C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32

My offer was accepted. I have to go down this evening and put the deposit and go back tomorrow with the rest of the money.

Thanks for everyones help. I will be looking into the pulley thing her soon. Anyone real quick tell me what offset I need for rim's. I am going to try to find a set of used rims and winter tires for it. I am not planning on driving it but it is good to know it is ready to go if I need it.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by bud4ya
My offer was accepted. I have to go down this evening and put the deposit and go back tomorrow with the rest of the money.

Thanks for everyones help. I will be looking into the pulley thing her soon. Anyone real quick tell me what offset I need for rim's. I am going to try to find a set of used rims and winter tires for it. I am not planning on driving it but it is good to know it is ready to go if I need it.

Thanks
I use four rear wheels (whatever offset they are) on all four corners.

Congrats on the C32. I've replace my front grill (see below), dropped it and firmed up the transmission with H&R Sport springs (TireRack), and de-staggered the wheels. Other than that, it's bone stock and makes me very happy.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

Congrats on the C32. I've replace my front grill (see below), dropped it and firmed up the transmission with H&R Sport springs (TireRack), and de-staggered the wheels. Other than that, it's bone stock and makes me very happy.
how did you firm up the transmission with H&R Sport springs?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 PM

I should really get to put it through it's paces this weekend and will reply back. From what I could tell it handled nicely but it was hard to really hammer it with a co pilot . Did you do coil covers?

Thanks,

Craig

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG
how did you firm up the transmission with H&R Sport springs?
Doh. Suspension. Transmission remains as soft as the day it was born.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM

C32 AMG

Thanks
Congrats! And FWIW - our board is better than the Bimmer one!!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
To answer a question asked on your other thread...I am not positive I really have LSD cause I bought the car used and after trying a few things it was led to believe I have LSD. I have one more test to confirm it so the board few nonbelievers would be satisfied but only for them. The car handled Great in the Chicago snow with not the most expensive snow tires (Hancook) now will be using quality ones this winter. I really think I do have it and in 0-60 and quarter times it will make a difference. I suggest dyno your car prior to any pulley install to see what you are making first then upgrade as you desire after. If you don't have a warranty then you can mod now if you do watchout cause it will void the warranty. The time slips I have most likely got help from all the least expensive upgrades added like the magnecor wires, denso ik20 iridium plugs, k&n and green filters and SL55 splitter....all can be had for about about or above $400 but the sprintbooster which is a must have you can get a while from now....I heard the LSD is around $1500-1700 and with install about $2500. Do small upgrades first and dyno to see where you are at then add pulleys with a tune now or add tune later. There is alot you can do to these cars but I say take a step at a time to see the results....to much power=nasty wheel spin thus weight distrubution needs correction. I used Dunlop SP8000 235/17 all around when making my passes. I know what my car is capable off now I can add the pulleys and see if I really gained by dyno and dragstrip...then tune and dyno again...the only other mods I am considering is a bigger heat exchanger and maybe a low shot of NOS if it helps my car to the 11s but want the motor to do low 12s first. I might be moving over to a E55 or CLS55 so to do heavy modding is honestly not a good financial idea. Enjoy!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Thank you for the info. I will dyno stock and then add the upgrades you suggested, dyno again and take it from there. I do not plan on driving the car in the winter but I would like to put a set of wheels and snows on it just in case the 4X4 is in the garage.

Thanks Again

Originally Posted by c32used
To answer a question asked on your other thread...I am not positive I really have LSD cause I bought the car used and after trying a few things it was led to believe I have LSD. I have one more test to confirm it so the board few nonbelievers would be satisfied but only for them. The car handled Great in the Chicago snow with not the most expensive snow tires (Hancook) now will be using quality ones this winter. I really think I do have it and in 0-60 and quarter times it will make a difference. I suggest dyno your car prior to any pulley install to see what you are making first then upgrade as you desire after. If you don't have a warranty then you can mod now if you do watchout cause it will void the warranty. The time slips I have most likely got help from all the least expensive upgrades added like the magnecor wires, denso ik20 iridium plugs, k&n and green filters and SL55 splitter....all can be had for about about or above $400 but the sprintbooster which is a must have you can get a while from now....I heard the LSD is around $1500-1700 and with install about $2500. Do small upgrades first and dyno to see where you are at then add pulleys with a tune now or add tune later. There is alot you can do to these cars but I say take a step at a time to see the results....to much power=nasty wheel spin thus weight distrubution needs correction. I used Dunlop SP8000 235/17 all around when making my passes. I know what my car is capable off now I can add the pulleys and see if I really gained by dyno and dragstrip...then tune and dyno again...the only other mods I am considering is a bigger heat exchanger and maybe a low shot of NOS if it helps my car to the 11s but want the motor to do low 12s first. I might be moving over to a E55 or CLS55 so to do heavy modding is honestly not a good financial idea. Enjoy!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Once I get the car in the garage I plan on doing some upgrades over the winter. Sounds like spring are a must. I have not had a chance to throw it around yet.

Doh. Suspension. Transmission remains as soft as the day it was born.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM

2004 c32, 91 GMC SYCLONE AND AN 08 CBR 600RR(MAN THIS THING IS FAST)
CONGRATS HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR C32 AS MUCH AS I HAVE SO FAR
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM

Me Too I will report back on my comprasion on my modded 540 6/sport to the C32. I am hoping the acceleration will be quicker which I think it will be.

Thanks

Originally Posted by 04blackc32
CONGRATS HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR C32 AS MUCH AS I HAVE SO FAR
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Wait a little while and buy a Sprintbooster it gives no power but makes the car feel way more powerful.....take it easy on the upgrades do only what you feel you really need....suspension is good on C32 but if you need better responce then upgrade if not I say leave as is. You need to find out your weaknessess on your car then attack them. If you have warranty there are a list of possible things that are or might be wrong but PM me and I shall provide what I have. Enjoy you will really appreciate your decision to buy one....by the way gives us detail...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Here are some pics. It has 32,000 miles 1 onwner, no paint work and is in exc shape. Come with 2 year MB warranty. I paid 22,900.

If you could PM me with prob's that would be great. It comes with all service records so I can look through what has been done and not done.

Thanks Again for the help. What do you think of the car?

I am going to see if the guy picking up my 540 can do a couple highway pulls to see how the C32 will match up against my modded 540. I have software, diff, exhaust and intake on the 540

Wait a little while and buy a Sprintbooster it gives no power but makes the car feel way more powerful.....take it easy on the upgrades do only what you feel you really need....suspension is good on C32 but if you need better responce then upgrade if not I say leave as is. You need to find out your weaknessess on your car then attack them. If you have warranty there are a list of possible things that are or might be wrong but PM me and I shall provide what I have. Enjoy you will really appreciate your decision to buy one....by the way gives us detail...
Attached Thumbnails Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32-c32-front.jpg   Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32-c32back.jpg   Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32-fc32-front-seats.jpg  
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I am not positive I really have LSD cause I bought the car used and after trying a few things it was led to believe I have LSD. I have one more test to confirm it so the board few nonbelievers would be satisfied but only for them.
Don't do the test!!! Why ruin your sense of having a LSD just for the nonbelievers?

PS: I think I have rocket launchers in my taillights. Too dangerous to actually test them though. But it's nice to know they're there if I need them. (Just having some fun with you!)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:51 PM

If you pounce on the gas and both rear tires leave a black mark then you have LSD correct? If only one leaves rubber you have a stock peg leg. I thought that is how you could tell if you have LSD

Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM

If you pounce on the gas and both rear tires leave a black mark then you have LSD correct? If only one leaves rubber you have a stock peg leg. I thought that is how you could tell if you have LSD
Nope. The C32 has an electronically controled "diff". It uses the ESP and brake application to make sure that both tires spin.

To test for sure, you have to put the car in "Dyno Mode". A stock C32 without an aftermarket diff will spin 1 tire into oblivion in "Dyno Mode".

Do a search for "Dyno Mode" for instructions on how to do this.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG
Nope. The C32 has an electronically controled "diff". It uses the ESP and brake application to make sure that both tires spin.

To test for sure, you have to put the car in "Dyno Mode". A stock C32 without an aftermarket diff will spin 1 tire into oblivion in "Dyno Mode".

Do a search for "Dyno Mode" for instructions on how to do this.
No, the C32 does not have an "electronic differential". It has ESP, which includes a traction control componenet, which does uses the brakes and cuts engine power when it detects one drive wheel "slipping" more than the other.

When you push the ESP Off button, the traction control component of the ESP shuts off and you are left with an open differential and all the potential negatives that happen when you try to exit a corner under power. As you all know the stability control component of the ESP remains on.

The C55 DOES have an "electronic differential", which is one of the improvements over the C32. With ESP on, it works exactly the same way as the C32. But when you push ESP off, it will continue to use the brakes to slow down a drive wheel that is spinning excessively compared to the other drive wheel, which will automatically transfer power to the other drive wheel which has more traction (exactly what a mechanical LSD does). However, there will be NO CUTTING OF ENGINE POWER in this mode, which is why it acts like a "pseudo-LSD". Of course, I think a true mechanical LSD will ultimately work the best. The stability control system of the ESP remains on, but activates only at a much higher threshold of oversteer or understeer before intervening. The combination of this "electronic differential" and the stiffer suspension of the C55 is probably why the C55 is signicantly faster around a track than the C32. The C55 can probably put its power down much more effectively when you're powering out of a corner with "ESP Off".

The system in the C55 is exactly what BMW advertises for the 335i with its "electronic differential". It only applies when you push the ESP Off button (or DSC off button in the BMW).

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 11-02-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
No, the C32 does not have an "electronic differential". It has ESP, which includes a traction control componenet, which does uses the brakes and cuts engine power when it detects one drive wheel "slipping" more than the other..
I'm no expert, but on launch with ESP switched off, my car does not operate like my 1976 Torino (one black strip of rubber). SOMETHING is keeping the power distribution roughly equal. (Hey, maybe I have an LSD!!!)

PS: I've used the C32 on track quite a bit, and I can only think of one place where an LSD might have helped with the launch (assuming a dry track) - Oak Tree turn at VIR. I think the vast, stupendous, unquestionable superiority of the C55 on track has a lot more to do with the improved (lower + firmer) suspension. The most authoritative side-by-side comparo is with both cars at the Nurburgring, and that's a high speed track where LSD matters little.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-02-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
With ESP off both wheels spin and leave equal marks but before I perform any other test I asked another member with LSD installed to see what happens with them first then i will feel rhe dyno mode method is 100% correct.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
No, the C32 does not have an "electronic differential". It has ESP, which includes a traction control componenet, which does uses the brakes and cuts engine power when it detects one drive wheel "slipping" more than the other.

When you push the ESP Off button, the traction control component of the ESP shuts off and you are left with an open differential and all the potential negatives that happen when you try to exit a corner under power. As you all know the stability control component of the ESP remains on.

The C55 DOES have an "electronic differential", which is one of the improvements over the C32. With ESP on, it works exactly the same way as the C32. But when you push ESP off, it will continue to use the brakes to slow down a drive wheel that is spinning excessively compared to the other drive wheel, which will automatically transfer power to the other drive wheel which has more traction (exactly what a mechanical LSD does). However, there will be NO CUTTING OF ENGINE POWER in this mode, which is why it acts like a "pseudo-LSD". Of course, I think a true mechanical LSD will ultimately work the best. The stability control system of the ESP remains on, but activates only at a much higher threshold of oversteer or understeer before intervening. The combination of this "electronic differential" and the stiffer suspension of the C55 is probably why the C55 is signicantly faster around a track than the C32. The C55 can probably put its power down much more effectively when you're powering out of a corner with "ESP Off".

The system in the C55 is exactly what BMW advertises for the 335i with its "electronic differential". It only applies when you push the ESP Off button (or DSC off button in the BMW).
duh. Hence the quote marks around "diff" in my post. But thanks for the thesis paper anyway.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Here are some pics. It has 32,000 miles 1 onwner, no paint work and is in exc shape. Come with 2 year MB warranty. I paid 22,900.

If you could PM me with prob's that would be great. It comes with all service records so I can look through what has been done and not done.

Thanks Again for the help. What do you think of the car?

I am going to see if the guy picking up my 540 can do a couple highway pulls to see how the C32 will match up against my modded 540. I have software, diff, exhaust and intake on the 540

Some issues that come to mind is:

1. Wondering side mirrors
2. Dreaded tranny jerk around 1000-1500 RPM 1st to 2nd
3. Lower seat heater not working on either seat
4. Driver side window controls auto up or down not working
5. IC pump that goes bad
6. Pulley tensioner that goes bad
7. Rear S.A.M going bad(rare)

Here is a link that is helpful for newbies: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/201140-one-stop-search-newbies-start-here.html

2 Dyno slips on different days with either K&N or Green filters,SL55 splitter, Magnecor, Denso plugs, Sprintbooster Dunlop sport sp800- tires 235/17 all around https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/209833-dyno-numbers-my-baby.html

Last edited by c32used; 11-02-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I'm no expert, but on launch with ESP switched off, my car does not operate like my 1976 Torino (one black strip of rubber). SOMETHING is keeping the power distribution roughly equal. (Hey, maybe I have an LSD!!!)

PS: I've used the C32 on track quite a bit, and I can only think of one place where an LSD might have helped with the launch (assuming a dry track) - Oak Tree turn at VIR. I think the vast, stupendous, unquestionable superiority of the C55 on track has a lot more to do with the improved (lower + firmer) suspension. The most authoritative side-by-side comparo is with both cars at the Nurburgring, and that's a high speed track where LSD matters little.
Let's not bring this thread completely off topic. I will say this: if you have equal grip in both drive wheels, you can still make 2 black burnout lines even with an open differential (ESP Off on the C32). The open differential will only declare itself if you have one drive wheel having a lot less grip than the other (like one wheel on gravel and the other wheel on sticky asphault, or putting the throttle down when exiting a corner hard and the inner drive wheel lifts up and loses grip). And I agree with you that it's the tighter, slower corners on a track where a LSD will make a difference. The Nurburgring is a long fast track, and I agree a LSD is probably less important. However, on a short track like Hockenheim (where the C55 is a full 2 seconds faster than the C32), or the Evo benchmark 1.8 mile track at Bedford Autodrome, a LSD or "pseudo LSD" probably helps, especially for pro drivers who drive at the limits with ESP Off. On the E46 M3, the mechanical LSD (in the setting of DSC off) allows for the M3 driver to put their foot down on the throttle earlier when exiting a corner.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
wow thats (*&^%&$ cheap for a 03 with low miles !!! what a deal !!!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 AM

C32 AMG
Ya you got a great deal... Bi-Xenons and Merlot interior... 2 of my fav things
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys and the owner I bought it from was very helpful in answering all questions. Looks just like a new car in and out.

Originally Posted by Corrosive
Ya you got a great deal... Bi-Xenons and Merlot interior... 2 of my fav things

wow thats (*&^%&$ cheap for a 03 with low miles !!! what a deal !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thanks Everyone I purchased the C32