C55 underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
C55 underdrive pulley

Anyone interested in underdrive pullies for your C55? Vrus is will sell us a set sans belt for $260 if we can get 5. 3 from the SLK55 secion have signed up so just need 2 more. They're just like the evosport ones but made by our local tuning master vrus who makes all those awesome E55 mods.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be interested. What is the price and HP increase? Any cooling issues or changes in running temp by running the water pump slower?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by spr
I might be interested. What is the price and HP increase? Any cooling issues or changes in running temp by running the water pump slower?
$260 + cost of belt. Should free up 10rwhp. Shouldn't be any issues with the pulleys and cooling. UD pullies are a popular mod for all sorts of cars. Evosport has been selling them for a long time a lot of members have them on thier cars and with no problems.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have heard numerous horror stories with the evo underdrives actually so I'll pass. I'm not interested in driving around with a spare belt or being stranded.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Originally Posted by spr
I have heard numerous horror stories with the evo underdrives actually so I'll pass. I'm not interested in driving around with a spare belt or being stranded.
What horror stories? I've had the Evo Pulleys on my C55 since it was a couple months old (thats almost 3 years now) and not a single problem. I'm not a slow driver either, and the car's been tracked 3-4 times with them on. They replace the alternator, power steering & water pump pulleys perfectly.

No problems of any sort.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I agree with rbaker. I had the evo sport udp's on my C43 for 2 years and transferred the same udp kit to my C55. I've been running it on the C55 for a year and a half. No problems whatever from either car. The evosport replacement belts are $20.00 each. At most, you will only need two before you sell your car.

However, the best engine mod I've done so far is the AMS performance, billet aluminum crank pulley (harmonic dampener). It freed up tons of hp for use at the rear wheels. Car accellerates faster, runs quiter, gets better gas millage and simply excells at 80 to 120 mph jumps. Talk to omey at abedinmotorsports.com, email at: sales@abedinmotorsports.com.

Regards,

Last edited by Tump43; 08-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 PM

e55
its best not to underdrive if you can avoid it. Lightweight stock diameter pulleys are best solution. You have a mercedes not a 1960s muscle car, theres a reason you paid that hefty pricetag (comfort). If you don't mine the minor changes though in comfort and want absolute max power then doing accesory pulley system + lightweight crank pulley is best combo money can buy. hope that helps
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 AM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 PWR
its best not to underdrive if you can avoid it. Lightweight stock diameter pulleys are best solution. You have a mercedes not a 1960s muscle car, theres a reason you paid that hefty pricetag (comfort). If you don't mine the minor changes though in comfort and want absolute max power then doing accesory pulley system + lightweight crank pulley is best combo money can buy. hope that helps
Simply lightening the crank pulleys seem like a better option if you want to stay on the safe side.

Tump43, how does the AMS and evosport pulley systems work together? Wouldn't it have to be one or the other since the parts would overlap each other?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 AM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
Simply lightening the crank pulleys seem like a better option if you want to stay on the safe side.

Tump43, how does the AMS and evosport pulley systems work together? Wouldn't it have to be one or the other since the parts would overlap each other?
IIRC the AMS just replaces the factory damper with a new design that is lighter. Nothing else. And the Evosport replace the accessory pulleys with lighter larger ones that slow them down. Why would these 2 be mutually exclusive? I can see no engineering reason why.

Also, I understand your point E55 PWR about this being a "Mercedes" and not a 60's muscle car, but if there are no charging, power steering, or water pump problems after putting on the underdrive pulleys (and no fit problems) then there is no harm. Especially if you drive the car harder & the RPM's are usually higher than the average street driver. I've had other cars that wear out the bearings in accessory parts (including German one's) as they're spinning too fast from track use. These should help reduce that problem. Mine have been on for 3 years with no problems. There are many other HP German makes that need at least an underdrive power steering pulley to prevent it from puking fluid on the track... ask me how I know.

Last edited by rbaker; 09-05-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 PM

e55

No, you can combine the two with no problems. AMS pulley was designed to be compatible with basically any set of modifications (even aftermarket supercharger kits). In fact doing both is the best way to get maximum power freed up by your pulley system as long as you don't mined the underdriving (some do some don't, its more of a personal preference thing).
Old 09-05-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 4Matic
Absolutely right! The evo sport pullies underdrive the waterpump, the alternator and the pwr steering slightly, requiring a shorter belt. The AMS crank pulley is exactly the same size as the OE crank pulley, except it is made of billet aluminum and quite a bit lighter. This means that you will not have to change the length of the belt you have on your car, regardless of your prior mods.

So far with my car, the engine is much more efficient. It reaches optimal rev's much more quickly with less noise and less drama. The car accelerates quicker and gets better gas mileage while seeming to be slower (deceptive).

In three years, I have not once had a problem with my steering wheel being too tight to turn, my car overheating or my stock stereo not cranking, much less my battery not having enough juice to start the car. This is on both my prior C43 and current C55.

I my opinion the evosport udp's and the AMS billet crank pulley are a fantastic combination that will extend the life of an engine (like mine) that is driven very hard.

The only problem that may be related, I don't know though, is that my xenon head light bulbs keep flickering on my C55 requiring the Stealer to replace them under warranty (they don't know from pullies).

Any opinions as to whether slightly less juice from the alternator could cause this?

Last edited by Tump43; 09-05-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tump43
Absolutely right! The evo sport pullies underdrive the waterpump, the alternator and the pwr steering slightly, requiring a shorter belt. The AMS crank pulley is exactly the same size as the OE crank pulley, except it is made of billet aluminum and quite a bit lighter. This means that you will not have to change the length the the belt you have on your car, regardless of your prior mods.

So far with my car, the engine is much more efficient. It reaches optimal rev's much more quickly with less noise and less drama. The car accelerates quicker and gets better gas millage while seeming to be slower (deceptive).

In three years, I have not once had a problem with my steering wheel being too tight to turn, my car overheating or my stock stereo not cranking, much less my battery not having enough juice to start the car. This is on both my prior C43 and current C55.

I my opinion the evosport udp's and the AMS billet crank pulley are a fantastic combination that will extend the life of an engine (like mine) that is driven very hard.

The only problem that may be related, I don't know though, is that my xenon head light bulbs keep flickering on my C55 requiring the Stealer to replace them under warranty (they don't know from pullies).

Any opinions as to whether slightly less juice from the alternator could cause this?

Um any idea how much power both of them together add? You said earlier that it seemed like the AMS pulley added more power then the evo sport. Also how much does the AMS cost?

Does anyone know if evo sport offers OE size but lighter pulleys for the steering, waterpump and alternator so these systems don't have to be under driven, but you'll still get some improvement since they'll reduce rotational mass?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM

e55
Um any idea how much power both of them together add? You said earlier that it seemed like the AMS pulley added more power then the evo sport. Also how much does the AMS cost?

Does anyone know if evo sport offers OE size but lighter pulleys for the steering, waterpump and alternator so these systems don't have to be under driven, but you'll still get some improvement since they'll reduce rotational mass?

The problem is with accessory pulley system you are shaving off ounces not pounds. Almost all the gains from acessory pulley systems are from underdriving. For crank pulleys its opposite, almost all gains are from weight reduction. Thats why together they make a good combo but again some prefer one to other, but the option to have both is there.

Crank pulleys are deceptive in nature a bit b/c they improve the low end to mid range much more so the power is much more linear from idle to redline. As a result you don't feel like the engine is accelerating slower at low rpms and then picks up once it gets into the power band. With a crank pulley you basically are almost always in the power band so you don't feel that "shift" or transition as much as in a car without it. In race though it becomes blatantly obvious that the car is accelerating much quicker than before (that and tires light up MUCH easier than before b/c you have so much more torque at lower rpms, so you may have to address traction as well via better tires).

In a nut shell, accessory pulley systems only make power at high rpms b/c they need rpms to free up power, the more rpms, the bigger difference between stock & underdriven. Crank pulleys work as a function of torque, not rpm so they make maximum gains at maximum torque (where peak cylinder pressures are reached, typically 3000-4000rpm). Crank pulley address the areas that accessory systems simply cannot. They still make power at top end too but not as much as the low to mid range. Accessory pulleys help maintain power at high rpms and prevent that dropoff after peak power, crank pulleys give you that torque pull that pushes you back in your seat. Two different ways of making power, both proven, both effective; the choice is up to the consumer as to which they prefer (or both). The two together though are the best combo possible and it will improve the entire powerband from idle to redline.

hope that helps

Last edited by E55 PWR; 09-05-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM

Bicycle
[QUOTE=bfnnrgn;2384375]Anyone interested in underdrive pullies for your C55? Vrus is will sell us a set sans belt for $260 if we can get 5. 3 from the SLK55 secion have signed up so just need 2 more. They're just like the evosport ones but made by our local tuning master vrus who makes all those awesome E55 mods. [/QUOT

hello i was wondering how much was it for the pulley and belt. also how long
would it take to get it.thank you
Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM

e55
you talking about the crank pulley?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Anyone interested in underdrive pullies for your C55? Vrus is will sell us a set sans belt for $260 if we can get 5. 3 from the SLK55 secion have signed up so just need 2 more. They're just like the evosport ones but made by our local tuning master vrus who makes all those awesome E55 mods.
Sign me up. I was almost going to purchase the Evosport UDP for $379 + tax + $18 shipping but decided that I will most likely need a different length belt since I have an HPS SC kit on my car. Let me know when he agrees and I will Paypal the money to him. I also asked him about a 80mm TB and larger Airbox but he has not responded yet.

I just ordered the AMS crank pulley for NON-KOMPRESSOR V-8s but I'm not sure if I should have ordered the KOMPRESSOR version. What is the difference other than the $100 price difference?

Last edited by AMGSC; 09-23-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I'm game let me know the details
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 PM

e55
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Sign me up. I was almost going to purchase the Evosport UDP for $379 + tax + $18 shipping but decided that I will most likely need a different length belt since I have an HPS SC kit on my car. Let me know when he agrees and I will Paypal the money to him. I also asked him about a 80mm TB and larger Airbox but he has not responded yet.

I just ordered the AMS crank pulley for NON-KOMPRESSOR V-8s but I'm not sure if I should have ordered the KOMPRESSOR version. What is the difference other than the $100 price difference?

No, HPS superchargers usually run off stock crank pulley so you do not need an additional pulley groove. You chose the righ tone, the non-kompressor one is the one you need for aftermarket SC. The Kompressor pulleys are much larger and required much more machining and raw material hence the extra price premium. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
Absolutely right! The evo sport pullies underdrive the waterpump, the alternator and the pwr steering slightly, requiring a shorter belt.
The evosport underdrive pullies(water pump, alternator and pwr steering) are all larger in diameter than the stock pullies and thus require a longer belt. Do your homework right
Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by mertd93
The evosport underdrive pullies(water pump, alternator and pwr steering) are all larger in diameter than the stock pullies and thus require a longer belt. Do your homework right
In a C32, not a C55.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM

04 E55 B07
In a C32, not a C55.
On any M113, that includes the C55. I have them on my car as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
C32 is a M112, C55 is a M113. the C32 does not require a longer belt.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM

04 E55 B07
Originally Posted by rlee02135
C32 is a M112, C55 is a M113. the C32 does not require a longer belt.
I thought this thread was about the C55, sorry I missed where the C32 came from, I wasn't talking about the C32. I don't see a C32 being mentioned in this whole thread

Last edited by mertd93; 09-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by mertd93
I thought this thread was about the C55, sorry I missed where the C32 came from, I wasn't talking about the C32.
in post #20 Tump43 was talking about the C32..
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by E55 PWR
No, HPS superchargers usually run off stock crank pulley so you do not need an additional pulley groove. You chose the righ tone, the non-kompressor one is the one you need for aftermarket SC. The Kompressor pulleys are much larger and required much more machining and raw material hence the extra price premium. Hope that helps.
Thanks Buddy! Now I hope the Vrus UPD can also match the HPS kit.