Just a little info for you guys.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Just a little info for you guys.

I recently made a post reguarding what oil to use in my car. The general opinion was to go with mobil1. I did some looking around since I had time before my next oil change. I spoke to a friend of mine who's father works in building race engines V8's inline turbo 6's and Turbo 4's. I asked him what oil he uses on him cars 06M'3 Turbo. He explained to me that he's tried alot of oils over the years "Redline, Mobile1, Castrol syn, and a few others" please keep in mind this guy is a true gear head..He loves cars!

To make a long story short I told him I wanted to change my oil and I want to pamper this engine with the best stuff out there right now. He told me that he has been using Royal Purple in his cars for over 2yrs now and he's very happy with it. He also uses it in his Buel bike as well. I took his advice and picked up the Royal Purple 10w 40 and changed my oil. I put a K&N filter in the car too. Please keep in mind that my car has 13500 miles and I drive in Miami,Fl Heat. Well I very happy to say that the car is a bit more quiet @ stat up and feels a bit smother. I want to say that for the record I dont work for them or even in the oil business. I'm a cop by trade and a car guy @ heart.

I just want to share my 2$ with you guys.

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
i too have heard royal purple is good. they're really expensive here in canada. 2/3s of the price in the states wheni last visited walmart in seattle.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=Mikegpr03;2494237]I recently made a post reguarding what oil to use in my car. The general opinion was to go with mobil1. I did some looking around since I had time before my next oil change. I spoke to a friend of mine who's father works in building race engines V8's inline turbo 6's and Turbo 4's. I asked him what oil he uses on him cars 06M'3 Turbo. He explained to me that he's tried alot of oils over the years "Redline, Mobile1, Castrol syn, and a few others" please keep in mind this guy is a true gear head..He loves cars!

Hey Mikegpr03:

First of all, you are CORRECT that oils like royal purple, Amsoil, etc, are SLIGHTLY better than mobil 1. I work with an engineer that did research for Gulf oil back in the 80's. After all of his testing he made me a BIG believer in synthetic oils.

Now for reality.
Mobile 1 is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER, +1
Mobil 1 is readily available, +1
Mobil 1 is comaptiable with everything +1
Higher temperature resistant +1 to Royal purple, Amsoil. Keep in mind here that this is because Mobil 1 is a para-synthetic, not a true synethic. Also keep in mind, and I am making these numbers up as its been tooo many years, we are talking about 10 degrees farenhiet here. Mobil 1 can go to like 535, and Amsoil is good to 545. NOT MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT, IMHO.

Put this all together, and SCORE a case of mobil 1 and save some coin.

See yeah

PS: He raced a 86 SVO/GT conversion car, SCCA rules, for 80,000. He was t-boned by a 68 chevelle, and we tore his engine down. ALL parts, bearings, rings, SHOWED NO WEAR! This was on Mobil 1, so YES SYNTHETICS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Oh yeah, GOOD choice with K/N's
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
Anyone know what weight of Mobil 1 that the dealer normally uses? I have 10-30 sitting in my garage from my last car and would love to be able to use it if possible instead of collecting dust.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by slowrey
Anyone know what weight of Mobil 1 that the dealer normally uses? I have 10-30 sitting in my garage from my last car and would love to be able to use it if possible instead of collecting dust.
Feel free, it won't hurt a thing. Just remeber, being a little bit thinner, it is NOT the best for say an Arizona summer.

See yeah

PS: Synthetic wieght is VERY biased, IE, it really doens't matter as it is SO superior to convential. When I said a littel thinner, I really meant A VERY LITTLE.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by 14cue
i too have heard royal purple is good. they're really expensive here in canada. 2/3s of the price in the states wheni last visited walmart in seattle.
only brand i use in my EVO 8.... now in the C32 (my daily driver) its a different story
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Mobil 1 is a brand. To be certain you need to use the correct Mobil 1. It's odd, but they seem to differentiate based on weight. I know that there is a "Ow40" that is rated for European cars. The 10w30 is not the best. Although it's probably fine.

I use the M1 0w40 as well as Amsoil European. Royal Purple is also good.

I don't know anyone who has had a fundamental engine failure (bearings, etc.) so we're probably all overthinking it. Folks with turbos have to worry the most since the oil temps inside a turbo are insane, and the flash/burn point of the oil is critical. For our engines, the main concern is using the proper weight.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Mobil 1 is a brand. To be certain you need to use the correct Mobil 1. It's odd, but they seem to differentiate based on weight. I know that there is a "Ow40" that is rated for European cars. The 10w30 is not the best. Although it's probably fine.

I use the M1 0w40 as well as Amsoil European. Royal Purple is also good.

I don't know anyone who has had a fundamental engine failure (bearings, etc.) so we're probably all overthinking it. Folks with turbos have to worry the most since the oil temps inside a turbo are insane, and the flash/burn point of the oil is critical. For our engines, the main concern is using the proper weight.
+1 on the Mobil 1 0w40 - this is what MB uses, I believe.

I recall seeing, at one point in time, a list of MB "approved" oils and weights... maybe in the user manual (or on this forum?)
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM

C32
at the benz dealership i work at we use mobil 1 0w40 and 5w40
Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 AM
SPONSOR

i am using Amsoil, just make sure that you use a European blend that is made specifically for the car...