Looking to buy a C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Looking to buy a C32

Hi folks,

I test drove one today '03 model. Felt solid and great. There is no front wheel well gap, car looks like she's been dropped - very aggressively. Also there are aluminum foils on the hoses, and there's an AMG logo on the hood which has a tree and what looks to be a valve stem on it. The car also has a trunk and rear windshade which makes it look HOT. The car is being sold by a non-MB dealer.

Is this car modified?
I guess its prolly been beat on?
Anyone know about the logo? Was it offered from the factory?
I was looking for the signature where the mech. signs off on his work in the engine bay. Where is that located?

Based on my description above, do you think the previous owner/modder did a good job? IS there a way to tell of any performance modifications? (such as a pulley, or Rentech or similar mods?) The danger of buying what may be a modded car is if the mods were done tastefully, and correctly. OR this could be a time bomb with poor modifications.

Tks. for your help.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably has been modified...but these cars are basically bullet-proof

if you can take a picture of the engine bay without the front pulley cover on, i can tell you if it has been modified...good luck!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Tks. for the reply 1fastc32. If I go back there with an offer, I can see if they would let me remove the pulley cover.

I sent you a PM, but I'll ask you here too - are these cars repairable by us? I can switch turbos, fuel pumps, fuel injectors on my Supras (straight six I/C) - pretty easy engine to work on. I see tons of mods for the C32, are these done by shops or can they be done by us? Tks.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 AM
SPONSOR

PM replied...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Hey there post a picture up maybe it belonged to someone here.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gnma
Tks. for the reply 1fastc32. If I go back there with an offer, I can see if they would let me remove the pulley cover.

I sent you a PM, but I'll ask you here too - are these cars repairable by us? I can switch turbos, fuel pumps, fuel injectors on my Supras (straight six I/C) - pretty easy engine to work on. I see tons of mods for the C32, are these done by shops or can they be done by us? Tks.
The cover just snaps off and on. It's cosmetic.

Given your history, I think you could work on a C32. One thing to keep in mind is that mods are expensive. The aftermarket is pretty thin because there are not alot of C32s on the road. And because it's and AMG, the tuners charge a ton for everything. Key mods to consider (after you determine what you've already got):

> Limited slip diff. (Pricey, but important if you're adding HP).
> Pulley + ECU. Lots of options. Expect to pay a few thousand.
> Upgraded intercooler hardware. Options growing.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM

Tks. for the response.

<<One thing to keep in mind is that mods are expensive>>

Ha ha, ever heard of Apexi or HK$? The "$" is there for a reason . - Japanese aftermarket products. Turbos,computers, I/C's, gauges, etc.

Another concern I have is ck. engine lights. I imagine the C32 uses OBDII? I've searched, and I see an array of available scanners, so that puts to bed the view that anytime a German car throws a CEL light, its off to the dealer to get ripped off. What about "service A or B"? After performing these ourselves, can we reset the "service A" light? I really like the car, but have always heard of having to take the car to the dealer for repair. And I hate that. Thanks for the feedback. I really like the DIYers out here.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Tks. for the response.

Ha ha, ever heard of Apexi or HK$? The "$" is there for a reason . - Japanese aftermarket products. Turbos,computers, I/C's, gauges, etc.

Another concern I have is ck. engine lights. I imagine the C32 uses OBDII? I've searched, and I see an array of available scanners, so that puts to bed the view that anytime a German car throws a CEL light, its off to the dealer to get ripped off. What about "service A or B"? After performing these ourselves, can we reset the "service A" light? I really like the car, but have always heard of having to take the car to the dealer for repair. And I hate that. Thanks for the feedback. I really like the DIYers out here.

You can reset your own service light. The CEL issue is tougher. To my knowledge, the aftermarket diagnostic options are more limited. (My last car was an Audi and for a few hundred bucks, you could have a program for a laptop that fully "hacked" the computer. Nothing that easy for MB.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
SPONSOR

Tks. for the response.

did you get any pictures today? just wondering if this thing is stock or not...based on your PM's, i would say not, but i would still like to see some conclusive evidence...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Hks or Apexi offer alot more for the buck than what you would get with Renntech, Kleeman, or Carlsson. IMHO There is no comparison. and I have all those japanese tuners about my other car. I'm not paying nearly as much to mod it as I am the benz.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Tks. for the info. moosejaw. Kewl to see an AMG owner also owning a Japanese tuner car.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
Does it look anything like this:

Also my cheap $100 Innova OBD2 scanner works fine on my
02 C32, 03 EVO8 and my brothers slowvette
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Neihouma, tks. for the pic and OBDII answer! Unfortunately, I did not know about removing the pulley cover to inspect it. (Still learning about the C32). I'm planning on heading back there for a thorough second test drive. This is a great forum, and I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
np gnma, check out amazon that's where I got my scanner from. I must've
lucked out, I got it for $99.95 free shipping and now the prices have gone up.

the cover to remove is quite simple, just lift it up, it has (4) points holding
the cover down, and it won't break, kinda flexible.

Also later when I go home, I'll take a picture of the stock pulley, so you'll
know what to look for.