C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

M is for Boner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
M is for Boner

I am new to AMG and have been practicing my M mode driving skills. And it does take a little getting used too. The first time I smashed into the rev limiter in a big-BIG way I realized M mode isn't for sissys. I also had to get the leather boot freed up so the stick shifter could switch gears with a light flick. It was bunched up and was taking way too much pressure to down-shift. Now that it's all sorted and I have had a chance to play I have to admit is it A FUKKING BLAST to drive aggressively in M mode. I find I gravitate to the stick instead of the paddles--but the paddles with a 9 and 3 style work great! Is it my imagination or is the car faster in M mode. I know the shifts happen more authoritatively but it also seems stronger. Is there a fuel/spark cure specific to M mode? Whatever it is, it is pure driving pleasure. I find myself in M mode almost all the time now and switch into it as soon as it warms up.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:19 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

M mode is actually slower than S mode if you've been driving aggressively in S mode for a bit. It's fun though. I also add a blip of throttle when downshifting- you might try it if you time it right it works perfectly. It does seem that the car is more agrressive however the shifts in S mode when the car is driven hard actually shift faster. You need the paddles like I added
Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 PM

'07 CLS63 AMG, '08 S550, '09 GL450 w/appearance pkg., ('06 BMW '04 M3, '01 Boxster S - ALL SOLD)
Originally Posted by spr
M mode is actually slower than S mode if you've been driving aggressively in S mode for a bit. It's fun though. I also add a blip of throttle when downshifting- you might try it if you time it right it works perfectly. It does seem that the car is more agrressive however the shifts in S mode when the car is driven hard actually shift faster. You need the paddles like I added

Huh...I'm confused now...I called MBUSA and spoke to one of their three AMG reps and one of them told me that the "M" mode shifts 50% faster then "S"

So now im am really confused...I have tried "M" mode...you have to shift at the right time...a second to late and you redline it!

I still can't tell which is faster...I think that "S" is faster...only because there is no chance for human error...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think we are somewhat talking about 2 different aspects regarding time. While the actual transmission shift might shift quicker in M, it lags on the response time from WHEN you tell it to shift to when it actually does so. In S mode there is no lagtime as it does it's own thing. Anyone in SD with a gtech or whatever meter? I'd guine-pig my car to see what the differences actually are. I do agree the the actual shifting is crisper in M but I can't stand the lag time, you actually have to shift before you want it just to make up for it!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 AM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by spr
...Anyone in SD with a gtech or whatever meter? I'd guine-pig my car to see what the differences actually are. ...
I haven't noticed the "lag" in M mode but I'll look for it now that you mention it. I have run my G-TECH PRO SS four times and my best time has been in S set to 1st and letting it auto-up shift. 4.9 with a lame-*** 2.2 60'. I know it will do a 2.0 and that should net a 4.7 or a 4.6. I have only tried M mode once and I redlined it hard. I did do a 2.0 60' though so that could have easily been my 4.7 if I hadn't "missed" 2nd. But I have been practicing and I think there is the potential to be quicker in M if you do it right. It's just hard to get the perfect shift every time. Sorry for the flash of the blindingly obvious there but I've been drinking. But the more aggressive shift action doesn't seem like all of it. To me it seem like the TPS sensitivity and fuel/spark curves are more aggressive too, like the car runs stronger in M. That may just be the adrenaline though because you have to be on your toes in M when you are really getin it.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would also tend to agree that it seems to run stronger as it seems to always light both tires hard from a stand still with esp off whereas at times it will peg leg in S.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by spr
... I also add a blip of throttle when downshifting- you might try it if you time it right it works perfectly....
Do you heel-toe it for the blip if you are also braking? I have trouble with heel-toe driving in my work shoes so I don't usually try during my commute (which is where 90% of all my driving happens sadly). The new C63 has an auto-blip feature built into the new 7-speed SpeedShift and the reviewers all drool over it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do. I don't have any issue doing it from driving race cars for over 10 years . Most people do it the wrong way. I can do it in most shoes but I do agree with a couple of dress shoes the edges don't like to cooperate. The worst is trying to do it with wide dress shoes in a lambo ugh.