Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
02 C32 and Depo headlamps

I picked up these headlamps:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem

And they seem packaged well and look very nice, but the internals are so completely different from my existing headlamps that I just can't see how they will work. I'm assuming I've ordered the wrong headlamp, but other members have gotten this exact headlamp AFAIK and gotten them in (loosing autoleveling I guess, which I'm fine with). My current headlamps are as seen in my sig - single xenon (I think) and frosted.

Basically the power connectors just look very different. Can I retrofit in some way, or should I just sell them in classifieds and start over?

Any guidance here appreciated!

Last edited by Bif powell; 06-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
The Depos do not have a stellar reputation. Okay, they are deplorable. Their build quality and light pattern might suffice in a Daewoo, but not in your MB. This comes from the knowledgeable lighting mod fanatics on the W203 forum. I was also tempted by the updated appearance achieved by the clear lenses.

If you want to improve night vision, and take a few years off the countenance, go with the Euro Bi-Xenons from MBenzNL. Installed mine yesterday. I could not be more pleased. Not inexpensive, but they are the “right” parts for the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:06 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I'll sell you my OEM Euro Bi-Xenons.

I have both... but I love the black on black look, so I'm not installing them.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM

2002 c32
splinter - thanks for the feedback, probably shoulda posted here first, but as I said, other seemed to be pleased with the results, if not the quality in gereral.

Yeah, as much as anything I'm after the black on black - what did you do there Jerry?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Bif powell
splinter - thanks for the feedback, probably shoulda posted here first, but as I said, other seemed to be pleased with the results, if not the quality in gereral.

Yeah, as much as anything I'm after the black on black - what did you do there Jerry?
Like you, I purchased black depos. I got my housings and HID's from HERE. I installed them and after the fact thought I would like the Bi-Xenons better. I purchased the Bi-Xenons, only to find out there isn't much of a difference between the two. Don't get me wrong, the OEM parts have a light pattern that is much better, but I didn't get auto-leveling because I had halogens from factory. So, for me it was better light pattern or black on black. I chose black on black because of the compliments I get on the car. Not to mention, they are much cheaper.

Now, all you have to do is paint the chrome trim around the car black.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Like you, I purchased black depos. I got my housings and HID's from HERE. I installed them and after the fact thought I would like the Bi-Xenons better. I purchased the Bi-Xenons, only to find out there isn't much of a difference between the two. Don't get me wrong, the OEM parts have a light pattern that is much better, but I didn't get auto-leveling because I had halogens from factory. So, for me it was better light pattern or black on black. I chose black on black because of the compliments I get on the car. Not to mention, they are much cheaper.

Now, all you have to do is paint the chrome trim around the car black.
Forgive my ignorance here, but what do I need then to put into these Depo housings to make them work?...just a more generic HID setup?...an exact link would be idea, but a nudge would be appreciated - thanks!

I like a LITTLE bit of chrome
Old 06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
there should be a main connector for the headlamp. the other ones are for auto leveling which you don't need.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Did you buy an HID kit with the lights? If so, the wiring will be weird.

I wish I had a link for you....maybe I can take some pics if you want.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 PM

2002 c32
I did not buy and HID kit with the lights. Will any HID kit fit into these housings?

https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/196346-fs-w203-h7-hid-kit-practically-new.html

Pics would be cool - I'll take a pic of the back of the lights.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
I did not buy and HID kit with the lights. Will any HID kit fit into these housings?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196346

Pics would be cool - I'll take a pic of the back of the lights.
If you did not buy an HID kit, then it will be plug and play. You will not use the leveling plug any longer, only the one on each side for the housing and the one for the blinker.

I'll post a pic in a few minutes.....let me go take one for you.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:58 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
OK, here are a few quick pics I took. Hopefully, these will make sense. The more I think about it, you must have something way different than the rest of us....Let me know if you need any others.

The green circles on the first pic show the connectors on the bi-xenons.

The green circles on the second pic show the two connectors you will use on the depos. The ground wire and the leveling connector will not be used.
Attached Thumbnails 02 C32 and Depo headlamps-back_euroxenon.jpg   02 C32 and Depo headlamps-depo_installed.jpg   02 C32 and Depo headlamps-depo_installed_front.jpg   02 C32 and Depo headlamps-euro_xenon.jpg  

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 06-04-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 PM

2002 c32
I think you have one more plug than me?...

I started with this thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=headlights

Can I just buy an HID kit that is more plug and play rather than mess with modding my stocks?...

In any case.

I can't see how it will be plug and play. Unfortunately my current headlamps are with my car getting some body work done, but here are the Depos. My stock blinker bulb wouldn't fit BUT my blinker bulb-holder (?) fit in the same hole.

Shot of the entire rear of the driver's side headlamp

Left Side rear of the lens and the left plug

Left side plugged in (no light in it, just showing how it fits) - the lamp from my stock ones has a contact in the middle and a very different looking plug.

Right plugs - problem here is that the light I pull from the same location on my stock lamp doesn't really fit quite right - it's close, but it sure won't go securely into the socket.

There is also this really small plug down in the lower right

A couple bars that came with the system

Front shot

Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
than whats with the silver grille?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by rlee02135
than whats with the silver grille?
Youthful indiscretion

Actually I like that grille, but I wish it was maybe dark gray, maybe not quite as black as some I've seen.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400

I started with this thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=headlights

Can I just buy an HID kit that is more plug and play rather than mess with modding my stocks?...

In any case.

I can't see how it will be plug and play. Unfortunately my current headlamps are with my car getting some body work done, but here are the Depos. My stock blinker bulb wouldn't fit BUT my blinker bulb-holder (?) fit in the same hole.

A couple bars that came with the system

For the blinker bulb, you have to get rid of the one that the Depos come with and snap in the OEM ones. As for the bars, i think they're just in there for shipping purposes, i just threw them away.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you are just showing the connectors for the bulbs, not the housing. the headlight plugs does not plug directly behind the bulbs. your stock xenon headlight uses different bulbs of course the connector will be different.

go look at the picture rlee posted and you'll see.

Last edited by FrankW; 06-05-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
SPONSOR

C63S

In any case.

Throw the bars away as previously stated. The little plug you mentioned is for the city lights.

You have two options at this point if you still want to use the Depos.

1. Buy an HID kit and complicate the install even more.
2. Buy halogens and make the kit plug and play.

Your xenons bulbs will not work with those housings.

Personally, I would buy the HID kit and take your time getting it installed and make sure that no wires are exposed and the holes you will need to create in the housings are sealed. This will make sense once you have all of the pieces in front of you.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by FrankW
you are just showing the connectors for the bulbs, not the housing. the headlight plugs does not plug directly behind the bulbs. your stock xenon headlight uses different bulbs of course the connector will be different.

go look at the picture rlee posted and you'll see.
Do you mean AMG-Jerry?...I do see pictures that jerry posted...in any case my first picture shows the rear plugs - as I mention, seems like he has one more plug in the rear of the assembly than I have.

However, your last sentence gets closer to what what I was looking for and why I posted the other thread where I asked if I can just use the guts from my stocks in the Depos - someone there indicated that I could, but you're saying in fact I cannot. So I just need to buy bulbs that fit into this housing?...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Throw the bars away as previously stated. The little plug you mentioned is for the city lights.

You have two options at this point if you still want to use the Depos.

1. Buy an HID kit and complicate the install even more.
2. Buy halogens and make the kit plug and play.

Your xenons bulbs will not work with those housings.

Personally, I would buy the HID kit and take your time getting it installed and make sure that no wires are exposed and the holes you will need to create in the housings are sealed. This will make sense once you have all of the pieces in front of you.
K, now this is the post I wanted Thanks.

So for instance, will this work?

In it he says it's w203 hid kit, but seems like your indication is that I need a more or less generic HID kit?...

Also, many thanks for the help - headlamps are something I've never paid attention to in cars, so this has been a learning process
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
My current headlamps are as seen in my sig - single xenon (I think) and frosted.
Originally Posted by eBay
Will NOT work on models with factory HID D2R / D2S / D2C xenon bulbs
Just thought I'd point out where you made your mistake since that's the same thing I did. This thread is a lot more informative than the one I've made in the past. Good luck on your modification.

Originally Posted by splinter
I love reading your posts.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials

the wiring of the hid kit was a joke, it took 5 mins.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
K, now this is the post I wanted Thanks.

So for instance, will this work?

In it he says it's w203 hid kit, but seems like your indication is that I need a more or less generic HID kit?...

Also, many thanks for the help - headlamps are something I've never paid attention to in cars, so this has been a learning process

Yeah, that HID kit seems to be as generic as mine. The power harness for the HID kit (at least on mine) plugs into the Depo housing. You then take the plug that is for the H7 halogen bulb and stick the HID spades into there. The HID wires then run out of the Depo housing (because there isn't enough room for the ballast and ignitor inside) to the ballast. You will mount the ballast and ignitor (unless your's is combined, then you only mount one box) somewhere close, then those wires go back inside the Depo's, where they mate with the HID bulb.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
i have posted about this before...i drew a really elementary diagram. you can search for it if you like..i couldn't find it.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM

2002 c32
K, finding time for this again. If I order this kit, will I be able to make it work with these housings?

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=5

Many thanks for any guidance on this!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
K, finding time for this again. If I order this kit, will I be able to make it work with these housings?

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=5

Many thanks for any guidance on this!
d2s, NO. I think the DEPO housing still uses the H7 bulbs. you'll need to find a H7 spec HID kit.

my suggestion is to get the DEPO housing first and make sure what bulb is used for the low beam and decide which HID kit you want to purchase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 02 C32 and Depo headlamps