bushings.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by rlee02135
H&R sways come with polyurethane bushings.
the H&R sway bars that i got from steve came with rubber bushings...have they changed something? or can i order just the bushings?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
the H&R sway bars that i got from steve came with rubber bushings...have they changed something? or can i order just the bushings?
when i ordered a set for my C230, they came with it. think it was about 8 months ago. maybe you can order bushings...

H&R Sway Bars are the perfect compliment to H&R Springs, Coil Overs, Performance Shocks and Cup Kits.

Designed to reduce body roll, increase lateral stiffness and improve handling, H&R Sway Bars are crafted from a special 50CrV4 spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars. H&R Sway Bars are bent on proprietary machines designed by H&R that seamlessly produce beautiful complex curves making H&R Sway Bars a perfect fit for your vehicle.

All H&R Sway Bar kits have been shot peened and heat treated, and feature precision forged ends - many applications have multiple end link mounting points for adjustability. Also included are H&R exclusive bushings made from a Urethane / Teflon composite that eliminates squeaks, and don't require lubrication. Ever. That means no mess, no maintenance-just bolt in H&R Sway Bars and go!

Like all H&R components, H&R Sway Bars are 100% made in Germany, and are powder coated for long lasting good looks and durability on the street and track.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I have this problem, also. The rattling squeaking, etc. I suspected the bushings had gone bad.

The dealer determined that my car had an incorrect swaybar fitted. I think they had troubles with the bushing fit, and that's how they discovered it.

I am waiting for the correct AMG bar to arrive from Germany. I am assuming the dealer knows what they are doing, but I occasionally wonder if they just had the wrong bushings! Luckily it is all on warranty.

I've had this car since new (the second one in Dallas!), so I know no one has modified it