C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

IS K&N safe for C32 ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by code3smith
So what exactly is the reason you dont use them...?
Yacht Master summarized it pretty well. Overhyped, expensive, no proven gains, and risky for the engine if not maintained right. Cost/risk v. benefit ain't there.

I did however add the K&N sticker and got my 5 ponies
Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Yacht Master

I have proof of gains!
If you install only the K&N sticker under hood you get 5 HP.
If you install the K&N sticker on the outside of your car 7 HP.
K&N filters speak volumes on the gullibility of some people.
Knock yourself guys, but I know I will be using them

Go to any track, and ask around, they work, period.

Oh well to each his own, but you are hard pressed to fined a cheaper/easier way to pick up a few ponies.

See yeah

Oh yeah I agree that the stickers are worth the extra ponies
Old 07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Oh well to each his own, but you are hard pressed to fined a cheaper/easier way to pick up a few ponies.

Please show me the BEFORE & AFTER Dynos to prove that claim !!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Saprissa

As I said, I really don't care what anyone else uses, as I don't follow a crowd.

Now that being said, go to Kennebell's web site, yes they are Ford's
Or go to Car craft, Muscle Mustangs, etc, etc, etc. And YES they do have dyno's. An engine is an engine, and for the money there is NO cheaper way to pick up a few ponies.

I have not done my C32 dyno before and after as I won't spend a couple of hundred bucks to see a 5 HP difference, But I am GLAD my K/N is there, period.

Enjoy replacing your filters, as I will simply wash mine

See yeah
Old 07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

Hey, you can't trust dynos either. If it feels faster, that's all that matters!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Thanks Fifth, I couldn't have said it better

See yeah at the track

Last edited by MRAMG1; 07-03-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
oh, OK.

That proves it.

Next time I'll just stick my arm out the window to "feel" how much faster I'm going !

Thanks !

Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
oh, OK.

That proves it.

Next time I'll just stick my arm out the window to "feel" how much faster I'm going !

Thanks !

Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by Slater126
Yacht Master summarized it pretty well. Overhyped, expensive, no proven gains, and risky for the engine if not maintained right. Cost/risk v. benefit ain't there.

I did however add the K&N sticker and got my 5 ponies
Overhyped - opinion
Expensive - Paper filters need to be replaced. I got my K&N filters for $50. The cheapest paper filters I could find were $25. So replace your paper filters just once, and you are at the cost of the K&N filters.
No proven gains - really...My Cobra saw gains with only a K&N filter. I guess we can just chalk it up to dyno inconsistency
Risky for the engine - really...what risk is that? The C32 does not have a MAF, so oil is not an issue. Letting more dirt into the engine? More than the green filters, bmc, or others? I will start thinking about that when I hit 200k miles.

I will put my stock filters back in, and run some tests on my autoenginuity program. Then put the K&N back in, run some more tests, and make some comparisons. Maybe there will be some gains, maybe there wont.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Well, maybe the C32 doesn't have a MAF but it can't be good to have oil getting sucked into the intake system from over oiling. And I never said I'd use a Green Filter either. As I said, they're all basically the same thing (oil is the filtration method). I just think these filters are another example of aftermarket hype. And you're right, that is an opinion. Many have an entirely different opinion, and that's fine too. We can all agree to disagree.

This said, I'd love to see some test results. I've never seen any reliable data which supports value of these filter elements over paper ones but, if you can prove it, that would be great. Go for it and let us know what happens.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
FWIW

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

All superchargers have close tolerances between moving parts (rotors) and housing, any foreign object will cause damage (FOD) even the finest sand that can pass through a K&N. Oh and the inter cooler loves an oily mess too!
You really want the cleanest air going to your supercharger.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 07-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
FWIW

All superchargers have close tolerances between moving parts (rotors) and housing, any foreign object will cause damage (FOD) even the finest sand that can pass through a K&N. Oh and the inter cooler loves an oily mess too!
Good points. That being the case, it would seem you'd want to use the paper filter on our cars...

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/h...-filters-work/

According to this article, "[i]f keeping dust from your engine is the goal, a paper filter such as an AC Delco will provide far superior filtering performance." It seems the K&N does flow more air but how much horsepower difference does it make? And does it outweigh the possible harm? Those are the key questions.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
FWIW

I agree with the supercharger statment, and I have 88,000 miles on my 91 road racing stang with a whipple charger running 10 pounds of boost that says K/N,s are a GOOD thing. Oh yeah, for the past 14 years now!

Oh well enough said you go to your church and I will go to mine

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 07-03-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:16 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
160k miles on my bro's 528i with K&N filter. It works.

79k miles Green filter on my C32. It also works.

The engine will die of some other reasons long before the more micron partical cause any real damage in the engine.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-03-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
OK, so I've come up with a new invention, for all you K&N kool-aid drinkers. I call it the K&Y spandex condem (patent pending). Think about it: you can use it over and over, just wash it every two or three "usings". Just think of the amount of money you can save by not having to go out and buy a box of the old fashioned Latex stuff.

Sure the spandex is more porous than latex, but what does it matter if a small amount of "contaminate" gets through? As long as the condem comes (no pun intended) with a sticker that guarantees an extra 5 to 7 seconds of performance, contaminate is just fine!

Also, we can make the spandex condem with cool racing stripes to enhance the effect.

Well, what do you think? Any takers?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Its interesting to see k&n haters asking people that use them for proof of performance. Yet none of you offer proof of disaster...I am being serious. Prove to me that the k&n filter is bad by offering real evidence, beyond filtration testing. I can prove my claims. I would be more than happy to offer dyno proven gains on my Cobra. I can say without a doubt I have never had to replace a k&n filter. I can tell you that I have never had any engine problems, in any car using a k&n filter, where the problem was a result of the use of a k&n filter. None of the people that use k&n on this board are saying its some kind of miracle filter. But apparently our collective experience doesnt prove anything. If you are going to bash k&n, then you need to bash all aftermarket filters. The oil issue in the filter, is not an issue on the C32. So the only argument left is dirt contamination. But all aftermarket filters allow more than a paper filter to pass through. So really, you should be arguing for paper, or nothing...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Its interesting to see k&n haters asking people that use them for proof of performance. Yet none of you offer proof of disaster...I am being serious. Prove to me that the k&n filter is bad by offering real evidence, beyond filtration testing. I can prove my claims. I would be more than happy to offer dyno proven gains on my Cobra. I can say without a doubt I have never had to replace a k&n filter. I can tell you that I have never had any engine problems, in any car using a k&n filter, where the problem was a result of the use of a k&n filter. None of the people that use k&n on this board are saying its some kind of miracle filter. But apparently our collective experience doesnt prove anything. If you are going to bash k&n, then you need to bash all aftermarket filters. The oil issue in the filter, is not an issue on the C32. So the only argument left is dirt contamination. But all aftermarket filters allow more than a paper filter to pass through. So really, you should be arguing for paper, or nothing...
Well spoken

See yeah
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Why wouldn't you just post the dyno information?

I could provide links to multiple K&N user messages (mostly Audi/VW) wherein K&N filters have oil-fouled their MAF sensors. We don't have that problem with MB, so perhaps there is no downside for us.

There are two distinct criticisms, and you shouldn't confuse them. There are people who say that K&Ns create problems. That's based on anecdotal evidence (like what I just posted above), and that's of little probative value and can certainly be discounted.

The more valid and common criticism is that there is no provable benefit in filter performance versus OEM; and filter performance is: (i) filtering ability, and (ii) performance enhancement (HP). That's proven in tests (which you seem to dislike), and the absence of scientific proof to the contrary.

As to filtering ability, WHO CARES? The OEM filters are as good or better than foam; and nobody buys K&N for their filtering ability. As to performance, if there was a clear, and consistent benefit, then K&N would have it plastered ALL OVER their web site. They would list the car and the range of increased HP. They certainly have the resources to do this; and why wouldn't they?

So, to me, the only reason to get the K&N is to save money by cleaning the filter versus replacing them. Perfectly legitimate reason.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=Fifth Ring;2302952] As to performance, if there was a clear, and consistent benefit, then K&N would have it plastered ALL OVER their web site. They would list the car and the range of increased HP. They certainly have the resources to do this; and why wouldn't they?

Hey Fifth:

On K/N's website they DO list Horsepower level gains, simply click on your application, and the numbers appear below the part number. Just not our toy unfortuniately.

They only list them for their whole package, not ALL drop ins.

Oh well, just FYI here

See yeah
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I've had K&N's in my C32 for almost 3 years. I have had NO problem whatsoever. As far as gains go, I do not have any dyno sheets. Being that all I have is filters, the gain is minimal. More than anything, I think the filters help with throttle response.