First victim of Johnson pump failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
First victim of Johnson pump failure...

Well, after 5k on the clock, my Johnson CM30 pump took a crap on me this morning. I managed to make it 3 miles from the house, in 30° weather, when I noticed my SC was not engaging. I pulled over at a local gas station and as soon as I got out of the car, I could hear the pump making a grinding / whining noise. I looked at my tank in the trunk and it was full!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I hear that Bosch makes a great pump that lasts as long as five years and 50,000 miles!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Well, after 5k on the clock, my Johnson CM30 pump took a crap on me this morning. I managed to make it 3 miles from the house, in 30° weather, when I noticed my SC was not engaging. I pulled over at a local gas station and as soon as I got out of the car, I could hear the pump making a grinding / whining noise. I looked at my tank in the trunk and it was full!
Damn!
How about retrofitting the next one so that it sits up vertically?
When I pulled my OE pump apart after it failed, it was very clear that one side of the pumps innards were worn a lot more than the other side. I don't think these pumps like lying on their sides!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

Sorry to hear that...........hopefully mine won't be an issue after install. Do you think putting it vertically will help? I think I remember seeing yours vertically but not postive. Did you end up putting OEM back?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Damn!
How about retrofitting the next one so that it sits up vertically?
When I pulled my OE pump apart after it failed, it was very clear that one side of the pumps innards were worn a lot more than the other side. I don't think these pumps like lying on their sides!
Yup, mine is in the ideal location and placed in the suggested position, which is vertical. The front tip is facing the ground.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Can you maybe use the manufacturer's warranty to get a replacement?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
Oh bloody marvelous. I wonder what pump is equivelant to the
Johnson pump.

Anyone recalls the flow rate of the stock MB Bosch, SVT Lightning
and the Johnson pumps?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by neihouma
Oh bloody marvelous. I wonder what pump is equivelant to the
Johnson pump.

Anyone recalls the flow rate of the stock MB Bosch, SVT Lightning
and the Johnson pumps?
SVT and MB pumps are the same. I think the Johnson had higher flow, at least when running.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I hear that Bosch makes a great pump that lasts as long as five years and 50,000 miles!!!
Hell my stock pump lasted ~4 years and 31k miles. Not a very good track record.

Hopefully my Johnson CM90 will last a good bit longer.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
think the Johnson had higher flow, at least when running.

Sorry Jerry
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Jerry, how is the pump wired?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Jerry, how is the pump wired?
Stock wiring. The pump turns on and off with no problems....

I might have gotten a defective unit. No big deal....
Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM

MB
Spearco water pump

I remember seeing Spearco offering a waterpump. I just checked their site but I couldn't find it. I was able to locate it at another site though.

http://www.racetep.com/tneticatolic.html

Attached is a screen shot of that pump.
Attached Thumbnails First victim of Johnson pump failure...-picture-1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I was just curious as to where the pump was located and how the wiring was done.

I brought up the wiring as I found my stock wiring to be providing no power anymore...So I ran new wiring. Of course, my pump was not working at all. Just weird.

If the pump is in the stock location, and its the only pump in the system, it does not surprise me at all that its dead already. In a trunk mounted application, the pump should be located right next to the tank (or very close), with the suction side pulling directly from the tank. These pumps are very good at pushing fluid (max head). If you are asking the pump to pull suction through half the system, and push through the other half, it is not going to last long, as you have added a lot more length to the system. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

I was just curious as to where the pump was located and how the wiring was done.

I brought up the wiring as I found my stock wiring to be providing no power anymore...So I ran new wiring. Of course, my pump was not working at all. Just weird.

If the pump is in the stock location, and its the only pump in the system, it does not surprise me at all that its dead already. In a trunk mounted application, the pump should be located right next to the tank (or very close), with the suction side pulling directly from the tank. These pumps are very good at pushing fluid (max head). If you are asking the pump to pull suction through half the system, and push through the other half, it is not going to last long, as you have added a lot more length to the system. Just some thoughts.
Jerry has a reservior but I don't so do you think the stock location is gonna be a problem for me....also Jerry is heavily modded you think maybe the pump couldn't handle his application especially since its located in the front and his reservior is in the back??
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 430
Hell my stock pump lasted ~4 years and 31k miles. Not a very good track record.

Hopefully my Johnson CM90 will last a good bit longer.

I'm at 5+ years and 53K miles. Maybe mine will last forever because I have a spare Bosch pump sitting in my garage!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
SVT and MB pumps are the same. I think the Johnson had higher flow, at least when running.
True, I recall something like that, but I really couldn't care
how long the pump lasts, I don't mind changing it annually
either but I would like a pump that'll keep my IAT down with
other cooling upgrades that I have.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
The stock location is perfectly fine for the Johnson pump, in a stock setup. If you look at the total distance fluid travels, its very short. I honestly don't know where Jerry's pump is mounted. But the issue that I raised revolves around the amount of fluid travel distance that has been added to his system, and the possible problem arising from keeping the pump in the stock location for a trunk mounted application. Max head rates are measured by having the pump move fluid straight up until it cant not go any higher. Obviously, we are not moving fluid straight up, so the distance it can push fluid becomes greater. But the stock location is not ideal as you are making the pump work very hard to move fluid through the system (in the trunk mounted setup), if you are having it pull fluid from 12+ft, and push it the same distance. Adding a second pump can cause flow problems if you simply leave one in the stock location, and put another one in the trunk. Either a larger pump is needed, or you can run two pumps inline or parallel. Inline pumps will create more flow, while parallel pumps will create more head. Ultimately, if you are going trunk mounted, at a minimum, the pump should be pulling straight out of the tank right next to it.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
The stock location is perfectly fine for the Johnson pump, in a stock setup. If you look at the total distance fluid travels, its very short. I honestly don't know where Jerry's pump is mounted. But the issue that I raised revolves around the amount of fluid travel distance that has been added to his system, and the possible problem arising from keeping the pump in the stock location for a trunk mounted application. Max head rates are measured by having the pump move fluid straight up until it cant not go any higher. Obviously, we are not moving fluid straight up, so the distance it can push fluid becomes greater. But the stock location is not ideal as you are making the pump work very hard to move fluid through the system (in the trunk mounted setup), if you are having it pull fluid from 12+ft, and push it the same distance. Adding a second pump can cause flow problems if you simply leave one in the stock location, and put another one in the trunk. Either a larger pump is needed, or you can run two pumps inline or parallel. Inline pumps will create more flow, while parallel pumps will create more head. Ultimately, if you are going trunk mounted, at a minimum, the pump should be pulling straight out of the tank right next to it.

I had this conversation with the tuning shop that did the install. We both agreed that the stock location is best, as long as the tank is mounted higher than the pump, which it is.

Pulling water from directly from the tank or from 12 feet of hose attached to the tank, would be the same. Either way the pump is connected to a hose and not to the tank directly. If the pump is mounted near the tank, then it has to push the water 24+ feet vs pulling 12 feet and pushing 12 feet.

Mounting it in either location is fine.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Pulling water from directly from the tank or from 12 feet of hose attached to the tank, would be the same. Either way the pump is connected to a hose and not to the tank directly. If the pump is mounted near the tank, then it has to push the water 24+ feet vs pulling 12 feet and pushing 12 feet.

Mounting it in either location is fine.
Its too bad that you and they think this, because its absolutely not true. These are centrifugal pumps. Perhaps the most common pump in the world. They all work the same. Water entering the pump receives kinetic energy from a rotating impeller, and the centrifugal action accelerates the water to a higher velocity. You are transferring mechanical energy to the water. Quite simply put, a centrifugal pump is good at pushing water, not pulling it. I am going to take a wild guess and say that the water from your tank does not go directly to the pump, but to the IC first, then through the HE, then through the pump, back to the tank. This is the ideal way to set it up anyway. So its not an even split if thats the case, it more like the pump is being made to pull water through 75% of the system, and only pushing it through the other 25%. Proper pump placement is extremely important. Don't take my word for it, ask anyone who works with pumps for a living. Ponds, tanks, water distribution, its all the same.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Just to clarify, if your system is pulling straight from your tank to the pump, then a longer length of hose will not be a huge problem. But if its pulling that length through the IC and HE as I described, then there will be issues.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Its too bad that you and they think this, because its absolutely not true. These are centrifugal pumps. Perhaps the most common pump in the world. They all work the same. Water entering the pump receives kinetic energy from a rotating impeller, and the centrifugal action accelerates the water to a higher velocity. You are transferring mechanical energy to the water. Quite simply put, a centrifugal pump is good at pushing water, not pulling it. I am going to take a wild guess and say that the water from your tank does not go directly to the pump, but to the IC first, then through the HE, then through the pump, back to the tank. This is the ideal way to set it up anyway. So its not an even split if thats the case, it more like the pump is being made to pull water through 75% of the system, and only pushing it through the other 25%. Proper pump placement is extremely important. Don't take my word for it, ask anyone who works with pumps for a living. Ponds, tanks, water distribution, its all the same.

I'm well aware of this type of pump, thanks for assuming we are all morons. Your previous statement makes no sense. Regardless of where the pump is mounted, it will always be pulling the same amount of water at the same rate. Being 1 foot away from the tank or 12 feet, it doesn't matter.

In fact, the pressure on my impeller is greater than it would be if I would have mounted it closer to the tank.

Centrifugal pumps are very versatile and can be mounted in many ways, as long as they remain primed.

I have first hand experience with these types of pumps. I spent much time in college working directly with hydraulic centrifugal pumps at Albemarle in Houston. It was our responsibility to ensure these pumps were the most efficient in the world. Albemarle uses these pumps to handle fluids and waste during the production of pharmaceuticals and petroleum refining. These pumps were the size of your car, but they still work exactly the same.

You are wrong, my pump is connected directly to my tank, with the tank mounted higher.

Think about what you said for a second...

Originally Posted by Code3
If you are asking the pump to pull suction through half the system, and push through the other half, it is not going to last long, as you have added a lot more length to the system. Just some thoughts.
I don't know about you, but my IC system is sealed. This means that no matter where you put the pump after the tank, it will have the same pull/push force on the impeller as long as the system remains sealed.

My setup:

Tank-->12 feet of hose-->Pump-->Hose-->IC in-->IC out-->HE-->12 feet of hose-->Tank

Moving the pump to within 1 foot of the tank will make no difference.

Tank-->Pump-->12 foot hose-->IC in-->IC out-->HE-->12 feet of hose-->Tank
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Just to clarify, if your system is pulling straight from your tank to the pump, then a longer length of hose will not be a huge problem. But if its pulling that length through the IC and HE as I described, then there will be issues.
Agreed
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I always thought the Johnson CM30 pump would last 4life ! hopefully there is an answer out there for a longer life pump.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
I value your input Brandon, I just disagree somewhat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First victim of Johnson pump failure...