Boost Controllers???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question Boost Controllers???

Ok I know this 22 year old that seems to have extensive knowledge on building and tuning cars and I asked for a cheaper alternative to pulleys, header, tune, etc.etc.etc. He felt that a boost controller is what he would do. So I ask has anyone tried this route? He said out the factory cars that are turboed or supercharged come preset with lower boost. I by no means am a engine techguy so I usually follow JGSX, 1FASTC32, AMGJERRY and countless other power minded people but would like to try his reccommendation to see what happens but wanted to ask before I try to see if it was tried before. Gonna try a search now to see if anything is mentioned. Thanks.

He mentioned something that he thinks its about 10-15hp gain by increasing the boost up by one. If our cars set boost is 14psi....that means an increase possibly by 60-90 hp gain by a simple device manager.

Last edited by c32used; 09-19-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Please don't take advice from your friend lol.

Boost in our cars is directly related to pulley sizes.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Ok thats why I asked first thanks for the advise Codesmith!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i've never heard of boost controllers for supercharged cars. only turbocharged cars. my good buddy has tons of experience building cars, especially boosted ones. increased your boost using a boost controller works, but there are other things that have to be taken into account. this usually requires modification of the ECU. i recall when my buddy had his 11 second turbo GSX, he had to reconfigure his ECU on his laptop (its called a Megasquirt if i remember correctly) and he had to adjust different ratios such as A/F and what not to ensure the car doesnt misfire and runs correctly. you dont want a spin a rod bearing or anything bad. from what i have been told my by buddy, boost controllers do not work for our car. like previously stated, only the pulley works here.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Talking

Originally Posted by jturkel
i've never heard of boost controllers for supercharged cars. only turbocharged cars. my good buddy has tons of experience building cars, especially boosted ones. increased your boost using a boost controller works, but there are other things that have to be taken into account. this usually requires modification of the ECU. i recall when my buddy had his 11 second turbo GSX, he had to reconfigure his ECU on his laptop (its called a Megasquirt if i remember correctly) and he had to adjust different ratios such as A/F and what not to ensure the car doesnt misfire and runs correctly. you dont want a spin a rod bearing or anything bad. from what i have been told my by buddy, boost controllers do not work for our car. like previously stated, only the pulley works here.
Thanks all advise is extremely appreciated...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM

SLK32
The Honda crowd has or had a boost controller for their Jackson & whatever other SC offerings are on the market.

The key to building a boost controller for an SC car vs. a turbo is that the boost controller can only bleed boost. You will still need to run a larger pulley if you want to get more HP out of the car.

So if we had this SC boost controller and you were running a custom pulley designed to hit 26psi. Well you could set the controller to bleed boost at anything past 20psi. This would let you hit your 20psi sooner than if you were running say the LET pulley. Of course you might not have a good day if the boost controller failed.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by 430
The Honda crowd has or had a boost controller for their Jackson & whatever other SC offerings are on the market.

The key to building a boost controller for an SC car vs. a turbo is that the boost controller can only bleed boost. You will still need to run a larger pulley if you want to get more HP out of the car.

So if we had this SC boost controller and you were running a custom pulley designed to hit 26psi. Well you could set the controller to bleed boost at anything past 20psi. This would let you hit your 20psi sooner than if you were running say the LET pulley. Of course you might not have a good day if the boost controller failed.
Boost controllers interrupt the boost level going to the waste gate. We don't have a waste gate.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jgsx
Boost controllers interrupt the boost level going to the waste gate. We don't have a waste gate.
Hey jgsx:

Nor do we want one

A waste gate is simply a device to PREVENT over boosting.
Blowers and turbos are differnt animals. Blowers build boost by compressor size, ie volume, and rpm. This is why you run a bigger pulley, more rpms, on the same size volume, ie more boost pressure.

Turbos rely on exhaust pressure, again using the internal turbo voulume, buch with a greater rpm variant. More rpm impeller speed, more boost, hence a waste gate. This is why a turbo NEEDS/REQUIRES a waste gate, because of the EXTREME variant in impeller rpm, 60,000-well over 100,000.

Oh well, I could write pages here

See yeah
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM

MB
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
...This is why a turbo NEEDS/REQUIRES a waste gate, because of the EXTREME variant in impeller rpm, 60,000-well over 100,000.
I am looking forward to the day when the variable turbine geometry (VTG) turbos become more affordable which would negate the use of the wastegate.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey jgsx:

Nor do we want one

... This is why you run a bigger pulley, more rpms, on the same size volume, ie more boost pressure....
Don't you mean a smaller pulley? I thought pulley sets change two or more pulley wheels so that that s/c pulley wheels is smaller so that engine RPM is translated into more s/c RPM? Or is it that the main crank pulley is made larger, overspinning all pulley wheels?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Don't you mean a smaller pulley? I thought pulley sets change two or more pulley wheels so that that s/c pulley wheels is smaller so that engine RPM is translated into more s/c RPM? Or is it that the main crank pulley is made larger, overspinning all pulley wheels?
The latter is correct.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Yeah Fifth:

Me bad

I ment Larger crank pulley, and yes that means, EVERYTHING spins faster, as we can't change to a smaller blower pulley due to the clutch

Changing all the other pullies simply keeps thing at or near stock speed, ie larger crank, larger water pump, and or allows use of the same belt, Larger crank, smaller idler,etc, etc. Differnt companies take differnt approaches as to how MANY of the accesories get changed.

You get the point my friend

See yeah
Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
The latter
Ok Frasier
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by jgsx
If I remember correctly the SC boost controller I am referencing either electronically controlls the bypass valve or adds its own.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by 430
If I remember correctly the SC boost controller I am referencing either electronically controlls the bypass valve or adds its own.
Forcing our blower to produce more boost, then bleeding it off would be very inefficient. In THEORY one could use a larger pulley, then use a PWM controller on the clutch engage signal to modulate the boost to a lower level. I don't think the clutch would have a quick enough response time, and if it did, it would wear out very quickly.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:01 PM

SLK32
I am not advocating running the boost controller. I am simply pointing out that while not common at least one company has built a boost controller for an SC'd application.