HiFlow IC Pump Kit for C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
HiFlow IC Pump Kit for C32

I am looking to offer a HiFlow pump kit for C32. My car already has Johnson pump that was installed by modifiying stock brackets and hoses.

So I am looking for a local, SoCal, stock C32 that I can develop a kit from.

Your only cost will be for the pump and associated hardware. I will donate the labor.

Please PM or call me if you are interested.

Thank you for listening.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by Vadim@GMGRacing
I am looking to offer a HiFlow pump kit for C32. My car already has Johnson pump that was installed by modifiying stock brackets and hoses.

So I am looking for a local, SoCal, stock C32 that I can develop a kit from.

Your only cost will be for the pump and associated hardware. I will donate the labor.

Please PM or call me if you are interested.

Thank you for listening.
Darn, just got my ford lightning pump delivered today.. and your a little too far for me..
Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by amgmark
Darn, just got my ford lightning pump delivered today.. and your a little too far for me..
I got the ford lightning pump too.. but I believe the Johnson pump is bigger and flows more water.

The ford "bosch" version is just the same as the MB with a different power pin connection.

I'm looking to upgrade my E55 pump, but from what I gather it does not really provide a benefit unless you add another core.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Vadim,

Can you make a kit from my C32 Coupe? I already bought a new Johnson CM90 pump (huge in comparison to the stock bosch pump). My car is basically the same as the C32 sedan, just a different bumper. I'm local in SoCal.

Edit: my coupe is not so stock and is also missing 2 extra doors.

Last edited by pshek; 07-21-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
I got the ford lightning pump too.. but I believe the Johnson pump is bigger and flows more water.

The ford "bosch" version is just the same as the MB with a different power pin connection.

I'm looking to upgrade my E55 pump, but from what I gather it does not really provide a benefit unless you add another core.
Johnson has replaced C090 with CM90, the problem is that is CM90 is bigger and will not fit C32s directly without cutting and trimming.

I am actually looking into using CM30, which is just about the same size as Bosch pump, but flows 30 LPM vs 15 LPM. On C32 or even 55s that should work just fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Vadim,

Can you make a kit from my C32 Coupe? I already bought a new Johnson CM90 pump (huge in comparison to the stock bosch pump). My car is basically the same as the C32 sedan, just a different bumper. I'm local in SoCal.
Call me.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Vadim, where were you a month ago? I had to have this upgrade custom fabbed. I would have saved a bundle with a kit.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Originally Posted by jgsx
Vadim, where were you a month ago? I had to have this upgrade custom fabbed. I would have saved a bundle with a kit.

I hear you brother. I will have my custom mounted CM90 done shortly. Waiting on a couple of final pieces to come in.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Good Luck to you guys. Make sure there are no air bubbles in the system.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Vadim - I'm down for one if it is a plug and play kit.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
It will be. I will add your name to my list. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 PM

It will be. I will add your name to my list. Thanks.
I'm down as well. What kind of price are you looking at?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
No pricing yet, but it will be affordable.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM

No pricing yet, but it will be affordable.
Great. Now I just have to figure out who is going to put it in my car.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
If you are in SoCal, we can do it for you. The kit will also be a DIY.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:38 PM

If you are in SoCal, we can do it for you. The kit will also be a DIY.
I'm in Vegas. I'm going to try and remember to call you tomorrow Vadim.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:27 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I am looking for a local, SoCal, stock C32...
Vadim, have you located a suitable fitment subject yet?

If not, with the season’s debilitating heat upon us, mine is in dire need of IAT reduction.
It’s available at your convenience.

I sent a PM. Perhaps the electronic spirits intervened...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Whats the point of a higher flowing IC pump if there is no increase in heat exchanger size or fluid capacity? I could see the benefit of this kind of modification if those other two items were addressed. It just seems like the return would be minimal. I cant imagine any kind of huge reduction in IA temps as a result of a larger pump. Just curious.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by code3smith
Whats the point of a higher flowing IC pump if there is no increase in heat exchanger size or fluid capacity? I could see the benefit of this kind of modification if those other two items were addressed. It just seems like the return would be minimal. I cant imagine any kind of huge reduction in IA temps as a result of a larger pump. Just curious.
From what I've been reading, you're absolutely right. But he did say he was putting a 'kit' together, so it's reasonable to assume there's either an additional or replacement core somewhere. EvoSport has an IAT kit that puts an 'additional' core right behind the front AMG bumper partially hidden by the black mesh. I saw somewhere else another solution completely replaced the stock core with a higher capacity core. Both used Johnson pumps!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by ericpd
From what I've been reading, you're absolutely right. But he did say he was putting a 'kit' together, so it's reasonable to assume there's either an additional or replacement core somewhere. EvoSport has an IAT kit that puts an 'additional' core right behind the front AMG bumper partially hidden by the black mesh. I saw somewhere else another solution completely replaced the stock core with a higher capacity core. Both used Johnson pumps!
Thats for the E55, not the C32. The kit he is referring to sounds like a bolt-in high flow pump kit.

Truth be told, I know a company that has a reasonably priced larger heat exchanger coming our for the C32 very shortly. This would work well in conjunction with a higher flowing pump.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I cant imagine any kind of huge reduction in IA temps...
The huge reduction you mention is clearly not going to result from a simple pump swap.

In any closed loop fluid heat exchange circuit, such as our intercoolers, the frequency at which the cooling medium passes through the heat exchanger, to a significant extent, determines its dissipation characteristics. As is always the case, the least effective piece in any link dictates its overall effectiveness.

One need only read the pertinent articles published over the years, be they from the SAE, David Vizard, Jeff Smith, Carroll Smith, Smokey Yunick or others with a hands-on (yet engineering based) background to realize that fluid flow often has a significant effect on the temperature at which a input dynamic heat exchange circuit establishes its ultimate fluid temperature.

Witness the E55 enthusiasts who have used a Johnson pump (not that kind!) to increase flow in their intercooler circuit with documented and favorable results. Perhaps another example might be those often heat-challenged operators (tow rig, high-output racers, etc.) that install a higher-flowing coolant pump on their engines with measurable improvement, without any other changes having been made.

It is well documented that a ten degree reduction in IAT results in ~1% increase in output, either from the increase in air density, or the reduction in the motor’s propensity toward spark knock. My datalogging software shows an inverse relationship between IATs, ignition timing retard, and RWHP as documented at the local dragstrip. I welcome advice and insight from those with differing results.

If the intercooler pump upgrade shows little or no improvement, then I’ll install a more efficient heat exchanger and document its effects, if any. Either way, the results will be posted.

*edit*
The E55 and its variants utilize virtually the same heat exchanger as our lowly C32s.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Thats for the E55, not the C32. The kit he is referring to sounds like a bolt-in high flow pump kit.

Truth be told, I know a company that has a reasonably priced larger heat exchanger coming our for the C32 very shortly. This would work well in conjunction with a higher flowing pump.
You're right. Just checked their site. It is ONLY for the E55. I thought I saw their kit was for both the C32 AND E55. Sorry, prolly assumed they had a version for both! I do know the other kit with that completely replaces the stock core (company name escapes me) IS for the C32. According to the pics posted on the site, their core sits right in front of the radiator and uses the existing plumping. I'd be very interested to see what he comes up with.

Last edited by ericpd; 07-28-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by splinter
The huge reduction you mention is clearly not going to result from a simple pump swap.

In any closed loop fluid heat exchange circuit, such as our intercoolers, the frequency at which the cooling medium passes through the heat exchanger, to a significant extent, determines its dissipation characteristics. As is always the case, the least effective piece in any link dictates its overall effectiveness.

One need only read the pertinent articles published over the years, be they from the SAE, David Vizard, Jeff Smith, Carroll Smith, Smokey Yunick or others with a hands-on (yet engineering based) background to realize that fluid flow often has a significant effect on the temperature at which a input dynamic heat exchange circuit establishes its ultimate fluid temperature.

Witness the E55 enthusiasts who have used a Johnson pump (not that kind!) to increase flow in their intercooler circuit with documented and favorable results. Perhaps another example might be those often heat-challenged operators (tow rig, high-output racers, etc.) that install a higher-flowing coolant pump on their engines with measurable improvement, without any other changes having been made.

It is well documented that a ten degree reduction in IAT results in ~1% increase in output, either from the increase in air density, or the reduction in the motor’s propensity toward spark knock. My datalogging software shows an inverse relationship between IATs, ignition timing retard, and RWHP as documented at the local dragstrip. I welcome advice and insight from those with differing results.

If the intercooler pump upgrade shows little or no improvement, then I’ll install a more efficient heat exchanger and document its effects, if any. Either way, the results will be posted.

*edit*
The E55 and its variants utilize virtually the same heat exchanger as our lowly C32s.
This is all very eloquent, but in the end, a larger pump will not be able to compete with a larger heat exchanger. You would see infinitely more benefit from a larger HE, or a larger reservoir, than just installing a high flow pump. A high flow pump is beneficial, but hardly on its own.

What kind of data are E55 guys seeing with only a johnson pump upgrade. I am talking stock E55 with an upgraded pump, and nothing more.

"then I’ll install a more efficient heat exchanger and document its effects, if any" - People have already done this with tremendously good results. I did the same upgrades on my Cobra (larger HE, and larger IC reservoir), and also had tremendously good results at the track.

All this car really needs, is a larger HE. Just ask smgc32. He regularly flogged his C32 at willow and constantly had the SC shutting off every few laps. After he had a custom HE made, he never saw IA temps above 130°, and could run back to back sessions with no issues. He had no larger reservoir, no larger pump. The only thing he did was increase the size of the lines to the IC. But thats it. The HE provided a little bit more fluid increase and significantly better cooling than the stock HE.

I just think the pump should be the last upgrade, not the first.

By the way, Steve sold his C32, and I bought his HE Its going on tomorrow. I have been datalogging with my autoenginuity software so I could get before and after results.

30x8x3

Last edited by Mr. Vanos; 08-02-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Original poster asked to remove member's real name
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet. The stock ic pump has a very high failure rate. Switching to the Johnson solves the most common C32 problem out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HiFlow IC Pump Kit for C32