C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Finally it happens to me!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32 LET Stage I
Angry Finally it happens to me!!

Yesterday my 03 C32 with only 34K miles, driving back from work, 93F temp. merging on the hwy, supercharger does not engage. Car feels like a dog when this happens. But in about a min. or so, things started working fine and I haven't been able to make it break again.

Is this the classic supercharger pump problem? I have CP warrenty, should I just take it in and have them replace stuff or wait for it to happen again? Does the supercharge sometime just not engage and this is not necessarly a problem?

Expert opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Yup, I/C pump. It will usually start going out intermittently, then just give up the ghost all together. Your dealer will not see any codes thrown for your brief incident except for, possibly, a high AET warning.

Anyway, you will need to get it replaced. Print out some of the threads here, as explanation for the SA. Otherwise, they won't know what you're talking about.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Yeah, you will have to argue the fact with them.Basically tell them of the lack of power and at 2500-3000 rpm or so around 80 mph you can feel the SC kick in then shut down. Also you no longer hear the IC pump running after the car is shut off like you use to be able to. With that if they search the TSB's they will link this to the IC pump and you will be set. I have has two SH%$ the bed on me thus far they fixed them both with the above comments.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 AM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Yup, I/C pump. It will usually start going out intermittently, then just give up the ghost all together. Your dealer will not see any codes thrown for your brief incident except for, possibly, a high AET warning.

Anyway, you will need to get it replaced. Print out some of the threads here, as explanation for the SA. Otherwise, they won't know what you're talking about.
True,... true! If they do the job right, they will also erase a particular program in one of the electrical control module. I think it controls how the SC interacts with the engine and transmission. If I understood the mechanic's explanation, it also reads load requests from your right foot as well as sets a new Air Intake Temperature limit. My point is, if you are thinking of getting a new battery for your 32,... get it BEFORE you have your I/C pump replaced.

I replaced my battery a couple of days after mine was replaced and the car didn't run right at all,... not as much punch and the trans seemed to take longer to upshift under normal acceleration. I called to speak to my SA and he got the head mechanic on the line with me. Took him all of three questions to zero in on things. His forth questions was had I replaced or disconnected the battery. When I confessed that I had had a new batter installed, he chuckled and scheduled me to return and he erased the old program and I guess re-write a new on top. Something about the systems going hay-wire or reverting when amps go below a certain level,... including your sunroof.

Apparently, replacing an I/C pump in the early C32's involves more than just the pump itself and requires a re-write of some sort. Some of the more knowledgable guys could prolly explain it better, and prolly with less words.

But just a heads up. My only question is will I have to take it in to the dealer everytime I forget and leave a light on? Guess it's cheaper than replacing a ROM chip or something like that.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM

'03 C32 LET Stage I
Thanks

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Apparently, replacing an I/C pump in the early C32's involves more than just the pump itself and requires a re-write of some sort. Some of the more knowledgable guys could prolly explain it better, and prolly with less words.
I have an early 02. I replaced just the pump and nothing more. The only difference that I can think of in software is the IAT temp threshhold that tells the SC to shut off. In the 02's, it was higher, 250. 03 and 04 was lowered to 190.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by code3smith
I have an early 02. I replaced just the pump and nothing more. The only difference that I can think of in software is the IAT temp threshhold that tells the SC to shut off. In the 02's, it was higher, 250. 03 and 04 was lowered to 190.
Uhmmm! I got a feeling that if the dealer had put their hands on it, they would have touched whatever software they're talking about. But ever since I had the battery changed the revs and sense of torque and speed just don't match anymore. I understand it could be in my head,... but I honestly don't think so. There's more time between shifts, and when they finally happen, they're softer,... that I know I'm not imagining.

I'll know for sure when I take it back Saturday. Like I said, the Shop Forman said over the phone that the change of battery caused just enough power interruption to cause this, although he didn't go into any Detail.

This is exactly how it is written on my Service Report:

Customer sates he is having issues with his Super Charger after 30+ minutes of drive time. He has communicated with MBUSA. (reply from e-mail survey after 1st visit and no resolution) Have Shop Forman get involved and get persmission from Client to drive his vehicle with client present. Electircal fault with Charge Air Cooler Circulation Pump. Verified complaint. SDS check, Code P2027-001 in ME Control Unit. Perf Diag Test of Pump Relay and Fuse in rear SAM. Checked Ok. Perf component Actuation via SDS and Current Consumption. Failed both test. R&R and Engine Lower compartment panel. Remove and refill coolant. Replaced Pump. Erased code. Road Test. Passed Test.

Looks like the part # for the pump is 000-500-03-86 (warranty). Job#2 is 99MBZ (have no idea what that is).

I'll find out as much as I can Saturday and let you guys know if it's a big a deal as I'm thinking it is!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
arrrghhh those I/C pumps
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 PM

2003 C32
Took mine in to a dealer - had a series of carchip printouts showing consistent IAT rising over 200 (every drive)... And I explained the loss of power, etc. They called and said they ran diagnostics and it "all checked out fine." Unbelievable. I just bought this car 2 weeks ago from the same dealer (CPO no less). Not a good way to start my C32 experience...