C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Brandon I say due to my finally understanding your intake mod my question needs not be answered...thank
Old 05-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
The cool thing about this for us CA guys is that it is so stealth. I don't think the emissions people will even be able to tell a difference in comparison to some huge stainless tube with a cone filter sticking out lol.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
I thought the samething. So I just need to take a look under the hood and find out where these screens are. I thought I would have to mess with tubing etc.

Originally Posted by c32used
I feel like an idiot guys All this time I was thinking the intake mod was the entire piece including the stock intake...boy I feel stupid

So its just this part with the screws and filter...I get it now.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by bud4ya
So I just need to take a look under the hood and find out where these screens are.
They aren't there... that's the point. The stock set-up is a solid plate - Code3's modified intake replaces the stock plate with a filtered screen, so the engine can draw air from this as a 3rd source when needed.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
They aren't there... that's the point. The stock set-up is a solid plate - Code3's modified intake replaces the stock plate with a filtered screen, so the engine can draw air from this as a 3rd source when needed.

I am concerned with hot air from engine bay though unless re-routed to outside air...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bud4ya
I thought the samething. So I just need to take a look under the hood and find out where these screens are. I thought I would have to mess with tubing etc.
Hey atleast you aren't alone. Its easy cause all you have to do is look at your stock intake and remove the backplate(ontop very visible) thus install C3P mod then your done. I wonder if we can modify a hood with a small opening and an extension to route the air to come from outside but I presume more filteration will be recommended and defeating the possible hp...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I am concerned with hot air from engine bay though unless re-routed to outside air...
it will draw hot air from the engine bay if that's an open filter. the 55 splitter still trumps it with no modification needed.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankW
it will draw hot air from the engine bay if that's an open filter. the 55 splitter still trumps it with no modification needed.
You have to try it.

I made a home version and It worked..

Best of all.. you can go back to stock in minutes. No need to get bigger air intake boxes, hoses and the Y 55 splitter.

too much $$.

Just K&N's and add the Code3 intake filter.. and your done
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by TopGun32
You have to try it.

I made a home version and It worked..

Best of all.. you can go back to stock in minutes. No need to get bigger air intake boxes, hoses and the Y 55 splitter.

too much $$.

Just K&N's and add the Code3 intake filter.. and your done
I didn't change my airbox for the 55 splitter. all i used was two little tube at the end of it and the splitter fits like a glove.

I think the main thing is to open up the end where the T-splitter is pinched with that top cover.

Last edited by FrankW; 05-05-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankW
I didn't change my airbox for the 55 splitter. all i used was two little tube at the end of it and the splitter fits like a glove.

I think the main thing is to open up the end where the T-splitter is pinched with that top cover.
i know what you are saying..

I tested my E55 splitter on my C32 yesterday.. another little project.

The C32 splitter is thinner and lacks the volume of the 55 Y splittler.

The Y 55 splitter will work but don't expect the same gains as this intake mod. The Y splitter is limited by the 2 air filters. Adding the 3 inlet is the key.

The main thing is throttle response.. its great and the sound. Like a supercharged "mustang". Your car will sound mean.

Once I have it.. Let's meet up and you can try it on your car.

-Joe
Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I will start a separate post on the intake mod to discuss the concerns that I figured would be raised. I would love for someone to show me an SL55 intake dyno that makes the same power we are. In fact, most people gain very little, or nothing at all. We picked up 13/13 to the rear wheels throughout the entire powerband, with a minor rise in IATs, and people think this is a bad thing. Remember, you are still pulling in cooler air from the front via the stock airboxes. As I mentioned, cruising IATs are not affected, and full boost IATs are. But you have to look at the bigger picture. You get a .6psi increase in boost. This translates to more power and much needed increase in throttle response. Its an easy 5 minute bolt on that is stealthy, sounds great, and feels great. The numbers speak for themselves.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/217402-those-c32-sl55-y-pipe.html

Frank, want to try it out? I will be down your way this week
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32
Have the intakes started shipping?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I would love for someone to show me an SL55 intake dyno that makes the same power we are. In fact, most people gain very little, or nothing at all
Hmmm...............

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=r&d
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Perfect! Thanks for the link Vadim, I was going to post that as well, being thats the only one I could find that made any power, and a poor one at that. Lets discuss it...If you actually take a look at that dyno, you will see the power gains are ALL at the top end. 10.2rwhp/8.9rwtq. It doesn't start making any power until 5650rpm, and makes its peak power through 6050rpm. Did you even look at our dyno?

Here is our intake on a stock C32.

Of course here it is with the pulley.

So 2004, any others? There has been plenty of talk over the years about people that gained little to nothing with the SL55 intake. Looking for direct before and afters. I will post some this week if no one has any
Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
I will start a separate post on the intake mod to discuss the concerns that I figured would be raised. I would love for someone to show me an SL55 intake dyno that makes the same power we are. In fact, most people gain very little, or nothing at all. We picked up 13/13 to the rear wheels throughout the entire powerband, with a minor rise in IATs, and people think this is a bad thing. Remember, you are still pulling in cooler air from the front via the stock airboxes. As I mentioned, cruising IATs are not affected, and full boost IATs are. But you have to look at the bigger picture. You get a .6psi increase in boost. This translates to more power and much needed increase in throttle response. Its an easy 5 minute bolt on that is stealthy, sounds great, and feels great. The numbers speak for themselves.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217402

Frank, want to try it out? I will be down your way this week

You guys keep talking about the power you can make but the hot air going into the third opening is being addressed as fine during normal crusing and worse during hard driving...but most don't just cruise these cars so IATs will be on the highside alot...the SL55 "Y" Splitter doesn't permit the engines bay hot air to come in like this intake mod will...its a con if used without a heat exchanger which means to upgrade the I/C pump also...Its a cool idea if somehow the air came from the outside which I bet its safe to say more filtration will be needed thus messing with the amount of air coming in thus less HP/TQ. The thread that talked about the SL55 "Y"Splitter is on a SRT6 with no mods at the time...and I had said that the SL55 "Y" Splitter stand alone might not make much but coupled with other mods it does. If its the whinnie noise you seek well removing the baffs can create that whinny noise from the SuperCharger...Since its known the C32 already suffers from heatsoak then this mod alone on a non heat exchanger C32 will suffer maybe worse..I say try to create a way to get outside air in and sell with intake mod...if its mentioned that the SL55 "Y" Splitter permits hot air from the engine bay to come in well yes it does but not anywhere near the amount of hot air this mod will create...God you must think I have something against you Brandon...but I don't! I really want to see how a S/C pullied combined with a crank pullied C32 will do.

Last edited by c32used; 05-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Wow, all I can say is,

You cant see the forest for the trees...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Anyone that talks to me knows that the first mod I recommend is a heat exchanger. That being said, if you have a larger HE, then you have no issues. You keep saying we should find a way to bring in cooler air, why...? We already have two good sources of cool air being fed into the system. Obviously under full throttle its still receiving cool air or IATs would be through the roof. I tested numerous intake setups over many months, on the road and the dyno, and this was the best by far. It makes great power across the entire powerband. Why is that so hard for some people to accept? Because its different?

Dont worry, there are some head to heads happening this week and next, both on the dyno and at the track.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 AM

C32
Same issue I am thinking of C32used.

One extra issue I have is the new proportion of air from each intake channel. With the stock set up, I assume air going into the throttle from both channels is 50/50. With the new 3 channel system, I would doubt a 33.33% for each channel, wonder if the 3rd channel would suck in the most air.

You guys keep talking about the power you can make but the hot air going into the third opening is being addressed as fine during normal crusing and worse during hard driving...but most don't just cruise these cars so IATs will be on the highside alot...the SL55 "Y" Splitter doesn't permit the engines bay hot air to come in like this intake mod will...its a con if used without a heat exchanger which means to upgrade the I/C pump also...Its a cool idea if somehow the air came from the outside which I bet its safe to say more filtration will be needed thus messing with the amount of air coming in thus less HP/TQ. The thread that talked about the SL55 "Y"Splitter is on a SRT6 with no mods at the time...and I had said that the SL55 "Y" Splitter stand alone might not make much but coupled with other mods it does. If its the whinnie noise you seek well removing the baffs can create that whinny noise from the SuperCharger...Since its known the C32 already suffers from heatsoak then this mod alone on a non heat exchanger C32 will suffer maybe worse..I say try to create a way to get outside air in and sell with intake mod...if its mentioned that the SL55 "Y" Splitter permits hot air from the engine bay to come in well yes it does but not anywhere near the amount of hot air this mod will create...God you must think I have something against you Brandon...but I don't! I really want to see how a S/C pullied combined with a crank pullied C32 will do.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i currently have the full 55 intake now. lol...with my headers and muffler i can barely hear the supercharger...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

...its a con if used without a heat exchanger which means to upgrade the I/C pump also...

Its a cool idea if somehow the air came from the outside which I bet its safe to say more filtration will be needed thus messing with the amount of air coming in thus less HP/TQ.

Since its known the C32 already suffers from heatsoak then this mod alone on a non heat exchanger C32 will suffer maybe worse..

the SL55 "Y" Splitter permits hot air from the engine bay to come in well yes it does but not anywhere near the amount of hot air this mod will create...
These are a LOT of conclusions pulled out of thin air. You've seized on the fact that underhood air is coming into the system, and from there have concluded (as have others) that an upgraded heat exchanger is mandatory; and even with that mod, it's still somehow a problem. All this without any data or testing. No doubt, warmer intake air is a disadvantage; but a less restrictive intake is an advantage.

Not surprisingly, the people touting the h/e mod have already done it (or are selling it) and the people touting the SL55 splitter have either done it (or are selling it).

Advice to Code 3 -- Focus on product delivery and try to ignore the noise. Test the components separately, report the results and let the people who buy and install the product(s) debate the many permutations.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Advice to Code 3 -- Focus on product delivery and try to ignore the noise. Test the components separately, report the results and let the people who buy and install the product(s) debate the many permutations.

+1 my friend

See yeah
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Brilliant
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Anyone that talks to me knows that the first mod I recommend is a heat exchanger. That being said, if you have a larger HE, then you have no issues. You keep saying we should find a way to bring in cooler air, why...? We already have two good sources of cool air being fed into the system. Obviously under full throttle its still receiving cool air or IATs would be through the roof. I tested numerous intake setups over many months, on the road and the dyno, and this was the best by far. It makes great power across the entire powerband. Why is that so hard for some people to accept? Because its different?

Dont worry, there are some head to heads happening this week and next, both on the dyno and at the track.
I am not by any means a mechanic or an engine engineer but those popped in my head and I am asking cause what if those are issues then you can address them right? Should I just stay mute and let things happen and not give my concerns? Should I just PM them to you? I write them cause I am concern that a closed hood with an engine thats been running for a while will create very hot air under the hood and the third entry openned by this mod is sucking in that air and mixing it with the other two that will mostly be colder air right? You thought of a mod thats beneficial and I think it cool but have concerns and I get treated this way for asking....Like I wrote you must think I dislike you...Gl with your products
Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
These are a LOT of conclusions pulled out of thin air. You've seized on the fact that underhood air is coming into the system, and from there have concluded (as have others) that an upgraded heat exchanger is mandatory; and even with that mod, it's still somehow a problem. All this without any data or testing. No doubt, warmer intake air is a disadvantage; but a less restrictive intake is an advantage.

Not surprisingly, the people touting the h/e mod have already done it (or are selling it) and the people touting the SL55 splitter have either done it (or are selling it).

Ok...since you are basicall saying I or others have issues or concerns....tell me what is this forum for? Its common sence to me that we need to address the heatsoak issue on our C32s and thus H/E and I/C pumps are recommended but not required as much to non modded C32s. I say whats on my mind so it can be addressed and what should I not ask....lets do this I have 24hrs to delete my comments...is that the preferred route for you guys?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
+1 my friend

See yeah
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
Brilliant
These are logical concerns and some may not say anything while others will and I am an other...not everyone thinks of these probabillities so the ones that do should say them and have them addressed right? My was a concern thats all and its hard to believe its taken as anything else...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley