C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

oill change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 '02 silver 70K
Oil level - reading is off by approx. .5 qts - ALWAYS

Remember, you never get all the oil SUCKED OUT.

I change oil/filter and replace it with 8 quarts, followed by a reading with my (home-made) dipstick and electronic reading as well.

Next I add LESS THAN 1/2 quart....or about that much and repeat the reading. When I get to 8.3 - stop. I measure in the morning (overnight has cleared the upper regions...). AVOID OVERFILL. Doing this every 5K; it's inexpensive and my car/any car "loves it". 10K oilchange is a MARKETING thing; how can anyone trust it - look at other shortcuts!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Can't speak for the other members, but I never have to add a quart between changes.

Get yours up to "oil level okay" pronto! After that, no worries regardless... they are hell-bent for strong.
Never added oil here either. The computer is an AWFUL way to keep track of oil level. Gimme a dipstick!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM

2005 C55 with Nav
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Never added oil here either. The computer is an AWFUL way to keep track of oil level. Gimme a dipstick!
Here you guys on a home-made dipstick -- How do I get one for a C55?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Uhhhm. Correction. Last night I checked the oil and had to add a quart.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Dipstick would definitely be preferred... does anyone know if there's one from an old MBZ or AMG that someone knows will fit? I'm sure a custom one could be made if there aren't any off the shelf.

Also, I usually do all my oil changes as I don't trust mechanics, and since I track most my cars anyway I figure WTF. So far, I've let the dealer handle them on AMG for warranty & ease of not removing the belly pan (ya I'm getting lazy). This weekend I did it myself just for grins, as I was doing some other mods as well, and I decided to jack it up & pull the drain plugs just to get out any metal filings. Well guess what? I learned the dealer has NEVER pulled the plugs, and was using the extractor pump for every change! The drain plugs were virgin fresh. So, there's really NO benefit in taking it to the dealer if you have an extraction pump at home.

BTW, the C55 has 2 drain plugs in the pan. One on the small front sump & another on the main rear sump. This front sump will NOT be drained using an extractor pump.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by rbaker
Dipstick would definitely be preferred... does anyone know if there's one from an old MBZ or AMG that someone knows will fit? I'm sure a custom one could be made if there aren't any off the shelf.

Also, I usually do all my oil changes as I don't trust mechanics, and since I track most my cars anyway I figure WTF. So far, I've let the dealer handle them on AMG for warranty & ease of not removing the belly pan (ya I'm getting lazy). This weekend I did it myself just for grins, as I was doing some other mods as well, and I decided to jack it up & pull the drain plugs just to get out any metal filings. Well guess what? I learned the dealer has NEVER pulled the plugs, and was using the extractor pump for every change! The drain plugs were virgin fresh. So, there's really NO benefit in taking it to the dealer if you have an extraction pump at home.

BTW, the C55 has 2 drain plugs in the pan. One on the small front sump & another on the main rear sump. This front sump will NOT be drained using an extractor pump.
OK,... just completed my second oil change since this thread started. This time, I went under the C32 and did the plugs. There are definitely 2 plugs on the C32. I was shocked at how much work was involved. Had to remove 2 heat panel/shields just to get to the oil pan plugs. This time, I also got my filter from the dealership,... $25. Ouch! But I feel better using it over the one I got off the internet for the first change.

Maybe I'll alternate between methods, but it didn't appear that I got more out through the pan than I did the first time with the hand pump. I still put 8 Q's in, then did a dashboard check and it said everything was fine. Didn't have to open the 9th quart this time either.

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM

05 c55, 08 600rr
Originally Posted by rbaker

ive heard this too and this is the main reason i dont use a topsider and do the oil changes myself. i have just bought a ramp to do drain MOST of the oil from below.

can someone also verifiy that you CAN retrofit a dipstick? ive heard you can break off a sealed plastic cover and use some other mb dipstick as a dipstick for a c55.

is this true?

thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Good info guys thanks!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by edogger
Do most of you guys get your oil changed at the stealer or do you trust other private "shops" in your local areas?

2005 C55 AMG
Do it yourself. It gives you peace of mind plus you learn a little more about
your car.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
On

level ground which most shops and garages should be,Going out the top via a mityvac or topsider or the 2.5 gallon harbor freight topsider clone for $25 bucks you never have to worry about getting the drain plug into a position to drain the oil out properly,you also never have the nightmare if you don't diy of having some bozo stripping the plug as happens time and time again.
Fleece filter,mobil1 0w40 syn and 10k intervals out the top.Use the time saved to inspect other things and change your transmission fluid and filter.
That's one job you need to be under the car
ohlord