C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

IS K&N safe for C32 ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 2002
IS K&N safe for C32 ?

Ihave read some threads, and I had the filter installed like 3 months ago. Now I am worried, should I be if C32 does not have the MAP ? Help
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
when you clean them jus dont over oil them, ive had k/ns in my 203 for a year now and no problems.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
No problems here either.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Avi02C32
Ihave read some threads, and I had the filter installed like 3 months ago. Now I am worried, should I be if C32 does not have the MAP ? Help
no they are not, they let dust and other particles through. so it will cause the car damager in the log run.

Originally Posted by anthuny85
when you clean them jus dont over oil them, ive had k/ns in my 203 for a year now and no problems.
not true, the K&N filter works better as it get's dirtier, so if u clean the filter it will be not as effective as it should be. and u will have to oil the filter to some level since it is cloth about 70-80% cotton, it will require some oil or it will rip and then become useless.

if u are looking to get a good air filter in ur car i would recommend spending a little bit more money and getting Green filters. they are a lot better then K&N and un-like the K&N which requires cleaning every 100,000K u will need to clean the green every 5000-10,000K's as it gets dirty. but they are at there max efficiency out of the box. un-like the K&N whit will be at its max efficiency at about 50,000K or higher. (the more dirtier they get the better they work)
Old 06-28-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
There's some confusion floating around in the above discussions

The C32 has a MAP, not a MAF. The K&N oil caused problems with some MAFs on W203s (again, the C32 does not have a MAF). This seems to have been from using too much oil on the recharge. That's where the don't over oil the K&N thing stems from.

The other big option is Green filters. At least some Greens on C32s do not sit properly in the air box over time, and end up letting completely unfiltered air into the engine.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
has anyone seen any real gains from either green filters or K&N's on MB's? I haven't really seen any significant gains and it seems like it's just more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 AM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by e1000
has anyone seen any real gains from either green filters or K&N's on MB's? I haven't really seen any significant gains and it seems like it's just more trouble than it's worth.

i doubt anyone can notice a difference. on the dyno, yea...

actaully feeling the difference, no way.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by jgsx
...some Greens on C32s do not sit properly in the air box over time, and end up letting completely unfiltered air into the engine.
That pretty much sucks the big nasty ****, doesn’t it? Both figuratively and literally.

I am just an old ‘tard, but attempting to gain a few HP from the reduced debris filtration capabilities offered by the aftermarket air filters versus that provided by the OE Mann, Knecht and Mahle suppliers is merely false economy. http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

If one desires a verifiable increase in his AMG’s performance, it will require an investment of far more than a pair of quick and dirty air filters.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
I have it on my C280... and no problems... so far
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Avi02C32
They are SAFE:

I have used them on EVERY vehicle I have EVER owned, and it is complete that they hurt engines. Go to their web site http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
and you will see for yourself.

Hope this helps dispell the about K/N's they really are a great product for the buck.

See yeah
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
They are SAFE:

I have used them on EVERY vehicle I have EVER owned, and it is complete that they hurt engines. Go to their web site http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Hope this helps dispell the about K/N's they really are a great product for the buck.

See yeah

Well if K&N says their filters are effective, it must be true!!!

Seriously, the BEST possible result for any filter is that: (i) it might save you money in the long run b/c you can clean versus replace them, and (ii) it probably will not do you any harm. Power gains are illusory; and does anyone really care if they filter better? Has anyone had a problem with OEM filters letting in too much dust?

It feels good to think you've improved your car, so there's probably a Zen-therapeutic value as well. I get that from a nice wash and wax.

[The BobIsTheOilMan study above is very interesting. Basically, all filters are remarkably close in air flow, and if they allow more air flow, they don't filter as well. Duh.]

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 06-28-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The second K&N thread in two days. I hope this is not a trend.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
For anyone who has invested in an aftermarket filter and supporting equipment... more power to you (figuratively of course). For someone thinking about doing it, these threads are very instructive. We perhaps don't need two of them in stereo!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by spinsonic
i doubt anyone can notice a difference. on the dyno, yea...

actaully feeling the difference, no way.
+1
the filters are a help if u have other modes in ur car, only thing the are spouse to help is increases the air flow in the car. if u have pulley's or other engine modes then u should upgrade to the Green to increase air flow. without restrictions.
sorry i have seen the k&N in action first hand and i would not recommend those to anyone, i would perfer the green over the k&N any day. the green is a fully cotton filter edge to edge.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
For anyone who has invested in an aftermarket filter and supporting equipment... more power to you (figuratively of course). For someone thinking about doing it, these threads are very instructive. We perhaps don't need two of them in stereo!
Amen to that brother

I was just trying to show the about MAF's. It's not the filters that do it, but people that think if a little oil is good, alot has to be better

And yeah, did anyone really think K/N would say there product blows up electronics

See yeah
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Is there any evidence that any fuel injected Mercedes engine is "starved" for air? Where's the evidence that supplying "more" air than the stock system to a fuel injected Mercedes engine does anything for performance?

These aren't Holley or Weber carbs sitting on the intakes. Air and fuel are "metered" by the fuel injection system, controlled by the ECU and delivered to each injector. Does anyone believe that an air filter, provided it's not clogged with dirt and debris, is going to allow the engine to generate more HP?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by MTI
Is there any evidence that any fuel injected Mercedes engine is "starved" for air? Where's the evidence that supplying "more" air than the stock system to a fuel injected Mercedes engine does anything for performance?

These aren't Holley or Weber carbs sitting on the intakes. Air and fuel are "metered" by the fuel injection system, controlled by the ECU and delivered to each injector. Does anyone believe that an air filter, provided it's not clogged with dirt and debris, is going to allow the engine to generate more HP?
I do not follow your statements. Just because these are fuel injected cars controlled by ECUs does not mean that air flow is not directly related to power output.

Yes, replacing a restrictive stock filter with a high flow one can allow the engine to generate more hp.

However, are the factory MB filters restrictive? . . . I doubt it.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM

04 C32 Silver
haha all these filter talk...

here is my S2000... who needs a filter?!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Amg C32
yo ken

yo ken, do you go to friday night meets with s2ki bayarea krew? I have k&N its fine. As long as you don't go off road with your C32.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Harry Madan

not true, the K&N filter works better as it get's dirtier, so if u clean the filter it will be not as effective as it should be. and u will have to oil the filter to some level since it is cloth about 70-80% cotton, it will require some oil or it will rip and then become useless.

if u are looking to get a good air filter in ur car i would recommend spending a little bit more money and getting Green filters. they are a lot better then K&N and un-like the K&N which requires cleaning every 100,000K u will need to clean the green every 5000-10,000K's as it gets dirty. but they are at there max efficiency out of the box. un-like the K&N whit will be at its max efficiency at about 50,000K or higher. (the more dirtier they get the better they work)
Not true, ALL dry filters are generally more efficient with a dust cake on them. As for the oil and tearing?? The oil is there to attract the dust particles to stick to the filter. K&N and Green are generally the same filter with a little difference in weave pattern, the cottons are generally the same no matter what green pitches. Pleating of the filter is important as well and there are small differences between the two.

Yes, green had a problem with the filters sucking under a negative. The problem was with the rubber gasket material they used. Supposedly it was changed a year ago. I have had no problems with my Green Filters.

If anyone really wants to measure the difference between the Green, K&N and stock paper filter, hook up a differential pressure gauge after so many hours on each fitler and measure the pressure drop across the filter. The stock filter will loose because it traps more smaller micron particles (5 -10 micron range) than the K&N and Green.

If trapping most of the dust induced into the motor is what your trying to accomplish go with stock OE fitlers. If you want more airflow (more performance) go with K&N or Green. Yes more fine particles may get through but its questionable as to damaging the engine. When your talking 5-10 micron dust, remember that a piece of hair is 100 micron in width -- your talking really fine dust here.....
Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MTI
I would say yes since a filter that has dust entrapped in it will limit cfm (1000 cfm vs 989 cfm) into the engine and provide less fuel based on the ECU calculating air to fuel ratio....less performanace. Noticable to most, probably not. Noticable to a dyno, probably.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Dont mean to hijack the thread but it seems some ppl on the SLK55 forum also use the BMC filters, anyone have experience with those? since the engine are the same.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
I've had K&Ns on several of my cars in the past but my current RSX Type-S and C32 don't have them, nor will they ever.

For one thing, I think they're vastly overrated and overhyped. Thanks to expensive and effective advertising in enthusiast publications, the first thing most novice gearheads do is rush out to the auto parts store and buy one of these things, thinking they just added 50 horsepower or whatever it is K&N claims for that particular model. But despite the hype, I've never seen the company's power numbers actually backed up. I think the gains you get are small -- at best. How K&N can make the claims it does is beyond me.

Second, while they are probably fine "out of the box," most owners either over-oil them (which causes problems with the car's electronic sensors) or under-oil them (which means dirt flows freely into your engine). I had an Active Autowerks air intake system on my E36 M3 and when it came time to service the filter, I ended up tossing it and replacing it with a new one -- after I failed to find a boring old paper element. Good luck finding a non-K&N filter for most aftermarket air intake systems. K&N is now so prolific you can't.

In short, I wouldn't per se be worried but if my C32 had one, I'd probably replace it with the standard paper unit. The only reason to get one is if you have an aftermarket intake which only takes a K&N and, even then, I'd try to find an alternative. Unfortunately, most aftermarket "performance" filters use the same general concept of oil as a filter medium.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by Slater126
I've had K&Ns on several of my cars in the past but my current RSX Type-S and C32 don't have them, nor will they ever.

For one thing, I think they're vastly overrated and overhyped. Thanks to expensive and effective advertising in enthusiast publications, the first thing most novice gearheads do is rush out to the auto parts store and buy one of these things, thinking they just added 50 horsepower or whatever it is K&N claims for that particular model. But despite the hype, I've never seen the company's power numbers actually backed up. I think the gains you get are small -- at best. How K&N can make the claims it does is beyond me.

Second, while they are probably fine "out of the box," most owners either over-oil them (which causes problems with the car's electronic sensors) or under-oil them (which means dirt flows freely into your engine). I had an Active Autowerks air intake system on my E36 M3 and when it came time to service the filter, I ended up tossing it and replacing it with a new one -- after I failed to find a boring old paper element. Good luck finding a non-K&N filter for most aftermarket air intake systems. K&N is now so prolific you can't.

In short, I wouldn't per se be worried but if my C32 had one, I'd probably replace it with the standard paper unit. The only reason to get one is if you have an aftermarket intake which only takes a K&N and, even then, I'd try to find an alternative. Unfortunately, most aftermarket "performance" filters use the same general concept of oil as a filter medium.
So what exactly is the reason you dont use them...?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
They are SAFE:

See yeah

I have proof of gains!
If you install only the K&N sticker under hood you get 5 HP.
If you install the K&N sticker on the outside of your car 7 HP.
K&N filters speak volumes on the gullibility of some people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IS K&N safe for C32 ?