C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ECU Upgrade Rather Than Pulley's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
ECU Upgrade Rather Than Pulley's

Could I get your guys feedback here? Especially ones that have used this Co tuning www.VelocePerformance.com. From reading posts from a member of this Co this guys REALLY knows his stuff. So the feedback I am looking for is someone who has just done what I described below and the results they had. What I am trying to accomplish is a way to get the most HP I can in the safest manner. The car still has 2-year warranty so the only thing I thought with the pulleys is they can just be removed before I go in for service. That is not so easy to do once you have changed your ECU. Although they did say you could send it back and have the stock file re loaded. If I can get another 30 HP out of the car for around $800 bucks that seems like a great investment. I am open to all thoughts and ideas

This is what the ECU Reprogram will provide:

Just re programming the ECU with this Co will net between 25-35hp/30lb ft torque.

It will also improve the drivability of the car by improving throttle response, and broadening the power band. Limiter can be removed.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Not sure you will get that much of a benefit on that particular AMG. I know the E55 can get 35-40HP and the 65 gets about 90HP.

Look here as this company is top notch: http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...sheets_one.asp

Aaron at StealthAuto (A Vendor on these boards) is a representative of this company and can help you with any questions. He is top notch to work with.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bud4ya
Could I get your guys feedback here? Especially ones that have used this Co tuning www.VelocePerformance.com. From reading posts from a member of this Co this guys REALLY knows his stuff. So the feedback I am looking for is someone who has just done what I described below and the results they had. What I am trying to accomplish is a way to get the most HP I can in the safest manner. The car still has 2-year warranty so the only thing I thought with the pulleys is they can just be removed before I go in for service. That is not so easy to do once you have changed your ECU. Although they did say you could send it back and have the stock file re loaded. If I can get another 30 HP out of the car for around $800 bucks that seems like a great investment. I am open to all thoughts and ideas

Just re programming the ECU with this Co will net between 25-35hp/30lb ft torque.

It will also improve the drivability of the car by improving throttle response, and broadening the power band. Limiter can be removed.
Hi there:

Take a look at the W211 section as this company has been the discussion of MUCH debate with their claims. From my own knowledge, I would HIGHLY doubt getting 30 more HP from a flash, and several other WELL respected posters " On both sites" have came to that same conclusion

See yeah
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
You will not see that kind of power through an ECU upgrade only. Sorry.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by code3smith
You will not see that kind of power through an ECU upgrade only. Sorry.
+1

Most who've modded and dyno'ed step by step to improve the knowledge base of the forum have seemed to suggest that upgrading the crankshaft pulley is the best, sure-fire performance gain for the C32 & SLK32. From there, you may opt to have an ECU tune to match the increased PSI you'd be running, or upgrade the cooling with a larger HE. After that, higher-flowing headers would likely be the next major step for performance.

Upgrades like wires, plugs, SL55 splitter, etc. are debated quite a bit as to if they provide any appreciable gains consistently, vehicle to vehicle. Air filters too... although C32used did extensive testing with his own car and the results suggested K&N and Green are indeed better than OEM. YMMV.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG

Till now, i haven't seen a single dyno chart before/after from Veloce. 25-35 hp from ECU reprogramming? I don't think the AMG engineers are that
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Looks like the pulley upgrade for me then. How many PSI's does it bump up when changing the pulley. I just have not had time to reseach what stock PSI is and then what it is when you add a different pulley.

Beside fuel economy are there any down falls to just doing the pulley and leaving the ECU alone?

Thanks guys I appreciate this

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Looks like the pulley upgrade for me then. How many PSI's does it bump up when changing the pulley. I just have not had time to reseach what stock PSI is and then what it is when you add a different pulley.

Beside fuel economy are there any down falls to just doing the pulley and leaving the ECU alone?

Thanks guys I appreciate this
Drivability might be affected, more jerkiness on the low end.

Adam
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Stock boost is 14.7. With a pulley you'll see around 17 psi. The stock ECU will handle the new pulley with no problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM

2005 C230KSS 6spd
pardon if i'm wrong, but i faintly remember veloce tuning telling someone that the c55 was supercharged.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by charl1exbr0wn
pardon if i'm wrong, but i faintly remember veloce tuning telling someone that the c55 was supercharged.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
from reading seeveral threads pulleys is best choice. If all gets done timely I will have ASP pulleys installed by tomorrrow and dyno on Friday and track results on Sat so wait. But dyno your car prior while stock.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Thank you I will await your results. Are you running your stock ECU with the pulleys?

Originally Posted by c32used
from reading seeveral threads pulleys is best choice. If all gets done timely I will have ASP pulleys installed by tomorrrow and dyno on Friday and track results on Sat so wait. But dyno your car prior while stock.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
[QUOTE= Are you running your stock ECU with the pulleys?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am using stock ECU. But even though I was told by several people I don't need to tune I was also told by a Tuner "yes.....I will eventually" to get full potencial of the pulleys. So I plan to run it all winter with pullies and maybe tune and dyno in the spring/summer.

P.S. I will redyno with stock ECU prior to tune in the spring/summer to see if the warmer weather affects my prior results first for the cold weather dyno with ASP pullies and stock dyno.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Anyone have a comparsion of different pulleys. When I make the purchase I am more looking at quaility rather than cost. From being new here I have seen the following pulleys mentioned a lot renntech, ASP, Kleeman and Evo Sport. Are any of these better quaility than others? Or is it personal perference.

Before I got the car someone said the safest and best quality pulley and tune would come from Renntech since they are kind of partners with MB. I have no idea of the validity of this statement just passing on what I heard.

Who did you purchase your ASP pulley through? Cost?

Thanks

Yes I am using stock ECU. But even though I was told by several people I don't need to tune I was also told by a Tuner "yes.....I will eventually" to get full potencial of the pulleys. So I plan to run it all winter with pullies and maybe tune and dyno in the spring/summer.

P.S. I will redyno with stock ECU prior to tune in the spring/summer to see if the warmer weather affects my prior results first for the cold weather dyno with ASP pullies and stock dyno.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Anyone have a comparsion of different pulleys. When I make the purchase I am more looking at quaility rather than cost. From being new here I have seen the following pulleys mentioned a lot renntech, ASP, Kleeman and Evo Sport. Are any of these better quaility than others? Or is it personal perference.

Before I got the car someone said the safest and best quality pulley and tune would come from Renntech since they are kind of partners with MB. I have no idea of the validity of this statement just passing on what I heard.

Who did you purchase your ASP pulley through? Cost?

Thanks
I say those are the top 3 used but the R and the K are very obvious when you open the hood while the ASP look vertally like stock but bigger. So you might get away taking it in for service at MB. I think alot is personal prefference but my reasoning to chose A was mostly that it appears close to stock and it give a little piece of mind when servicing car at stealership for warranty work. As for price I bought it used so got a great deal from another member. I say post for all three mainly used pulleys and people will show up with offers to you. They did for me....and I only listed A not the others.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks so I just need 2 pulleys and a belt it sounds like. Then the ECU tune will just help with the fuel consumption. I would think if I buy a set of used pulleys I just need to find a tuner that will tune my ECU to that specific brand pulley set up.

I say those are the top 3 used but the R and the K are very obvious when you open the hood while the ASP look vertally like stock but bigger. So you might get away taking it in for service at MB. I think alot is personal prefference but my reasoning to chose A was mostly that it appears close to stock and it give a little piece of mind when servicing car at stealership for warranty work. As for price I bought it used so got a great deal from another member. I say post for all three mainly used pulleys and people will show up with offers to you. They did for me....and I only listed A not the others.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thanks so I just need 2 pulleys and a belt it sounds like. Then the ECU tune will just help with the fuel consumption. I would think if I buy a set of used pulleys I just need to find a tuner that will tune my ECU to that specific brand pulley set up.
Well the ASP set is actually suppose to be the Crank,Idler and Waterpump pulleys but I picked up the Crank and Waterpump with a belt and talked to a ASP rep first and the belt since smaller is the same as the 3rd pulley. A new set is about 1k and a good custom tune can be from $350-1k so $1350-2k out the door while R and K systems are in the 3k+range
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You may also want to consider www.letmotorsports.com - a few forum members are running their upgraded pulley with success.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
You may also want to consider www.letmotorsports.com - a few forum members are running their upgraded pulley with success.
They don't seem to have a pulley upgrade for the E55 based on their site matrix.

Also, don't you need additional cooling for the ASP pulley upgrade? Or do you need the additional cooling for any pulley upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM

The co's I have spoke to about the pulley ECU upgrade have mentioned nothing about more cooling needed. But that is a good question since you are producing more boost

Originally Posted by Timeless
They don't seem to have a pulley upgrade for the E55 based on their site matrix.

Also, don't you need additional cooling for the ASP pulley upgrade? Or do you need the additional cooling for any pulley upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Timeless

Thanks!
Yeah, I think LET only has a C32/SLK32 pulley kit... but the OP has a C32, which I guess is who I was directing that at.

E55s seem to still have a lot of choices to make big power - Renntech being at the top of the list, IMHO... but you certainly pay a boatload for it.

As for cooling - at least with the C32, you don't NEED additional cooling with an upgraded pulley kit, but it's not a bad idea. Most seem to address this with an upgraded (i.e. larger) front-mount heat exchanger and perhaps an upgraded IC pump, and perhaps an additional coolant reservoir, etc etc. Search this forum for "larger heat exchanger" or "upgraded heat exchanger" or some equivalent, and you'll get a few good threads I'm sure.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
The co's I have spoke to about the pulley ECU upgrade have mentioned nothing about more cooling needed. But that is a good question since you are producing more boost
Hey bud4ya:

Yeah, I purchased a pully AND the HE from Code3. I track my car so I KNOW heat WILL be a BIG issue. I would HIGHLY recomend BOTH together. Since Code3 came along, its CHEAP, EASY, AND BOLT ON, so the obvious question is why the heck not? Anytime you buid more boost, you get more heat, PV=NRT, sorry its the engineer in me. So get them both and rip her loose

See yeah
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks that makes sense. Why add more HP and not be able to use it when it gets hot out.

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey bud4ya:

Yeah, I purchased a pully AND the HE from Code3. I track my car so I KNOW heat WILL be a BIG issue. I would HIGHLY recomend BOTH together. Since Code3 came along, its CHEAP, EASY, AND BOLT ON, so the obvious question is why the heck not? Anytime you buid more boost, you get more heat, PV=NRT, sorry its the engineer in me. So get them both and rip her loose

See yeah
Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
no cooling required but if you are in hotter climate then larger ic and maybe phenomic spacer would be a good idea. these help to maintain your hp longer while system is hot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Upgrade Rather Than Pulley's