Sprint Booster Help/mass air burned up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Sprint Booster Help/mass air burned up

Hi guys I got the sprint booster for my C55 and I installed it...Well the car drove nice for a few mins then my check engine light came on and I started to have Idle speed fluctuation next thing, the car is turning off. I took off the sprint booster and reset the ecu...I'm now still getting the check engine light.
So, I go to the dealer...my friend who is a tech tells me the mass air has gone bad on the car...I email the vendor and he explains that these cars have a tendency to do this. He also explains that when you replace the mass air the car will be fine and to put the sprint booster on again. I like the way the car drove but i dont want to break down again or burn the mass air up.
Keep in mind this car has had 0 issues with electrical or mechanical problems ever. The seller is ver fair he is willing to refund my money if I want "very good thing" but I want to know if this has happen to anyone else.
please chime in..I would hate to send it back honestly the car drives like it has 50 more hp 100% snappier
Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by Mikegpr03
Hi guys I got the sprint booster for my C55 and I installed it...Well the car drove nice for a few mins then my check engine light came on and I started to have Idle speed fluctuation next thing, the car is turning off. I took off the sprint booster and reset the ecu...I'm now still getting the check engine light.
So, I go to the dealer...my friend who is a tech tells me the mass air has gone bad on the car...I email the vendor and he explains that these cars have a tendency to do this. He also explains that when you replace the mass air the car will be fine and to put the sprint booster on again. I like the way the car drove but i dont want to break down again or burn the mass air up.
Keep in mind this car has had 0 issues with electrical or mechanical problems ever. The seller is ver fair he is willing to refund my money if I want "very good thing" but I want to know if this has happen to anyone else.
please chime in..I would hate to send it back honestly the car drives like it has 50 more hp 100% snappier
The two events are unrelated.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
According to the vendor of the sprint booster it does..Do you have a sprint booster, use one, or are you familiar with this issue? do you have a c55????
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
According to the vendor of the sprint booster it does..
I really doubt that. The booster and MAF are unrelated.

Do you know what the CE code was? Was it was for the MAF? The only thing the booster could trigger is a throttle position error code.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
the sprint booster opens the throttle faster there for increasing velocity to the mass air...
it was code# P2004-008 and the p0101 found that the air mass singnal wire was faulty. singanl voltage was check with HFM-SFI voltage was found that out of specs 1.051 volts
techs notes by the way..
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
the sprint booster opens the throttle faster there for increasing velocity to the mass air...
it was code# P2004-008 and the p0101 found that the air mass singnal wire was faulty. singanl voltage was check with HFM-SFI voltage was found that out of specs 1.051 volts
techs notes by the way..
I don't buy that. The booster does not actually allow the car to open the throttle any quicker than a stock car is capable of. The booster wouldn't cause the air velocity pass the MAF any differently then a stock car is capable of.

What exactly is your question? It sounds like you already made up you mind on what the problem is.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 AM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
There's very little chance the sprint booster had any relation to the MAF failing. The MAF probably got dirty or oily. Do you use aftermarket air filters that are oiled? That can do it. IF the MAF is shot & the dealer won't replace it, you could try cleaning it with CRC MAF cleaner spray. It's been known to help in some cases.

On the other hand, why anyone would pay good money for a "device" like this that simply depresses the throttle pedal further is beyond reason... on most other boards the sprint booster has been blown apart for a rip off since you get the same effect just by pressing the gas pedal farther, and without it you actually have greater ability to modulate the throttle during cornering or when the wheels are spinning. It makes the car no faster... this used to be a trick used by auto makers (fast ramp throttle cam) to fool drivers of slow cars into thinking they were faster than they actually were.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I see what you guys are saying however I am mearly going by what the vendor emailed to me. He said that cars such as mercedes have had issues with the sprint booster that are mass air related. My car is 100% stock all I had was the "sprintbooster". The factory air filters are in the car. I am getting the car back today from the MB dealer, they put a new mass air on it. And the tech says the car is snappier and more responsive with the new mass air. My car is an 05 with 11.347miles...At times my car whould for some reason "cutoff" like if you hit a fuel cut off. Maybe this was all related. I dont see how a mass air is going to go bad "just like that" It just so happens that it goes the sec i put this thing in my car???. I know the car is making more power but I like a faster throttle response...The MB throttle in my humble opinion is way way too laggy. Are MB mass air's on these cars "AMG 55's" this crappy?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Liberty
I see what you guys are saying however I am mearly going by what the vendor emailed to me. He said that cars such as mercedes have had issues with the sprint booster that are mass air related. My car is 100% stock all I had was the "sprintbooster". The factory air filters are in the car. I am getting the car back today from the MB dealer, they put a new mass air on it. And the tech says the car is snappier and more responsive with the new mass air. My car is an 05 with 11.347miles...At times my car whould for some reason "cutoff" like if you hit a fuel cut off. Maybe this was all related. I dont see how a mass air is going to go bad "just like that" It just so happens that it goes the sec i put this thing in my car???. I know the car is making more power but I like a faster throttle response...The MB throttle in my humble opinion is way way too laggy. Are MB mass air's on these cars "AMG 55's" this crappy?
Yes, they are that sensitive. All the above is true except that the MAS was found defective as a direct result of the SprintBooster. In the end of the day the MAS is a sensor. I have replaced them both in my C230 and my C32 AMG. Both were about $600.00 for a small light piece of plastic. What you experienced when it failed is correct. The sensor will affect timing, emissions and I am told even shift points. It actually makes your car feel extremely sluggush and idle very rough when it fails. The above mentioned comment regarding after market filters is also true (I know you don't have them). K&N filters tend to be more oily (new in box) than Green Air Filters, which is why they are recommended over K&N, but they are up to you to oil during cleaning. If the oil gets on the MAS it will fail. Sometimes a MAS cleaning can fix the problem, but on supercharged cars there is such a strong air draw it is hard not to get oil residue from filters onto the MAS. Just a thought if you do decide to get filters one day as well (always oil the filters lightly).
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by StormC32
Yes, they are that sensitive. All the above is true except that the MAS was found defective as a direct result of the SprintBooster. In the end of the day the MAS is a sensor. I have replaced them both in my C230 and my C32 AMG. Both were about $600.00 for a small light piece of plastic. What you experienced when it failed is correct. The sensor will affect timing, emissions and I am told even shift points. It actually makes your car feel extremely sluggush and idle very rough when it fails. The above mentioned comment regarding after market filters is also true (I know you don't have them). K&N filters tend to be more oily (new in box) than Green Air Filters, which is why they are recommended over K&N, but they are up to you to oil during cleaning. If the oil gets on the MAS it will fail. Sometimes a MAS cleaning can fix the problem, but on supercharged cars there is such a strong air draw it is hard not to get oil residue from filters onto the MAS. Just a thought if you do decide to get filters one day as well (always oil the filters lightly).
Okay, you seem to have some issues mixed up here

#1 There is NO mass air flow sensor on a C32
#2 K/N's DO NOT HURT MAF"S, I have run them on every car I have EVER owned with NO problems. Check their website and they GUARENTEE this fact.
Keep in mind that it usually is JOHN DOE, that thinks if a little oil is good, A LOT IS BETTER that causes this issue. However K/N shows a video of SPRAYING oil on a MAF and IT STILL WORKS!

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Oh well, just wanted to strighten this up a little

See yeah

PS: I do not work or have stock in K/N's by the way
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Ok I will connect the "sprintbooster' today when I get the car form MB. However When I tookthe car a couple of days prevs..for a ashtray lip I mention ed to the tech that the car was a bit slugish from time to time. He said the car took an update this time when the mass air was broken. i still dont understand what the hell is an update or a flash. Sounds to me like the car has a windows OS in that case I'll take apple OS for my MB
Seriously Whats up with this update?

Does anyone have a sprintbooster on an C55
Input will be welcomed
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Liberty
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay, you seem to have some issues mixed up here

#1 There is NO mass air flow sensor on a C32
#2 K/N's DO NOT HURT MAF"S, I have run them on every car I have EVER owned with NO problems. Check their website and they GUARENTEE this fact.
Keep in mind that it usually is JOHN DOE, that thinks if a little oil is good, A LOT IS BETTER that causes this issue. However K/N shows a video of SPRAYING oil on a MAF and IT STILL WORKS!

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Oh well, just wanted to strighten this up a little

See yeah

PS: I do not work or have stock in K/N's by the way
I did have the comment about My C32 MAS confussed, in fact I went back to my records and it was something different.

However, my C230 did have a MAS and I don't care if you have had K&N's in all your cars or not, worked for K&N or are just endorsing them as you mention. They DID in fact affect my MAS sensor (proven by performance shop and Mercedes dealer). I won't waste time debating you on this, after about $800.00 in testing at both shops, I firmly know what the problem was. Your experience vs mine, nothing will change that. Check the website? It's called marketing!