C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Supercharger clutch bearing seems to be dying a noisy death.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Supercharger clutch bearing seems to be dying a noisy death.

Colder weather has made my car a real whiner. Until it is warmed up, there is an awful whirring-whining sound that I'm fairly sure is the supercharger clutch bearing. I've seen the DIY "easy" fix here and while I KNOW that this is the smart fix, I am still under warranty.

So the question is, do I do the work myself or take it to the dealer where they will probably want to swap out the entire supercharger?

I'm a big believer in not fixing what isn't broken, and I would worry that in replacing the s/c they could muck up something else. And it's not like a new s/c will offer any benefit.

Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
If you replace the bearing yourself and something else is causing your issue or later goes out, the dealer will blame that bearing/DIY. I see your conundrum, but I think you already know that you have to take it to the dealer, just as an ***-covering mechanism if nothing else. Sucks, but I think you should take it in...
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
If you replace the bearing yourself and something else is causing your issue or later goes out, the dealer will blame that bearing/DIY. I see your conundrum, but I think you already know that you have to take it to the dealer, just as an ***-covering mechanism if nothing else. Sucks, but I think you should take it in...
You're right. But I just KNOW that they're going to f**k it up. Oh well, free loaner.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:51 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
I had the same issue and was under warranty. The dealer did not swap the whole S/C but installed a brand new clutch assembly - not bad. Also make sure it is not the idler pulley to the right of the clutch that makes these noises - will have to remove the clutch cover to be sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I replaced my bearings again.. today

2nd time in the this year.

I check the idler pulley and no issues there. I had my mechanic pull both out.

it was the kompressor clutch, no doubt about it.

if you have warranty.. take it in.

No warranty.. $17 + 1 hour of labor max.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
My suggestion is take it to the dealer. As you know, they won't replace the bearing, they will replace the complete SC. That's what their guidelines state. After all, that's what the warranty is for. You will also get a new belt and other miscellaneous.

Regardless the mileage, getting a freshly overhauled SC won't hurt the car either. Let the warranty do the work for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
My suggestion is take it to the dealer. As you know, they won't replace the bearing, they will replace the complete SC. That's what their guidelines state. After all, that's what the warranty is for. You will also get a new belt and other miscellaneous.

Regardless the mileage, getting a freshly overhauled SC won't hurt the car either. Let the warranty do the work for you.

Of course, it also adds the myth that these cars are unreliable and cost a ton to fix. Not good for resale value.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
what's the expected life of the s/c itself anyway? since no parts touch internally is it basically forever???

i fondly remember my "low supercharger oil!!" post but now am skeptical about any lifetime fluid fills. is there any way to change the oil?

a whole new (remanfactured) supercharger was $2500 from the dealer but i think i get wholesale pricing. don't think that's a bad price considering.....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AWDman
what's the expected life of the s/c itself anyway? since no parts touch internally is it basically forever???

i fondly remember my "low supercharger oil!!" post but now am skeptical about any lifetime fluid fills. is there any way to change the oil?

a whole new (remanfactured) supercharger was $2500 from the dealer but i think i get wholesale pricing. don't think that's a bad price considering.....
When you think about it, a supercharger should last a long, long time. The parts are not moving THAT fast, and the friction of compressing air can't be particularly rough on the blades. The oil doesn't see that much heat, and no combustion.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 AM

silver 2002 c32 amg
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER

It seems MB no longer replace the whole supecharger and just use what they call a repair kit which is basically a new clutch assembly,
on mine they also fitted a new idler pulley and changed the belt

I asked for the old clutch assembly back and it looks fine,
I'm pretty sure all it needed was a new bearing so I've ordered one and
intend keeping it for a spare