C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....

What did you all use to make the rear intake tubes 'fit' to the stock air boxes?

I am trying to install the SL55 Y-pipe, but retain the stock air boxes. This is on an SRT6 (basically the same as your C32's and the SLK32)

Do the SL55 rear intake tubes work in length and diameter size? If so, this would be the obvious choice...I just don't want to throw money at them if they wont work, so I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by ShawnQ
What did you all use to make the rear intake tubes 'fit' to the stock air boxes?

I am trying to install the SL55 Y-pipe, but retain the stock air boxes. This is on an SRT6 (basically the same as your C32's and the SLK32)

Do the SL55 rear intake tubes work in length and diameter size? If so, this would be the obvious choice...I just don't want to throw money at them if they wont work, so I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn
I went to ace hardware and got a rubber plumbing coupler and cut the ends off. It was about 5 bucks for 4 of them....I got two sizes.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response - any chance you have any pictures of this?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response - any chance you have any pictures of this?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
I don't have pics of mine, but I found this pic, which is very close. Mine was the same size on both ends.

All you have to do is cut the rubber on the inside of the metal clamp. You will take the 1/4 - 1/2 piece of rubber and put it on the airbox. The splitter will then fit snug and you can use your clamp to make it a tight fit. Take your airbox to ace or home depot so you can get the right size coupler.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 PM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
I'm wondering if the airbox on your car is different than the one on my car...

I will go to the hardware store in a minute (they are open until 9cst), and I'll have a look.

Here is what my intake setup looks like :

SQ
Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I'm wondering if the airbox on your car is different than the one on my car...

I will go to the hardware store in a minute (they are open until 9cst), and I'll have a look.

Here is what my intake setup looks like :

SQ

Jerry installed mine and its the part pictured but cut in half to use on each side...........no major difference it looks like it will work.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
I got it all installed and figured out! Here's the link to the whole write-up if it helps you C32 guys at all:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...442#post169442

Here's a pic, looks stock!

Seems like it helped a decent amount on the low end! I plan to dyno it with and without it later, possible Saturday. I may take it to the track Friday night as well. Without it, I ran a 13.27 @108..we'll see if it helps.

Thanks for the info.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I got it all installed and figured out! Here's the link to the whole write-up if it helps you C32 guys at all:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...442#post169442

Here's a pic, looks stock!

Seems like it helped a decent amount on the low end! I plan to dyno it with and without it later, possible Saturday. I may take it to the track Friday night as well. Without it, I ran a 13.27 @108..we'll see if it helps.

Thanks for the info.

SQ
The rubber tube extenders look longer 4 you then us.....its hard to notice on our C32 but yours definitely looks like something the dealer might fuss about....thanks for your info look at my profile and look at threads that says last updates I believe there is a closeup pic there with the covers painted red.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
I don't think the space is any different.

However, I'd be willing to bet that your air distributor (Y-Pipe) on your car, when stock, is not as wide as the one on the SRT - thus making the stock inlet tubes longer on your car. If you look at the pic above, and this pic

, you can see that the inlet tubes on your car have more ribs and are much longer than the stock ones on my car. This leads me to believe the Y-Pipe on your car, when stock, is shorter than that of the SRT (unless these inlet tubes on this pic are not stock?).

There was about a 1.5-2" gap between the end of my stock inlet tubes, and the air box outlets when I installed the SL55 Y-Pipe.

I'd be curious to see a width on the stock C32 Y-Pipe, and a length on the stock C32 inlet tubes.

SQ

Last edited by ShawnQ; 11-08-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32

Thanks for the info.

SQ
IINM it's been shown pretty conclusively that this will have no effect on engine output or behavior at all as a mod by itself - and maybe even with other common supporting mods. Maybe I'm recalling this incorrectly, but I don't think so.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
Bif,

I'm wondering if the stock C32 Ypipe is not as restrictive as the one on the SRT?

I'll let you know the results I end up with.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Bif powell
IINM it's been shown pretty conclusively that this will have no effect on engine output or behavior at all as a mod by itself - and maybe even with other common supporting mods. Maybe I'm recalling this incorrectly, but I don't think so.
I beg to differ Bif if it provides more air it has to do something imo...maybe not stand alone but coupled with other simple mods it should. Why would huge manufacturers sell full SL55 setup? He is gonna dyno and track this mod so his conclusions should bring more light to this topic right? Its still the same engine he is using it on so results should pertain to us to. Lets wait and see and either you or the ones who believe it does will be proven wrong. My main point is there are people trying to make a little extra hp for the lowest price and well with other mods I say this should provide something but his tests should be conclusive to this mod topic. It appears stand alone mod so it should be interesting.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I don't think the space is any different.

However, I'd be willing to bet that your air distributor (Y-Pipe) on your car, when stock, is not as wide as the one on the SRT - thus making the stock inlet tubes longer on your car. If you look at the pic above, and this pic

, you can see that the inlet tubes on your car have more ribs and are much longer than the stock ones on my car. This leads me to believe the Y-Pipe on your car, when stock, is shorter than that of the SRT (unless these inlet tubes on this pic are not stock?).

There was about a 1.5-2" gap between the end of my stock inlet tubes, and the air box outlets when I installed the SL55 Y-Pipe.

I'd be curious to see a width on the stock C32 Y-Pipe, and a length on the stock C32 inlet tubes.

SQ
I will take a pic of the stock y pipe so you can compare and the after but close up but it seems the y pipes for the SRT6 and the C32 are the same. Just one has longer tubes connecting the y pipe to the airboxes. Even with the extenders its not a perfect fit for us C32 owners.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
Here's a pic comparing the stock SRT Y-Pipe to the SL55 Y-Pipe. You can see the difference in flow capabilities.

Side by side -

Depth of the SRT-6 Y-Pipe

Depth of the SL55 Y-Pipe:

(the actual depth on both of these were actually less one inch and some change, I 'burned' an inch when measuring. I couldn't hold the ruler tight on the SRT one, so it is shallower than the measurement shows.)

So, you can see the openings are less restrictive, and the depth is greater (more volume). I'm not sure, but it SHOULD help (feels like it did).

I'll try to get dyno and track times ASAP.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
No way to be sure without a dyno. In a pressurized intake, flow characteristics before the supercharger are relevant only to the extent that the OEM setup is constricted at the Y-pipe. Every flow system has its choke point. It may or not be at the Y-pipe.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
It sounds like it is flowing more air, and the supercharger is much more audible. We'll find out soon.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Here's a pic comparing the stock SRT Y-Pipe to the SL55 Y-Pipe. You can see the difference in flow capabilities.

Side by side -

Depth of the SRT-6 Y-Pipe

Depth of the SL55 Y-Pipe:

(the actual depth on both of these were actually less one inch and some change, I 'burned' an inch when measuring. I couldn't hold the ruler tight on the SRT one, so it is shallower than the measurement shows.)

So, you can see the openings are less restrictive, and the depth is greater (more volume). I'm not sure, but it SHOULD help (feels like it did).

I'll try to get dyno and track times ASAP.

SQ

Hey Shawn here are pics of C32 stock and SL55 Y splitters you can see they look identical to the setup in your pic but we used less tubing to extend it while your guy used what looks like a 2 and a half tube on each side and we used 2 and a half total divided by two on each side....hope this helps PM me if you need actual dimensions of the stock Y splitter ok.

Attached Thumbnails Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2925.jpg   Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2926.jpg   Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2927.jpg   Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2928.jpg   Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2929.jpg  

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
One more
Attached Thumbnails Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....-cimg2930.jpg  
Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
C32,

When you purchased your Y-Pipe, did it come with hoses already attached?

I believe you have the updated version of the SL55 Y-Pipe, because they sell it with the inlet hoses already attached (and I think I see the MB clamps on yours, meaning they came pre-fitted).

If so, that's why yours are different...you have SL55 Y-Pipe AND SL55 inlet hoses. My car has ONLY the SL55 Y-Pipe, with STOCK Inlet Hoses and 2" couplers to extend them.

Thanks for the pics...clears it up! I was wondering whether or not the stock SL55 Inlet tubes would work, it appears that they TOO have to be extended.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
They are the same POS splitter.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
C32,

When you purchased your Y-Pipe, did it come with hoses already attached?

I believe you have the updated version of the SL55 Y-Pipe, because they sell it with the inlet hoses already attached (and I think I see the MB clamps on yours, meaning they came pre-fitted).

If so, that's why yours are different...you have SL55 Y-Pipe AND SL55 inlet hoses. My car has ONLY the SL55 Y-Pipe, with STOCK Inlet Hoses and 2" couplers to extend them.

Thanks for the pics...clears it up! I was wondering whether or not the stock SL55 Inlet tubes would work, it appears that they TOO have to be extended.

SQ
I believe they did but we used only the splitter....
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Also really stretched it to fit with the small extenders...........I think this way helps to keep practically the specs considered at factory for the original y pipe. But not at all sure...

Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 AM

SRT-6 (3.2 AMG)
Originally Posted by c32used
Also really stretched it to fit with the small extenders...........I think this way helps to keep practically the specs considered at factory for the original y pipe. But not at all sure...

It looks to me like you used part # 113-090-01-29 , and left the hoses on it.

Either way, thanks for the pics and info - it has helped a lot.

SQ
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
No way to be sure without a dyno. In a pressurized intake, flow characteristics before the supercharger are relevant only to the extent that the OEM setup is constricted at the Y-pipe. Every flow system has its choke point. It may or not be at the Y-pipe.
Please keep in mind based on my mods and dyno that mods like Magnecor wires, SL55 splitter, Denso Iridium plugs and after market filters didn't give me a gain according to dyno figures based on stock from other members. But the car definitely felt smoother and quicker. I say this with the aftermarket air filters should provide better and quicker responce a stronger feeling. Once I dyno tomorrow with the pulleys I will get an idea what only the pulleys are putting out cause already dynoed with other simple mods and 299 RWHP(uncorrected) was my best thus far while 275RWHP was my worse (uncorrect) with different dirty filters.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
It looks to me like you used part # 113-090-01-29 , and left the hoses on it.

Either way, thanks for the pics and info - it has helped a lot.

SQ
Actually we used the hoses from the stock splitter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with C32 and SL55 Y-Pipe....