C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

02-03 changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 11:41 PM
JJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02-03 changes

Just got my 2003 as a replacement for my problematic 2002. Thought I'd detail the major cosmetic changes I have noticed on my 2003 car if anyone is interested:

Exterior:
1. Bi- Xenons (obvious change but very cool looking).
2. Center wheel caps are silver and not blue.
3. Tires are Pilot Sports (not P-Zeros).
4. Exterior B-Pillar door trim is shiny black (not carbon fiberesque look).

Interior:
1. Steering wheel controls are on steering column (as opposed to on the drivers door),
2. HVAC unit very different. Heat/Cool buttons look different, Auto button cannot be pushed fully in, EC now says AC off. Different feel to the buttons in general.
3. Carpeting is different (the texture and feel). Actually feels cheaper.
4. AMG mats do not snap into place on the floor.
5. AMG mats completely different to 2002 version!
6. First Aid kit is now in trunk strapped onto left hand side (was under one of the rear parcel shelf speaker covers in 2002). Speaker cover does not open.
7. Center vent on dash has been removed.
8. Full size spare tire in trunk.
9. Interior Trunk covering/carpeting material is different - feels cheaper.
10. Trunk opens fully. It stopped at a 3/4 open position on my 2002.
11. Easy entry/exit seat programming changed. Seat does not move immediately in on starting the engine - takes a few more seconds.
12. Some minor changes to the wording of menus in the in-dash display.
13. AMG plaque on the engine, signed by the tech who built it.

Thats all I can think of right now, but I'm enjoying the new car. Feels the same as the 2002 in drivability, but I'll know for sure once I hit 1000 miles and can really open it up. Fingers crossed I don't get the same problems the 2002 had. That would be seriously bad luck and would force me to reconsider my decision to buy MB!

Oh yeah, anyone know how much the SL aluminum pedalset is and if it fits on the C32 easily? I'd like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few questions:

1. can you take a pic of the new AMG mats, wonder what it looks like
2. someone said the '03 C32 is faster than the '02 due to different programming of the ECU, are you able to "feel" the difference yet?
3. the turn signal rod is supposed to be thicker, isnt it?
4. the door handles are also supposed to be thicker, yes? no?
5. just out of curiosity, did MB buy back yr '02 or did you have to trade it in?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:12 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally posted by Harris
A few questions:

1. can you take a pic of the new AMG mats, wonder what it looks like
2. someone said the '03 C32 is faster than the '02 due to different programming of the ECU, are you able to "feel" the difference yet?
3. the turn signal rod is supposed to be thicker, isnt it?
4. the door handles are also supposed to be thicker, yes? no?
5. just out of curiosity, did MB buy back yr '02 or did you have to trade it in?

Thanks!!!
as for 2, i don't think it's faster. i might feel faster but i remember someone doing a test run side by side w/ an '03 and was the same from 0-120mph.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:56 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
for exterior

2. the center caps on the rims have always been BLACK not blue.
3. Tires on my 02 are PilotSport. Tires are dependent on the supplier, which for a period of time it might be pilot and another might be p=zero.

for interior

2. how does the buttom different? are they like those on the new CLK? (which has blue and red triangle instead of being whole red/blue)
5. not sure what you mean by the mat being totally different.
10. the trunk on mine fully opens, but it will sometimes get stuck at the 3/4 position when it pops open. i think it's the problem is the not so smooth hinge.
13. as for the plaque. i'm sure 02 has the same quality as the 03. all the AMGs before MY03 doesn't have the plaque. It sure looks cool alright!!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:10 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally posted by FrankW

for interior

2. how does the buttom different? are they like those on the new CLK? (which has blue and red triangle instead of being whole red/blue)
5. not sure what you mean by the mat being totally different.
10. the trunk on mine fully opens, but it will sometimes get stuck at the 3/4 position when it pops open. i think it's the problem is the not so smooth hinge.
as for 10., it depends on the spring tensioner in the trunk. you can adjust this tensioner yourself if it's not opening up all the way.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:08 AM
JJM

Harris,

1. Will try to post a pic asap.
2. Not feeling any difference in performance as yet - still not passed the 1000 mile mark.
3+4. No noticeable difference in the turn signal rod or door handles. Having said that its 4 months since I had the 02 car.

FrankW,

The center caps on my 02 were definitley BLUE!! lol I had one of the very first '02's.
HVAC buttons have the red/blue triangle yes, and they feel different when you press them. Maybe they fixed the sticky button problem????
The mats in my 02 were black with gray/silver lettering. The new mats have blue appointments, the lettering is different - it's just a different look - I still like it!

amgme,
Thanks for the trunk tensioner tip! I'll search for a post that describes how to do it.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
av2

C32 AMG
After driving my friend's 03' model, the turn signal rod is thinner not thicker. The drivability of his car has improved due to the ecu upgrade for the 03' tranny. Plus they fix the stupid "bird" sound. I got my update too and now it drives f'ing smooth but still have a "bird" in my hood.

I was the one racing my friend's 03' from 0-120 mph. The speed is clearly identical between the two cars, but I led the race by 1/2 car length due to better take off. Somehow, I remember pulling the distance between 20-30 mph.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:21 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
JJM, mine is black. maybe the early 02s have blue ones.

here is a picture of my center cap.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/goldenboy...c=ph%26.view=t
Old 11-22-2002, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by av2
After driving my friend's 03' model, the turn signal rod is thinner not thicker. The drivability of his car has improved due to the ecu upgrade for the 03' tranny. Plus they fix the stupid "bird" sound. I got my update too and now it drives f'ing smooth but still have a "bird" in my hood.

I was the one racing my friend's 03' from 0-120 mph. The speed is clearly identical between the two cars, but I led the race by 1/2 car length due to better take off. Somehow, I remember pulling the distance between 20-30 mph.

May I know what kind of ECU upgrade have you done? What shall I tell my service guy to do?

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 03:43 AM
av2

C32 AMG
May I know what kind of ECU upgrade have you done? What shall I tell my service guy to do?

Thanks a lot!!!
I just told them to replace my tranny ECU with the 03' models because they shift must smoother. The dealer will test your car to see if it's qualified for the update.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2002, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by av2
I just told them to replace my tranny ECU with the 03' models because they shift must smoother. The dealer will test your car to see if it's qualified for the update.

Good Luck
What part number and comments do they say on your service record? Thanks again av2.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JJM
Harris,

......Will try to post a pic asap......The mats in my 02 were black with gray/silver lettering. The new mats have blue appointments, the lettering is different - it's just a different look - I still like it!

JJM: I was asking my parts buddy and see if he knows anything about the new mats but no luck. So far, all the '03s in town still have the old black and silver AMG mats. He said if I can give him the VIN number or the part number of the mats, he can track it down. I dont think you will have the part number for the mats, is it possible for you to e-mail me your VIN number and let me try? Thanks!!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:04 PM
av2

C32 AMG
What part number and comments do they say on your service record? Thanks again av2.
According to my service record, the cause was a faulty trans control module. The part number is SPO 030 545 23 32. The repair cost was $973 and paid under warranty of course. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JJM
Harris,

1. Will try to post a pic asap.

JJM: I am still looking forward to your new AMG mats!! Pics!?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:50 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
JJM: I am still looking forward to your new AMG mats!! Pics!?
i'm also waiting here. where's the pics??
Old 12-06-2002, 09:01 AM
JJM

Been too busy guys, sorry! Will try to get around to it this weekend. They are probably the same mats you guys have, but they are noticably different to the mats I had in my 2002.