C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Value and More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C 32
C32 Value and More

Quick question or thoughts i guess. If the production is so low on the C32 i've heard under 1,000 in the US. Then why would the car continue to go down in value, is there actually too many of them, does there basically have to be less than 100 for a car to actually increase in value.

Just curious again if this car will ever increase in value or will the c32's eventually be available for $10 - 12 u's eventually.

Thanks.

Maybe living in California and the way home prices have gone up so much im expecting that the more rare cars might actually do the same (lol). Ok thanks, and if there anyone in the Ca. area, im in Agoura Hills (near Malibu, over the hill) say hello to a new guy.

I bought mine 2 months ago, seems to be ok so far, some clicking under the dash (A.C. on when you start from what i've heard), and i got the dreaded traction control warning then it shut off (dirty sensor i guess)??? Anyway to clean easily without removing i believe it's the driverside tire where the sensor is located.

Otherwise all is good, installed k/n air filters today, took about 30 mins. Always reading here, nice forum, good people here....Later.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 AM

2002 C32 and 2009 Audi S5
You got me. This has been discussed in other threads and the general consensus is that people simply have no idea how great this car really is. It's partly MB's plummeting rep with quality control regarding the earlier w203 c class, the fact that MB has always stood for luxury and until recently, luxury and acceleration at this price level didn't mix much and the incredible increase in sporty sedans as of late. There's probably a host of other reasons as well.

As for numbers, I have been watching the Ford Gt steadily gain in value, even with some miles on the clock. Most vehicles are now over MSRP and it was made in decent volume~4300 and change. But usually, for a car to be an investment in the long term, it has to be made in very low numbers. Very few cars that I know of gain in value in the first decade unless they are something truly special.

I am in Thousand Oaks, neighbor. Post a couple of pics of your ride and welcome!

Last edited by ralleyone; 10-12-2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: added word to make better sense
Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Would doubt that she will increase. I just picked up mine (02 c32 w/40k) for $22,000 and change.

But, that being said, one hell of a ride for a little over 20 grand.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by BMOCLAN
Quick question or thoughts i guess. If the production is so low on the C32 i've heard under 1,000 in the US. Then why would the car continue to go down in value, is there actually too many of them, does there basically have to be less than 100 for a car to actually increase in value.

Just curious again if this car will ever increase in value or will the c32's eventually be available for $10 - 12 u's eventually.

Thanks.

Maybe living in California and the way home prices have gone up so much im expecting that the more rare cars might actually do the same (lol). Ok thanks, and if there anyone in the Ca. area, im in Agoura Hills (near Malibu, over the hill) say hello to a new guy.

I bought mine 2 months ago, seems to be ok so far, some clicking under the dash (A.C. on when you start from what i've heard), and i got the dreaded traction control warning then it shut off (dirty sensor i guess)??? Anyway to clean easily without removing i believe it's the driverside tire where the sensor is located.

Otherwise all is good, installed k/n air filters today, took about 30 mins. Always reading here, nice forum, good people here....Later.
I have hung onto the hope that this car will someday become a true collector's item because of the tremendous performance in a small, light, comfortable package. Unfortunately, I am beginning to think that the C32 will always be the poor step-child to AMG believers. AMG has become synonymous with V8's, not V6's.

By the way, the clicking sound in the dash is the broken stepper motor. If you have warranty, get it done now. If not, save up about $600 for the fix. It is a $2 part with a ton of labor costs.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 AM

Merc C 32
What does a stepper motor do. Obviously it's not something we can fix by the way you described it, probably have to apart things that we didn't even know exhisted in a car (due to your price quote on the labor). Ok i'll wait for your answer.

Also your right above, for now we can be thankfull, we do get alot of car for under 25K, as long as it just holds up. Ok, i'll get the camera out soon for some pics. Ok i'll be checking in tomorrow for more gossip, etc....(lol).
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
The Stepper motor is the device that direct the airflow of your air/heat system. The clicking sound is the motor trying to close flaps, unsuccessfully, inside your dash. It is a very common problem with all W203 C's. It is expensive because they need to remove the entire dash to get to it.

Do a search in the non AMG W203 section on it and you will find several threads on this problem.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 PM

Merc C 32
I did just that. There's some great pictures about how to actually fix this problem yourself. seems like it should take 45- hr. or so. Ok thanks for the note. Also, before i shut the car down i am hitting the econo mode, it seems to always sound up when i leave the air on, econo mode cuts down on the motor noise most of the time, for now a solution.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Merc C 32
Rally, i sent you a mail a few days ago, have you read it, it shows unread. Ok talk to you soon.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:48 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by BMOCLAN

Thanks.

Welcome!
I've had mine about 6 months and also took advantage of the massive depreciation. Paid $23K with mods and probably could have gotten $22 if I wanted to be a tight-wad.

Don't why they drop so much, but being a longtime BMW owner I think it's almost a marketing/brand management kind of thing. Cuz there's no doubt the product itself is rock solid. The other issue is the ridiculous dealer labor fees. Most middle class Americans could afford a $23k car. But take it to the dealer for a repair and they'll blow a months salary. Just my .02
Old 10-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Part of the problem is it's a car. Only in very rare instances will one ever appreciate, most just depreciate at a slower rate. The sad thing with most German cars is once it is past it's Factory warranty they become even less desirable.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by JDC55
Part of the problem is it's a car. Only in very rare instances will one ever appreciate, most just depreciate at a slower rate. The sad thing with most German cars is once it is past it's Factory warranty they become even less desirable.
Very few cars built after 1972 or so have torn it up in the resale market. I can't think of any modern era German performance car, except the VW R32 and E30 BMW M3, that hasn't depreciated rapidly. Even a good E36 M3 can be had for less than 10k now.