C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dropped 39lbs off the front end, prelude to next project...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Dropped 39lbs off the front end, prelude to next project...

Well I wanted to show everyone what I was up to. Obviously the heat exchanger is on its way. Along those same lines, I am working on a new IC Reservoir. The new reservoir is huge. It will be all aluminum, plus, it is completely isolated from the heat of the engine! Want to dump ice in it for the drag strip, no problem. The kit will include the necessary plumbing to separate the IC circuit as well. The stock reservoir stays in the same place. So whats the catch? Well, I am using an Odyssey PC680 Battery. I realized the current battery compartment is the perfect location for a reservoir. I also realized that the stock Mercedes battery was nothing special, and a behemoth. So today I embarked on the next project. I already mocked up the new reservoir, which will also include a built in battery tray for the Odyssey battery. The Mercedes battery weighs a whopping 54.5lbs! The new Odyssey battery only weighs 15.5lbs...I didn't include any pictures of the mockup for obvious reasons just yet. However I wanted to show the difference between the batteries, and the kind of room that is available after the swap. I created a custom bracket as a temporary solution for keeping it in place. The car starts perfectly, and drives perfectly. Voltage is the same. Enjoy the pictures!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Sweet! Good thinking! Where did you get that battery from? I'm expecting mine to kick the bucket sometime, being that it the original (02).
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I bought the battery from a store called "Batteries Plus". You can find them on eBay, and various other online retailers. Even though the battery cost a little bit more from the store, it came with a three year warranty. Any problems, and they replace it. I actually bought this battery for my PT Cruiser Turbo when I wanted a true CAI. I ran it for a few months with no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran one of these on my evo8...great battery! brandon, will this thing run the C32 with no problems long term? i have been wondering about doing something like this, although i am enjoying the optima battery in the spare tire well...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I would say yes. The specs are just as good, and better, as the stock battery. Like I said, I ran this battery for months in my PT Cruiser with no issues at all. It never failed me once. So far, the battery is fine in the C32. I will be running it from now on, so I will definitely report on how its doing. I can say so far, the car starts perfect, voltage is normal, and its as if nothing has changed. Although, I almost killed myself today lol. When I was fabbing the bracket, I was checking fitment, and accidentally moved the bracket into both terminals...You can imagine the ensuing screaming like a girl as I got shocked and threw the bracket across the driveway lol...

Here are the specs. They are awesome. Some people say the Braille battery is better, but so far I like these a lot.

PC 680 Specs:

* 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
* 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
* 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
* 17 amp hours
* Short circuit current over 1800A
* 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
* Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
* Length 7 1/16"
* Width 3"
* Height 6 9/16"
* Weighs less than 15 lbs

Odyssey design:

* 2 year full warranty
* Rugged Drycell sealed design
* Military grade
* Vibration resistant
* 60% more starting power
* Deep discharge reserve power
* 2 year storage life
* 8-12 year design life
* Can be mounted flat or upright
Old 09-22-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
very nice brandon!

you are really making a difference around this board...

separate the IC HE from the engine coolant would be ideal for the best results.

Its a good time to have a C32!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:19 PM
OPM

Odyssey PC680 is a good battery. If you drive your car regularly it will work reliably. The only concern is very cold climates combined with prolong inactivity. So if you live up North and like to go on long vacations during winter, it might be prudent to disconnect the battery, bring it indoors and hook it up to an intelligent trickle charger. However, if you want a lightweight battery I recommend Deka ETX14. It’s a bit more powerful, about 4lb lighter and costs under $60. For another $60 you can get a nice aluminum bracket for it that will pass SCCA and NASA race inspections.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
I have that battery in my CRX and have run it in the C32 at the track, but I would never put that in my C32 as a daily driver. In the CRX it gets weak after 4 days of non use and doubt it would start the C32 after that time. In the 4 years of it being in the CRX I have probably had the battery charger on it 30 times.

40lbs of weight is not that much on a 3700lb car.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
...40lbs of weight is not that much on a 3700lb car.
Yeah but it adds up quick to lower E/Ts. I did the same with the Odyssey but the stock 2006 battery weighed even a little more. Then delete the spare and save 45, resonator and save 10, perf silences and save 25. All of a sudden it's over 100 pounds and that's worth something. And then 3582 curb weight becomes 3472. Great thread! I just put a tight shock cord over mine, your setup is MUCH better.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I have that battery in my CRX and have run it in the C32 at the track, but I would never put that in my C32 as a daily driver. In the CRX it gets weak after 4 days of non use and doubt it would start the C32 after that time. In the 4 years of it being in the CRX I have probably had the battery charger on it 30 times.

40lbs of weight is not that much on a 3700lb car.
Well the C32 is my daily driver, so it never sits for 4 days. I ran this battery for many months on my PT Cruiser, which was a daily driver, without any issues. I know many people that have run this battery successfully on a daily driver with no problems. Kind of odd that you wouldn't run it on a DAILY driver, and state the reason is that you had problems with the battery being weak after 4 days of non-use. You are contradicting yourself...Buy a trickle charger for your vacations if the car sits. Otherwise, I don't foresee any problems.

As far as the weight, if you read my post, its just a prelude to adding a large IC Reservoir in the battery area...So some of that weight will be returning. But I completely disagree that 40lbs is not very much anyway. It all adds up. Especially considering it came off the front end. Anything to help balance out the weight distribution is good for the road course. At the drag strip, it will lower your ET. I am sure you have heard the rule of thumb, 100lbs = .1 reduction. The C32 has a 55/45 weight distribution. Thats 2035lbs/1665lbs. Shedding 40lbs off the front results in 1995lbs/1665lbs, which makes it 54.5/45.5. Its not significant, but even just 40lbs registers a difference.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by code3smith
...Anything to help balance out the weight distribution is good for the road course. At the drag strip, it will lower your ET. I am sure you have heard the rule of thumb, 100lbs = .1 reduction....
Another very good point. Especially for our cars which tend to plow the front/understeer. Shedding weigth off the front should get closer to nuetral handling. Of course you can induce oversteer any time with the throttle, I just hate understeer as the default.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
If you think it will work for you then go ahead and use it. It just did not give me piece of mind having that weak little battery in there. Even in the CRX when you turn on the headlights without the engine running they are dim. Little things like the turn signal flashing would make the headlights dim with every flash.

On the C32 with all the electronic gizmos, I would be nervous.

Besides if you want to go to the track then put the battery in. On the street it will make no difference in winning or loosing a street race.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Once again, a completely apples to oranges comparison of the daily driver use of this battery, vs your CRX...I don't know about you, but I don't sit in my C32 and run the headlights and blinkers without the engine running...Referring to the battery as weak is just inaccurate. I posted the specs for a reason. Its simple, if you daily drive your C32, it will be fine. If you don't, then use a trickle charger, or don't use the battery. Everyone makes some compromise when using performance parts.

Also, saying to use it at the track is fine, but using it on the street will make no difference, is just ridiculous. Once again, you are contradicting yourself. Weight will make a difference on or off the track. I dropped 300lbs off of my 03 Cobra, and there is no doubt it made a difference on the street, and the strip. If anything, dropping weight off of a heavy car is more noticeable. The car doesn't feel as porky, especially in the turns. Plus, once again, you completely missed the point of this thread. The battery is making room for a large IC Reservoir. But let me guess, that wont make a difference either
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by code3smith
Once again, a completely apples to oranges comparison of the daily driver use of this battery, vs your CRX...I don't know about you, but I don't sit in my C32 and run the headlights and blinkers without the engine running...Referring to the battery as weak is just inaccurate. I posted the specs for a reason. Its simple, if you daily drive your C32, it will be fine. If you don't, then use a trickle charger, or don't use the battery. Everyone makes some compromise when using performance parts.

Also, saying to use it at the track is fine, but using it on the street will make no difference, is just ridiculous. Once again, you are contradicting yourself. Weight will make a difference on or off the track. I dropped 300lbs off of my 03 Cobra, and there is no doubt it made a difference on the street, and the strip. If anything, dropping weight off of a heavy car is more noticeable. The car doesn't feel as porky, especially in the turns. Plus, once again, you completely missed the point of this thread. The battery is making room for a large IC Reservoir. But let me guess, that wont make a difference either
I am saying with the engine running the headlights dim when the flashers go off.

While your at it you should drain your windshield washer tank since that 10 lbs of water is a bigger contributor to the nose heaviness of the car than the battery in the middle of the car.

The larger reservoir will make a difference thats why I use one with a larger heat exchanger.

40lbs will make no difference in how the car handles on the street. If you think a .001s savings in the 1/4 mile is going to make a difference on the street your wrong. 300lbs yes. This is a Mercedes, try taking off 300lbs and see what kind of car you have left.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I will drop it and move on. Its hilarious to read what you have to say on the subject. You have this completely awkward disconnect between the street and track, and its mind boggling. There is no reasoning with people like you Enjoy your cars.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
I am saying with the engine running the headlights dim when the flashers go off.

While your at it you should drain your windshield washer tank since that 10 lbs of water is a bigger contributor to the nose heaviness of the car than the battery in the middle of the car.

The larger reservoir will make a difference thats why I use one with a larger heat exchanger.

40lbs will make no difference in how the car handles on the street. If you think a .001s savings in the 1/4 mile is going to make a difference on the street your wrong. 300lbs yes. This is a Mercedes, try taking off 300lbs and see what kind of car you have left.
i don't have a prob with a lighter battery indeed i was intending to do this soon.

bear in mind the effort (what- 10 mins to change it) the this is very very sensible. consider guys spend thou$ands on wheels to save 20 lbs (yes i know- unsprung mass) and......BMW spent ?$ on a carbon fiber roof for the E92 M3 to save ELEVEN pounds.

for track days- easy stuff like taking out the passenger seat and changing to a light battery should drop 100+ lbs of the weight of the c32.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Update:

Its been 3 weeks since I installed the Odyssey Battery. I can say without a doubt, that this tiny battery can handle the C32. My car gets turned off and on numerous times a day, as well as at night. Never once has the battery hesitated to start the car. Voltage has been perfect as well. Get this, I didn't drive the car for 3.5 days when I went to Vegas. OMG, you know what happened!!! It started right up when I got home!&^)#!@()* So weird...

Anyway, as I said before, I have used this battery on another daily driver car with no issues. I have seen zero issues with the C32, and don't expect to see any. Its been perfect. Plus it made a lot of room for the reservoir The reservoir has a built in battery box, which is a nice touch More info soon on that.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
I've been running the larger Hawker PC925 in my C55 for 3 years now. Works great. Not as light or small as the 680, but it's only 26 lbs. On my scale the factory AMG batt was 60lbs.

I preferred the security of knowing the car would start even if the stereo or accessories were left on for a few minutes while someone waits in the car w/o the engine running. Alll are great batteries tho.

I think I got mine from:
http://www.gotbatteries.com/products...es/Odyssey.asp
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I just wanted to update this thread as I get emails about how its going frequently. Its been 2 months, and I am still running the PC680 battery without issues. None whatsoever. I daily drive the car, with many startups all day long. I drive the car at night with regular/fog lights on. I use the radio all the time. I drive the car just like I did before. I also now have an accessory in the car that I have a switch for that I run even after the car is off. Hot or cold outside, it doesn't matter.

Also, I have let the car sit for two periods. One for four days, the other for over a week. Both times the car started right up. I check the voltage with Autoenginuity, and its always fine.

We actually changed our IC reservoir plans a last month and went with a different setup, but I still run the battery anyway since its been fine If you want to play it safe, there are other Odyssey batteries that are jst a bit bigger, hardly any more weight, but hold a bit more power. Either way, its a nice way to drop a few lbs off the car.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
i use an similar optima battery in my rx7 for the last four years no problem.
Bought it from the same ebay folks as Brandon did. Great seller
Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by OPM
Odyssey PC680 is a good battery. If you drive your car regularly it will work reliably. The only concern is very cold climates combined with prolong inactivity. So if you live up North and like to go on long vacations during winter, it might be prudent to disconnect the battery, bring it indoors and hook it up to an intelligent trickle charger. However, if you want a lightweight battery I recommend Deka ETX14. It’s a bit more powerful, about 4lb lighter and costs under $60. For another $60 you can get a nice aluminum bracket for it that will pass SCCA and NASA race inspections.
The Deka is lighter and cheaper but what makes it better than the Odyssey in terms of performance? Where can I find the specs for the Deka to compare it to the pc680/5?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:19 PM

SLK32
Here is a battery comparison site some of you might find informative.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 PM

2002 C32 amg, 1998 328i
assualt on batteries

The only purpose of a battery is to start the car, or run accesories while the engine is off. The alternator is what runs everything. Hell once the car is running you dont even need the battery. So if folks lights dim with blinkers only, its time for a new alternator with a little *****. If your lights dim with stereo gear add a 1 farad cap.. No talk of xtra batteries for you air bag pumps, cause thats lame.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
my battery has powered my car for 40 days and it is 6.5 lbs!!

VOLTPHREAKS, course it was very expensive
Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 AM

F10
awesome thread, very helpful, even the simplest "custom" job works, keep your tips coming, i don't mind picking your brain...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dropped 39lbs off the front end, prelude to next project...